HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   defense/cofidence issue (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=429764)

CaNucK10 10-13-2007 03:17 AM

defense/cofidence issue

any tips on playing defense? i seem to have problems with 1 on 1s and odd man rush plays. my knowledge on defense isnt so great and i seem to lose my cofidence on my team very fast too. any help?

edit confidence*

really should check my spelling after.

Puckboy 10-13-2007 09:05 AM

One on Ones I like to watch the hips of the player never watch the puck. THe player is going where his hips go. Keep you feet moving all the time and match the speed of the on coming player. Do not skate at him he will just go around you if he is any good. Odd man rushes you let the goalie take the shooter and you take the extra guy and take away the passing lane. Do not go all the to the second guy you just are giving the puck carrier a break away. Always move the puck up the boards and if in trouble high and hard off the glass. PLay smart do not try to do more then your ability will allow.

I also like to piss someone off on the other team at the beginning of the game. Kind of gets my head in it and makes me work harder to assure that I do not get beat.
Good Luck

sc37 10-13-2007 11:55 AM

Play the middle of the ice and push everything off to the sides....always keep your stick down on the ice too to clog up the passing lane. Don't get too mesmerized by the puck either, you need to play your position and keep an eye on your man. That will help with one on ones cause if you look at the puck, you'll get smoked by a good puck handler. And always try to pressure the puck, don't sit back and wait for something to happen, keep skate and hassle the opposition. One thing I find is that the D sometimes backs off too much and they can walk right in...try to make your move when you get down near the hash marks in your zone.

Always talk to your goalie and D partner too, it'll help with a lot of things like odd man rushers...generally you play the pass but I've had goalies say play the shot and try to block it. If it works for them...then it works for them cause you should be playing to help the goalie out.

CaNucK10 10-13-2007 02:22 PM

i do most of that but usually my partner doesnt know how to skate or hes playin forward.

Nosebleed Section 10-13-2007 05:57 PM

Just a tip for one on ones you obviously want to be watching the body but you also want to keep your stick facing straight ahead or towards the middle of the ice, this stops them from cutting inside on you.

XweekendwarriorX 10-15-2007 01:29 PM

what helped me on 1 on 1 is the finger. you have you one hand on the stick and skating backwords the free hand move it up and kinda point the index finger at him and than when you get into the same speed and havim in your sights step up and use that free hand/arm to lay a hit on him or move him to the boards and off or away from the puck.

SoundwaveIsCharisma 10-15-2007 01:52 PM

While going backwards on a one on one I like to gradually alter my speed so that the gap between the shooter and myself closes just ever so slightly, then when he goes to make his move (watch his body not the puck), I go in for the knockdown.

Another thing you can do is to not fully extend your stick outwards. So basically you want your higher hand bent inwards a bit, the stick should still be facing the shooter, but he'll think he has more space then he actually does. That trick works really well if they try to make a move in close as you'll actually be able to poke the puck away.

Jarick 10-15-2007 02:49 PM

If I can try and break it down simply:

1. Push the attacker to the outside on 1-on-1's. Put yourself between the goalie and the attacker, but I like to stay just on the inside of that line so I'm not screening the goalie. Just remember the closer the puck is to the boards, the smaller the angle for the shot and the easier time the goalie has to stop it.

2. Watch the attacker's chest. He can do whatever he wants with the puck, but don't let him cut around you. It's the goalie's job to stop the puck, your job to make it harder for that guy to shoot. Stay with the man and let the goalie worry about watching the puck.

3. On 2-on-1's, get yourself and your stick between the two attackers to cut off the pass. Again, it's the goalie's job to watch and stop the puck, you're just going to make sure that the shot can only come from the puck carrier and not the other man. And after the shot, stay in the slot to clear rebounds.

Talk to your goalie whenever possible and ask him want he wants you to do and what you can improve on.

Steelhead16 10-15-2007 03:37 PM

I'm guessing this is a men's league with not great skill? Most middle to lower skill level men's league players do the same thing every time. The one thing I can tell you to do which most guys don't do is watch the game when you're on the bench. Watch and see what different guys do against your teammates because that's what they will do against you.
On a 1 on 1 situation try and position yourself so that your "same" shoulder lines up with the puck carrier to force him to his backhand side. If he is right handed line your right shoulder up with his right shoulder. 99% of the time in a league like that the puck carrier will take what you give him so give him his bad side. If he decides to cut back and go forehand you have that covered by having half your body in front of his already. As soon as he commits to go ouside just step out and go shoulder to shoulder and ride him right into the corner or around the net.
2 on 1 try and het the puck to the worst shooter or the guy in the worst shooting position and keep it there. Don't let the puck get passed back and forth. Make one guy keep it and let the goalie stop the shot. Your job is to give up the worst shot possible and give the goalie time to play the shooter. Don't jump over at the last second to block the shot.
Those are a few general things that you can try. As for the confidence thing........commit to what you are going to do and stick with it. Don't think about other things after you make your move. Make your move and go with it, right or wrong. And learn from your mistakes. You will make them, we all do. Learn from them and don't repeat them and you'll be fine.

Nosebleed Section 10-15-2007 06:28 PM

Yeah a huge thing on one on ones is gap control. You wanna be close enough to the guy so you can pokecheck or play the body but you dont want him to be able to beat you wide.

CaNucK10 10-15-2007 08:43 PM

nope its a group of friends playin hockey for fun and yeah i get put on the crappy team so i am relied on a lot.

nodq 10-15-2007 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaNucK10 (Post 10757584)
i do most of that but usually my partner doesnt know how to skate or hes playin forward.

If your other d-man is playing up, then a forward needs to cycle back. Talk to your team.