HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   3 goaltenders in Peoria (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=427250)

wildone26* 10-06-2007 09:37 AM

3 goaltenders in Peoria

The Rivermen are actually keeping 3 goaltenders with their team. Wont that get kind of awkward? Of course the 3 are Bacasihua, Schwarz, and Riskman. It will be interesting to see how they handle that. They play their opening game tonight.

Irish Blues 10-06-2007 10:01 AM

http://www.pjstar.com/stories/100607...I59H4F.080.php

Quote:

... The Rivermen plan to start goaltender Jason Bacashihua in the opener tonight. ...

wildone26* 10-06-2007 10:38 AM

Well I assume they will play them early and then play more whoever is playing the best.

Robb_K 10-06-2007 11:34 AM

They're biding their time, waiting for injuries to occur around The NHL and AHL. Maybe a trade or loan-placement opportunity will shake out soon.

Chevy Cheveldae 10-06-2007 11:40 AM

Riksman has today signed a one-month loan with Swedish side Färjestad

http://www.farjestadsbk.se/showpage.asp?PID=159221248

wildone26* 10-06-2007 11:59 AM

This is similar to last year. I dont personally understand the desire to have 5 as opposed to 4 NHL/AHL goaltenders in the system, but that is just me.

DrVanntastic 10-06-2007 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildone26 (Post 10667080)
This is similar to last year. I dont personally understand the desire to have 5 as opposed to 4 NHL/AHL goaltenders in the system, but that is just me.

It really doesn't hurt anything. If it becomes too much of an issue they can always be loaned out to another team (see Riksman). Too much depth is a good issue to have (see Blues D currently).

Irish Blues 10-07-2007 12:23 AM

http://stats.theahl.com/stats/offici...ame_id=1003517

Cash makes 25 stops in a 4-2 win over Milwaukee.

rocketpop 10-07-2007 12:32 AM

Well, with Legace "tweaking his knee" again, I'd expect Cash to get the call-up. He better make the most of it if he gets a call, because hasn't done anything to deserve a 10th look by the Blues.

Bluester 10-07-2007 01:46 AM

I think we resigned to see what he can do now that Sanford is gone.

execwrite 10-07-2007 06:48 AM

pjstar.com says the Blues are trying to place Riksman on a European team.

Prussian_Blue 10-07-2007 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by execwrite
pjstar.com says the Blues are trying to place Riksman on a European team.

They've already loaned him out to Farjestad... I would be very surprised if he came back.

The crowded goaltending situation in Peoria seems to have thinned itself out in a big hurry; it looks like the Rivermen will live or die with Bacashihua and Schwarz this year.

I listened to the game last night; couldn't watch, since the B2 Networks feed from Peoria wasn't working (see the "sticky" game day thread at STL Today.com).

It sounded like Bacashihua was hitting on all cylinders last night; the two bang-bang goals that Milwaukee scored on him weren't "softies," and the defense seemed to think that the last ten minutes of the third period were just going to melt off the clock when the Rivermen were up 3-0.

I'm sure Coach gave the boys a good talking-to after the game, despite the win. And I'd be willing to bet my next paycheck that Aaron Mackenzie, the Rivermen captain, plays on defense this afternoon, and either Komadoski or Glenn has a seat in the press box at the MARK of the Quad Cities.

P_B

:bb:

Prussian_Blue 10-07-2007 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketpop
Well, with Legace "tweaking his knee" again, I'd expect Cash to get the call-up. He better make the most of it if he gets a call, because hasn't done anything to deserve a 10th look by the Blues.

I don't know if I'd agree with that last statement, 'pop...

B-Cash hasn't been a model of consistency, I'll grant... but he did play pretty well for the Blues down the strech last year; he has excelled in the spotlight for Team USA at the World Championships; and he got off to a very good start for this year, with his 25-save (.926 save %) performance last night.

Between John Davidson and Rick Wamsley, I would bet that they know a thing or two about goaltending... and if they didn't see something they liked in Bacashihua, he'd have folllowed Sanford out the door this summer.

P_B

:bb:

Robb_K 10-07-2007 01:04 PM

It's actually good that The Blues still have Bacashiua. If legace IS hurt enough to miss a lot of games, it's better to bring Cash up and let Schwarz continue to play most of the games at Peoria, rather than have him sit on the bench and watch Toivonen.

rocketpop 10-07-2007 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robb_K (Post 10682853)
It's actually good that The Blues still have Bacashiua. If legace IS hurt enough to miss a lot of games, it's better to bring Cash up and let Schwarz continue to play most of the games at Peoria, rather than have him sit on the bench and watch Toivonen.

I agree it is better to let Schwarz play--which is why I'm sure Cash will get the callup and ride the pine unless Toivonen falters (which is a strong possibility).

If he gets a few games, hopefully he proves me wrong now that he has a better roster in front of him--but the fact is, he wasn't that good in Peoria in the past and he wasn't that good in the NHL when he was given a shot. He has been waived two or three times now and not a single other team wanted him. Davidson and Wamsley might know goaltenders, but so does every other team in the NHL.

DrVanntastic 10-07-2007 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketpop (Post 10683076)
I agree it is better to let Schwarz play--which is why I'm sure Cash will get the callup and ride the pine unless Toivonen falters (which is a strong possibility).

If he gets a few games, hopefully he proves me wrong now that he has a better roster in front of him--but the fact is, he wasn't that good in Peoria in the past and he wasn't that good in the NHL when he was given a shot. He has been waived two or three times now and not a single other team wanted him. Davidson and Wamsley might know goaltenders, but so does every other team in the NHL.

I think that has more to do with the depth of goaltending league-wide right now. The fact of the matter is that there are more quality goaltenders right now than there are jobs.

wildone26* 10-07-2007 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noteman (Post 10683915)
I think that has more to do with the depth of goaltending league-wide right now. The fact of the matter is that there are more quality goaltenders right now than there are jobs.

This is true but there are some teams with shaky goaltending situations.

FloPoErich 10-07-2007 11:04 PM

JR said in his latest blog that Legace isn't expected to miss anytime... I really want to get a longer look at Hannu though..

wildone26* 10-07-2007 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloPoErich (Post 10688157)
JR said in his latest blog that Legace isn't expected to miss anytime... I really want to get a longer look at Hannu though..

Hannu would get to play some. It is not like Manny will play 70+ games like Brodeur or Kiprusoff even if he doesnt miss time with a significant injury.

ChicagoBlues 10-08-2007 12:29 PM

It looks like this thread has gone off topic so I will guide it back to, at least, Peoria related activities.

The Rivermen's website totally sucks. I went there to look at the roster, especially the 3 goalies that were on the roster only to find that the roster is only half completed by the webmaster, or whoever the hell maintains this horrible website.

And it looks like the fans in Peoria, according to Eminian's PJ Star page, are doing a fair amount of complaining about various things. Here is a link and look on the right side under "Recent Comments".

http://www.pjstar.com/php/index.php?/eminian

================================================== ===============================

UPDATE

I just had contact with some Peoria Rivermen people (I will not name anyone as it seems inappropriate) and was told, via email, that the Peoria Rivermen are redesigning a new website. As far as I am concerned, this is great news!

In the Doghouse 10-09-2007 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue (Post 10682339)
They've already loaned him out to Farjestad... I would be very surprised if he came back.

Jokerit didn't let Riksman play in Färjestad, because he still has 1 year left of his contract with Jokerit. And Jokerit doesn't need Riksman anymore as they already have Jussi Markkanen between the pipes. So, Riksman will fly back to N-America.

concept* 10-09-2007 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In the Doghouse (Post 10700421)
So, Riksman will fly back to N-America.

I bet he's thrilled.

But even so, if there was ever a time to fly back, it's now. Even though Legace might not miss any time, a twinged knee can always get worse.

FloPoErich 10-09-2007 03:30 PM

Per Hockeybuzz...
Quote:

Bill Meltzer NHL.com
Riksman stuck in limbo
Today @ 4:02 PM ET | Comments (0)
Depending on how you want to look at it, goaltender Juuso Riksman is a man without a hockey team right now -- or a man with three teams.

Riksman was signed by the St. Louis Blues in the offseason but quickly fell by the wayside in the competition for an NHL goaltending spot. The Blues sent him down to Peoria.

When Swedish team Färjestad recently lost its starting goalie, former Canadiens draft pick Christopher Heino-Lindberg, to injury they arranged for the Blues to loan Riksman to the club for one month while Lindberg is on the mend. Riksman was to have played for FBK in its home game today against Linköping.

One problem: Riksman still has one season left on his contract with Finnish team Jokerit Helsinki. Under the terms of the out clause he exercised to sign with the Blues, Riksman can play in the NHL or AHL this year but not for another team in Europe.

FBK general manager Håkan Loob says he was unaware of this stipulation when he arranged for Riksman to come to Karlstad.

Jokerit exercised its right to block Riksman from playing for Färjestad. As a result, rookie goalie Jonas Gustavsson started in FBK's 3-2 loss today.

Riksman's status for upcoming games remains unclear. Loob maintains that the goaltender should still be allowed to play for Färjestad since he was acquired on loan and not via a contract transfer for the remainder of the season.

bloom 10-12-2007 05:48 PM

riksman is now cleared to play for Färjestad. His old team got guarantees they wouldn't lose any money (signing money for Riksman) from the IIHA. RIksman will stay there until november. (all according to swedish press using direct quotes from Hakan loob.

Irish Blues 10-13-2007 05:16 PM

The scoresheet will say that Peoria lost 2-1 to San Antonto, with Cash make 21 saves on 23 shots ... but the GWG raised some controversy when the referee called it a goal and the Rivermen protested to no avail.