HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rangers' first unit Scott-free... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=425899)

Fletch 10-03-2007 08:41 AM

Rangers' first unit Scott-free...

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10032007...trangely_s.htm

Brooks laments Gomez not being on the first PP unit. This is something that may become an issue if not managed properly. There just isn't enough PP ice time to go around for everyone. My biggest thing is to keep the look the Rangers had last season. Look at Gomez - 23 assists last season on the PP. Look at Nylander - 23 assists on the PP last season. Look at Drury - 10 assists on the PP last season, but 17 goals. I dunno.

I do like two PP looks, but so long as the five best players at those positions are on the first PP. I don't believe in spreading the wealth. It's like having a machine that does many things well but nothing great. The first PP unit will get the majority of the ice time and needs to be the best cohesive unit with the best player at each positions starting with Jagr on the right. If that means Gomez in the middle being better than Drury, so be it. And if Gomez is in the middle and Drury's better than Prucha on the left, then so be it (unless Drury is better on the left point than Straka). There's many ways to spin it, but it's needs to be the best unit it can be.

BigE 10-03-2007 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 10621431)
http://www.nypost.com/seven/10032007...trangely_s.htm

Brooks laments Gomez not being on the first PP unit. This is something that may become an issue if not managed properly. There just isn't enough PP ice time to go around for everyone. My biggest thing is to keep the look the Rangers had last season. Look at Gomez - 23 assists last season on the PP. Look at Nylander - 23 assists on the PP last season. Look at Drury - 10 assists on the PP last season, but 17 goals. I dunno.

I do like two PP looks, but so long as the five best players at those positions are on the first PP. I don't believe in spreading the wealth. It's like having a machine that does many things well but nothing great. The first PP unit will get the majority of the ice time and needs to be the best cohesive unit with the best player at each positions starting with Jagr on the right. If that means Gomez in the middle being better than Drury, so be it. And if Gomez is in the middle and Drury's better than Prucha on the left, then so be it (unless Drury is better on the left point than Straka). There's many ways to spin it, but it's needs to be the best unit it can be.

I believe this as well. Even with the two unit experiment last season the team was hard pressed to get Jagr off the ice unless there was a whistle somewhere around the 50 second mark. Otherwise it was usually 1:30 or 1:45 before he was off and that left the shooting line little time to establish much of anything.

In a way I'm not THAT surprised that Renney is trying this to start the season. The two unit experiment did work last season (however short it may have been) and he's looking to find chemistry. Often times that fact is over looked on a line: I don't agree with the sentiment that you have to throw your best 5 guys out there at the start of the powerplay. You throw the best 5 guys that are able to communicate and play well together. Judging by the pre-season that doesn't seem to mean that Gomez and Jagr are a fit.

Let's not forget, either, that Gomez and Shanny practiced together all summer (plus Avery for the latter part).

Bird Law 10-03-2007 08:53 AM

I would have 5 forwards out there, frankly. Drury would be good enough on the defensive end but much better on the offensive end.

Fireonk 10-03-2007 08:58 AM

Im a big fan of the 2 seperate power plays. We can run each unit through our best playmakers with the puck (Jagr and Gomez). The only thing that worries me about this is making sure Jagr actually gets off the ice when his shift is up.

MadHookUp 10-03-2007 09:03 AM

I would like to see Jagr, Drury, Shanny as a PP unit. I think with Jagr having 2 right handed players to pass to, it will force opposing teams to give him more room.

Then you could pair Gomez with Prucha on the 2nd unit.

Sad London Ranger 10-03-2007 09:03 AM

agree - you gotta have creative force on 2nd pp. from start I was sceptical that Gomez and Jagr would man the same line.

drury will serve jagr in the most unselfish way and the Rangers will be the better team for it.:handclap:

Sad London Ranger 10-03-2007 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadHookUp (Post 10621651)
I would like to see Jagr, Drury, Shanny as a PP unit. I think with Jagr having 2 right handed players to pass to, it will force opposing teams to give him more room.

Then you could pair Gomez with Prucha on the 2nd unit.

Prucha could supercede Avery and Hossa if he proves that his sharpshooting rookie days are back. He could move up quickly.

FutureGM97 10-03-2007 09:06 AM

first unit should be this:

Jagr-Gomez-Prucha-Straka-Rozsival

2nd- Shanny-Drury-Avery-Callahan-Mara

i just listed the guys...not necessarily in their position

Melrose_Jr. 10-03-2007 09:06 AM

What's even the point of making this the focus of an article? Jagr is the PP and it's not going to change as long as he's here. It wouldn't matter if you had Souray and Gonchar on the blueline of your 1st unit, the points will always be instructed to get the puck down low to Jagr in lieu of ripping the shot.

UAGoalieGuy 10-03-2007 09:13 AM

I would like to see Staal get a look on the 2nd PP unit. He's got a hammer of a shot.

squishy 10-03-2007 09:23 AM

Is Brooks ever happy? Maybe it'd be best to wait and see how this works before criticizing Renney for his decision (which Renney himself freely admits may change)?

I Am Chariot 10-03-2007 09:24 AM

Havent even played game 1.

Time will work all this out.

Shanny Jagr Prucha

Drury Gomez

looks devastating.......on paper

94now 10-03-2007 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. (Post 10621680)
What's even the point of making this the focus of an article? Jagr is the PP and it's not going to change as long as he's here. It wouldn't matter if you had Souray and Gonchar on the blueline of your 1st unit, the points will always be instructed to get the puck down low to Jagr in lieu of ripping the shot.

Correct. Also, PP needs clutch players (Drury) not speedy ones (Gomez, Cullen).

NYROrtsFan 10-03-2007 09:32 AM

The best unit on paper is almost NEVER the best unit on the ice... I have no problem with this. There are other combinations that may look better on paper, but it never translates. Just keep going with different mixes until something really seems to work.

Sad London Ranger 10-03-2007 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squishy (Post 10621832)
Is Brooks ever happy? Maybe it'd be best to wait and see how this works before criticizing Renney for his decision (which Renney himself freely admits may change)?

would tend to agree but I haven't seen the PP in preseason

Bird Law 10-03-2007 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by london ranger (Post 10621670)
Prucha could supercede Avery and Hossa if he proves that his sharpshooting rookie days are back. He could move up quickly.

Why the hell should Prucha have to prove something to get the nod over Hossa who has never, ever in his career proven to be a better offensive player than Prucha? That's some faulty logic.

klingsor 10-03-2007 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squishy (Post 10621832)

+1

I'm a big fan of watching some games before making judgments.

nyr2k2 10-03-2007 09:49 AM

Quote:

Spot-on assessment Melrose.

NYRJurgen88 10-03-2007 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycleandshoot (Post 10621837)
Havent even played game 1.

Time will work all this out.

Shanny Jagr Prucha

Drury Gomez

looks devastating.......on paper

in knows its a PP unit, but NO D men on your unit???

do you realise the amount of likely Shot handed opportunities/goals that'd cause?!?!

JR#9* 10-03-2007 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FutureGM97 (Post 10621679)
first unit should be this:

Jagr-Gomez-Prucha-Straka-Rozsival

2nd- Shanny-Drury-Avery-Callahan-Mara

i just listed the guys...not necessarily in their position

the problem with that is you can be mixing and matching guys from different even strenght units on the PP b/c it scews up multiple lines after the PP expires and throws everything out of sync.

I agree with John who earlier suggested having 5 forwards because if you slide Drury back to one point who actually will unleash from the point that allows Gomez to get primo PP time with Jagr and allows Straka on the other point and having Drury-Straka back doesn't concern me all that much as far as giving up anything against.

The Thomas J.* 10-03-2007 10:14 AM

Im still worred that we are going to see the same pass.....pass.....pass.....pass........pass again over & over Until it gets cleared out of the zone, I don't care how many units there are, if neither one of them are shooting we aint gonna score.

Fletch 10-03-2007 10:19 AM

the PP also needs guys who can bring-up the puck. Much like Nylander did a bit last season, Gomez could do this season. Drury's a sniper on the PP. He's a darn good one. He'd be better than both Prucha and Shanny on the left wing of the PP, I believe (this is coming from a guy who's pushing for Prucha to be on the left). Perhaps he is capable of playing the point too - and if so, perhaps he should be there instead of Straka.

We'll see. My whole mantra the last few seasons is to put guys in roles in which they were previously successful. I see Gomez with 23 PP assists, and I see Nylander with 23 PP assists and I see Drury with 10 PP assists. So when I think of who replaces Nylander at center, I tend to go with Gomez, who would perform in a similar role as Nylander. And with the way Jagr runs a PP, you're going to have, or want to have, as much similarity as past PPs. The hope is that the second unit is better than last season's second unit; and that they get out there enough to make a difference.

Tomas Sandstrom 28 10-03-2007 10:20 AM

Quote:

Hitting the nail on the head...

This is just Brooks writing something for the sake of publishing an article.

Gomez playing on the 2nd unit and Straka playing the point is a complete non-issue. At least at this point of the season anyway;)

Ola 10-03-2007 10:34 AM

Quote:

The head coach is right about last season, but only to a point. The Rangers were most formidable on the power play after the February acquisition of Avery prompted Renney to split Jagr and Shanahan and thus form two units, but that approach was short-circuited by the concussion suffered by Shanahan only a few games into the reorganization.
I actually don't think this is true. I know for sure that we dropped in the overall PP ranking since we got Avery. We where 5th overall before we got him, and ended 8th or something.

The critizisim of our PP stopped when we got Avery and we started to shoot more, but the PP on the ice got worse, I think.

Quote:

I agree 110%.

Ive never liked it when a PP is run and centered by a Jagr/Bure type of player. Its not effective at all when the player running it also is supposed to finnish it.

At the same time, when you got a Jagr, Bure type, you don't often got the guys good enough to do a better job.

We would if we put Gomez, Drury and JJ on the same line, but that would, after that line beeing on the ice for 1:30 every PP, keeping our top 2 lines off the ice for 2-3 minuts after every PP, which also isn't a good situation.

In the end, the results matter, not how its done.

Ola 10-03-2007 10:51 AM

The Avs had Forsberg, Sakic and Ozolinsh out on their PP, maybe the best I've seen following hockey, for almost 1:45 of every PP. But then rotated up to 6 players for the 2 other spots.

Like they started with Deadmarsh-Forsberg-Hejduk-Ozolinsh-Sakic, then after 30-40 sec shifted Deadmarsh and Hejduk for Tanguay and somebody else and so on.

Maybe in the end we could get something like that gooing; especially if Drury ends up on the point.

Like:
Prucha-Gomez-Jagr
Drury-Rozsival

for the first 45, then;
Shanahan-Gomez-Jagr
Drury-Tyutin

for the next 45, then like;
Shanahan-Dubinsky-Callahan
Tyutin-Girardi

for the last 30.