HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Lundqvist's interview (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=412572)

DimaNYR 08-23-2007 08:30 AM

Lundqvist's interview

http://www.allhockey.ru/nhl/articles/8844/

it is in Russian.

I translated it and now my head hurts...

For a European goalkeeper, Henrik Lunqvist’s career in NHL has gone surprisingly smooth. After he came to NA at the age of 23, he started playing right away for the NYR, playing in 53 games in 05-06. Last season, it was almost impossible to imagine NYR without Lundqvist in goal.

 Henrik, it seems that you have established yourself in the NHL.

 I’d like to think so, but in America, you cannot be sure in anything. The competition is very high, and there are a lot of great goalies. But I’ve been lucky so far.

 Is it only luck?

 Of course not. I have to work a lot. And I do, otherwise I’d have to kiss goodbye the position of a #1 goalie on the team. In addition, I didn’t come from a junior team, I came from Florunda, and that speaks for itself. There are many quality goalies in Sweden.

 You avoided/skipped playing on a farm club, and started playing in the NHL right away.

 That is what I expected to do. The thing is, I could come to NA in 2001, when I was drafted, and later. But then I would surely have to play for a farm club or in a junior league, and I did not want that. Swedish elite league is strong, and there are more opportunities for progress there. That is why I risked going to NA only when there was a chance presented to me to play in the NHL.

 Were you always this prudent?

 Is that bad? (Laughing)

 Did it not confuse you that at that moment the Rangers could not make the playoffs for years?

 No, first of all, in NHL everything changes quickly. Yesterday’s outsiders can shoot up, and leaders go down. Tell me, who could have expected Carolina to win the Cup? Second of all, a team with such masters as Jagr, Nylander, and others, could not continue to be second-rate. Now everything is working out, during the first year of me playing in NY we got into the playoffs, then last year we got into the second round, and this year we are going to move further. But the thing is that in NHL nobody likes gradual improvement – they want everything right away. But that’s ok, we became even stronger.

 Are you upset that the Rangers lost Nylander?

 Being upset won’t get you anywhere. This is the specifics of NHL – if you want to get somebody, you have to say no to another star player. Michael is a great player, but this is hockey. Trades and transfers will always be there. Maybe in time I’ll have to change clubs. However everything in New York satisfies me.
 How do you compare NA training with Swedish?

 Hockey is hockey. There are some nuances of course but generally I was ready for everything. The most obvious thing is the approach of the coaches to training players. In NHL they will not train you individually during the season. If you are called a professional and play in the NHL, you have to be able to do everything. You have to be able to perform and if you’re not ready, you won’t play.

 Isn’t it too tough?

 I’m afraid it could not be any different in NHL. The rhythm of games is crazy, there is no time to relax. Sometimes there is no time to recuperate, and you have to be able to do it quickly – this is the player’s responsibility. And the rigors of playing in NHL is well compensated by the incredible output of emotions.

 In NHL they call you the “Animal” (???). Does it upset you?

 In America it is pointless to be upset about something like this. I don’t understand actually why they call me that.

 Playing in NHL, is it an advantage, when being considered for national team?

 I don’t think so. Depends how you want to construct the team. If the same way as last time, then it’s a minus. I don’t think it’s necessary using one or two NHLers if the rest of the team players are playing in Sweden. Swedish team can win against any other team without the help of its NHLers, we have the best championship league in Europe.

 What can you say about Russian super league?

 Nothing in particular. I heard that the league is rich. I know that back in the day the majority of national team was comprised from the Red Army hockey club. But I think we are better then the Russian team right now. (Referring to Swedish national team)

 Your colleague Daniel Henriksson is playing in “Siberia”, in the Russian super league…

 In the Siberia? Wow! What is the name of the team? (Henrik is thinking that the interviewer was referring to the geographical location when he said “Siberia”)

 Siberia is the name of the hockey club. Although it is actually located in the region with the same name…

 Don’t know how he found the courage to do that. But it’s his choice. I think Daniel could play in NHL

 What interests you beside hockey?

 Training (smiling). In my free time I watch movies. I also like retro automobiles. I hope with time I will start collecting them.

stc1709* 08-23-2007 08:35 AM

interesting

DimaNYR 08-23-2007 08:36 AM

Has anyone ever heard Lundy being called "Animal"?

ZenBaja 08-23-2007 08:39 AM

I gotta think they are referring to "King" and animal is a mistranslation?

-Z

DimaNYR 08-23-2007 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenBaja (Post 10245855)
I gotta think they are referring to "King" and animal is a mistranslation?

-Z

If it is a mistranslation then not on my part, because it did say 'zver'' which means animal in russian...

Another interesting tidbit - I don't think Henrik would ever mention playing for another club in an interview with a NA paper/media outlet...

Speedtrials 08-23-2007 08:55 AM

This whole interview seemed to be a bit odd.

HockeyBasedNYC 08-23-2007 08:57 AM

Is this even Henrik speaking? It does seem weird.

If it was i just think he was trying to get the point across that theNHL is a business, but watch out Slats i think you've got a guy here who knows how things work and is not afraid to ask for what he deserves.
Come January the Rangers have to give him what he needs longterm so he can stay here for a long time.

As far as the Animal thing goes ive never heard anyone call that unless they are saying that people call him a "beast" or "animal" in the net (which he is;))

Even if people call him animal its a compliment. I think its just a language thing here.

Oh and thanks for the translation CTEKJIO

DimaNYR 08-23-2007 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedtrials (Post 10245905)

It did. But I was surprised when I stumbled upon this interview on a Russian internet site...

abev 08-23-2007 09:06 AM

Thanks CT,

Are you really in Moscow? Must be tricky to follow the Rangers from Russia.

Finest 08-23-2007 09:14 AM

Something about this interview makes me un-easy, I dont know what it is exactly lol. But thank you for the translation :)

DimaNYR 08-23-2007 09:21 AM

LOL yes I am in Moscow, been here the past year, moving back to NY at the end of winter :) can't wait! It is virtually impossible to get any TV coverage here, there is only ONE sports channel. OK there are two, and all they show is crap. Sorry but I am getting more and more tired of being here and not being able to watch any of the games :(

DimaNYR 08-23-2007 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abev (Post 10245948)
Thanks CT,

Are you really in Moscow? Must be tricky to follow the Rangers from Russia.

I have this forum to read and it's a paradise :)

Speedtrials 08-23-2007 09:28 AM

I forgot to thank you for the translation CT. Anything about the Rangers help in these dog days of summer.

broadwayblue 08-23-2007 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTEKJIO (Post 10245863)
Another interesting tidbit - I don't think Henrik would ever mention playing for another club in an interview with a NA paper/media outlet...

I don't think it's a big deal. He said:

"Maybe in time Iíll have to change clubs. However everything in New York satisfies me."

He didn't say he wanted to change...just that the landscape is such that sometimes it's the way things go down. It's silly to think that he's absolutely going to be a Ranger forever. Obviously we'd all like that, but it might not be the case. But I think we can all agree that he loves NYC and being a Ranger.

Cynical TyranT 08-23-2007 09:33 AM

did someone say... MOSKAU!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQAKRw6mToA

DimaNYR 08-23-2007 09:40 AM

^^^Lol

Cynical TyranT 08-23-2007 09:42 AM

btw, thx for the translation... thats a cool thing to be able to do, hahah.

Speedtrials 08-23-2007 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT (Post 10246080)
did someone say... MOSKAU!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQAKRw6mToA

:biglaugh: my friend has that as his myspace video.

DimaNYR 08-23-2007 09:48 AM

I tried using Babelfish or whatever that site is called... but it was all mumbo jumbo...

I don't know if being able to translate is that great... It's like, being bilingual for me means not knowing English 100% and forgetting Russian at the same time :)

Cynical TyranT 08-23-2007 09:56 AM

come the south.. where most americans dont seem to speak engish either...

DimaNYR 08-23-2007 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT (Post 10246186)
come the south.. where most americans dont seem to speak engish either...

loL thanx for the invitation :) but being away from the Rangers Land has taught me a valuable lesson - stay in New York!

Chimp 08-23-2007 10:16 AM

Thanks for the translation. Really surprising to see this kind of interview from a Russian hockey site, european sites are normally quite... national when it comes to these selections. You would expect they had interviewed Tyutin or something, but sure, if it's a Russian Rangers fan, the choice is natural. Henke is a key player and all.

The live internet streams from Rangers' games last season really, really helped us Europeans to be hockey fans. I especially watched alot of the playoff games. You should check it out CTEKJIO if you haven't seen it already.

otterulz 08-23-2007 11:35 AM

Thanks for the translation.

It read like an interview with a Harvard professor. "And the rigors of playing in NHL is well compensated by the incredible output of emotions."

That made me crack up. I know it's a direct translation and I'm sure if Hank were saying it in English he wouldn't have worded it like that but I thought that was great.

KreiMeARiver* 08-23-2007 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedtrials (Post 10245905)

I totally agree

KRM 08-23-2007 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTEKJIO (Post 10245846)
Has anyone ever heard Lundy being called "Animal"?

I think it was translated into russian from "the beast" which has been listed as one of his nicknames on Wikipedia. I have never heard it before, Henrik is the King!