HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Face-off question (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=410995)

Phoenix 08-17-2007 08:20 AM

Face-off question

This should be a nice easy question....in a face-off, is it strategically better for the center to try and send the puck to the wings or the Ds?

The impression I get is that the answer is the Ds?

WhipNash27 08-17-2007 08:22 AM

Ds is usually easier. The best way to win a faceoff is to cheat as much as the ref/linesman will let you ;). Of course good timing is also another plus :).

Ludicrous Speed 08-17-2007 09:17 AM

getting it to the wings is too complicated for me....i just win all the face-offs and give em to the D

FLYLine24* 08-17-2007 10:38 AM

Just don't be that guy who tries to shoot it off the faceoff every time on the offensive zone.

sc37 08-17-2007 10:44 AM

The D since no one is all over them already like the wingers who are lined up right across from someone. And win it to the D farthest from the middle.

LordHelmet 08-17-2007 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix (Post 10203038)
This should be a nice easy question....in a face-off, is it strategically better for the center to try and send the puck to the wings or the Ds?

The impression I get is that the answer is the Ds?

Better? D. Your team gains full possession and has a few moments to maybe run a set play.

Easier? Wing. In the rare case that I play center, my first read is to find a matchup advantage on one wing or the other. That decides whether to go left or right.

When the puck drops, explode on it and force it to that side. If you can send it back behind you a little bit too, then that's just gravy. But even if you can't pull it back at all, the matchup advantage that your wing has will likely result in your team getting possession.

Also, if you direct your effort to winning the the east-west portion of the draw, you're almost never going to allow the other guy a clean win back to his D.

Note: One exception - if you're taking a draw on the dot in your own end, regardless of matchups, always try to send it to the boards.

Again, pull it back to the corner if you're able to, but 99% of your effort should be directed at sending the puck to the boards. The wing over there should know that it's coming his way and that his job is to help it back to the D.

xeric716x 08-17-2007 11:25 AM

i always try and go back

frito 08-17-2007 03:29 PM

It depends. In the defensive zone I always try to win it down to the corner. It means switching my grip depending on the side of the ice we're on but that is the safest play.

In the neutral zone i generally try to win it back to my defense to get the clear puck posession.

In the offensive zone is where I play around a little more. Sometimes I'll have my net side winger line up at the high end of the circle vs. on the hash marks and win it back to him. We've gotten a few quick goals that way.

Other times I try to win it back to my D to get a quck shot. This can be risky at times as sometimes the other center will sense I am doing this and "Help" me win this face off by getting it so hard it goes out of the zone. We have control but now have to regroup.

Other times yet I'll win it to my winger on the boards who can fire a quick pass to the center ice D man for a shot. Other times if I'm having bad luck on the face offs I'll just try to win by making my swipe a shot and hope my net side winger can get to the net quickly enough for a rebound chance before the goalie covers or clears.

yes, I can over think these things sometimes but I really love our team getting that tic tac toe goal right off a face off. It's my favorite way to get an assist.

Harbinger04 08-18-2007 12:35 AM

depends on the zone,

in the D zone either tie up the man and let a wing/d get it or send it back towards your d man

in neutral zone try to either push through the puck and get around the player, tie him up, or pass to a d or wing (option A is the best, usually catches them by surprise +give you a 2-3 on 2)

in the offensive zone pass to the d ONLY if they will be able to control it, also better to send it to the one closer to the boards, or B shoot it at the net, believe me it works because it surprises both the goalie and the D and also you have a man standing right there for the rebound

Jeffw-13 08-18-2007 07:36 AM

Alot of guys I play against try to hit it forward to our side. Never understood that.:shakehead

I usually try to win it back to the D.

sc37 08-18-2007 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffw-13 (Post 10210362)
Alot of guys I play against try to hit it forward to our side. Never understood that.:shakehead

I usually try to win it back to the D.

Well the play we use a lot towards the center of the ice is to hit it forward so one of the wingers can just break towards the opposing center's rear-end when the puck drops. You get some nice breaks that way cause if exexcuted well, the dmen are flat-footed and all the other forwards are still in the faceoff circle while your skating down the ice already.

MacBeatsPang 08-20-2007 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc37 (Post 10210938)
Well the play we use a lot towards the center of the ice is to hit it forward so one of the wingers can just break towards the opposing center's rear-end when the puck drops. You get some nice breaks that way cause if exexcuted well, the dmen are flat-footed and all the other forwards are still in the faceoff circle while your skating down the ice already.

This play can work particularly well in roller hockey because if your winger can get to it he'll have more space.

Phoenix 08-27-2007 08:40 AM

here's another Q....does it vary from league to league (or level) but in the beginning I'd always thought your stick blade had to be touching the ice waiting for the puck to be dropped at the face-off. However, I've noticed a lot of the higher division players don't, and I personally too have had much more success holding my stick off the ice whilst waiting. Does it just depend on the leniency of the ref?!

WhipNash27 08-27-2007 09:25 AM

Wouldn't suprise me if it depends on the ref. Also probably in higher leagues the refs let the players get away with a little more.

sc37 08-27-2007 10:22 PM

Yeah it's supposed to be down on the litte white tab on each side and your feet are supposed to be within the lines too. Only ppl do get away with stuff. I personally have a little bounce with my blade when I take faceoffs so it's not entirely still so I can get a better jump on the puck. The refs are strict on the faceoffs in our league or so it seems, but I can get away with the little taps. Its kinda akin to keeping your feet moving no matter what so you don't get caught flat footed.

OilerNut* 08-28-2007 01:42 AM

I have been playing centre quite a bit lately. No one has really taught me the tricks of winning a faceoff. I don't usually do too badly, but would like some lessons on it. All the hockey programs i've been to focused more on skating, shooting and positioning. Anyone else in the same boat?

Rapid eye movemenT 08-28-2007 12:36 PM

I just started playing center this past season and I have a fairly good face off winning %. Probably the biggest advantage you could have is learning to anticipate when the ref is about to drop the puck. Pay attention to his gestures when he does drop and learn the timing of it. I usually pay very close attention for the first few drops so I can have this advantage. Once you know this, its all about reacting right away. Don't watch the puck drop. Watch the movement of the refs arm and hand in your peripheral vision and keep your eyes down at the ice. Once you notice the QUE (that you should have studied), REACT.

I almost always pull the puck back to my D. I always direct where I want them as well. I'd say my strong side as a lefty is directly behind me, or to the left. If I have a Dman out there who I know has a canon, but is playing my weak side, I'll have them switch for the face off.

Sometimes, depending on my wing, I'll poke the puck behind the center and my wing picks it up (obviously knowing what my plan is) and we'll set up a rush into their zone.

In the D zone, I always send it directly in back of me to the dman, tie up the center, and instruct my the weak side wing to get to the boards for the pick up. The strong side wing will try and tie up their opposing wing and the other D will tie up the man-free rushing wing (since our wing went to the boards). Once the puck gets around the boards, us forwards cut in for a break out play.

Grave77digger 08-28-2007 03:20 PM

Quote:

I scored on a partial breakaway in our playoff game last week on that exact play. The center singled out there slow dman and and won the face off up the ice towards the boards, I just took off up ice as soon as the puck dropped. The dman fell over himself trying to get back.:biglaugh:

Lyons71 08-28-2007 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88 (Post 10203821)
Just don't be that guy who tries to shoot it off the faceoff every time on the offensive zone.

I scored a goal on an empty net this way once. (from the dot outside my blueline)

But yeah, in the Ozone you gotta poke it through the other center's legs and THEN get the shot off. It's fun to try, but you can only get away with it once.

In rec hockey, (adult leagues) faceoffs aren't nearly as fun as they were in club as a kid. You can't just launch into the other center and do cool stuff like that anymore.

Jeffw-13 08-28-2007 05:42 PM

Quote:

In my beer league it goes to my d man which is what I was trying to do anyways, lol