HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Perreault to Flames rumor (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=41781)

VAN-HAB 01-07-2004 10:42 AM

Perreault to Flames rumor

According CBS SportsLine and Ottawa Sun, Yanic Perreault might be traded to Calgary.

Selon CBS SportsLine et le Ottawa Sun, Yanic Perreault pourrait aller faire un tour du coté de Calgary prochainement.

http://www.chfans.com

CrAzYNiNe 01-07-2004 10:45 AM

Good Stuff, free some more room for the kids, but doubt this will happend.

transplant99 01-07-2004 10:50 AM

Calgary take on a 2.8 million dollar marshmallow?

Not a chance.

VAN-HAB 01-07-2004 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
Good Stuff, free some more room for the kids, but doubt this will happend.

Perreault for Gauthier?

Big Bill 01-07-2004 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
Perreault for Gauthier?

Perrault for an late pick more likely. 2.8 mil is steep

Souffle 01-07-2004 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
According CBS SportsLine and Ottawa Sun, Yanic Perreault might be traded to Calgary.

Selon CBS SportsLine et le Ottawa Sun, Yanic Perreault pourrait aller faire un tour du coté de Calgary prochainement.

http://www.chfans.com

Well, the idea has been floated by some Habs fans a few times and it makes sense. There's just no room for him in Montreal with the youth movement and the emergence of Ribeiro.

On the other hand, he could fit with Calgary, at least for this season, with all the injuries they've had. And when everyone is healthy he could provide useful depth for a playoff run, should they continue their impressive play.

Salary is hardly an issue, as he is halfway through 2.8 million of the final year of his contract. But if Sutter wants the Habs to pick up some of the remaining 1.4 million, he will probably have to surrender a decent draft pick, perhaps a 3rd or a 4th. It's doubtful that there would be any other roster player involved.

looooob 01-07-2004 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davedave
Well, the idea has been floated by some Habs fans a few times and it makes sense. There's just no room for him in Montreal with the youth movement and the emergence of Ribeiro.

On the other hand, he could fit with Calgary, at least for this season, with all the injuries they've had. And when everyone is healthy he could provide useful depth for a playoff run, should they continue their impressive play.

Salary is hardly an issue, as he is halfway through 2.8 million of the final year of his contract. But if Sutter wants the Habs to pick up some of the remaining 1.4 million, he will probably have to surrender a decent draft pick, perhaps a 3rd or a 4th. It's doubtful that there would be any other roster player involved.

salary is a HUUUGEE issue. this is the team that kept Montador over Commodore because of a few hundred K, waived Jason Morgan to save his NHL salary and had to STRETCH to add Kiprusoff....1.4 M for half a year of Perreault is a big deal, and we wouldn't trade a 3rd rounder for the pleasure of the Habs picking up his salary.

besides Reinprecht is back now, and Conroy next week. we don't need Perreault at the expense of any tangible assets

Maithz 01-07-2004 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Bill
Perrault for an late pick more likely. 2.8 mil is steep

Sure , a 25 goals scorer . :o

Mr. Canucklehead 01-07-2004 11:43 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Flames have had tremendous injuries/ravages to the center position? Perrault is in the last year of his deal and the Flames likely wouldn't have to pick up too much of his salary, given the Habs have been trying to move him for some time. This would also alleviate some of the pressure on Calgary's few remaining centers or converts, by adding a centerman.

~Canucklehead~

Peter Griffin 01-07-2004 11:51 AM

What if the Flames sent some salary to Montreal?

looooob 01-07-2004 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
What if the Flames sent some salary to Montreal?

but who?

our 'tradeable' salary is essentially Gauthier,Lydman or Mcammond and I wouldn't deal any of them to acquire Perreault. sure possibly McAmmond, but still Perreault makes twice what he does

Souffle 01-07-2004 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looooob
salary is a HUUUGEE issue. this is the team that kept Montador over Commodore because of a few hundred K, waived Jason Morgan to save his NHL salary and had to STRETCH to add Kiprusoff....1.4 M for half a year of Perreault is a big deal, and we wouldn't trade a 3rd rounder for the pleasure of the Habs picking up his salary.

besides Reinprecht is back now, and Conroy next week. we don't need Perreault at the expense of any tangible assets

Hmmm, perhaps I am insensitive to the Flames' financial situation. But I was thinking of a few additional factors:

1. The strength of the Canadian dollar, which has gained nearly ten cents since late August. This translates into a 10% reduction in salary and some travel costs. For a budget of 30 or so million, well, do the math.

2. The insurance coverage for the mid to long-term injuries (mostly Turek). It doesn't cover everything, but it certainly defrays the cost considerably. And those other cost-cutting measures might be precisely to free up a little bit of money to add a player.

3. The presumed additional revenue, if slight, from increased attendance and a possible playoff appearance.

So it seems that a portion of 1.4 million is certainly do-able, even for the Flames.

But whatever, if they have a little bit of salary room, they might be better off adding someone else other than Perreault, especially with the return of Reinprecht and Conroy.

NFITO 01-07-2004 11:58 AM

with Reinprecht back, I don't see this making much sense for the Flames...

they are playing well and are in a good overall situation right now - and this with injuries...

being the cash conscious team they are, why add even $1mill salary in a rental player that is only useful until the regulars are back from injuries (which is soon, Conroy isn't far away).

in 2 weeks they will have a center ice of Reinprecht, Conroy, Yelle and Lombardi... why add Perrault at all??

I think the bigger concern is finding a way to move salary... Turek and his $4.5mill contract is coming off IR soon... they also have to make a decision on Conroy (UFA after this season) and Iginla (will be a UFA if they don't qualify his $7.5mill deal).

looooob 01-07-2004 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canucklehead17
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Flames have had tremendous injuries/ravages to the center position? Perrault is in the last year of his deal and the Flames likely wouldn't have to pick up too much of his salary, given the Habs have been trying to move him for some time. This would also alleviate some of the pressure on Calgary's few remaining centers or converts, by adding a centerman.

~Canucklehead~

yes. but Reinprecht came back yesterday, Conroy comes back next week and Yelle's injury appears to be minor.

hey I'd be thrilled if we acquired a depth centerman, but I won't give up anything of substance to get Yannik Perreault

Peter Griffin 01-07-2004 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looooob
but who?

our 'tradeable' salary is essentially Gauthier,Lydman or Mcammond and I wouldn't deal any of them to acquire Perreault. sure possibly McAmmond, but still Perreault makes twice what he does

Isn't Petr Buzek in the minors making an NHL salary?

looooob 01-07-2004 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
with Reinprecht back, I don't see this making much sense for the Flames...

they are playing well and are in a good overall situation right now - and this with injuries...

being the cash conscious team they are, why add even $1mill salary in a rental player that is only useful until the regulars are back from injuries (which is soon, Conroy isn't far away).

in 2 weeks they will have a center ice of Reinprecht, Conroy, Yelle and Lombardi... why add Perrault at all??

I think the bigger concern is finding a way to move salary... Turek and his $4.5mill contract is coming off IR soon... they also have to make a decision on Conroy (UFA after this season) and Iginla (will be a UFA if they don't qualify his $7.5mill deal).

long term I agree, but I think we are ok for the rest of this year

a. we are stuck with Turek
b. we will need to make a decision whether or not to move Conroy. I think this will be based on whether he would resign for cheaper this offseason or not . if Sutter thinks we are playoff bound, may be just as well keeping him as a playoff 'rental' of our own (ala Marchant in Edmonton last year) and see where the chips fall post CBA
c. Iginla only has to be qualified at 7.0 but I take your point

looooob 01-07-2004 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Isn't Petr Buzek in the minors making an NHL salary?

good question. he's in Europe.the Flames were going to buy him out but couldnt' because he was hurt. why he's playing in Europe I dunno. sure if Montreal wants his salary that's a start

Michalek 01-07-2004 12:12 PM

Is Yannic under contract for next year or is he FA?

Habsaku 01-07-2004 12:12 PM

I'm skeptic about this.

I don't see Perreault as a Sutter type of player at all, the Flames are an intense group while Yannic often kills any type of momemtum in a game.

Perreault's salary would not be welcomed, so we'd have to pay half for the rest of the year.

We wouldn't get much for him, perhaps a third or 4th liner or a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

The real problem for me is the first I listed, would Sutter really want a softie playing for him?

Habsaku 01-07-2004 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michalek
Is Yannic under contract for next year or is he FA?

hes a UFA.

Slats432 01-07-2004 12:20 PM

A short term solution halfway through the year to solve injury problems....I don't see it as out of the question. I thought Kilger would have been a better fit as maybe a fourth line guy in Cowtown but either way.

Michalek 01-07-2004 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsaku
hes a UFA.

Sutter said on many ocasions:
"We wont buy a player" ,also he said many times that we can be good hockey team only if we will be able to develop our young players , also he said that if he will make a trade ,it will be for a player(s) that will help this team not only for now ,but for years to come.
ie Warrener ,Reinprecht, Kiprusoff. Trom UFA market this year he went after Green and Wallin , both under 28.
he only supriced me with Oliwa ,but he cost us only 500k or so

Habsaku 01-07-2004 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michalek
Sutter said on many ocasions:
"We wont buy a player" ,also he said many times that we can be good hockey team only if we will be able to develop our young players , also he said that if he will make a trade ,it will be for a player(s) that will help this team not only for now ,but for years to come.
ie Warrener ,Reinprecht, Kiprusoff. Trom UFA market this year he went after Green and Wallin , both under 28.
he only supriced me with Oliwa ,but he cost us only 500k or so

Not surprised, but GM's say a lot of things. He might decide his team needs more goals and ask for the Habs to pay most of Perreaults salary. It would cost him very very little and I doubt anyone would be furious about a trade like that.

bertld 01-08-2004 07:26 AM

No way they give up a tangible asset for a player who is an unrestricted free agent next season. If the flames were even tempted by a Perrault deal why wouldn't they just sign Ronning to contract. Short term half a season would probably cost about $300,000 for the remainder of the season. That way they have the short term solution without giving up any assets at all and on top of all that Ronning is an energetic player and hard worker both of which suit the flames style of play while Perrault has neither.

looooob 01-08-2004 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bertld
No way they give up a tangible asset for a player who is an unrestricted free agent next season. If the flames were even tempted by a Perrault deal why wouldn't they just sign Ronning to contract. Short term half a season would probably cost about $300,000 for the remainder of the season. That way they have the short term solution without giving up any assets at all and on top of all that Ronning is an energetic player and hard worker both of which suit the flames style of play while Perrault has neither.

exactly. or Doug Gilmour.

Sutter has repeatedly said (and yes you have to take all gms with a grain of salt) that he isn't going to forego the future plans he has for the team for a quick fix. it seems stunning that as soon as our injured centers start coming back that he would offer a core asset (which Gauthier, Taratukhin or a 2nd rounder all are) to get Perreault