HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Let's Talk Goalies (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=42878)

capn89* 01-11-2004 06:39 AM

Let's Talk Goalies

The general consensus of Flyers fans seem to agree, for the last decade (or more) the Flyers haven't had the type of goal tender you could expect to back stop a team to the Stanley cup. So here we are, Febuary 11th, 2004. The team has won 6 games in it's last 20! So let's talk goalies.

Hackett is a hack job, and everyone seems to be in agreeance about his suck-ness. When I heard of the deal before the season, I didn't get excited, rightfully so. Along with the fact that they said they want Esche to be the #1 guy, that made me very nervous. Being a Flyers fan since the early/mid 90's, I've noticed one thing... Mediocre goalies can come into Philly and get made to look like allstars because of the team defense the Flyers have consistently had. I don't like Esche, I haven't liked him so far this year, and unless he gets really solid, I'll hold to my opinion that he's a career #2, and nothing more.

So here's my question to you... Forget deals, forget reality. I want you to name the top 5 goaltenders currently in the NHL, that if you could play NHL God, you'd put on your team in order from 1 to 5. I'm curious to see who everyone thinks is the top 5 tenders out there.

Flyman 01-11-2004 08:40 AM

1 - Luongo
2 - Théodore
3 - Joseph
4 - Turco
5 - Biron

blah 01-11-2004 08:42 AM

Broduer
Luongo
Roloson
Theodore
Turco

Whinks 01-11-2004 08:50 AM

Brodeur
Luongo
Giguere
Nabokov
Theodore

Steve L* 01-11-2004 08:53 AM

1 Broduer
2 Luongo
3 Khabibulin
4 Aebischer
5 Giguere with last years pads.

RoDu 01-11-2004 09:26 AM

1. Brodeur
the rest in no particular order
Theodore
Belfour
Luongo
i dunno for a fifth, maybe Vokoun, Gigurere, Thibault

BrimFullofAsham45 01-11-2004 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyman
1 - Luongo
2 - Théodore
3 - Joseph
4 - Turco
5 - Biron

No Brodeur??

Joseph, Biron? They are definately not in the top 5

1. Brodeur
---------
2. Luongo
3. Belfour
---------
4. Theodore
5. Khabibulin, Vokoun, Turco, Giguere... its anyones pick

Flyman 01-11-2004 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Learning_to_Fly
No Brodeur??

Joseph, Biron? They are definately not in the top 5

1. Brodeur
---------
2. Luongo
3. Belfour
---------
4. Theodore
5. Khabibulin, Vokoun, Turco, Giguere... its anyones pick

Just because I cannot imagine Marty elsewhere than in NJ...

And Joseph and Brion are in MY top 5... ;)

Cross Out The Eyes* 01-11-2004 09:59 AM

Brodeur
Brodeur
Brodeur
Brodeur
Brodeur

RoDu 01-11-2004 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyman
And Joseph and Brion are in MY top 5... ;)

are we talking about Joseph of the past or Joseph of present

capn89* 01-11-2004 11:10 AM

Of all the goalies mentioned, I think the only one (and it's by a long shot) we'd have a chance of getting would be Giggy. The ducks are drowning (pun intended), and I'm not sure what his contract is, but it might be someone they'd think about trading at the deadline with the CBA coming up. On the other hand, who knows if he's really as good as he was, or if it was a fluke... it would be a gamble, and I'm not really sure I want another gamble. I'd love to see a legit goalie on the team.

As for right now, guys I wouldn't mind seeing moved.

Gagne -- His shooting % is weak, so he's not a finished, he is injury prone, he doesn't hit. Why everyone goes ballistic at the idea of trading him is beyond me, I say ship him.

Handzus -- Another big slow centerman... and he's not winning face offs this year, so what is his purpose?

Brashear -- I used to love the guy, and used to defend him. All he does any more is take stupid penalties, he doesn't drop the gloves, which means he's turning into a big, slow, no talent p***y.

Desjardins -- I've wanted him off the team for the last 4 or 5 years. I personally think he sucks, and he's a liability come playoff time. He's getting older and older, and not any better.

Therien -- Lug. I don't want to say any more.

Hackett & Esche -- Equally so. Neither are #1s, and as much as Bob Clarke wants to use retard math of #2 goalie + #2 goalie = #1, they both can't cut it. Esche will never win a cup (unless he's a backup on a really good team) and it's fact. I know hack hack choke choke can't be traded, but still, I can dream can't I?

I think the Flyers are a cursed hockey franchise, which is why I stick to my conspiracy theory that the only reason the flyers won back to back cups was because bob clarke sold his soul for them. This team only has like 2 players that are the same as 5-6 years ago, yet they still win a ton of games in a row, then can't beat anyone. Different team, different coach, different system... same old Flyers.

RoDu 01-11-2004 11:39 AM

it wouldn't hurt my feelings the least bit if we dumped salery to begin a rebuilding era

FlyerFire 01-11-2004 12:00 PM

id have to

AGREE.1st off,GOALIE ,GOALIE ,GOALIE the Franchise kind.

RoDu 01-11-2004 02:45 PM

there's talk about having the Chiefs defensive co-ordinator have an accident, maybe we can get him to take Hackett with him :dunno:

Rex88 01-11-2004 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
it wouldn't hurt my feelings the least bit if we dumped salery to begin a rebuilding era

The problem is alot of guys have NTC in the contracts that you would likely want to move.
Leclair, Hack, Amonte - any others? JR?
I would keep Rex and Primeau.
Any of the D are fair game except KJ and those younger than him.

RoDu 01-11-2004 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex88
The problem is alot of guys have NTC in the contracts that you would likely want to move.
Leclair, Hack, Amonte - any others? JR?
I would keep Rex and Primeau.
Any of the D are fair game except KJ and those younger than him.

I know, damn no trade clauses, what was Clarke thinking?
Of our vets, when do their contracts expire

capn89* 01-11-2004 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kffk
Jesus Christ, Esche is doing amazing this year, There is no way i would get rid of him unless we are getting someone like Brodeur, WHEN we get to the playoffs this year, Esche will take us there, Mark my words. Esche has had maybe 2 bad games this entire season and those two games have been his last two starts, He needs to get his head straight and get his confidence level back up and quit worrying about hitting people in front of the net just to hit them and He will take us to the CUP.
My opinion on the current goalie situation?

We can't move Hackett with the NTC so drop him to the Phantoms and Bring up Niitymaki as the Backup.

By the way
BOB CLARKE..... **** YOU.

If I had vocal cords I'd laugh really really loud... I'll tell you what, I'll take you out to dinner, buy you a flyers jersey and pay someone to taxi you around for a year if Esche takes the Flyers to the stanley cup finals this year. It's not going to happen, ever.

Brad* 01-11-2004 04:34 PM

Haven't we already gone over this enough?

FearTheFlyers 01-11-2004 04:38 PM

1.Brodeur
2.Nabokov
3.Giguere
4.Theodore
5.Lalime

Gert B Frobe 01-11-2004 05:18 PM

Brodeur
Everyone else

I think we should dump as much salary as possible and rebuild.

Keep Comrie, Gagne, Williams, Pitkanen, Vandermeer, Seidenberg, Somik, and maybe Handzus and Johnson....

The rest- SCRAP 'EM

SaveByHexy 01-11-2004 05:24 PM

Brodeur
Turco
Fluery
Belfour
Khabibulin

Toonces 01-11-2004 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineers
I think we should dump as much salary as possible and rebuild.

Everybody just relax, it's January.

capn89* 01-11-2004 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toonces
Everybody just relax, it's January.

What will you say when we're still talking like this in April?

Toonces 01-11-2004 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capn89
What will you say when we're still talking like this in April?

Not "OMG we need to rebuild NOW!!!"

Wait till after the trade deadline to start screaming rebuild, or at least until they are eliminated.

capn89* 01-11-2004 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toonces
Not "OMG we need to rebuild NOW!!!"

Wait till after the trade deadline to start screaming rebuild, or at least until they are eliminated.

Why should we wait, I've been screaming for a rebuild for the past couple years... this year will be no different than the past, new faces, same results.