HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Shorten Composite Stick (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=424067)

WhipNash27 09-28-2007 03:38 PM

Shorten Composite Stick
 
Anyone know how to shorten a composite stick without ruining the flex or if it is even possible?

santiclaws 09-28-2007 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PruBlue25 (Post 10568763)
Anyone know how to shorten a composite stick without ruining the flex or if it is even possible?

Well, you won't "ruin" the flex, but the stick will get stiffer. If you're cutting by 6" or so, you can put in an Oggie Grip, it should restore the original flex.

lotus 09-28-2007 04:50 PM

There is no way a stick wont get stiffer if you shorten it. I made this mistake once on a Vector I bought that is sized very large so you can cut it down to fit you no matter how tall, or in my case short you are. I didn't think I would be cutting off as much as I needed to. Suddenly that 85 turned into probably whats a 110 easton at the same height as my synergy which was 85 flex.

McNasty 09-28-2007 05:22 PM

I have a Bauer One90 77 flex, cut a few inches off and it says its an 84, but it's still got a lot more whip then my 85 flex. I wouldn't worry about it unless your cutting off like 6 7 8 inches

Sensfanman 09-28-2007 05:36 PM

The Hockey stick and it's motion is more or less a 3rd class lever (the force goes between your shoulder (the fulcrum) and the load (the puck))

Levers rely on two things, the material they are made off and the length of the stick. All of this follows the ration L/l = R/E

L= length of effort arm, l = length of resistance arm. R = resistance weight and E = Force applied. Now then, shortening the stick lowers your effort arm, therefore making the left side of the equation drop. This makes R/E smaller, so either the Force applied must increase or the resistance weight must drop (but the puck is constant so it won't).

Therefore, in all that physics jargon, the following can be extracted. Shortening the stick means you must apply more force to get the same leverage. AKA: the stick feels/works as though it's stiffer even if it isn't.

Note: All this assumes your lower hand position is the same before and after you shorten the stick.

Yay for being an engineer hahaha.

Nosebleed Section 09-28-2007 11:44 PM

Quote:

The Hockey stick and it's motion is more or less a 3rd class lever (the force goes between your shoulder (the fulcrum) and the load (the puck))

Levers rely on two things, the material they are made off and the length of the stick. All of this follows the ration L/l = R/E

L= length of effort arm, l = length of resistance arm. R = resistance weight and E = Force applied. Now then, shortening the stick lowers your effort arm, therefore making the left side of the equation drop. This makes R/E smaller, so either the Force applied must increase or the resistance weight must drop (but the puck is constant so it won't).

Therefore, in all that physics jargon, the following can be extracted. Shortening the stick means you must apply more force to get the same leverage. AKA: the stick feels/works as though it's stiffer even if it isn't.

Note: All this assumes your lower hand position is the same before and after you shorten the stick.

Yay for being an engineer hahaha.
Yay for grade 8 science.

On topic, I don't beleive its possible for you to shorten a stick without makeing it stiffer. Even this oggie grip stuff what it is it? The sticks I've known have become more flexible with use so if you cut then keep useing it for a while then you might get the original flex back or close to.

WhipNash27 09-29-2007 10:59 AM

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descp...ml?pcode=OERGO

They say
Quote:

# Flex-Point® System:

* Flex grooves are built into the composite structural core of the grip
* Allows the stick to be cut to a point, if needed, and still maintain it's original flex pattern - Normally when a stick is cut, the flex of the stick will become stiffer.
* Oggie grips not only put the flex back into the stick, but they also enhance the flex

# Tests have proven the Oggie Ergo grip will improve stick control and the speed of shots

sc37 09-29-2007 01:32 PM

Sooo you cut and add more flex back by making it longer again this negating the cutting....am I missing something or just don't understand how the Oggie Grip works?

Sensfanman 09-29-2007 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc37 (Post 10578204)
Sooo you cut and add more flex back by making it longer again this negating the cutting....am I missing something or just don't understand how the Oggie Grip works?

Oggie grip seems to be ergonomically designed to fit the grip a player has thus allowing more force to be applied with your top hand. Instead of energy going to deforming your hand and glove to fit the square grip, it goes to the stick allowing for more flex without adding height. That's how I think it works, could be wrong.

Nosebleed Section 09-29-2007 02:50 PM

Yeha I dont want to cut my stick so I can put a plug in and make the same the length and flex it was in the first place. I think this is more for if you cut you stick and are out growing it or jsut outgrowing it. maybe?

EazyB97 09-29-2007 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Mojorisin (Post 10579025)
Yeha I dont want to cut my stick so I can put a plug in and make the same the length and flex it was in the first place. I think this is more for if you cut you stick and are out growing it or jsut outgrowing it. maybe?

No, it gives a different grip and they make some performance claims. It's supposed to be for everyone, not just people outgrowing their sticks.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.