HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   NHL Arena for 30,000 fans. Why, Why Not? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=428150)

Tb0ne 10-08-2007 07:46 PM

NHL Arena for 30,000 fans. Why, Why Not?
 
The title pretty much says it all.

As far as I can tell the biggest arena in the NHL is the Montreal Canadiens' Bell Centre which seats 21,273 for hockey.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Centre

Now since the Bell Centre and many arenas in this league have been built quite recently, there probably isn't any rush to build new ones. However at some point they definatly will and that got me asking this question:

Will there ever be any NHL arenas sitting 30,000 (or more) fans? and if not, why?

trenton1 10-08-2007 07:51 PM

Even if it worked sight line-wise only Toronto and Montreal could fill such arenas on a regular basis. Those cities could explore it.

Talent Analyst 10-08-2007 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenton1 (Post 10696387)
Even if it worked sight line-wise only Toronto and Montreal could fill such arenas on a regular basis. Those cities could explore it.

They have to! Toronto and Montreal are always full and its really hard to get those tickets. They will made more money and the fans deserve it.

Carlos Ranger 10-08-2007 07:56 PM

MSG V could pull it off

Oedi 10-08-2007 07:58 PM

Would u even be able to see the puck at that height?

Have My Baby Pierre 10-08-2007 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by God Is Avery (Post 10696438)
MSG V could pull it off

I doubt on a consistent basis...

RayzorFan1* 10-08-2007 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by God Is Avery (Post 10696438)
MSG V could pull it off

Arguable.

Tb0ne 10-08-2007 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oedi (Post 10696466)
Would u even be able to see the puck at that height?

Good question, I wonder if anyone who was at the Edmonton Heritage Classic or the NCAA Cold War would be able to tell us if they had any trouble ?

Augustus Pablo 10-08-2007 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by God Is Avery (Post 10696438)
MSG V could pull it off

maybe, I doubt it

Carlos Ranger 10-08-2007 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayzorFan1 (Post 10696489)
Arguable.

Well, yea, early plans only have it seating approx 20,000 + standing room anyway.

Irish Blues 10-08-2007 08:03 PM

Corporate wise, MSG could absolutely do it. Toronto and Montreal could probably do it given sheer demand from fans.

Given construction limitations [available space, ADA requirements, safety concerns] it'll never happen in New York; considering neither arena is 10 years old, it'll never happen in Montreal and Toronto. [Never mind the fact that limited supply = higher price = higher revenues = higher profits.]

TheDanceOfMaternity 10-08-2007 08:04 PM

If it worked in every respect, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Although there is probably a reason that all the arenas in the league are close to each other in size.

ANTON HIS HOLINESS 10-08-2007 08:11 PM

Here's a picture taken from the very back of Commonwealth Stadium during the Heritage Classic

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/her.../alum_game.jpg

I would think that, once you get above 23000-25000 seats that it would be very hard to view the ice. I wouldn't spend more than a few bucks on nosebleed tickets from that far back, same with most other fans

Have My Baby Pierre 10-08-2007 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach - #1 Canes Fan (Post 10696651)
Here's a picture taken from the very back of Commonwealth Stadium during the Heritage Classic

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/her.../alum_game.jpg

I would think that, once you get above 23000-25000 seats that it would be very hard to view the ice. I wouldn't spend more than a few bucks on nosebleed tickets from that far back, same with most other fans

I can't wait to see how my view is during the ice bowl this year haha...I'm gonna need a telescope.

Hackett 10-08-2007 08:13 PM

irish blues made a good point about keeping the demand high.

Although I have little doubt that a select few team(s) will have no problem filling 30 thousand seats, thats all it is.... a select few.

Garbs 10-08-2007 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Blues (Post 10696532)
[Never mind the fact that limited supply = higher price = higher revenues = higher profits.]

I was going to say, if Toronto looked into doing this, they would actually have to drop their ticket prices considerably.

X0X0A0 10-08-2007 08:15 PM

Tampa Bay used to have attendance figures between 27,000-28,000 when the Lightning played in Tropicana Field.

ANTON HIS HOLINESS 10-08-2007 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky #13 (Post 10696685)
I can't wait to see how my view is during the ice bowl this year haha...I'm gonna need a telescope.

Yep. Unless the NHL creates an innovative way for seats to be placed on the ceiling of NHL arenas so spectators can look directly down on the ice, I doubt the view would be good

Have My Baby Pierre 10-08-2007 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick (Post 10696717)
Tampa Bay used to have attendance figures between 27,000-28,000 when the Lightning played in Tropicana Field.

Doesn't Tampa give out like free tickets though?...Or basically for free.

Tb0ne 10-08-2007 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach - #1 Canes Fan (Post 10696651)
Here's a picture taken from the very back of Commonwealth Stadium during the Heritage Classic

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/her.../alum_game.jpg

I would think that, once you get above 23000-25000 seats that it would be very hard to view the ice. I wouldn't spend more than a few bucks on nosebleed tickets from that far back, same with most other fans


Look how far away they are from the playing surface in that picture though.
It seems like the sight lines would definatly be better than that in a real hockey arena with a 2nd upper bowl (albeit high above the ice).

X0X0A0 10-08-2007 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky #13 (Post 10696728)
Doesn't Tampa give out like free tickets though?...Or basically for free.

Every team gives out free tickets and many give out more than the Lightning, people only hear about the Lightning giving out free tickets because nobody can believe that a team in central Florida has better attendance than so many other teams.

State of Hockey 10-08-2007 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenton1 (Post 10696387)
Even if it worked sight line-wise only Toronto and Montreal could fill such arenas on a regular basis. Those cities could explore it.

You're missing Minnesota. We could have 23,000+ season ticket holders if we had an arena large enough. I'm sure more would go for season tickets if the waiting list wasn't 7,000. Combine this with single game sales and the Wild could easily draw near 30,000 on a consistent basis.

Valic 10-08-2007 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick (Post 10696812)
Every team gives out free tickets and many give out more than the Lightning, people only hear about the Lightning giving out free tickets because nobody can believe that a team in central Florida has better attendance than so many other teams.

Theres a differance between giving a couple hundred tickets to Charity like the Oilers do vs giving away a few thousand.

HuMz 10-08-2007 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick (Post 10696812)
Every team gives out free tickets and many give out more than the Lightning, people only hear about the Lightning giving out free tickets because nobody can believe that a team in central Florida has better attendance than so many other teams.


You won't find out any Canadian teams giving out free tickets thats for sure.

X0X0A0 10-08-2007 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valic (Post 10696880)
Theres a differance between giving a couple hundred tickets to Charity like the Oilers do vs giving away a few thousand.

Of course there is, I have no idea what that has to do with anything though.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.