HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Philadelphians Strike Again ! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=42523)

Mathletic 01-09-2004 06:37 PM

Philadelphia Strikes Again !

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/local/7658631.htm

just read

Theoren Fan 01-09-2004 06:50 PM

Classy town that Philadelphia is...

Mathletic 01-09-2004 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo Fan
Classy town that Philadelphia is...

it's adding to a very long list ...

DJ Spinoza 01-09-2004 06:55 PM

This is just a shame, and further's my rooting for the Packers somewhat during the playoffs.

Although, I guess... to be fair... you Flyers fans here ... aren't. . . that bad. There, I said it.

;)

jplush76 01-09-2004 07:02 PM

I'm glad I was able to move to LA

DanKordicsFist 01-09-2004 07:12 PM

I don't know if you guys can actually read or not, but that was written by a person, not a whole city. Get it?

Mathletic 01-09-2004 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanKordicsFist
I don't know if you guys can actually read or not, but that was written by a person, not a whole city. Get it?

Philly is a dump, people booed Irvin when he was dying on the field ... I know it's only one guy but let's say that Philly reputation is not getting any better

blah 01-09-2004 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles
Philly is a dump, people booed Irvin when he was dying on the field ... I know it's only one guy but let's say that Philly reputation is not getting any better

I thought they cheered after the big hit and then booed after he was taken out on a stretcher.

paxtang 01-09-2004 09:34 PM

Quote:

Coming from a someone who is from Quebec, that hurts. J/K, thought I'd add to the stereotyping here.

clefty 01-09-2004 10:54 PM

I'm not bashing the people on this board or the city of Philadelphia. I've never beeen there. But that is the worst, most disgusting, most pernicious piece of writing I've ever read. There is no intention to inform, discuss or even present an opinion in that article. Maybe I'm just overreacting, but I've never encountered anything like that in the media in my life. How on earth was this allowed to be published?

I'm not a football fan, but all of a sudden something has come over me, and it goes something like this:

Go Packers.

Rex88 01-10-2004 02:50 AM

That people would make fun of anothers death is terrible.
That does not mean Philly is full of Aholes or a dump.
It does suggest that a very stupid group of people visit that web site and post. That the paper gave them a voice and recognition boggles my mind.
I lived downtown for a number of years and yes it is not the nicest, most hospitable or most beatiful city, but there are many good places and people.
I am ashamed that that came out of the city. A personal call to the Packers and Farve would have been more appropriate for all parties.
Also planting "Philadelphia *******s" as the thread title does little to raise my opinion of you. How about "Horrific article" or "Eagles fans out of line" something not as an attack on the people on this board.
Thanks

blah 01-10-2004 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jplush76
I'm glad I was able to move to LA

Right b/c LA is any better. Seriously, think.

Liquidrage* 01-10-2004 04:20 AM

You know what I dislike about our society? How the death of a famous person, or the death of a family member of a famous person, gets showered with love.

You don't think someone on the Eagles recently lost a loved one? A father? A mother? A wife? A sister? Where are their stories and their angels?
And that can be said for any team or practically anyone.

Brett Favre's father got to live a special life. He got to see his son play in the NFL, win a Super Bowl, etc. Thats incredible. Thats something 99.999999% never experienced on any level.
And there's people out there none of us have ever heard of that lived lives that truely deserved to be cherished. They weren't (or their son wasn't) in the spotlight. But their deaths aren't any less important or less painfull.

I feel bad for Brett. I really do. And I hope he's able to recover from the loss. Not everyone does. My wife still cries every year on mother's day.
But I don't feel Brett loss is any more painfull or important then anyone else's that gone through something similiar. And thats a lot of people. And eventually everyone gets in that list.

dedalus 01-10-2004 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquidrage
I feel bad for Brett. I really do. And I hope he's able to recover from the loss. Not everyone does. My wife still cries every year on mother's day. But I don't feel Brett loss is any more painfull or important then anyone else's that gone through something similiar.

You're right and that's fair but that's also very different from going to a public forum like a web site or a radio program and mocking the guy and his sorrow.

Your live-and-let-live attitude isn't what people object to. In fact I suspect most of us feel exactly the same.

DanKordicsFist 01-10-2004 05:07 AM

There are a few things that don't translate to people who read that article and don't read the paper on a daily basis. That article is meant as a joke. They do it for almost every upcoming opponent. This was HORRIFICALLY out of line and several readers have complained. It is not funny, it is not the typical "tear down the town" sarcasm they always used before. It is not symbolic of the people of the city.

The cities reputation is built on misunderstandings and a belief that it only happens in Philly. They cheered when a hated rival hit the turf, and he wasn't laying there dying. How would they have known how serious it was. They booed when he was taken off the field, why? Reporters said it was because Philly has no class. Plenty of people clapped, I don't claim to know why they booed. The clappers might have been the ones who were glad he was leaving.

Kobe got booed at the All-star game. Philly got another black-eye. Did any reporters explain that only 1 to 2 thousand seats out of 20 thousand were allowed to be sold to fans? All the people booing were from all over the country.

Santa got snowballs thrown at him. Did you know the guy who was Santa understood it was all in good fun because the team stunk? It was blown out of proportion by the media. They don't even know what stadium it happened in, but they like to bring it up.

Snowballs have been thrown in lots of stadiums. Refs in Cleveland ran out of the stadium getting plastic beer bottles thrown at them. Pat Lafontaine had to leave a game in MSG as an Islander on a stretcher with a neck brace on and Ranger fans surrounded the stretcher, not allowing him to leave while yelling obscenities at him. It was an emergency, but the Ranger fans blocked the way for quite a while.

Oh well, I guess it's just Philly though, huh? It's fun to generalize, it gives you that cozy feeling knowing Philly is evil and you're good. All is right in the world.

Gagne2433 01-10-2004 05:47 AM

I love how the entire Philadelphia sports reputation is based upon a handful of numbnuts.....

Every city has them. Every fanbase has them. Why Philadelphia is the one city that has its entire reputation based upon them is beyond me....

SouthFlyer82 01-10-2004 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dedalus
You're right and that's fair but that's also very different from going to a public forum like a web site or a radio program and mocking the guy and his sorrow.

Your live-and-let-live attitude isn't what people object to. In fact I suspect most of us feel exactly the same.

Actually I didn't see it as they were mocking Bretts sorrow, I saw it as mocking the media and the Brett Favre love fest fort he past 6 weeks.

blah 01-10-2004 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthFlyer82
Actually I didn't see it as they were mocking Bretts sorrow, I saw it as mocking the media and the Brett Favre love fest fort he past 6 weeks.

I saw it the same way. Other people just like condem everything. Personally, I'm sick of this Brett Farve destiny crap and saw NOTHING WRONG with the article.

Bob Clarke Fan Club 01-10-2004 07:31 AM

Wow...that has to be the sickest piece of trash I've read on these boards. For anyone to class Philly's fans because of it is nothing more than ignorance though. Think about it, the people flaming the Philly fans are no better than the writer of the freaking article. :mad:

Bob Clarke Fan Club 01-10-2004 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blah
I saw it the same way. Other people just like condem everything. Personally, I'm sick of this Brett Farve destiny crap and saw NOTHING WRONG with the article.

It's bad...not relevent to Football. Put yourself in Favre's place...betcha you sing a different tune. I know if I was Favre, I'd like to get my hands around the writer's neck.

Bob Clarke Fan Club 01-10-2004 07:38 AM

Quote:

You're locted where??? :joker:

dedalus 01-10-2004 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthFlyer82

Could be. I took it that way based on, "And now, Birds fans are bad-mouthing Favre, big time." It looks from the article like both the media and Favre are getting trashed.

Ultimately Mr. Russell can be very pleased with the article. Like it or hate it, here we are talking about it.

peteo 01-10-2004 07:42 AM

Stereotyping people in Philadelphia.

Quote:

They are not all the same.And it makes it hard to build self
esteem.Treat people individually.

NJDevs430 01-10-2004 08:18 AM

I don't see the point of this post.
}:-(>
People from one place that don't like the sports teams from another place use something like this as evidence of...what?
That Philadelphia is not a nice town?
The people of Philadelphia are somehow beneath them?
I'll admit that I've ranted and raved against rival teams and rival cities in the past, and I was wrong to do so. This article proves nothing about the city of Philadelphia or Flyers fans or Eagles fans or Phillies fans...all it proves is the author chose a poor tack for his article.
I'm sure he wishes he could take it back if he knew as many people would take it as a bad reflection of the city.
My question to the original poster is this: how far are you willing to go to prove yourself wrong? Are you willing to go to Philly and see what the town is all about? If not, then you're just as bad as the author of this article, who's probably never been to Mississippi or Wisconsin.
Philly is a great town (I just dislike the Flyers and Eagles is all).

King Fish 01-10-2004 08:24 AM

I'm not sure how to take this article. It sounds as if the writer is trying to say that Brett is a not so good guy who happened to loose his father, which is not uncommon. The whole angels on the shoulder of the packers is overboard and that's the national media's fault. I listen to sports radio in philly and people were simply saying that "Team of Destiny" is overblown. I have no problem with the article.