HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Face-off positioning (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=420442)

Phoenix 09-18-2007 11:52 PM

Face-off positioning

Another player recently explained how to "properly" line-up when you're in your defensive zone --> something which sounds good but for some reason has never been brought up in my usual games.

So is there a traditional line-up for the defensive zone? ie. like there is for the centre red-line face-off after a goal.

I was told, with a face-off on the right dot in the defensive zone, the players are lined up (from L to R in the same line facing opposing team): LW RW LD C RD.
Similarly on the left dot, it is LD C RD LW RW.

Up until now, I've played it as: LW LD C RD RW (on either dot)

Also, on the center line, the wingers are meant to be facing each other? And at what general distance from the red dot? Because sometimes I find my opponent (who is usually more higher-skilled), will position themselves much further away than me, and I'm not sure whether they're scheming some grand plan, and whether I should line up closer to them.

sc37 09-19-2007 07:18 PM

I think it works best is to have the D line up across from the winger they need to be covering right away and the wingers line up in a position so they can charge the puck if the other team wins the draw or in a position to rush the points.

If your short handed, just make sure you got someone lining up on in the middle/slot area.

XweekendwarriorX 09-19-2007 08:53 PM

If a winger is playinf off on the face off they might have a set play off the face off to win it back to the d and fire a quick pass to spring him to the races. i find it best to line like:Face off to the left of goalie.
LW-C-D,W(winger and d on same side)

D G

The Old Master 09-19-2007 09:23 PM

there is no "one right way" to line up. it all depends on what your center is trying to do, what the defence coverage is.what set play you are trying to make ect. on the teams i used to play for "most" of the time we would line up in an "L" with one de-man back and the rest on the line

Phoenix 09-22-2007 12:26 AM

Quote:

there is no "one right way" to line up
Ah - everything makes a lot more sense now. I thought there was some rule about it. Thanks!

droller* 09-22-2007 05:35 PM

Another great setup in the defensive zone is having 4 line up parallel and 1 D man on the back of the circle.

LD lines up on hashmarks with the winger
center on center (draw)
LW lines up on hashmarks inside slot (this enables him to get a jump on the D man on the boards as there is no winger to hold him up).
RD lines up against the winger (he stands behind the winger on the circle)
RW plays further out, enabling him to rush out to the far point.