HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   OT: Peca put on IR before playing game #1 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=425800)

I Am Chariot 10-02-2007 11:48 PM

OT: Peca put on IR before playing game #1

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=219775&hubname=nhl

Good move Sather......

I Am Chariot 10-02-2007 11:48 PM

I was kinda into Peca as 3rd line C too. Good thing I'm not the GM

ArtieAnisimov 10-03-2007 12:02 AM

Thats why they had the physical before they even decide whether to sign him, after the physical everything stopped so I think Sather knew he wasn't worth it.

Inferno 10-03-2007 12:08 AM

im man enough to admit it, i was a HUGE supporter of bringing in Peca, and i woulda been wrong, at least to start the year.

either way, i didnt expect dubinsky to play this well in the preseason, so that was a pleasant surprise.

MidnightRanger 10-03-2007 01:26 AM

Inferno you get owned. You must bow down and apologize to the legions of Ranger fans that you argued with over Peca. Bow.

I shall bring you the salt later.

Inferno 10-03-2007 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Majoritystorm (Post 10620070)
Inferno you get owned. You must bow down and apologize to the legions of Ranger fans that you argued with over Peca. Bow.

I shall bring you the salt later.

i will be holding a live press conference tomorrow at 2:00 pm streamed on my website. be sure to check it out, and let me know if my groveling is adequate. ;)

Brooklyn Ranger 10-03-2007 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycleandshoot (Post 10619499)

Oh yeah, I can hear it now--Sather: let's not sign this guy cause he's going to hurt his groin during training camp. Wow, Sather must really be haunting the psychic to have known that was going to happen. Too bad he didn't stick around and hear about Avery's little problem.

pld459666 10-03-2007 05:04 AM

I thought that Peca in this line-up this year would have solidified the team, and that still may be the case, if he ever actually suited up.

Good Job to Sather for not signing this guy.

Ola 10-03-2007 05:23 AM

Man, Foote, Peca and Modin all to miss the season opener for CBJ after getting BS injurys like hamstring/groin problems after 3 weeks of TC. You don't get thoose types of injurys if you are well prepaired.

3 vets who are supposed to have great attitude, who are counted on to lead a very young team.

You gotta be extremely careful when it comes to bringing vets in. You can't really trust anyone.

Son of Steinbrenner 10-03-2007 07:32 AM

bu...bu...but the rangers can't have dubinsky on the roster...don't u know youth can't be on a contender...bu bu but peca is a shutdown center...

HockeyBasedNYC 10-03-2007 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner (Post 10620941)
bu...bu...but the rangers can't have dubinsky on the roster...don't u know youth can't be on a contender...bu bu but peca is a shutdown center...

:biglaugh:

I was waiting for this.

Fletch 10-03-2007 08:27 AM

Peca still may play in the opener...

it's a strained groin - wouldn't call it a problem just yet, just as I wouldn't say Jagr's hip is an issue.

Melrose_Jr. 10-03-2007 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBlue (Post 10619579)
Thats why they had the physical before they even decide whether to sign him, after the physical everything stopped so I think Sather knew he wasn't worth it.

I wonder if the Rangers were just concerned about his conditioning level even if his repaired injuries looked ok.

I will say, anyone deciding to sign Peca can't assume they're getting an 82 game ironman. At this stage of his career, he's a guy who augments a roster, not rounds it out. If having Peca sit out your opener is a huge loss for a team, that team is in for one hell of a grind this year.

Son of Steinbrenner 10-03-2007 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger (Post 10620152)
Oh yeah, I can hear it now--Sather: let's not sign this guy cause he's going to hurt his groin during training camp. Wow, Sather must really be haunting the psychic to have known that was going to happen. Too bad he didn't stick around and hear about Avery's little problem.

yeah...it's not like he had a physical or anything...

JR#9* 10-03-2007 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. (Post 10621319)
I wonder if the Rangers were just concerned about his conditioning level even if his repaired injuries looked ok.

I will say, anyone deciding to sign Peca can't assume they're getting an 82 game ironman. At this stage of his career, he's a guy who augments a roster, not rounds it out. If having Peca sit out your opener is a huge loss for a team, that team is in for one hell of a grind this year.

exactly MJ, for 1.1 and the bonuses based on games played and the fact that even the pro-Peca crowd outright stated that the guy would miss time and not play 82 games shows that the expecations were in order.

I hope like hell that Dubi plays unreal this year and is the 3rd line center we need but it still doesn't change my mind that down the stretch and into the playoff run that Mike Peca will be an asset on a team like that in a 3rd line spot.

But I'm sure we'll see this debate continue at points throughout the yr but even though I was a big bring Peca in guy I hope like hell that Dubi siezes his opportunity and runs with it bigtime.

In The Flesh 10-03-2007 08:57 AM

Peca on this team would have been a wreck. Lets got back to 2001

Son of Steinbrenner 10-03-2007 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. (Post 10621319)

A team that is up against the cap AND had kids that can step in (which is EXACTLY what is happening) doesn't have a need for Peca...

The Rangers of the past would hand a veteren a spot and not expect him to play 82 games..thankfully the team learned from past mistakes.....certain fans have not though..which was clear in late August and it's clear by who i'm quoting...

Melrose_Jr. 10-03-2007 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner (Post 10621864)
A team that is up against the cap AND had kids that can step in (which is EXACTLY what is happening) doesn't have a need for Peca...

I remain indifferent to Peca. Obviously, I'd rather have Dubinsky or Anisimov in that spot, and obviously, there are monitary concerns at play. That said, the team has yet to play a single game, never mind become entrenched in heated battle for the playoffs, division or Stanley Cup. We won't know how the choice made for 3rd line center pans out until the games have been played.

NYRJurgen88 10-03-2007 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inferno272 (Post 10619607)
im man enough to admit it, i was a HUGE supporter of bringing in Peca, and i woulda been wrong, at least to start the year.

either way, i didnt expect dubinsky to play this well in the preseason, so that was a pleasant surprise.

im in the same boat as you inferno... i wanted Peca for the short term... good decision by Sather...

Hope Dubi can carry form on into regulare season...

Son of Steinbrenner 10-03-2007 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. (Post 10622037)
I remain indifferent to Peca. Obviously, I'd rather have Dubinsky or Anisimov in that spot, and obviously, there are monitary concerns at play. That said, the team has yet to play a single game, never mind become entrenched in heated battle for the playoffs, division or Stanley Cup. We won't know how the choice made for 3rd line center pans out until the games have been played.

Even if Dubinsky doesn't work out the Rangers have other options

Dawes as lw with Avery and Callahan

Anisimov as center with Prucha and Callahan

Straka at center

Avery at center

not to mention Callahan was tried at center during camp...

the team also has a shutdown center here in drury....

HockeyBasedNYC 10-03-2007 10:21 AM

This thread is quickly approaching 1000 posts...

;)

tjs252 10-03-2007 10:51 AM

Good job Slats. :)

RangerBoy 10-03-2007 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 10621309)
it's a strained groin - wouldn't call it a problem just yet, just as I wouldn't say Jagr's hip is an issue.

Peca missed nearly the entire pre-season.He got hurt on the 3rd day of camp.He didn't play in a single pre-season game.In fact,Peca hasn't played a game in 10 months