HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Washington Capitals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   How long will Flash last as the first line RWer? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=425701)

usiel 10-02-2007 09:10 PM

How long will Flash last as the first line RWer?

Figured this would be an entertaing Poll, heh.

Marshall 10-02-2007 09:13 PM

20 games, but I'd love to have Flash prove me wrong and can, say, 30.

usiel 10-02-2007 09:20 PM

Yeah I'm along the lines of 20 games but of course would love to have Flash really come into his own.

Backstrom #19 10-02-2007 09:28 PM

Flash is going all the way.

Chimaera 10-02-2007 09:34 PM

I say he gets hurt before he gets demoted.

malyk 10-02-2007 10:03 PM

I think he'll stick as long as he isn't playing horribly. He doesn't even need to be putting up a ton of points. He's the best option there, especially if clark and third line is rockin.

The Viking Fury 10-02-2007 10:13 PM

20 games before he hits a wall or is traded or something. Somethings gotta give once Eminger comes off the IR, and Green and Schultz probably won't be goners. This will be especially true if Flash is struggling early after taking a beating against top defenders and grind lines.

But obviously I'd love to see him stay, last the whole season and pot a lot of goals.

pga5 10-02-2007 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Viking Fury (Post 10618022)
20 games before he hits a wall or is traded or something. Somethings gotta give once Eminger comes off the IR, and Green and Schultz probably won't be goners. This will be especially true if Flash is struggling early after taking a beating against top defenders and grind lines.

But obviously I'd love to see him stay, last the whole season and pot a lot of goals.

If either of Schultz or Green falter, Eminger's back off the IR, and they are down at Hershey. Flash, on the other hand isn't reliable enough defensively to stick. Done in 20 games or less, although I hope I am wrong.
I'd like to see Fehr get over this back/hip thing, and come back strong.

strungout 10-02-2007 10:41 PM

16 goals 45 assists

40 + games.

Cush 10-02-2007 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 (Post 10617531)
Flash is going all the way.

Go, Flash, Go! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNUcpXKiNZo

As for the poll, I think they'll give him a long look unless the team gets off to a slow start. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets moved around during the course of a game.

RandyHolt 10-02-2007 11:41 PM

He bulked up AND gets to play with Ovechkin. 40+. His biggest threat is oddly his center.

Atlas 10-03-2007 12:02 AM

Let's reason this out.

Flash has tons of skill. It's safe to say he has the skills to make it as an NHL 2nd liner at the very least. Does he skate well enough? Does he have the strength? Does he have the work ethic? Those are the big question marks.

The guy has worked hard ever since he's been in the Caps organization. He has been scratching at the NHL for the last two years. That tenacity is what it takes for a
2nd round pick to make the NHL.

So, worst case, Flash makes it as a 2nd line winger. If he plays with AO, Flash will have to rely on the center (V Koz, Nyls, or Backstrom) to play well. If AO's center sucks then Flash will have too many responsibilities; and he'll look bad out there. If he gets some space on the ice to create chances - and if he plays defense reasonably well - there is every reason to expect a 25 goal, 30 assist year out of the kid.

Go get em' Flash!

RandyHolt 10-03-2007 12:09 AM

Galt you may be onto something there. Hanlon will be screaming from the bench for Flash to get back some and play defense. I dont envision Kozlov being the strongest of defensive centers - he will be caught deep yelling in Russian PASS. That leaves Flash to cover up high somewhat - doing what he doesnt do... play defense.

Devil Dancer 10-03-2007 12:44 AM

Heh, this is an excellent question and I'm answering without reading any other responses. I said 20 games. Flash has shown flashes (sorry), but ultimately he has failed at the NHL level despite some decent opportunities.

I'm not saying he will NEVER work out as a top 6 prospect, I'm just not convinced that he will succeed at the start of the 07-08 season.

The Viking Fury 10-03-2007 12:56 AM

Tarik isn't drinking the Flash koolaid in his season preview. Says the caps are a first line RW and vet defenseman away from contending.

Atlas 10-03-2007 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyHolt (Post 10619208)
Galt you may be onto something there. Hanlon will be screaming from the bench for Flash to get back some and play defense. I dont envision Kozlov being the strongest of defensive centers - he will be caught deep yelling in Russian PASS. That leaves Flash to cover up high somewhat - doing what he doesnt do... play defense.

Hehe. Yeah, the good news is that Flash is a lot more creative than Chris Clark - but Flash doesn't play D like Chris Clark and he shouldn't be expected to. In fact, if the 1st line ends up being AO, V Koz, and Flash then the only guy playing defense will be Olie. :sarcasm:

Jasper17 10-03-2007 08:21 AM

Wasn't Kris Beech our 2nd line center for more than 40 games last year? If he can make it that long, can't imagine why Flash can't.

I expect him to get his 40+ games, will he get the job done? That is another question.

Cappy76 10-03-2007 10:06 AM

I give him till the trade deadline.....unless him AO and VK show great chemistry hes gone plus Eminger for a true 1RW for our playoff run by then

Langway 10-03-2007 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japser17 (Post 10620900)
Wasn't Kris Beech our 2nd line center for more than 40 games last year? If he can make it that long, can't imagine why Flash can't.

I expect him to get his 40+ games, will he get the job done? That is another question.

Beech only lasted around ten games until the (ugh) Klepis experiment took hold. Beech ended up playing somewhere around 40 games on the second line over the course of the entire year but he also went through stretches were he was on the fourth line or a healthy scratch. Obviously, expectations are different this year and there is a proven commodity in Clark that can take Flash's spot if he's not earning his place in the lineup.

The obstacle for Flash to remain on the top line 40 games into the season isn't just what Flash is doing himself over that stretch. It's possible that the Caps move Kozlov over to RW on Ovechkin's line after feeling comfortable enough to move Nylander up to center the first line and give Backstrom the second-line center spot. Plus, a lot will depend on the overall success of the team and the chemistry created on the top two lines. Even if Flash is playing pretty decent, Hanlon might be forced to shake up the lines and go with a different combination.

Odds are against him staying on the top line all season (or even until mid-season) but I'm pulling for him to make it. I think he's capable of putting up points on the top line but I'm less convinced that his play away from the puck at both ends of the ice and his strength are sufficient enough for him to take a firm hold of that spot. If Fleischmann does struggle at some point--which is probably inevitable--it'll be interesting to see how long of a leash Hanlon gives him and how patient he is with him. Given past experience, I tend to think Hanlon will put Clark back up on the top line pretty quickly if Fleischmann stumbles out of the gate. (Zednik lasted, what, one game on the top line to begin last season?)

The only way I see Hanlon being patient with Fleischmann is if the team is winning and he can afford to do so.

sk84fun_dc 10-03-2007 01:35 PM

The answer to that poll question specific to Fleischmann and the first line RW is dependent on the answers to the questions: 1) How long will Kozlov last as the first line center? and 2) How the second line plays to start the season? It is not just dependent on Fleischmann's performance.

There is also the longer-term question about what happens with Fehr, but that is not an issue at the moment with Fehr sidelined.

As Strung noted in the other thread, Fleischmann has plenty of motivation starting on the first line with the two-way, one year contract and the fact he will be RFA with arb rights next summer.

40+ games in a Caps jersey in the top 6, more assists than goals. Will those 40+ games be as the first line RW, doubt it, given the current 2 line combos.