HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Western Europe (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Question about several national team players... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=42759)

rbeeler 01-10-2004 05:11 PM

Question about several national team players...

There are several national team players that hail from the Czech Republic, guys such as Kunce, Reichel, and Martinec. Also, several other German players such as Robert Hock and Erich Kuhnahkl came from the Czech Republic. With the exception of Martinec (I have read that he married a German girl, thereby attaining citizenship), are these players ethnic Germans that lived on the other side of the border? Just curious.

Thanks

JVR 01-11-2004 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbeeler
There are several national team players that hail from the Czech Republic, guys such as Kunce, Reichel, and Martinec. Also, several other German players such as Robert Hock and Erich Kuhnahkl came from the Czech Republic. With the exception of Martinec (I have read that he married a German girl, thereby attaining citizenship), are these players ethnic Germans that lived on the other side of the border? Just curious.Thanks

Kühnhackl's parents were German and to emigrated to Germany in 1968 when Erich was 18 years old and he was fluent in German!

In the last centuries Germans and Czechs had lived together mostly as good neighbors and intermarried so frequently that still today many Czechs bear German names but have no German nationality.
When Martin Reichel was awarded the German nationality he already lived in germany 12 years, it had nothing to do with his German surname or ethnical background.

I don't know why Robert Hock and Kunce are able to play for Germany, maybe they did prove that they have German-born parents or grandparents..

rbeeler 01-11-2004 09:45 AM

Danke Schön!

I have noticed that a lot of Czechs do have German names (Jiri Hudler, Marek Schwarz, etc). Also, I sometime wander if Jaromir Jagr's last name was originally something like Jäger? I have read that the Reichel family was German, but they lived in the Czech Rep. and Robert chose to play for the Czechs. I am guessing, but not positive, that is the case for Kunce.

brian 01-12-2004 06:41 PM

Daniel Kunce was raised in the Czech Republic and got his citizenship in the mid 90s. Robert Hock actually came up through the German system because he left the Czech Republic at a young age. He is a German bred player therdfore, I wouldn't consider him a foreigner on the national team. In fact he represented Germany at the 92 and 93 U20 tournaments. I know Martinec spent a lot of his young life in Germany and played minor and junior hockey there. But I do not know anything else about him.