HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   cage (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=425494)

BigBearnier 10-02-2007 12:08 PM

cage

i've been using a visor, and now I need to get a cage for the league i just joined.

I had switched from a cage to a visor to begin with because of problems with visability. Anyway, I've heard that those "ghost wire" cages are pretty good.. Does anyone have that, and are they better than a solid color cages?

Also, does a chrome cage make a difference?

thnx

Ducks 10-02-2007 01:07 PM

I hear the ghost wires are pretty good. If you need full facial protection but prefer a visor you should see if the league will let you use an Itech Concept II, or one of those combo cages with a cage bottom and visor top.

I have a concept II and I like it just fine.

Nosebleed Section 10-02-2007 05:33 PM

Yeah you can get full masks that are made of the same plastic stuff that visors are made out of. Im not sure what the ghost wire cage is. I've heard white cages give better visibility and Itech has a cage thats white inside black outside (black purely aesthtic I think). As far as chrome cages I think its all style there.

BigBearnier 10-02-2007 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Mojorisin (Post 10615678)
Yeah you can get full masks that are made of the same plastic stuff that visors are made out of. Im not sure what the ghost wire cage is. I've heard white cages give better visibility and Itech has a cage thats white inside black outside (black purely aesthtic I think). As far as chrome cages I think its all style there.

thats the ghost wire cage...

and the league doesn't allow the full visor.. gotta have a cage.

Ducks 10-02-2007 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theCookieMonster (Post 10616094)
thats the ghost wire cage...

and the league doesn't allow the full visor.. gotta have a cage.

then go with the white inside black outside one, that's the cage I see used the most where I play. The black outside is to help reduce glare while the white inside is to blend in with the ice.

Phoenix 10-02-2007 08:16 PM

I like the chrome cage for look, but was gonna get the white cage because I thought it would blend in with the surroundings. Then someone said no the black cage wound tend to fade away into the background because its darker. And also the the white/chrome would reflect light.

Then someone else said it just depended on what you were used to.

I got black but I don't think it matters either way.

sharkticon 10-02-2007 08:59 PM

I started playing with a black cage and had problems with the black lines being too close to my face and also the puck tended to get lost with the black lines of the cage.

So instead of buying anything else, I just spray painted the inside of my cage white. Blends in with the ice; I don't even notice anymore.

Problem solved.

On another note, my goalie mask (i play all positions... just like your mom :D jk) is chrome and I don't have the issue i did with the black cage.

I tried a Itech half cage/half visor thing. Fogged up too much and was too hot (i tend to be warmer in general).

sc37 10-02-2007 09:37 PM

I nvr quite understood the whole fogging thing....I hardly ever fog up, and visibility probs in cages is overrated. But from what everyone says, it's not the chrome or the Itech I2 that works best, it's the gunmetal colored cages that NBH makes. But I'm also interested in the Fantom cage Itech has come out with cause the wires are supposedly better placed.

sharkticon 10-02-2007 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc37 (Post 10618318)
I nvr quite understood the whole fogging thing....I hardly ever fog up,

Some people generate more heat than others. Also breathing patterns (through nose vs. mouth) would cause them to fog easier than others. Simple as that.

Quote:

...and visibility probs in cages is overrated.

For you maybe...

Quote:

But from what everyone says, it's not the chrome or the Itech I2 that works best, it's the gunmetal colored cages that NBH makes.

Everyone says this? First time I have heard it...

Different strokes for different folks, man. what works for you or "everyone" will not truly work for "everyone".

sc37 10-02-2007 09:52 PM

I generally don't see anyone around with fogging issues around here cept in the locker room, plus there are easy solutions for it like shampoo.

And no to #2...your eyes adapt, you might not like it right away but your eyes will adapt just like they do if you wear a patch over one, or the lighting changes.

And #3, it's not literally everyone, but a big majority say gunmetal. It goes along with the comments on chrome, but gunmetal is a tad better cause no glare.

Ducks 10-02-2007 11:01 PM

I just rub hand soap into my shield before I play and I don't fog up at all.

sharkticon 10-03-2007 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc37 (Post 10618464)
I generally don't see anyone around with fogging issues around here cept in the locker room, plus there are easy solutions for it like shampoo.

I've heard that and i know people do the same for diving masks and snowboarding/skiing goggles. I would rather just not deal with it at all.

Quote:

And no to #2...your eyes adapt, you might not like it right away but your eyes will adapt just like they do if you wear a patch over one, or the lighting changes.

Well sure they would, but why even bother if its so simple to just paint it white? And if eye adjustment is so simple, why even bother with the shields in the first place?

Quote:

And #3, it's not literally everyone, but a big majority say gunmetal. It goes along with the comments on chrome, but gunmetal is a tad better cause no glare.

I haven't noticed any glare with my chrome goalie mask, but to be fair, the cage is set up different from a forward cage.

Just wondering, what do you use?

sc37 10-03-2007 05:55 PM

White still isn't gonna match up exactly the same as the colors in the background so there's a need for some adjustment....idk why some choose shields and some don't but taking a look at the percentage of ppl with a cage, it wouldn't seem like adjusting is a big deal.

I settled on an Itech 920 combo...I got this cheap and I find that it keeps water and slush off my glasses a bit better. Easier to wipe off the outside of the shield than to take off my helmet and polish my glasses. But it's getting scratched up a bit and probably gonna drop some money on a NBH 8500 cage soon since I'd take the simple maintenance and cost effectiveness over the ease of wiping.

Senor Rational 10-03-2007 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soapninja (Post 10619134)
I just rub hand soap into my shield before I play and I don't fog up at all.

What kind of soap? Any specific methods to do this or is it just smear it in and rinse it off?

Any drying tips?

Thank you, switched to an Itech visor and accidently threw away the maintence sheet

sc37 10-03-2007 11:32 PM

Take any sorta soap, shampoo, and just rub it on. Don't rinse, rather let it dry a bit and buff it off. It's kinda like waxing a car or applying RainX to your car. Same idea...keeps the moisture off to help with fogging.

Ducks 10-04-2007 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc37 (Post 10634602)
Take any sorta soap, shampoo, and just rub it on. Don't rinse, rather let it dry a bit and buff it off. It's kinda like waxing a car or applying RainX to your car. Same idea...keeps the moisture off to help with fogging.

exactly. It works great, except for if you happen to sweat on it, you'll get streaks since the soap will get a little wet. However it's a pretty minor problem. and it completely prevents fogging where you rub the soap.