HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Washington Capitals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Buccigross: Caps 14th in East (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=425190)

mrwarden 10-01-2007 05:37 PM

Buccigross: Caps 14th in East

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/previe...t&lid=tab4pos2

The Viking Fury 10-01-2007 05:37 PM

doubtful

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 10-01-2007 05:45 PM

Either Florida or Carolina has to be his #1 seed. He's got the bottom 3 teams in the conference coming from the SE.

RandyHolt 10-01-2007 05:47 PM

Like anyone at ESPN gives a hoot about hockey in the first place. I am surprised they even have predictions. He goes on to say "this 14th spot might be too low" contradicting himself somewhat.

Langway 10-01-2007 05:48 PM

Quote:

This season, Washington will either mildly surprise by reaching the postseason or get another lottery pick.
:huh:

HSHS 10-01-2007 05:54 PM

Isn't Bucci's predictions like the Lee Corso pick "kiss of death"?

Him selecting 14th could be a good thing!

malyk 10-01-2007 05:54 PM

I sent him an e-mail. I don't expect it to be in tomorrow 10-6 preview, but what the heck?

I told him that I think the bruins, isle, and thrashers are surely in worse shape. And tampa bay could be right there with them. I also told them they should be somewhere around 10th and that while he is right to point to the d as the weak point he is totally underestimating the growth of the youngsters and the puck possession game the caps will be able to play.

Marshall 10-01-2007 05:55 PM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

John Buccigross is to NHL media personalities as Gary Cherone is to Van Halen singers.

Drake1588 10-01-2007 06:03 PM

Bah... the east is tight, and until the Caps go out and show they've improved, a certain amount of skepticism probably isn't a travesty. I think they can make the playoffs, myself, but I'm not sure I begrudge anyone else who thinks there's still too much youth, too many new guys in the top six (4/6), and too many questions on defense. An outsider's conclusion that everything trends in the right direction, but it'll take another year... well, that's not an unreasonable assumption.

This is a tough year to have to pick the east. The margins are going to be razor thin.

pgreene 10-01-2007 06:32 PM

:dunno:
if there's one thing our oc friend taught us, it should be that it's best to ignore silly people saying silly things. he had to pick someone 14th. acting like anything he says matters just...well...meh.

Stimpy 10-01-2007 07:11 PM

The Caps have been picked from 3rd to 15th in the East. It's a C(r)ap shoot, this year. Just wait and see.

xcaliber002 10-01-2007 07:19 PM

hard to say where the caps will finish, there are so many variables...as for Buccigross' comments, you gotta consider the source...ESPN is jack **** when it comes to hockey...

Skk82 10-01-2007 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stimpy (Post 10604934)
The Caps have been picked from 3rd to 15th in the East. It's a C(r)ap shoot, this year. Just wait and see.

yeah. i've noticed:
--fans seem to be at the high end of that spectrum, believing the team will win the SE outright or probably battle for a playoff spot
--close observers and knowledgable journalists seem to be mostly in the middle, thinking the division crown could be possible if everything happens right, but mainly the caps should be on the bubble for a playoff spot
--and large, distant media services--the kind that think Ben Clymer is a still a defenseman--tend to put the Capitals still in the basement, drawing off past results more than expected performance.

All three schools of thought have a few relative strong points, but also a lot of questions. How those questions are answered, obviously, will determine how season pans out...It will make some look pretty smart and some look like fools that over or under-estimated the team.

RandyHolt 10-01-2007 07:50 PM

The Caps think Clymer is a Dman too

http://capitals.nhl.com/team/app?ser...rs&type=roster

But yeah fans are always over optimistic.

czm* 10-01-2007 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyHolt (Post 10605374)
The Caps think Clymer is a Dman too

http://capitals.nhl.com/team/app?ser...rs&type=roster

But yeah fans are always over optimistic.

No, that would be the NHL. The team's rosters are directly from NHL.com, last time I checked.

Backstrom #19 10-01-2007 08:46 PM

I think there is a 5% chance that we finish 14th, at the lowest we should be 11th.

txpd 10-01-2007 08:51 PM

I think what Buccigross writes is perfectly logical. Picking Atlanta 15th is far more of a statement than saying the Caps might make the playoffs, but if they don't its still good for them.

He admits to being wishy washy afterall. He can see that they could be a lot better than 14th and says so. The issue is that what will get them into the playoffs or not is fairly unproven players on defense. Poti might have been a great choice, but his rep is not that of Nik Lidstrom just yet. Morrisonn and Jurcina are not household names and Green and Schultz are not established even.

Someone says the Caps end up 3rd thinks that the Caps will strike paydirt with the defensemen and that they will dine on a division where the other teams could all legitamately stink.

This just an opportunity for the anti-ESPN to take some shots. What he wrote is reasonable.

strungout 10-01-2007 09:14 PM

Might be reasonable...but he's still a tool.

Drake1588 10-01-2007 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strungout (Post 10606257)
Might be reasonable...but he's still a tool.

No argument on that one.

EroCaps 10-01-2007 09:51 PM

Classic Bucci.

All supposed "style", little substance.

RandyHolt 10-01-2007 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by czm (Post 10605510)
No, that would be the NHL. The team's rosters are directly from NHL.com, last time I checked.

Yeah i know - the caps have to tell the league to tell the contractor they hired to change that still. But maybe its good - it may increase his trade value if other teams think he is dman.

mrwarden 10-01-2007 09:57 PM

In the interest of not having 30 different threads everytime I find a new preview, here's the Hockey News on the SE, picking the Caps first:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/s...eenshots070928

I can stop posting these if people are sick of seeing them.

Edit: Maybe one of the mods can change the thread title for me to include this most recent preview if they think people want to read it?

itsjustsurvival 10-01-2007 11:03 PM

i pick the caps to finish 14th in the east and 14th overall

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 10-01-2007 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsjustsurvival (Post 10607438)
i pick the caps to finish 14th in the east and 14th overall

Umm, sarcasm?

itsjustsurvival 10-01-2007 11:22 PM

haha. maybe.

but i was just amused at the thought of an entire conference sucking really badly, and at the same time distibuting points in a way where the other conference has most of its teams ahead of the other.

i doubt its really possible with so many divisional games and what not. but whatever.