HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Penalty Kill (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=41365)

allrevvedup25 01-06-2004 03:11 AM

Penalty Kill
 
God, the Penalty Kill is pathetic to watch, I mean it was good at the start of the year, but they are brutal now!! They are what, ranked 28th in the league!! OUCH!!! They have to try different people on the PK. You have to take guys like Nedved, Messier, Poti, Malahkov off the PK. They should use 3 pairs of forward. Like Lacouture, Ortmeyer, Holik, Rucinsky, Carter, and say Kovalev or even Lindros. He has played well so we need to reward him with some ice. These 6-7 guys will hustle, block shots and not worry about the break-a-way sh goals and worry about killing the penalty first!! With the way this team is now taking all the penalties, Messier is getting to much time and he is looking tired. Look at the way that Lombardi out mucled Messier to the front of the net for the deflection goal last night, he is old and tired!!

The Rangers have to try something different because they are allowing too many goals on the PK as of late. They need to get better in that department or its 7 in a row without playoffs!!

SingnBluesOnBroadway 01-06-2004 03:40 AM

To still a phrase from PJ O'Rourke, pairing Leetch and Poti on the pk together is like "giving whiskey and car keys to teenage birds."

I think its safe to say that with the exception of Kasparaitis and deVries, the pairings need to be switched up. Poti and Leetch has never made sense and M&M have been terrible for a two weeks now.

True Blue 01-06-2004 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
I think its safe to say that with the exception of Kasparaitis and deVries, the pairings need to be switched up. Poti and Leetch has never made sense and M&M have been terrible for a two weeks now.

At this point, I think that it would take an act of God for Sather to break up M&M. Or even to sit someone like Malacough or Poti.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 01-06-2004 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
At this point, I think that it would take an act of God for Sather to break up M&M. Or even to sit someone like Malacough or Poti.

I know I'm preaching to the choir but he has pulled the goalie in 3 of the last 6 games, has mixed and matched lines but he can't break up M&M. The pair has not just been bad, they have been a liability.

allrevvedup25 01-06-2004 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
I know I'm preaching to the choir but he has pulled the goalie in 3 of the last 6 games, has mixed and matched lines but he can't break up M&M. The pair has not just been bad, they have been a liability.

I agree totally but if you to mix and match those 2 pairs, which one would you rather see:

Leetch-Malakhov
Poti-Mironov

or

Leetch-Mironov
Poti-Malakhov

I know the Leetch-Malakhov pairing worked a few years ago but that doesn't mean that it will work now.

True Blue 01-06-2004 07:54 AM

Anyway that you look at it, you cannot make a servicable top 6 out of what we have. At this point, I am as disgusted by Poti as I am by Malacough. Poti's aversion to contact is so obvious that all the teams around the league know it. They know that they can crash the net, because Porta Poti will just get out of their way.
This is what we have that is good:

Leetch-
de Vries-Kasper
-Mironov

Now, insert a Poti-aged, stay at home crease clearer to play with Leetch and a Boughner/Marchment-type to play with Bobo and you can have a servicable 6 defensemen. Instead, we all know who gets inserted and where.

The principles of a good PK begin with clearing the crease so that your goalie can see the shots and clearing the crease of rebounds. Ranger defensemen are often nowhere near their owen crease.

sickboy35 01-06-2004 09:07 AM

god forbid he actually does what he said he was going to do? accountabillity? that just a empty threat for sather to throw around! has absolutly no meaning what so ever!!

SingnBluesOnBroadway 01-06-2004 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sickboy35
god forbid he actually does what he said he was going to do? accountabillity? that just a empty threat for sather to throw around! has absolutly no meaning what so ever!!


True, but when it comes to the defensive corp, what would you have him do? If you sit Malakhov and Poti it means playing Purinton and Bouchard. Bouchard you can make an argument for but Purinton was terrible last week.

allrevvedup25 01-06-2004 10:02 AM

It would be nice if they brought up Tjutin, Nycolat, or Lampman. Any 2 of these 3 can be better than Malakhov, Poti or Mironov. As well, get rid of Rheaume and call up Murray. Let him play with Holik and Ortmeyer. That would be a good checking line, it could be a NYC version of the grind line.

One can only dream that this would happen.

sickboy35 01-06-2004 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
True, but when it comes to the defensive corp, what would you have him do? If you sit Malakhov and Poti it means playing Purinton and Bouchard. Bouchard you can make an argument for but Purinton was terrible last week.

well i've been on the get rid of poti wagon for a while now! he'd be the first to go! if you can get a physical dman for him, you do the trade! mcgillis buyton(spelling) there are some teams that can hide poti's inabillity to play physical, this team can't! malacough said he wants to retire after the season? i'd give him a push out the door! purinton? he was one of my favs but playin 4games and be relied upon to play well when called in to duty? didn't do to well, might be time to move on! bring up tjutin and lampeman! didn't bryce make the club but got injured? my point is bring up players that can step in and do the job! when malacough or whoever else has a bad game? bench them! that will make them at least try! they know they are not going to benched in favor of dale, so therefore no threat of it happening! at least with those two it will and hopefully stick so to make the other two useless to us! they need to do something though! we cannot allow players to just waltz in to the crease and score like roberts did, like 3 different times this year! i'm sure there were others but those i remember distictly! we are not going to do squat with poti, malacough and dale! its time to cut our losses and realine our defense! just mo anyway!

True Blue 01-06-2004 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
True, but when it comes to the defensive corp, what would you have him do?

How about giving Jakopin or Lampman a shot? Neither can do as poorly in front of their goalie as either Poti or Malacough currently do. And as for Dale and Bouch, I think that if they had the games to compare to either Poti or Lampman then their current #'s would be better than either of those clowns. No doubt Bouch would have as many points as Poti and better defensive play and at this point I truly believe that if Dale had the games that Maladog had, he would be better defensively. Certainly can't be worse.

Fletch 01-06-2004 10:34 AM

Unfortunately...
 
this team doesn't have a competent top 6. Is there a true defensive defenseman on this team that you'd feel comfortable going against top lines? Prior to Kaspar playing here, but after his signing with the Rangers, I would've said him, but today, I can't say anybody. Leetch has no business doing that. Poti definitely doesn't. M&M can if you catch them the right day, but that's too far and between. deVries is solid, but is better suited for the second pairing, not the top. That's the construction of this team barring a trade. I don't mind having Leetch and Poti paired given who the other four defensemen are. It hurts both of them having each other, but I'm not sure if there would be a difference breaking them up. The only thing I would try is Malakhov-Leetch again, with Malakhov being the 'stay-at-home' guy, a role he filled well two seasons ago, and see if he lives up to the responsibility. Let's face it, we're stuck with these guys. They're not moveable. There's likely nobody on the farm any better. We're just friggin' stuck.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 01-06-2004 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
How about giving Jakopin or Lampman a shot? Neither can do as poorly in front of their goalie as either Poti or Malacough currently do. And as for Dale and Bouch, I think that if they had the games to compare to either Poti or Lampman then their current #'s would be better than either of those clowns. No doubt Bouch would have as many points as Poti and better defensive play and at this point I truly believe that if Dale had the games that Maladog had, he would be better defensively. Certainly can't be worse.

I would be all for giving Lampman, Jakopin, Tyutin, or Nycolat a look see.

Replacing Malakhov with Purinton is like opting for a stubbed toe over a jammed thumb. And as much as I backed Purinton over the summer the guy is slower than I remember him being, has no hockey instincts (not that he had many to begin with) and he is trying to make passes like he's Ray Bourque. What's scary is the fact that I can imagine how much worse this defense would be WITHOUT BORIS MIRONOV!

I would take Bouch over Poti (although I think we would be hard pressed to get much of anything for him in a trade) but Purinton over Malakhov? I would just a soon dress 13 forwards.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.