HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   "The Hockey News" Rangers Preview (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=412657)

gers* 08-23-2007 02:10 PM

"The Hockey News" Rangers Preview

Just recieved my hockey news 2007-08 yearbook.
Here is a brief summary of the Rangers:

Projected finish: 2nd in East
Team Grade: B+

Depth Chart:
LW C RW D1 D2
Straka Gomez Jags Rozsival Tyutin
Avery Drury Shanny Mara Malik
Prucha Betts Holly Girardi Staal
Hossa Immonen Callahan Hutch Pock
Korpedo Dubinsky Orr
Dawes Barnes Kventon

Prospects:
Name Projected NHL Arrival
Staal 07-08
Cherepanov 09-10
Sanguinetti 08-09
Montoya 07-08
Callahan 07-08
Anisimov 10-11
Korpedo 07-08
Dubi 08-09
Dawes 08-09
Pyatt 09-10

Overall Prospect Grade: B-

Overall Team
Strengths: Offense and Goaltending, what a shock
Weaknesses: Defense and lack of toughness

Thoughts?

WhipNash27 08-23-2007 02:12 PM

What a terrible depth chart.

gers* 08-23-2007 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRChazzer (Post 10248725)
What a terrible depth chart.

my thoughts exactly

Beacon 08-23-2007 02:14 PM

B freakin' minus for prospects?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Staal0708 (Post 10248707)
Just recieved my hockey news 2007-08 yearbook.
Here is a brief summary of the Rangers:

Projected finish: 2nd in East
Team Grade: B+

Depth Chart:
LW C RW D1 D2
Straka Gomez Jags Rozsival Tyutin
Avery Drury Shanny Mara Malik
Prucha Betts Holly Girardi Staal
Hossa Immonen Callahan Hutch Pock
Korpedo Dubinsky Orr
Dawes Barnes Kventon

Prospects:
Name Projected NHL Arrival
Staal 07-08
Cherepanov 09-10
Sanguinetti 08-09
Montoya 07-08
Callahan 07-08
Anisimov 10-11
Korpedo 07-08
Dubi 08-09
Dawes 08-09
Pyatt 09-10

Overall Prospect Grade: B-

Thoughts?

hawks35 08-23-2007 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 (Post 10248742)
B freakin' minus for prospects?!

What grade did you want for our prospects? We have very good D prospects and a TON of good 3rd and 4th line forward prospects. With the excpeption of Cherapanov and Bourett, which we just got within the past year, we have no top line F prospects at all.

B- may have been a lil too low, but if youre grading based on depth than it should be higher, but if youre grading based on top flight talent, its about right.

broadwayblue 08-23-2007 02:28 PM

Is there anyone who wouldn't sign up for 2nd in the East right now?

nyr2k2 08-23-2007 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCherryPickers (Post 10248822)
What grade did you want for our prospects? We have very good D prospects and a TON of good 3rd and 4th line forward prospects. With the excpeption of Cherapanov and Bourett, which we just got within the past year, we have no top line F prospects at all.

B- may have been a lil too low, but if youre grading based on depth than it should be higher, but if youre grading based on top flight talent, its about right.

One could argue that both Anisimov and Korpikoski have top-line talent. I'm not making that argument, but it could be reasonably made. Both could wind up as second line regulars, which I'll take. Dawes could in my estimation play on a second line right now.

I think I'd give us a B+ for prospects. We might be lacking lots of top-end talent, but really, who has a lot of that? We have a ton of guys that will be regular NHL contributors, more than maybe any other system in the league.

Forechecker 08-23-2007 02:31 PM

You forgot to mention that THN has them losing in the ECF to the Sens.

True Blue 08-23-2007 02:38 PM

Quote:

I disagree. The defensive prospects are anything but a weakness. With Tyutin and Girardi already here, and the likes of Staal, Baranak, Sauer & Sanguinetti waiting in the wings, I do not see how there it is a weakness.

Also, offense, as far as forwards go, would be a weakness. Until Cherepanov got picked, the best forward prospect was Bourett and he arrived via trade. Lots of 2nd/3rd line tweeners.

BigE 08-23-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue (Post 10248918)
I disagree. The defensive prospects are anything but a weakness. With Tyutin and Girardi already here, and the likes of Staal, Baranak, Sauer & Sanguinetti waiting in the wings, I do not see how there it is a weakness.

Also, offense, as far as forwards go, would be a weakness. Until Cherepanov got picked, the best forward prospect was Bourett and he arrived via trade. Lots of 2nd/3rd line tweeners.

My thoughts exactly TB.

JR#9* 08-23-2007 02:48 PM

Quote:

I think they are commenting on the current teams makeup, not the prospect pool

gers* 08-23-2007 02:49 PM

Quote:

those are the team strengths and weaknesses, edited the post

broadwayblue 08-23-2007 03:12 PM

Quote:

Thoughts?

The lack of toughness does bother me. True, we have Orr, Hollweg and Avery...but other than them we're a pretty soft team. Yeah, someone will mention that we have Callahan, or that Shanny will drop the gloves to protect a teammate. But overall we're on the small and soft side.

nyr339 08-23-2007 03:21 PM

I think it is ok toughnesswise. We have enough. I think we hav a tema that can play with anyone, even bang with an anaheim over 7 games. Well not bang with em but withstand their assaults and win.

broadwayblue 08-23-2007 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr339 (Post 10249262)
I think it is ok toughnesswise. We have enough. I think we hav a tema that can play with anyone, even bang with an anaheim over 7 games. Well not bang with em but withstand their assaults and win.

I'm not sure if we can get past Ottawa first.

True Blue 08-23-2007 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 10249187)
The lack of toughness does bother me. True, we have Orr, Hollweg and Avery...but other than them we're a pretty soft team.

I think that is not at all true. Lack of toughness as far as having several so-called enforcers? Sure. However, This year's version is anything but soft. At least as far as the forwards go. Having Orr, Hollweg, Callahan & Avery in the line-up, the team is not going to get pushed arund. Granted it is not like Callahan or Hollweg will be taking on the big boys, but they can handle themselves. And Avery and Orr are not in the "not tough" group. The addittions, Drury and Gomez, are certainly gritty players. Shanny, Prucha, Betts do not lack for grit either. And it is not like Straka is easily intimidated.

Overall, the forwards group is a gritty one. The defense can be soft. But that really covers the area of crease-clearing. I would not characterize Tyutin, Girardi or Roszsival as "soft". Is Rozsival tough as far as jaw-dropping hits? No. But the guy gained my respect with his performance in the playoffs on basically one leg. That's being tough. Mara was not contact-averse either.

I think that sometimes the definitions of tough and gritty are confused. From the point of Avery's arrival, the Rangers were often the initiators. And that spread from Avery to the rest of the team. For the last two months, this team was not pushed around. Adding the likes of Drury and Gomez only increases the grittiness of this team. I doubt that we will see the Rangers intimidated on most nights.

Fletch 08-23-2007 03:37 PM

I will say this...

I stopped my subscription to THN about 6 years ago because I found their analyses lacking.

I don't disagree about defense possibly being the sore point on this team, but I do disagree as to the reason why everyone thinks so. It's not because they watch the Rangers or are smart, it's because there aren't any recognizable names in the list. A pedestrian group typically doesn't get it done. But let's not forget that one shouldn't be looking at the defense in and of itself, rather one needs to look at the team's defense, which includes goaltending and forwards. This team was #9 in goals against (which is misleading because I think the East has better scorers and thus goals against would be higher (like comparing NL ERA to AL ERA)). So that's pretty darn good. And to me, I don't care how you got there - puck possession, Henke standing on his head, etc. - goals against should be a measure of team defense, and these analysts prefer to look at the names and when they're not recognizable, they point it out as a sore spot.

Lack of toughness - not sure what that really means. Is it fighting? Is it grinding? Is it hitting? I think the Rangers will not pound any team into submission, but they'll be able to hold their own. Jagr can be hit by just about anyone and take it without losing the puck. Drury, Gomez, Shanny, Avery, and even Straka, Hossa, Cally, and others will go into the corners and battle. Rozsival will take a puck off his ankle, and limp to take a puck off his hip. Malik will use his stick to make sure you don't get close. So I'm not sure I'd perceive toughness as an area of weakness, and in the grand scheme of today's NHL, I think the Rangers' make-up this season is pretty good all-around.

Oh, and I guess Sauer and Baranka don't exist in their minds. I actually also think that Potter may turn some heads this season. Liked how he improved last season. I'd also almost include Girardi as a prospect - at what level of games played does one cease to be a prospect?

Levitate 08-23-2007 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 10249381)
Oh, and I guess Sauer and Baranka don't exist in their minds. I actually also think that Potter may turn some heads this season. Liked how he improved last season. I'd also almost include Girardi as a prospect - at what level of games played does one cease to be a prospect?

Apparently Bourret isn't a Rangers prospect either. Some of their projected arrivals are a little odd too.

BlairBettsBlocks 08-23-2007 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitate (Post 10249530)
Apparently Bourret isn't a Rangers prospect either. Some of their projected arrivals are a little odd too.

yea is it gonna take anisimov till 10-11 to get here?

eco's bones 08-23-2007 05:04 PM

THN is not nearly as good as it was 10 or so years ago. I stopped subscribing myself about 5 years ago and don't really miss it. I used to make sure to get their draft issue but that's not a concern anymore as that has gone downhill as well. The Rangers are not all that tough in the area of dishing out physical punishment--the other equation is being able to take it without backing down. The current group seems fine in that regard.

Inferno 08-23-2007 06:50 PM

after the allstar game (or was it new years?) the rangers were 2nd in the nhl behind the wild in goals against.

defense isnt an issue.

Son of Steinbrenner 08-23-2007 07:21 PM

I take what THN says with a grain of salt but I do think the defense can use an improvement. I know they finished the season great but this isn't a case of not having "name" defenseman...Don't get me wrong I'm comfortable that the Rangers can start the season and contend with the defense they have right now. Mara, Rozsival, Tyutin, and Girardi are all really good defenseman. Malik is hot and cold and after that is where we start seeing the question marks..Is Pock anything? Can Hutchinson play defense? Is Staal ready? Strudwick? who might actually get minutes which is scary to me..

The guy i can see stealing a spot in training camp is Baranka. If he can stay healthy he might be as steady as Girardi was last season...

I think unless Staal comes in an just exceeds expectations the Rangers add a #1 guy at the deadline..I almost think they have too..Add a minutes eating defenseman to that group above and you go from contender to favorite overnight...

ATLANTARANGER* 08-23-2007 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 10249381)
I stopped my subscription to THN about 6 years ago because I found their analyses lacking.

I don't disagree about defense possibly being the sore point on this team, but I do disagree as to the reason why everyone thinks so. It's not because they watch the Rangers or are smart, it's because there aren't any recognizable names in the list. A pedestrian group typically doesn't get it done. But let's not forget that one shouldn't be looking at the defense in and of itself, rather one needs to look at the team's defense, which includes goaltending and forwards. This team was #9 in goals against (which is misleading because I think the East has better scorers and thus goals against would be higher (like comparing NL ERA to AL ERA)). So that's pretty darn good. And to me, I don't care how you got there - puck possession, Henke standing on his head, etc. - goals against should be a measure of team defense, and these analysts prefer to look at the names and when they're not recognizable, they point it out as a sore spot.

Lack of toughness - not sure what that really means. Is it fighting? Is it grinding? Is it hitting? I think the Rangers will not pound any team into submission, but they'll be able to hold their own. Jagr can be hit by just about anyone and take it without losing the puck. Drury, Gomez, Shanny, Avery, and even Straka, Hossa, Cally, and others will go into the corners and battle. Rozsival will take a puck off his ankle, and limp to take a puck off his hip. Malik will use his stick to make sure you don't get close. So I'm not sure I'd perceive toughness as an area of weakness, and in the grand scheme of today's NHL, I think the Rangers' make-up this season is pretty good all-around.

I stopped mine longer than that. At one time it was an excellent read. Unfortunately many of the excellent writers went by the board. There analysis of our squad is lame, inaccurate and typical.

Beacon 08-23-2007 08:18 PM

Ok, if the Forwards were the only one graded, it would be B-, that's fine.

But don't we include blue-chippers like Montoya and Staal, as well as solid prospects like Pasta, Sauer, etc here?

Monty, Staal, Bourret and Cherry all have top line/pairing/starter potential. Plus lots of depth. Should be B+ to A-.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCherryPickers (Post 10248822)

HAPPY HOUR 08-23-2007 08:47 PM

Do agree with Brooks asertion that The Rangers need a banger on D. A Brendan Witt ,Colin White type of player. I think Mike Commodore would be a nice fit. Won't happen though. Duvie Wescott is another.