HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   An old gossip about Flower Lafleur (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=41713)

HABitude 01-07-2004 07:28 AM

An old gossip about Flower Lafleur

Lafleur was a big smoker. One pack a day. It helped him to relax the stress.

My close friend who's father was working at LaPresse (big job) in the '70s told me Lafleur was smoking cigarettes on the bench during games. He was faking he was attaching the laces of his skates and was smoking 2-3 puffs of a cigarette. To relax the tension. Every hab players at this time knew it, even the coach but hey, Lafleur was Lafleur, god on ice. I can't imagine something like happening today, even the best players of today doesn't have a chance to get away with this.

Do you think it was true?
Take in consideration the '70s were a crazy time.

Slats432 01-07-2004 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABitude

My close friend who's father was working at LaPresse (big job) in the '70s told me Lafleur was smoking cigarettes on the bench during games. He was faking he was attaching his laces of his skates and was smoking 2-3 puffs of a cigarette. To relax the tension. Every hab players at this time knew it, even the coach but hey, Lafleur was Lafleur, god on ice. I can't imagine something like happening today, even the best players of today doesn't have a chance to get away with this.

I have heard it more than once. I was also told that eventually that Scotty Bowman told him he couldn't smoke on the bench anymore.

Habsaku 01-07-2004 07:31 AM

Wow, the guy must've been one of the most endurent players in the league, most people I know who smoke can't play a full game without being completely tired.

Prrebel 01-07-2004 07:34 AM

I believe (as per rumours) that Mario Lemieux is/was a heavy smoker.
Correct me if I am wrong.

AS for Lafleur. I had heard and read about that several times.

HABitude 01-07-2004 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slats432
I have heard it more than once. I was also told that eventually that Scotty Bowman told him he couldn't smoke on the bench anymore.

It tells a lot about the seventies spirit: crazy, open. Everybody knows Bowman was severe, very severe. In an illustrated dictionary, there should be a picture of Bowman beside the word “severe”. Power Flower Lafleur was god, but at least I can imagine Bowman asking to stop smoking on the bench.

Bob Bastards 01-07-2004 07:57 AM

All this was in another time, where player could play the way they want, the Habs was a fear squad, every time you play in Boston one of your player got hurt and the Forum ghost was on our side. The player was a lot less trained then today and Lafleur really was a phenomenon.
As for a player doing that today, imagine the hell of a fight to kick is $hit out of the building in less time it take to say "Bob"...

HABitude 01-07-2004 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsaku
Wow, the guy must've been one of the most endurent players in the league, most people I know who smoke can't play a full game without being completely tired.

This is one thing about Lafleur: his cardio-vasco was very strong. One of the best of all athletes of all time. Others athletes with over-strenght cardio: Bjorn Borg and Pele (another great number 10).

I've heard Houle in interview talking about Lafleur: he told Lafleur needed about 30 sec on the bench to take his breathe back, he was able to come back for another long shift skating at full speed. Bowman was making some games during practices: he asked two teams playing 5-5, then 4-4, then 3-3. Lafleur was on one team, everybody (on the other team) wanted to be out because Lafleur was making the other team looking bad. Nobody wanted to be in the other team on 4-4, 3-3 was even worse.

Flower has exceptional cardio-vasco strenght and was smoking one pack a day.

chicpea* 01-07-2004 08:09 AM

I've heard the 'lafleur on the bench' rumour many times since I was a kid. I've never seen pics (hehe) but it wouldn't surprise me at all. It would've been funny had he played the Heritage Classic with a smoke in his mouth.
As for the Lemieux rumour, since it's already been mentioned above, I will say that I too have recently heard this and from a very reliable source (sounds dumb but true). I hear that he has been spotted in the hallway between periods.
As a smoker and former hockey player myself, both of these rumours just amaze me - it is so hard to even skate for an hour hard with crummy lungs. That's why they are in the NHL and i'm not i guess.

mcphee 01-07-2004 08:22 AM

At least Lafleur hid it on the bench. If Bowman let on that he knew, he couldn't discipline the team in the same way. From what I read though, if he found a lit cigarette on the bench he would have just yelled at Peter Mahovlich. The Little M was always in trouble and wouldn't get upset at being in Bowman's doghouse. So Bowman had the ideal scapegoat, yell at Pete, it doesn't bother him anyways, and the team remains in fear of the coach. I remember Shutt describing the elaborate drills Scotty would devise in practice. Lafleur would unfailingly screw them up. He seemed incapable of running set plays, but when left alone to improvise, well, you had Lafleur. Part of coaching I guess is to know when to stay out of the way.

loudi94 01-07-2004 08:28 AM

Read his book "Overtime" There's a lot of stuff in there that confirms many rumours.

Gros Bill 01-07-2004 08:30 AM

Smoking on the bench ? I find that vey difficult to believe. Maybe, just maybe, he could get away with smoking between periods. But I highly doubt he would on the bench.

Darz 01-07-2004 08:34 AM

I would assume if he smoked on the bench the camera would catch it from time to time, like when David Letterman use to try to sneak puffs of his cigar during his show, or that baseball manager who use to try and sneak a smoke during games (Leyland, I believe).

Slats432 01-07-2004 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicpea
I've heard the 'lafleur on the bench' rumour many times since I was a kid. I've never seen pics (hehe) but it wouldn't surprise me at all. It would've been funny had he played the Heritage Classic with a smoke in his mouth.
As for the Lemieux rumour, since it's already been mentioned above, I will say that I too have recently heard this and from a very reliable source (sounds dumb but true). I hear that he has been spotted in the hallway between periods.
As a smoker and former hockey player myself, both of these rumours just amaze me - it is so hard to even skate for an hour hard with crummy lungs. That's why they are in the NHL and i'm not i guess.

Here is even a more reliable source....Mario Lemieux.

http://espn.go.com/talent/danpatrick...7/1068376.html

mcphee 01-07-2004 09:03 AM

I think that it probably happened and if it did, the trainer or eqmt. guy was involved. I doubt it happened often, but every now and then, who knows. Makes for a good story though.

Gros Bill 01-07-2004 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee
I think that it probably happened and if it did, the trainer or eqmt. guy was involved. I doubt it happened often, but every now and then, who knows. Makes for a good story though.

Yeah, it does make a good story. But then, you also believe in sacred pretzels.

chicpea* 01-07-2004 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slats432
Here is even a more reliable source....Mario Lemieux.

http://espn.go.com/talent/danpatrick...7/1068376.html

thx for the article btw.
Ha, that guy Patrick, the interviewer, is a total moron.
I have just been informed by a friend that zubov used to smoke between periods too when he was in pittsburgh.

Guy Caballero 01-07-2004 10:02 AM

I've heard the rumour many times. I didn't even think it was a rumour. I thought it was common knowledge.

BTW, good call on Overtime. That was an interesting book. Required reading for anyone interested in the 70s Habs.

jcpenny 01-07-2004 11:52 AM

Damphousse was the worst of them all!

Sonik 01-07-2004 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcpenny
Damphousse was the worst of them all!

Yep, I also heard that he was a big smoker. Funny, I always though that hockey players were wise enough not to smoke. :p

tinyzombies 01-08-2004 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABitude

My close friend who's father was working at LaPresse (big job) in the '70s told me Lafleur was smoking cigarettes on the bench during games. He was faking he was attaching the laces of his skates and was smoking 2-3 puffs of a cigarette. To relax the tension. Every hab players at this time knew it, even the coach but hey, Lafleur was Lafleur, god on ice. I can't imagine something like happening today, even the best players of today doesn't have a chance to get away with this.

Contrary to popular belief, smoking actually makes you more nervous over time. Once I quit, I calmed down a lot.

When you are young, you can smoke and skate all day, but it does catch up to you when you get older and I think it did to Lafleur.

Joe Maximum 01-08-2004 05:23 AM

I know Ribeiro smokes... I heard from many freinds who work in high class restaurants that when Ribeiro goes in the restaurant, he smokes a lot ( 1 while checking menu, 1-2 while waiting for order, 2-3 once meal is done )

HABitude 01-08-2004 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Contrary to popular belief, smoking actually makes you more nervous over time. Once I quit, I calmed down a lot.

When you are young, you can smoke and skate all day, but it does catch up to you when you get older and I think it did to Lafleur.

Completely agree, Lafleur did slowed down a bit but in the other side, he was so phenomenon that it affected him just a little. I remember in the early heighties having read an article in LaPresse describing how smoking was affecting Lafleur's sleep. Smoke upbeat the heart and by smoking after a game it made Lafleur insomniac, getting to sleep at around 3-5AM every night he was playing in Montreal. Lemaire did not help Lafleur when he cut his icetime, he was inplanting a new strategy game, which became called later as the trap. In 84 Lafleur retired, he was playing something like 7 minutes a game. He was still much faster than average in NHL, still had a tremendious shoot but nothing seemed to work. Anyway, this is an old and well-knowned story...

At the age of 52, he said in november that he still skate faster than some old players /or slow players actually playing in the NHL. When “Bozo” Villeneuve* asked him if he intend to make a come-back, he replied no thanks, it doesn't interrest me at all. Spectators who see him play at the old Timers games are generally agree that Flower still have enough speed to follow the crowd in NHL. And he smoke (not sure if he still smoke) and he is 52.

*From now, Bozo Villeneuve will be the nick name of Michel “Michou” Villeneuve; the pretentious boull****ter of 110% everyone hates.

Darz 01-08-2004 10:24 AM

Didn't Lafleur quit smoking when he started training to make his comeback with the rags??

jcpenny 01-08-2004 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Maximum
I know Ribeiro smokes... I heard from many freinds who work in high class restaurants that when Ribeiro goes in the restaurant, he smokes a lot ( 1 while checking menu, 1-2 while waiting for order, 2-3 once meal is done )

Ribeiro use to party a lot! He was a big weed smoker. This behavior nearly cost him his career. Luckily for him, he adressed that problem. Too bad my old elementary school friend didnt do the same. He use to play on the same line with ribeiro in MidgetAAA and both would party togheter. His career went down consequently.

HABitude 01-08-2004 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HabzIsLife
:lol: he spooned with the cup :lol:

Funny interview indeed, very entertaining. Also, these americans (ESPN) doesn't know french a lot, the guy doesn't seem to understand that The Flower is a translation of Lafleur, The Flower doesn't inspire fear to the opposite team, they can't spell correctly a french canadian name like Lafleur or Laroche, they spell it like a french of France with capital letters like LaFleur, LaRoche where it souldn't, like if “La” was a royal title before the rest of the name.

I like a lot this direct approach interview, quite different than usual interviews who looks already written (full of clichés). :bow: