HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   My First League Game is TONIGHT! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=424735)

BuddehJuS 09-30-2007 04:09 PM

My First League Game is TONIGHT!

Well, the time has come! Tonight is my first league game for the C2 division(the lowest) at my local rink. I've played nothing but open hockey since I started playing which is about 10 months ago. I've played twice a week religiously, sometimes 3 times a week with a private session sprinkled throughout every now and then. (They're expensive.)

I'm really really jacked to play, mainly for two reasons, one, I get to play with people my own skill level, two, a league game from what I can tell is way more intense and competitive then open hockey.

I've watched a couple of the league games and I feel pretty confident because last week we had a scrimmage against C1 and B players(both higher divisions) and I held my own pretty well. I had a lot of takeaways but they just didn't go my way on the scoresheet.

My goal is to not stay in the C2, I want to continually get better and hopefully in a few years, go after the B league which is pretty competitive at my rink.

Tonight, I just hope I don't hold my stick too tightly and play a good team game while scoring a goal would be quite the icing on the cake. :)

Anybody have any other stories they would like to share?

gamera 09-30-2007 06:57 PM

good luck tonight!

i actually have the LAST game of my first ever hockey season tonight. i can't believe we're at game 20 already! :cry:

:hockey:

Augustus Pablo 09-30-2007 07:30 PM

good luck as the other poster said, I had my first teams exhibition game last night, my first game in nets in 3 or 4 years and we won 4-2! All you need to do is relax.

BuddehJuS 10-01-2007 12:32 AM

Oooof! Well, it was definitely an experience. We lost 7-1 which is fine, we knew we were going to get beat harsh. But, I wasn't too happy with my play, I felt I could have done a lot better. I'm kinda bummed since the team has felt they relied on me and I let them down.

On the brightside, face-offs were fun and it was a good learning experience and I can't get by on my open hockey strategies because they don't work in a league game.

We don't play for 2 weeks thus I've gotta kinda sulk on it but I plan to do a lot of thinking and make sure I play that much better our next game.

Ducks 10-01-2007 12:49 AM

league play is all about communication on the ice, knowing how to break the puck out from your own zone, and getting to know how your teammates play.

You'll adjust, I wouldn't sulk over it. It's a lot different than pick up hockey, but you'll get it down. The main thing is to have fun.

WhipNash27 10-01-2007 08:09 AM

If it's your first time playing, it will take quite some time to adjust to actual game play. Open-hockey is crap compared to an actual game.

Hank19* 10-01-2007 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddehJuS (Post 10595985)
Oooof! Well, it was definitely an experience. We lost 7-1 which is fine, we knew we were going to get beat harsh. But, I wasn't too happy with my play, I felt I could have done a lot better. I'm kinda bummed since the team has felt they relied on me and I let them down.

On the brightside, face-offs were fun and it was a good learning experience and I can't get by on my open hockey strategies because they don't work in a league game.

We don't play for 2 weeks thus I've gotta kinda sulk on it but I plan to do a lot of thinking and make sure I play that much better our next game.

Try not to get too down about it. Hockey's about having fun, getting to be buds with your teammates and having pops after the game.

BuddehJuS 10-01-2007 09:34 AM

Thanks for the added sentiment guys. Your all right, league play is incredibly different. But, last night before the game, one of the players was talking to another and saying that he thinks me and another player would be able to help keep them competitive. The other player did keep it competitive but I was pretty ineffective minus a few takeaways and blocked shots. I had a few offensive chances but they ended up just failing with no shots on net. I had a one-on-one and the defenseman read my deke perfectly. It was all kind of frustrating but a good time as well. Also, I don't think I'm cut out for center. I'd much rather ride the wing.

Gino 14 10-01-2007 10:51 AM

One game does not outline the rest of your life. Dwelling on your mistakes is OK as long as you use it to work on your weaknesses. If all you use it for is to beat yourself down, you won't last and won't have any fun either. Remember, it's still a game, games are supposed to be fun.

Clint 10-01-2007 11:04 AM

I miss organized hockey. :( I haven't skated since my skates were stolen out of my garage two years ago. Not like it matters, there isn't any ice in this **** hole we call Tallanasty.

BuddehJuS 10-01-2007 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PruBlue25 (Post 10597006)
If it's your first time playing, it will take quite some time to adjust to actual game play. Open-hockey is crap compared to an actual game.

Because of time given? The talent level is way higher in open hockey then my c2league though the team we played last night had at least 4-5 guys who should have been in the higher league but what can ya do. A friend of mine who watched me play who payed for quite a few years said that I did quite well and hustled but I guess everyone is there own worst critic.

the_speedster 10-02-2007 07:41 PM

get hit..

I'm guessing this is "non contact hockey but a good "incidental" collision helps get the nerves relaxed. Basically keep your senses on and enjoy the sights sounds (and smells :) I wish I could remember my first game or goal It was so nerve wracking that I remember gettin'' dressed for it but no details.. Good luck!

xeric716x 10-02-2007 09:12 PM

good luck

EmptyNetter 10-02-2007 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddehJuS
I've played nothing but open hockey since I started playing which is about 10 months ago.

Quote:

I'm kinda bummed since the team has felt they relied on me and I let them down.
Quote:

But, last night before the game, one of the players was talking to another and saying that he thinks me and another player would be able to help keep them competitive.
Here's what I don't get. Why is your team putting so much pressure on you when you've only played for 10 months? No matter how promising a player you might be and no matter how many lessons you may have had you're still a beginner. You need to allow yourself to make plenty of mistakes in the course of learning. And it's likely you won't have fun if you don't allow yourself to goof up once in awhile. Most important your team mates need to step up and not count on you to do everything. Everybody needs to learn their position and be prepared to carry the puck.

I hope you have a great season. I'll be starting my second season of league play. Big turnover from last season but that might be a good thing. We had a big problem with attendance so our 7 or 8 skaters were constantly humiliated (and exhausted) by rosters twice our size. We also have a plan to practice together (we didn't last season). Hopefully having more line changes and knowing our positions will make a difference. :)

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD 10-03-2007 01:12 AM

Get yourself on the ice before your next game regardless if its open hockey or public session. If you pay attention to detail, the ice time will help.

Practice makes perfect lol.

If thats out of the question, try and get an off ice workout to get yourself going. Stretch everyday, especially before game time. Extremely important regardless of the level of play.

2 weeks is a bit of time before your next game and you'll be sucking up wind if you dont get some kind of aerobic or anaerobic workout.

Skate, Skate, Skate...work on your tecnique. If you can't skate and keep up with the big boys, it's going to be hard for you to make the jump to the higher Divisions.

Good Luck to you and your team this season...

-B

BuddehJuS 10-03-2007 03:17 PM

Well, there is open hockey which i play about twice a week so I'll be on the ice about 4 times before my next league game. The thing is the team overall is a bunch of novices, most started skating in May during a learn to skate program at the rink. I maybe putting added pressure on myself since I'm one of the better skaters on the team and want to do really well for myself and the team. Plus, I OVERLY think everything so it's maybe my own head messing with me, it is beer league after all.

In The Flesh 10-03-2007 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddehJuS (Post 10626279)
Well, there is open hockey which i play about twice a week so I'll be on the ice about 4 times before my next league game. The thing is the team overall is a bunch of novices, most started skating in May during a learn to skate program at the rink. I maybe putting added pressure on myself since I'm one of the better skaters on the team and want to do really well for myself and the team. Plus, I OVERLY think everything so it's maybe my own head messing with me, it is beer league after all.

Is there hitting, are you hitting?

BuddehJuS 10-03-2007 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 (Post 10626367)
Is there hitting, are you hitting?

Nope, beer league using usa hockey rules.

BuddehJuS 10-13-2007 10:03 AM

Update: 10/13

Well, our second game is tomorrow night and we're playing the team that finished 2nd place in the standings last season. I'm hoping for a good game on my part,(I know it's a team effort) I've put a lot of extra time in at the rink, playing open hockey twice a day since our last game. I've found playing twice in one day really helps and you will play much better your next game. I'm jacked to play and I'm going to stay at center and see what I can do after 2 weeks of skating and hopefully get my first goal. We will get creamed but hopefully we can get a few goals for the guys as well and boost our confidence overall as a team.

newfish 10-13-2007 10:09 AM

Just have fun, and dont take it so seriously. The only time you have to take it seriously is when there is money on the line or championship

WhipNash27 10-13-2007 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddehJuS (Post 10607850)
Because of time given? The talent level is way higher in open hockey then my c2league though the team we played last night had at least 4-5 guys who should have been in the higher league but what can ya do. A friend of mine who watched me play who payed for quite a few years said that I did quite well and hustled but I guess everyone is there own worst critic.

There's a few reasons.

A game is much more organized than open hockey. A good team will actually play a quasi system in a real game. Many teams have been playing together for quite some time so they know each other and how to play with each other. Open hockey is not like this.

When a really good player goes to open hockey he's just screwing around and feels like skating through the whole team and scoring a few goals (or will just try to set everyone up). They don't play with any real organization as there's no real need to. Plus, they aren't trying their hardest either.

Also, time helps you become more comfortable. I always see guys who do pretty well in open hockey but then when they play a game once the puck gets to them they're nervous and don't know what to do with it. It takes time, sometimes it's quick, other times it may take 2 or 3 seasons. Just stick with it.

BuddehJuS 10-14-2007 09:16 AM

Well, it's on like Kong tonight! I get off at work at 4, the game isn't till 9:40 so I can get a nap! I'm really jacked to play to make up for my first game debacle!

Tonight:

IceMen Vs. Ice Beer Frogs

DUN DUNNN DUNNN!!! :)

Grave77digger 10-14-2007 05:05 PM

Dont take it all to seriously, i started 2 years ago which is about 4 adult league seasons. I managed a hat trick in each of my first 2 seasons then none. But just last week I scored 5 in one game for the first time. The refs screwed the scoring up and only gave me 4 of them though. Finding a team with a bunch of nice guys is more important than being on the best team.

BuddehJuS 10-14-2007 11:17 PM

Well, we lost 8-1....

But, I had a great time! All the first game jitters were gone and I played a great game offensively and defensively! My girlfriend called me a hockey monster! lol

I had a bunch of scoring chances but the goalie stoned me every time. I set-up nice plays as well but my linemates kept fanning on em. They are all novices to the skating and stickhandiling so it's understandable, we're all out to have a good time.

Some of the guys seem to be getting a bit disappointed that at our to big losses (10-1 and 8-1) but we haven't been shut out so that is always a good sign but morale might be kinda low. Nobody wants to get there butt kicked every night.

The game for me was night and day compared to my first and I feel so much more confident than I did last game. Sadly, I have to wait 10 days until my next game but we'll see how it goes. I can hit up plenty of open hockey before then and then the league starts in full swing!

Hank19* 10-15-2007 08:55 AM

Glad to hear you had a better time in game 2.

And I wouldn't worry about the scores. It'll get better and it could be worse.

In University some buddies and I played in the inter-school league. We needed a goalie and a guy we knew in our residence was always going on and on about how awesome of a goalie he was. He was about 6'6" and well over 300 pounds. But we figured, even if he's exaggerating about his skill, he should still be able to cover most of the net by standing still. Boy were we wrong.

Our first game we lost 19-2. The other team actually started feeling sorry for us so they began simply shooting the puck after crossing the redline. But unfortunately for us, that didn't help as he let those in too. After a goal from their blueline (no joke) the guy who scored the goal turned to me and started apologizing. I told him if our goalie couldn't stop a 120 foot shot, then it should be me apologizing to them.

To say our goalie was horrible would be a vast understatement. Because of his girth, if he went down the best he could do was grab on to the crossbar with one hand trying to pull himself up, while frantically flailing his stick around hoping to stop anything near him. Not only that, but if the puck went behind the net, he would literally turn around to face the shooter. They must have scored 10 of their goals from quick bang-bang passes from behind the net.

At the end of the season (which couldn't have come fast enough), someone did the math and we determined that our goalies GAA was above 12.
In a couple of games, the only fun we would have was counting the shots against to see if our goalie would get a save % better than 20%. He never broke the 20% barrier. Again, this is no joke or exaggeration.

And just so it's clear, we weren't a bad skating team. We actually had a good group of players. So much so that we won the championship the next season by simply replacing our goalie with one that could actually stop pucks.

I'll never forget that season no matter how hard I try. But I'll say this, it makes for great stories while sitting around having some beers.