HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Its early but this feels a little like 93-94 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=41463)

rekrul 01-06-2004 10:15 AM

Its early but this feels a little like 93-94

1/2 season done but.....

think about it in 93-94 a new GM ( actually the three headed monster as many will recall ) New coach and a lot of new faces, most thought the team would be dead last. Horrible start, 0-8-1 but then slowly a defensive system, hot goalie and general team chemistry came together. Some contributions from very young Defsense ( Ozo/Kroupa ) some castoffs like Garpenlov or former great players like I Larionov/Markarov plus a few home grown high end F prospects like Whitney. Team snuck up on you, out of nowhere they just started winning.

03-04 Basicly new coach, new GM, A cast off ( Ekman ) a few young D, and homegrown F prospects, a former great player( Damphousee).... team had horrible start but eventually came together. IT is sneaking up on people.

Course we know how the 94 team went on to do and what happened, the lockout came ( OMG another similarity!) the GM 'experiment' was terminated, the 95-96 team crashed. We found out that the lockerroom wasen't so rosy ( guys like Elik were horrible for the young guys ) and Falloon never developed.

Now they have a much better coach, maybe a much better GM, Marleau may be busting out. I think the Org will never have the situation of a bad place for development like '96 I really think D Wilson understands this pretty well. We may finally get a hard working team that suceeds and rebuilds at the same time.

Los Tiburones 01-06-2004 11:28 AM

One nice difference is that the 93-94 team relied on a whole lot of older players. At least this team should theretically be trending upwards rather than downwards.

Also, I tend to break teams down into 3 parts. Goalies, Forwards, and Defensemen. If anyone looks at the defense and goalies, no one would be surprised that this would be a good team. Nabakov won the Calder. Stuart, Hannan, Rathje, McClaren are all top flight top 4 defensemen. Most teams would consider themselves lucky to have that group. Thus, the only surprise is that the forwards have been able to do a good job at scoring enough goals to get the job done, although they are only trending towards the league average.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rekrul
1/2 season done but.....

think about it in 93-94 a new GM ( actually the three headed monster as many will recall ) New coach and a lot of new faces, most thought the team would be dead last. Horrible start, 0-8-1 but then slowly a defensive system, hot goalie and general team chemistry came together. Some contributions from very young Defsense ( Ozo/Kroupa ) some castoffs like Garpenlov or former great players like I Larionov/Markarov plus a few home grown high end F prospects like Whitney. Team snuck up on you, out of nowhere they just started winning.

03-04 Basicly new coach, new GM, A cast off ( Ekman ) a few young D, and homegrown F prospects, a former great player( Damphousee).... team had horrible start but eventually came together. IT is sneaking up on people.

Course we know how the 94 team went on to do and what happened, the lockout came ( OMG another similarity!) the GM 'experiment' was terminated, the 95-96 team crashed. We found out that the lockerroom wasen't so rosy ( guys like Elik were horrible for the young guys ) and Falloon never developed.

Now they have a much better coach, maybe a much better GM, Marleau may be busting out. I think the Org will never have the situation of a bad place for development like '96 I really think D Wilson understands this pretty well. We may finally get a hard working team that suceeds and rebuilds at the same time.

Kevin Wey 01-06-2004 05:14 PM

San Jose's winning mainly comes down to Marleau scoring goals as talent dictates he should, Sturm holding to form, and increased goal contribution from McCauley and Cheechoo, and the addition of Ekman. Young players stepping up and performing, as they were told they'd need to do. (And for this Dean Lombardi was fired...I imagine some others here were equally as happy when Doug Wilson was named replacement. Had it been anyone else...)

I guess I always held out hope for San Jose's forwards as a group, and they seem to be rewarding me. I never understood why THN put San Jose 14th in the West, other than the fact I generally find the people in charge of their predictions as lacking knowledge on the Western Conference. Thankfully, LA is injured and Dallas can't pull it together. (Something can be said for chemistry: note how San Jose has so many home-grown players, especially the young nucleus driving the team.)

That said, I can't play as San Jose in NHL 2004 because I find the ratings so far off from how I'd rate the players. I don't know who they have rating the players, but I really find myself disagreeing a lot. And I notice misratings in the European elite leagues too, but the novelty of playing as them hasn't worn off. So I play as Espoo, Malmo and Krefeld respectively. (Don't get me started on the made up players on most of the national teams...) Maybe some day all the European Elite Leagues will be in the game and all the players can be included. (Well, Japan would be a problem still...)

mage23 01-06-2004 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Wey
(Something can be said for chemistry: note how San Jose has so many home-grown players, especially the young nucleus driving the team.)

Funny you should mention that.

I was watching a English Premier League match today, and the commentator was mentioning that the transfer window is now open (there are now only a couple times a year that teams can make deals).... but he said that some teams were reluctant to do so because they felt that players acquired mid-season typically don't bring the same amount of passion to the game as guys who have been there from the start.

That surprised me, because while a guy wouldn't have as much pride in the team, it would seem that getting a new start with a new team would be a boost too (especially if you were coming from an especially bad team).