HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Vezina, Calder, and Norris for Habs? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=42670)

chicpea* 01-10-2004 10:39 AM

Vezina, Calder, and Norris for Habs?

Well, if Theo keeps it up, I don't see why this isn't a possibility. IMO, Theo is the weakest link in this, but he's got an outside chance when the Habs make it to the post-season.
What do you guys think?

p.s. While we're handing out trophies, why not Julien for Jack Adams?

Dutchy 01-10-2004 10:40 AM

I think people need to calm down a little...

Playr050 01-10-2004 10:50 AM

I think Jack Adams is more likely than the Vezina and Norris.

Masao 01-10-2004 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchy

Seriously, lol...

chicpea* 01-10-2004 10:53 AM

well, as it is now, I'd have to say Julien is behind Hartley, Sutter, and Quinn. Still, when we make the playoffs, he'd have to be considered.

Dutchy 01-10-2004 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playr050
think Jack Adams is more likely than the Vezina and Norris.

Frankly, I'd give the Jack Adams to Hartley.

didjuicythat 01-10-2004 10:54 AM

Quote:

I second that. We Habs fans don't need much to talk about trophies and Stanleys Cups. With that being said, you just can't ignore Souray is having an incredible season and he's going to the All-Star that's for sure. Same for Theo, and perhaps Ribeiro. I won't talk about NHL awards, though... one game against an AHL team just doesn't make it for me to jump on the bandwagon.

Mathletic 01-10-2004 10:55 AM

Vezina: Brodeur / Belfour

Calder: Pitaknen

Norris: Souray has a shot, but I would not bet on him

Jack Adams: Darryl Sutter

Corey 01-10-2004 11:02 AM

Ryder won't win the Calder because Bergeron and Pitkanen are much younger and have no previous professional experience. Souray has an outside chance for the Norris. Théo is a long shot for any trophy. The Calgary turnaround should earn the Adams for Sutter.

chicpea* 01-10-2004 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiggsFan
one game against an AHL team just doesn't make it for me to jump on the bandwagon.

I agree, but this isn't a bandwagon - it's just a suggestion after 44 games. Calder doesn't seem too ridiculous. And who are Souray's competitors for the Norris at the moment? Gonchar has 39 points which are mostly assists, but is -23 in +/-. Blake, Lidstrom, Pronger, Jovo? Maybe. But S. has just a good a shot.

As I said above Vezina and Jack Adams are outside chances, but Theo will at least be looked at if he keeps it up I think.

BigM1ke 01-10-2004 11:11 AM

Ryder has GREAT chances of winning the calder and Souray has some chances for the Norris but I really doubt that... And Theo won't win the Vezina...

Maybe Julien will be finalist for the Jack Adams but he probably won't win it...

The only trophy we could get IMO is the Calder one and we have some very good chances with Ryder right now.

Habsaku 01-10-2004 11:22 AM

Souray will get the masterton(is that the one?you know the best comeback).

Mathletic 01-10-2004 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsaku

Masterton: Awarded to the NHL player who best exemplifies
the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey (comback of the year)

I agree with that

Dutchy 01-10-2004 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsaku

IMO, that's the only lock for us this year. Even if he collapses in the 2nd half.

P.S. It is the Bill Masterton

chicpea* 01-10-2004 11:28 AM

Quote:

IMO, that's the only lock for us this year. Even if he collapses in the 2nd half.

P.S. It is the Bill Masterton

I'm pretty sure it's the Bill Masterson. As for it being a lock, I think Pronger and (maybe Heatley ?? if he starts...right now) will have something to say about that too.
S. does have an awesome chance though for sure!

#44_delivers 01-10-2004 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey
Ryder won't win the Calder because Bergeron and Pitkanen are much younger and have no previous professional experience. Souray has an outside chance for the Norris. Théo is a long shot for any trophy. The Calgary turnaround should earn the Adams for Sutter.

wrong big time! clader trophy has nothing to do with age look at konstantinov i believe he waz 27 or 28. calder trophy is giving to the player whos had the most amount of posotive impact for his team in his first profesional season. pitkanen's impact on his teams been minimal, where as trent hunter has high points and 2 key stats working on his faivor he's among the league leaders for game winners and a high +/-, hunters impact on the islanders has been huge. right now its hunters trophy to lose, but ryders gaining momentum he has a very big chance at the calder.
its really to early to call em but souray if he keeps up his defencive play and keeps gaining in points has a not bad chance at the norris.
but remember the best players excel there game in the second half of the season, thats where we separate the men from the boys.

eddy 01-10-2004 11:31 AM

I think there is 3 or 4 awards that some people from the Habs could possibly be top candidates for but I wouldn't get to excited about anything yet.

Cariboux 01-10-2004 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles
Vezina: Brodeur / Belfour

Calder: Pitaknen

Norris: Souray has a shot, but I would not bet on him

Jack Adams: Darryl Sutter

I agree for Brodeur, but why Belfour ? :dunno:

Fish on The Sand 01-10-2004 12:27 PM

Quote:

Show me how brodeur has been better than Theodore? Shutouts is pretty much the biggest difference between the two netminders. Well actually save %is, but that's in theodore's favor.

BLONG7 01-10-2004 12:32 PM

Great to see some excellent individual efforts... but give me deep run into the playoffs anyday... and I'm sure Theo,CJ,Souray, and Ryder would agree!

chicpea* 01-10-2004 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLONG7
Great to see some excellent individual efforts... but give me deep run into the playoffs anyday... and I'm sure Theo,CJ,Souray, and Ryder would agree!

haha, touché blong.
but back to trophies: I think Ribs, just beating Madden, will get the Selke. ;)

gohabsgo2010 01-10-2004 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicpea
haha, touché blong.
but back to trophies: I think Ribs, just beating Madden, will get the Selke. ;)

I think he's more in line for the Nobel Peace Prize. ;)

didjuicythat 01-10-2004 12:54 PM

Quote:

Ryder won't win the Calder because Bergeron and Pitkanen are much younger and have no previous professional

This is one way of looking at it. I prefer seeing it that way: last year, Barret Jackman won the Calder Trophy at 22 years old. He was a 1999 draftee and had pro experience in the AHL. Meanwhile, Zetterberg and Nash, the two other Calder finalists, had no pro experience, as Nash playing for the London Knights (OHL) and Zetterberg was in the Swedish Elite League.

And from what I know, Jackman wasn't THAT dominant. He didn't win by much over Nash and Zetterberg, IMO. So, to resume my thoughts, I don't think the decision is mainly based on professionnal experience.

Habber 01-10-2004 03:08 PM

Even though it's early to talk about this, I think all three have a legitmate shot at the trophies.

Theo has been playing better and better all year and there's every reason to believe he's going to start to really peak for the playoff run. Brodeur has been cooling off lately and has only won 1 of his last 8 starts. And the only reason Belfour is mentioned is because he's playing in TO, Theo's stats are better across the board.

Ryder has been gaining momentum as the season goes as well, something you don't usually see in rookies (see Jason King). He now has a 6 point lead in the rookie scoring race and it's looking more and more like he's going to run away. In the last 12 games, Hunter has 5 points and Ryder has 14.

Souray is now tie with Blake for 2nd in defenceman scoring. This will be a tough win though, as in the past it seems D-men have to string together two or three good season before the voters will give him the trophy.

We have to remember that it's the 2nd half of the season that decides these trophies. The voters are going to remember the last 40 games a lot more than the 1st 40. I think all three guys have put themselves in a position to be considered over the stretch and if they keep improving as all three have been, I think they've got an excellent shot.

jonny5 01-10-2004 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jl.roberts
I think he's more in line for the Nobel Peace Prize. ;)

I really enjoy the way you come across with your comments(ha,ha). You seem to say the right things at the right times. Great job on the pre-game threads. You must be hilarious at a party!!!!!