HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Sullivan out 3 months (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=412980)

trotzian brow 08-24-2007 02:33 PM

Sullivan out 3 months

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....RTS02/70824042

RaiderDoug 08-24-2007 02:48 PM

Wow. This hurts.

Hopefully, Poile can work a little magic.

Is there anyone out there that's even worth signing?

barrytrotzsneck 08-24-2007 02:51 PM

Jesus.

Well, this isn't something that can be corrected from within. A trade is necessary or our season is going to be rough, especially with as tough as it is early on in our schedule.

fogducker 08-24-2007 02:51 PM

hmm trade a defenceman for an offenceman?

barrytrotzsneck 08-24-2007 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fogducker (Post 10256883)
hmm trade a defenceman for an offenceman?

One would think\hope.

handtrick 08-24-2007 03:14 PM

I knew bad news was coming, I was trying to hint at it in my recent posts.
Don't know the specifics of the 2nd surgery, though.....very bad, bad news.

As a surgeon, if you ever have to go back into a previous surgery site, this close after the initial surgery, things are DEFINITELY not good.

We should mentally start planning for the "post-Sully era" right now.....if he ever plays another game as a Predator, I will be pleasantly surprised.

Marc the Habs Fan 08-24-2007 04:01 PM

If no trade is made, what are the odds a player like Setzinger or Peverley sees top 6 time to start the year?

Got both in a keeper league, hoping they get a legit shot in camp.

Jarnberg 08-24-2007 04:07 PM

No trade will be made. This team will not take on more salary, especially with the sale dragging on.

This just means Fiddler moves up.

Fiddler - Arnott - Dumont
Erat - Legwand - Radulov
Gelinas - Bonk - Ortmeyer
Tootoo - Nichol - Smithson

or we could see:

Radulov - Arnott - Dumont
Gelinas - Legwand - Erat
Fiddler - Bonk - Ortmeyer
Tootoo/Hordichuk - Nichol - Smithson (the should all be scratched line)

handtrick 08-24-2007 04:11 PM

Check out Poile's audio comments:

http://predators.nhl.com/team/app/?s...ticleid=336287

Poile said that it was a "refragmentation of the same disc" and doctor's expect the problem has again been treated fully by removing the new fragment, and he has good chance of full recovery.

I think this is what needs to be said right now, but as I said before, I would be "pleasantly surprised" if he plays again, whereas Poile seemed much more positive than that.

barrytrotzsneck 08-24-2007 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 10257495)
No trade will be made. This team will not take on more salary, especially with the sale dragging on.

Erat - Legwand - Radulov

or we could see:

Gelinas - Legwand - Erat

You honestly think new ownership would allow a team as mediocre as the Predators will be without Sullivan to destroy every bit of ticket headway they made, this offseason? Missing the playoffs would be disastrous. They know it even better than we do.

RaiderDoug 08-24-2007 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 10257495)

Erat - Legwand - Radulov

or we could see:

Gelinas - Legwand - Erat

Woah, who knew Barry Trotz posted on here.

I bet your figuring out a way to toss a stick under Erat's skate so you can find a place for Smithson.

RaiderDoug 08-24-2007 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handtrick (Post 10257525)
Check out Poile's audio comments:

http://predators.nhl.com/team/app/?s...ticleid=336287

Poile said that it was a "refragmentation of the same disc" and doctor's expect the problem has again been treated fully by removing the new fragment, and he has good chance of full recovery.

I think this is what needs to be said right now, but as I said before, I would be "pleasantly surprised" if he plays again, whereas Poile seemed much more positive than that.

I find this amazing that this could be considered a career ender.

I mean, they can rebuild Kevin Steven's face, they can figure out a way to keep a puddinghead like Lindros on the ice, and they can re-attach Havlat's ankle, but they can't fix a bad disc?

Jarnberg 08-24-2007 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaiderDoug (Post 10257569)
Woah, who knew Barry Trotz posted on here.

I bet your figuring out a way to toss a stick under Erat's skate so you can find a place for Smithson.

You act like I enjoyed that. I'm not posting what I want, but what I figure the team would look like...

Jarnberg 08-24-2007 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids (Post 10257556)
You honestly think new ownership would allow a team as mediocre as the Predators will be without Sullivan to destroy every bit of ticket headway they made, this offseason? Missing the playoffs would be disastrous. They know it even better than we do.

First of all, they don't own the team yet. Who knows when the sale will be complete, assuming the deal goes through. Leipold will likely keep the same idea of minimum payroll. Second, even if the local group gets the team, they've talked about spending near the minimum and they want to keep losses down.

barrytrotzsneck 08-24-2007 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 10257626)
First of all, they don't own the team yet. Who knows when the sale will be complete, assuming the deal goes through. Leipold will likely keep the same idea of minimum payroll. Second, even if the local group gets the team, they've talked about spending near the minimum and they want to keep losses down.

They've said that as encouragement to get fans to buy tickets. They've said "we spend what you allow us to spend." Coming in and saying, "Buy tickets, or continue to watch this team get beaten on by Chicago" is giving up before they even got going. And every indication is that they still plan to own the team after the next BOG meeting, which is about 3 weeks away and a month before the season starts.

Seriously, you've always been a good, level-headed poster, but since about May you've become unrealistically negative about everything..and this is coming from a negative poster myself. Skimping on another 2 or 3 million dollars(less, considering we could trade a roster player) by not trading to replace Sullivan might seem like something a fiscally uneasy ownership would do, but considering the collateral damage caused to ticket sales by actually ICING that team...it'd be an unwise move from investment standpoints.

handtrick 08-24-2007 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaiderDoug (Post 10257590)
I find this amazing that this could be considered a career ender.

I mean, they can rebuild Kevin Steven's face, they can figure out a way to keep a puddinghead like Lindros on the ice, and they can re-attach Havlat's ankle, but they can't fix a bad disc?

A quick summary of Poile's comments:

They talked about it being a "refragmentation of the same disc" which has "about a 5% chance of happening.
They said that Sully was rehabbing ok, then last week noted that he couldn't fully extend on his slapshot, which is part of the original problem and why he went for the first surgery. An new MRI was obtained and the same disc was said to be "refragmented" so another surgery was performed to remove the extruded fragement. No fusion was performed, he didn't stay overnight, and he is walking the next day [today] in his hotel in LA, and is planning to come back to Nashville sometime soon.....no activity for 3 weeks, then starting rehab with the anticipated return in 3 months. Just said it was an "unlucky, bad break for Sully" and NOT felt to be career threatening or ending.

If you ask, "what am I thinking".......

That is a much more difficult question to answer in this forum.
Let's just say that there may be more that meets the eye here.

I think you can take Poile at his word for what they believe right now, is, in fact, believe....the rehab starts over as outlined and he will have to hit certain milestones to get back into full contact, game situations.

The lingering thoughts in my mind revolve around these items:
-Since no MRI is obtained post surgery....did they get all the extruded disc the first time, or was this truly are "reherniation of this same disc."
-The scar tissue from a second surgery at the same site within 2 months can lead to problems itself that are less likely to occur after just one surgery.
-The disc is not NORMAL, by any means right now, and never will be......with a highly contact physical sport like hockey....can than diseased disc segment handle all the stresses and strains required of it for an elite hockey player.....diseased discs can continue to be problematic after discectomy and require "fusion at that level."

Those are just some of the things I am thinking.

I stand by what I said earlier....."I will be pleasantly surprised to see Sully playing again as a Pred" and I will add, that I would be even more surprised if he ever was again the Point-a-game player that we have come to know, when we think of Steve Sullivan.

Jarnberg 08-24-2007 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids (Post 10257683)
They've said that as encouragement to get fans to buy tickets. They've said "we spend what you allow us to spend." Coming in and saying, "Buy tickets, or continue to watch this team get beaten on by Chicago" is giving up before they even got going.

Its essentially what they are saying. The more fans we have, the more they will spend. According to them, 16,000 would have us spend a little more then the midpoint. We almost have 9,000 season ticket holders.

Quote:

And every indication is that they still plan to own the team after the next BOG meeting, which is about 3 weeks away and a month before the season starts.
Hopefully the threat of the sale falling apart if the lease changes aren't agreed upon doesn't hold much water.

Quote:

Skimping on another 2 or 3 million dollars(less, considering we could trade a roster player) by not trading to replace Sullivan might seem like something a fiscally uneasy ownership would do, but considering the collateral damage caused to ticket sales by actually ICING that team...it'd be an unwise move from investment standpoints.
In essence I agree. We need a great team to spur more ticket sales. But honestly, we had a really good team last year and couldn't get fans to the games. The Forsberg deal got a bunch of fans coming by the end of the year. Can we afford to make another Forsbergesqe trade or signing? If we don't go that route, will adding a player to replace Sullivan bring more fans in?

I understand what you are saying, but I just don't see it happening. Believe me, I really hope we get someone to fill in his void. But by looking at our current ownership situation, comments made by those involved in that situation and hearing Poile throw out the words 'opportunity for other players' when talking about Sullivan's injury, it doesn't bode well for that in my opinion.

Here's to me being very wrong.

Jarnberg 08-24-2007 07:14 PM

I guess this could be a good place to put that Forsberg was in town this week....

handtrick 08-24-2007 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 10258773)
I guess this could be a good place to put that Forsberg was in town this week....

Did you see him yourself?

Anybody have any definitive reason why he was here?

Predshockey17 08-24-2007 07:41 PM

That sucks.

PeterAngelo 08-24-2007 08:04 PM

:banghead:

Enoch 08-24-2007 08:46 PM

I really can't say I'm surprised. I will say that I assumed Sullivan would start the year, but I was giving him about a 30% chance of making it to the playoffs without ripping his groin or hurting his back. This is terrible for the team, and it is terrible for Sullivan.

We are now not FORCED to lose a player to waivers, but I would be shocked if we didn't try and sign a 2nd/3rd line forward.

teddygmr 08-24-2007 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan (Post 10257446)
If no trade is made, what are the odds a player like Setzinger or Peverley sees top 6 time to start the year?

Got both in a keeper league, hoping they get a legit shot in camp.

I predict Setzinger will be the surprise of training camp and will be a good addition!

jstreet 08-24-2007 09:25 PM

...in a move that takes the league by suprise, Trotz goes with the " 1 scoring line and 3 checking lines " approach...

State of Hockey 08-24-2007 09:50 PM

'Tis a shame with Sullivan. He's my favorite Pred. The biggest problem going into the season was a lack of depth in case of injury, but it has become a factor before the season even begins.