HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Sandy McCarthy (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=42262)

Edge 01-09-2004 01:57 AM

Sandy McCarthy

Wow, after watching his performance this year {esp compared to Simon's} I have to admit it's almost embarassing to watch him now. I mean he couldn't even stay on his feet against Domi and actually looked like he intentionally ducked out of the fight.

I don't think I've ever seen an NHL fighter fall so far so fast. The guy's done.

pld459666 01-09-2004 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
Wow, after watching his performance this year {esp compared to Simon's} I have to admit it's almost embarassing to watch him now. I mean he couldn't even stay on his feet against Domi and actually looked like he intentionally ducked out of the fight.

I don't think I've ever seen an NHL fighter fall so far so fast. The guy's done.

To bad it was a year to late for Sather to realize it.

I knew it was over for him as a legit guy after doing the muscle flex on Cairns, and then proceeding to get absolutely hammered when they met again.

It's one thing to flex, another thing entirely to back it up.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 01-09-2004 03:37 AM

It seems to me like Sandy got tired of his enforcer role very early on in his career. That's why Calgary, Tampa, the Flyers (who love their goons), and Carolina gave up on him.

For the majority of his Ranger career he was a yapper and would try to intimidate by looking tough, talking tough and ultimately waiving his hand in the face of another player as if to indicate that that player wasn't worth it.

He is also under some sort of illusion that he is a consistent 20 goal scorer. He does have a minimal scoring touch but Sandy seems to have forgotten long ago what he is in the league to do.

As far as ducking out of fights, that might be more than he did last season. He wasn't even ducking out of them. How many beatings did Barnaby take because Sandy wouldn't go out and engage Brashear, Worrell or Cairns (although Barnaby seems to enjoy beatings).

kazo 01-09-2004 05:24 AM

The Bruins were fed up with his act a month into the season. They've been trying to unload him ever since but have had no takers.

Gee Wally 01-09-2004 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazo
The Bruins were fed up with his act a month into the season. They've been trying to unload him ever since but have had no takers.

could be...watch the waiver wire..

2 rookies were brought up.

first Doug Doull...who is now out with the flu.
and last night Colton Orr , while Sandy was a scratch.

He hasn't lived up to any expectations are far as I'm concerned.

kazo 01-09-2004 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gee Wally
could be...watch the waiver wire..

2 rookies were brought up.

first Doug Doull...who is now out with the flu.
and last night Colton Orr , while Sandy was a scratch.

He hasn't lived up to any expectations are far as I'm concerned.

Two tough, aggressive players.

I would think Sandra would see the handwriting on the wall.

Edge 01-09-2004 10:48 AM

Well he's been on the decline for a while but he's really taken a dive this season.

he squared off with domi a few nights ago, and before any punches were thrown i swear it look like he tried a baseball slide to the ice.

I mean he's not a small man either, there is no excuse for that.

But i agree he always seemed like one of those guys who "hated" his role. Got it into his head he was a checking winger who could pump in 20 goals and the combination yielded what we see now.

Gee Wally 01-09-2004 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
Well he's been on the decline for a while but he's really taken a dive this season.

he squared off with domi a few nights ago, and before any punches were thrown i swear it look like he tried a baseball slide to the ice.

yeah I saw that.. As much as I don't like Domi..I gotta give him his due on that one. he could have pounded the heck out of Sandy. He did the "old-time hockey thing ". In that he had the guy down down and didn't unload a shot when he could have. Just said a few things to him.

It was a pretty pathetic site though.

Bruinaholic 01-09-2004 01:52 PM

i use to respect Mcarthy,he use to be a top 5 enforcer,i always wanted him in the spoked B,but hes even more embarrasing then NAzarov was.

Edge 01-09-2004 04:51 PM

At least nazarov was willing. Essentially he is a big Barnaby, willing but not able.

I could even respect Sandy if that were the case, but it isn't. I mean seriously at this point he has to know his reputation is shot.

I mean i remember a preseason game against the bruins, and ranger fans boo'd him. That dipstick had the nerve to look surprised!