HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Jessiman update (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=41719)

#37-#93-#27* 01-07-2004 07:53 AM

Jessiman update

Hugh is third in the ECAC with 20 points. He leads the league in Points Per Game.

Code:

Point Scoring:                                              GP    PPG    G- A- P
  1  Mac Faulkner            Clarkson          JR LW      19    1.26    8-16-24
  2  Chris Blight            Clarkson          JR RW      19    1.11  11-10-21
  3  Hugh Jessiman            Dartmouth          SO F      13    1.54    9-11-20

against teams in the big east:
@ Boston College 4-1 loss
- Jessiman 0-1-1
@ Boston University 2-2 tie
- Jessiman 0-0-0
@ Maine 3-2 loss
- Jessiman 1-0-1
vs Massachusetts 3-3 tie
- Jessiman 1-0-1

Mark Pavelich 01-07-2004 12:59 PM

I'm a bit concerned about him not making the Junior team.

nyr5186 01-07-2004 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Pavelich

I think its important to understand that Jessiman was drafted with full knowledge that he's a very raw talent. The skills and size are there, but he hasnt translated that on the ice just yet, or perhaps he's just starting to do that now. That may explain why he had a dissapointing showing at the Team USA camp this past summer. After one year of college hockey, he might have been a little overwhelmed at the camp. If Team USA selected its roster just on raw talent and potential, Hugh would've been on it, but you dont get selected automatically just cause you were a high draft pick. You have to earn it, and obviously he didnt. I believe he's gonna develop very slowly, and wont even challenge for a spot on the Rangers until his 4 years in Dartmouth are over. However, the fact that he's leading the ECAC in PPG as a sophomore is very encouraging and I hope he keeps it up and continues to improve.

DarthSather99 01-07-2004 04:17 PM

Quote:

I'm sure Jessiman is more disappointed than you. He will work even harder knowing he didn't make that team. I think that team was mostly selected for it's great chemistry. Most of the players on that team were on the same team that won the Under 18 Junior Title a few years ago. It worked so I don't thave a problem with it. Jessiman will be fine.

Mark Pavelich 01-07-2004 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthSather99
I'm sure Jessiman is more disappointed than you.

You think? I am pretty disappointed. ;)

Edge 01-08-2004 03:27 PM

In Jessiman's defense the team won gold for a reason, it was a very good roster.

Without opening up another debate on whether he was the right player to pick, a team who picks jessiman is interested in the player that he will become, not what he is.

Bluenote13 01-08-2004 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
In Jessiman's defense the team won gold for a reason, it was a very good roster.

Without opening up another debate on whether he was the right player to pick, a team who picks jessiman is interested in the player that he will become, not what he is.

I agree, it's just that this type of player takes time. That is, if he becomes a great Power forward like everyone's hoping for. And this organization is not known for holding onto young players with promise.

Kovalev was kept for awhile, but ..... well, no one wants to hear that one.

Potter 01-10-2004 06:50 AM

Quote:

I may be mistaken but wasn't he hurt? You can't really do much for the team from the stands.

NYR469 01-10-2004 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Potter
I may be mistaken but wasn't he hurt? You can't really do much for the team from the stands.

he wasn't hurt. he just didn't play well during the camp over the summer and us opted to go more with speed than size (and obviously that game plan worked)

#37-#93-#27* 01-10-2004 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR469
he wasn't hurt. he just didn't play well during the camp over the summer and us opted to go more with speed than size (and obviously that game plan worked)

I thought try outs were a couple weeks before WCJ?

Edge 01-10-2004 03:59 PM

they were right after the prospect camp in calgary i believe, they were a while ago.

Jessiman didnt play all that hot.

his speed is fine i think he just needs to get faster at the mental part of the game.

That will be his make or break. its too early to tell but he'll either get it with experience or he won't. in his defense you have to understand how far out of nowhere he's come from.