HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   and it appears that the deal.... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=425382)

irisheyes555 10-02-2007 04:08 AM

and it appears that the deal....

for the new ownership group may be off now. :cry:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....710020375/1028

Peter Angelo 10-02-2007 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irisheyes555 (Post 10608765)
for the new ownership group may be off now. :cry:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....710020375/1028

horrible read :(

Enoch 10-02-2007 05:55 AM

Sigh....It just seems that there isn't enough people that care in the right places here in Nashville.

SmokeyClause 10-02-2007 06:25 AM

Definitely a sickening article. It's as if the city is trying to call the Pred's, and potential new ownership's, bluff on this. From those I talked to, Metro giving in on this deal would still put the City in a better position than if the Preds left.

Nashville acts like a big city at times but definitely carries with it a small town mindset. The big picture, long-term thinking is often shelved to placate to myopic, meandering agendas.

SmokeyClause 10-02-2007 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 10608911)
Sigh....It just seems that there isn't enough people that care in the right places here in Nashville.

It's unfortunate that the overwhelming majority of the Preds fanbase is between the ages of 15 and 35. That's great in terms of the future, but those individuals aren't yet in a significant position of power within the city.

In 10 years, the Preds would likely have well-placed supporters within the governmental fraternity. And it's likely that support would grow from there. But it appears now that the Preds will never have the chance to root itself in Nashville.

RaiderDoug 10-02-2007 06:39 AM

Stop this rollercoaster, I want to get off.

The only thing I can control here is the amount of tickets I buy, so that's what I'm going to do, buy as many as a possibly can.

The saddest thing is that I feel that even with the modest amount of marketing this season, we could have easily reached 14k. But its as if the front office has already checked out.

PredsMan 10-02-2007 07:00 AM

I'm just about done with all of this. I can't go through all this crap again.

jstreet 10-02-2007 08:10 AM

I dont know what to say... :(

Stranger 10-02-2007 09:10 AM

This local group has turned out to be a bunch of idiots. Reworking a lease with a new mayor coming in with a strict time frame is beyond moronic.

The stage is all set. Boots will now buy the team for less then $220 million and he gained that by acting like he would help the local group. Leipold has laid the framework for the move. Team gutted. No marketing or sales attempts. Increased season ticket and individual ticket prices. Cure-clause enacted. Since Leipold made those decisions, Boots will not look like a bad guy. He'll take control of the franchise after attendance is at an all time low, with no marketing, no sales staff, high ticket prices and a gutted team.

Couldn't have worked out any better for Boots eh?

And at last, the NHL will be saved from ultimate failure with Nashville out of the league. Fans will start coming back in drones all across the league. Every building will sell out because of one less southern team.

golfmade 10-02-2007 09:18 AM

**** this ****.

David_99 10-02-2007 09:55 AM

So you're saying, chances are, they will be bought by Boots, move to KC. A city with an arena and 10 less years of fan base growth, so next decade we'll go through the same thing while Nashville becomes the next Winnipeg, Hartford and Quebec with an empty arena and awesome fanbase screaming for a team but no owner. Rediculous.

Before Balsillie, didn't the current owner say he was willing to take on parteners but the support wasn't there? Well the word is out and the support is there now, not enough for a full team, but can't they team up and each own 50/50?

pred33fan 10-02-2007 10:01 AM

I'm about ready to surrender. I can do no more. :surrender

brah 10-02-2007 10:06 AM

why can't i be a billionaire?

Stranger 10-02-2007 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David_99 (Post 10610257)
Before Balsillie, didn't the current owner say he was willing to take on parteners but the support wasn't there? Well the word is out and the support is there now, not enough for a full team, but can't they team up and each own 50/50?

Yes he did. First of all, I wouldn't trust Craig Leipold. I highly doubt that he would even have done the partnership with local owners in the first place. However, the local group stepped up too late. But again, Leipold said he only cared about keeping the team here and having local owners involved, yet he now wants to sell the team outright.

braindead 10-02-2007 10:37 AM

No worries people. I firmly believe that this is just a set-up to help the new mayor. If he immediately gives in to what the new group wants, then he looks like a pushover and spends political capital to make it happen. This way, he shows that he rebuffed them, backed them into having to give up the deal and then gave them the minimum lease changes needed to keep the lights on at the arena.... for the good of the taxpayers. Expect a "counter offer" from the city that the group "reluctantly" agrees to (or something very close to it). I suspect the whole dance has been staged fairly carefully.

Dr. Fire 10-02-2007 10:49 AM

Hang in there Preds fans. All is not lost, yet. Pittsburgh fans were resigned to losing the Pens, but things turned around for them. I think the same will happen for you. Don' get to worried yet at what politicians are doing. As stated they will posture and do this and that to look good, but in the end common ground will be found. Just do your part, and turn out at the games to show them that the fans do care.

Dave is a killer 10-02-2007 11:35 AM

Hang me now

jstreet 10-02-2007 11:45 AM

mayor@nashville.gov

Dave is a killer 10-02-2007 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnlikestars (Post 10611489)

more like http://www.nashville.gov/council/feedback.html

xEx 10-02-2007 12:16 PM

Paul Mcann

Paul Mcann was on Hockey Central on the Fan 590 in Toronto.

He basically said that this is just round 5 of a 12 round fight.

He also said that the outgoing administration should of taken care of this business prior to the election.

Hopefully this is just some public negotiating going on, in hopes of getting things done sooner rather than waiting till the October 31st deadline.

lyrrad 10-02-2007 12:33 PM

I feel terrible for you Nashville fans. Hopefully something gets done!

Paranoid Android 10-02-2007 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braindead (Post 10610655)
No worries people. I firmly believe that this is just a set-up to help the new mayor. If he immediately gives in to what the new group wants, then he looks like a pushover and spends political capital to make it happen. This way, he shows that he rebuffed them, backed them into having to give up the deal and then gave them the minimum lease changes needed to keep the lights on at the arena.... for the good of the taxpayers. Expect a "counter offer" from the city that the group "reluctantly" agrees to (or something very close to it). I suspect the whole dance has been staged fairly carefully.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Fire (Post 10610782)
Hang in there Preds fans. All is not lost, yet. Pittsburgh fans were resigned to losing the Pens, but things turned around for them. I think the same will happen for you. Don' get to worried yet at what politicians are doing. As stated they will posture and do this and that to look good, but in the end common ground will be found. Just do your part, and turn out at the games to show them that the fans do care.

This is pretty much how I feel. No, I'm not just being ignorantly optimistic, but this makes a lot more sense than "well metro said no so now its over." Freeman is playing hardball.

Bad Karma 10-02-2007 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xEx (Post 10611887)
Paul Mcann was on Hockey Central on the Fan 590 in Toronto.

He basically said that this is just round 5 of a 12 round fight.

He also said that the outgoing administration should of taken care of this business prior to the election.

Hopefully this is just some public negotiating going on, in hopes of getting things done sooner rather than waiting till the October 31st deadline.

If McCann knew what he was talking about, he'd know that that was not an option, the outgoing admin. wouldn't get tangled up in something they couldn't finish. Purcell was no friend to sports entities.

grego 10-02-2007 02:53 PM

I feel bad for Preds fans that they have to go through this. I know back when the Oilers were possibly going to move from Edmonton with the old CBA and low C$ dollar it was hard to imagine the team leaving.

Hopefully they can work something out to get the team to a break even point and so it can stay in the city. if it keeps losing there is no way the city can really force the team to stay there. All an owner has to do to break the lease is put ticket prices up really high.

Sell 10 to 12 k at normal prices and jack them up after that to make sure it won't reach the target point.

I hope for your sake something works out here. But at the same time I do blame the NHL for how they handled expansion and left it all up to teams to develop the market. They should have had some kind of trial with an AHL team or something like that for a few years and a far lower budget to start a fan base, then after a bit when hockey is starting to be a little known allowed an NHL team in there.

predperson 10-02-2007 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braindead (Post 10610655)

That sounds plausible...the whole political system is a "game".