HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Hello from a begginer (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=411940)

Jake1999 08-20-2007 10:58 PM

Hello from a begginer

Hi guys, Iv been spending most of my life training for tennis at different acadamies Iv decided not to go the tennis route and Im trying hockey. had my first time on the ice today and I was able to power skate and turn fairly gracefully, The biggest problem im having is that i dont know how to stop. I love being out on the rink and i think im going to love hockey. Any tips for a begginer to work on will be great as im going to be on the ice a lot just learning until classes/try outs start for local leauges. One of the nice things about tennis is the grace and being low on your knees felt similier. So on ice off ice drills and tips would be wonderfull. Thank you.

vexXed 08-20-2007 11:52 PM

Welcome to the game! Best advice I can give you is to work hard on you skating. It seperates the good players from the not so good players. Just skating can get boring so you should probably go to training sessions and play low level games to keep you motivated. Come out of your comfort zone and work on the things you know you need to work on. When you start to play you will pick up a lot of things you didn't even realise were important before.

Off ice you could do a bit of working out but that's a whole other topic. Stickhandling every day for some time with a golf ball apparently helps. Practice shooting in your yard or somewhere else if you don't have one, pick corners, aim and try to hit the spot you want.

Stopping took me a while to learn but I practiced hard at it and now it's fine. I fell over loads doing it but I was pretty determined to get it sorted. Just start off slow and focus on technique. Just before you are about to stop, put the pressure on to the balls of your feet, then turn both skates 90 degrees with your outer skate taking most of the weight. The inner foot is only there as support. Once you get the angle and develop confidence in your edges then you will be fine.

KINGS FAN77 08-21-2007 01:57 AM

Try this site www.hockeyshot.com Hope this helps you, good luck and welcome to the game. Its alot of fun.

Backstrom #19 08-21-2007 05:37 AM

Skating, Skating, Skating, even when you get good at it and think you need to move on to shooting or stickhandling keep skating, it's the most important thing.

Jake1999 08-21-2007 06:04 AM

Thanks guys, Im really going to be focusing on skating as much as possible going in for two hours today, the videos really helped. Im going to try and work on stopping today hopefully i can get a little bit more Comfertable with it.
Thanks again for the answers so far, skating will deffinitely be a priority.

Henrique Iglesias 08-21-2007 09:25 AM

dont worry about stopping, itll come to you... like me i was just at a public skate and i just somehow learned how to stop lol

Jarick 08-21-2007 10:00 AM

First thing would be skating and balance. Stopping, backwards skating, transitioning both ways, then crossovers. Once you get all those to a point you are comfortable, work on moving as seamlessly as possible from one to another. What helped me learn stopping was thinking about rotating 90 degrees then kind of sitting down while pushing out with the outside leg. It's hard to visualize but if you can watch a video of someone stopping and break it down into easy to remember steps it's much quicker to learn.

Then work on shooting, wrist shot and backhand are the big ones. Focus on technique and flexing the stick. You should generate most of your power from your legs and the stick flexing. Also work on rolling the puck from the heel to toe of the blade when bringing it across your body to generate spin and keep the puck flat and fast. When you can do a wrist shot comfortably, try reducing your wind up and firing the puck as quick as possible but still getting that flex. That's a snap shot and in my opinion the most effective shot. Slap shots are pretty but limited in use.

And then work on positioning and putting everything together. Learn all the positions, what to do with and without the puck, passing, basic plays, all that. There are good books out there and of course just watching hockey helps.

slade 08-21-2007 10:03 AM

Noob!

lost puck 08-21-2007 03:09 PM

What helped me the most with stopping was learning to snow plow. turn your toes inwards to make a vee with both skates. Once you are confortable doing that then all you have to do is rotate the foot you want to stop with just a bit more and pickup the inside foot and set it back on the ice parrell to the outside foot and there you are.

One other thing that helped was when I was told to try and think of a hockey stop as a hockey slide. You don't want to try and dig the edge in hard at first, you'll just lose your balance. Instead skate towards a line in the ice and about 5 feet before you reach it start your stop. Try and stay on the hollow and slide to the spot. You'll never make it there but it helps keep your mind on your skate positioning rather than stopping at a given point.