HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   NCAA, CIS, and other college (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   OFFICIAL Wisconsin Badgers Hockey Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=429939)

Bucky Ducky 10-13-2007 05:08 PM

OFFICIAL Wisconsin Badgers Hockey Thread

Nice win over ND last night. Hope to see it continue.

montreal 10-14-2007 01:26 PM

How did McDonagh look and was he paired with McBain?

Bucky Ducky 10-14-2007 07:35 PM

McDonaugh looked good. The Badger defense should be very solid this year. Brendan Smith, Ryan McDonaugh, Jamie Mcbain, and Kyle Klubertanz can all be game changers.

RabidBadger 10-14-2007 08:46 PM

'Bout time!

First off, thanks for starting the thread, Bucky. It's about time we got our own thread. I was starting to wonder if I was the lone Badger on this site.

I just got back from the 400 mile sojourn to Dayton to watch the Lefty McFadden Invitational so here is my take:
For the benefit of the Montreal fan: yeas, McDonagh was paired with McBain. He looked very composed the first night and looked like he belonged on the 1st D pairing. He held the offensive zone well, made smart passes, didn't panic and turn the puck over, kept his feet moving...basically was fundamentally sound and had a good physical presence. He looked like david Fisher at the end of Minnesota's season last year in his first game. I thought he and Conneley were the best players against Notre Dame. Ohio State had them on the ropes from the get go, but McD played well that game as well. He had some good opportunities offensively but couldn't quite capitalize. He was in the penalty box a few times, but managed to agitate the Buckeye players enough to get off-setting penalties 2 times. He and McBain were about the only D pairing the Buckeyes didn't skate right past. Very good start overall.

For the Badger fans: The team was solid the first night all around. Turris looked unsteady on his skates but still was a factor, including a nice short-handed chance. ND was trying to goon him and he didn't shy away. Both nights he played most of the game with his helmet askew from the cheap shots. He factored in on all 3 goals in the game they were simply outplayed by the Buckeyes.

I think the D will tighten up and be better than they were against the Buckeyes. Ohio State made them look flat-footed with their team speed. Connelley had to face down 2 or 3 breakaways, I can't fault him in that loss because it could have easily been a 7-8 goal game for the Buckeyes. It was shocking to see Klubertantz and Drewisky being walked around by the OSU forwards.

The offense looked a little better than last year. 7 goals in 2 games isn't too shabby considering how offensively challenged the team was last year. AND it looks like like they will be getting better offensive support from the blueline. Every line had decent chances in both games. Blake Geoffrion was automatic on face-offs but wasn't much of a factor otherwise. He didn't show up until the 3rd period of the ND game and, aside from some key faceoff wins, was a non-factor against OSU. That is the player the team needs to heat up in order to be successsful.

Overall the team looked pretty good considering its youth. They will be tough to play against this year but won't be a real contender until next year. I think the team will finish 3rd or 4th in the WCHA and has a pretty good chance of making the tourney this year.

Filppula 10-14-2007 09:32 PM

Ah great thread, I'll be able to keep up to date with Brendan Smith now. Be sure to let me know how he's travelling. :)

Bucky Ducky 10-15-2007 06:26 PM

Can't wait for the home opener against Rober Morris! I'll be there!

Go Bucky!

Ra 10-15-2007 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RabidBadger (Post 10777441)
For the benefit of the Montreal fan: yeas, McDonagh was paired with McBain. He looked very composed the first night and looked like he belonged on the 1st D pairing. He held the offensive zone well, made smart passes, didn't panic and turn the puck over, kept his feet moving...basically was fundamentally sound and had a good physical presence. He looked like david Fisher at the end of Minnesota's season last year in his first game. I thought he and Conneley were the best players against Notre Dame. Ohio State had them on the ropes from the get go, but McD played well that game as well. He had some good opportunities offensively but couldn't quite capitalize. He was in the penalty box a few times, but managed to agitate the Buckeye players enough to get off-setting penalties 2 times. He and McBain were about the only D pairing the Buckeyes didn't skate right past. Very good start overall.

thx for the update.

RabidBadger 10-15-2007 07:44 PM

need some badgers on the net

Does anyone know if Badger games are available via webcast? I downgraded my cable package which had Fox Sports North so I'm relegated to recaps and boxscores right now. Any info would be appreciated so I can get my Badgers fix.

Cheers

Bucky Ducky 10-16-2007 08:39 PM

I don't know, the games weren't broadcasted on FSN Wisconsin for some reason......I missed my cousin, Podge Turnbull, get his first point in NCAA hockey....:rant:

RabidBadger 10-20-2007 02:23 AM

Badgers erupt!

Looks like everything was clicking tonight. 14 goals in 3 games is not too shabby; they didn't hit that until the 6th game last year. No disrespect to Bob Morris, but I'm really looking forward to see how the team does when it faces the conference competition of Tech, CC, NoDak and the holiday trip to Michigan.

Oilers Chick 10-20-2007 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucky Ducky (Post 10800584)
I don't know, the games weren't broadcasted on FSN Wisconsin for some reason......I missed my cousin, Podge Turnbull, get his first point in NCAA hockey....:rant:

That's funny because I saw it on FSN.

Some personal observations:

1) The Badgers Team overall: This is going to be a really fun team to follow this year. What I was most impressed with was the fact that this year's team is moving ALOT better (read that more mobile) than they were last season. I noticed this especially in how quickly they transitioned. The passing, while it still needs some work, was pretty crisp and even more importantly quicker. Also, the defense this season is much more active than it was last season.

2) The Colonials Team overall: I had a chance to see RMU a number of times last season and even though they didn't show much tonight, this is going to be a good team coming out of the CHA. Don't be surprised if they get the CHA's auto-bid to the NCAA Tournament this season. RMU doesn't have the superstars that Wisconsin has, so they have to play their strength - in-your-face, aggressive forechecking hockey. They actually did a good job of this in the second period, but then lost their composure in the third period. The thing that the Colonials really had a lot of trouble with was Wisconsin's speed and IMO that's what proved to be their undoing tonight. Aside from Kyle Klubertanz's goal in the first, I didn't think he played all that poorly. He just didn't get much support. The RMU player that I was most impressed with was David Boguslawski. When he was on the ice, especially in the first and second periods, he made things happen out there for RMU. Ryan Caruthers, one of my favorite RMU players, has to stop telegraphing the plays that he's about to make. The Badgers defense had little trouble reading him like a book.

Now some of observations on some individual Badgers...

Kyle Turris: This guy is absolutely sick!!!! Can you say WCHA Rookie of the Year?

There were three things in particularly that really jumped out at me about Turris. First is unbelievable vision. He sees and assesses plays incredibly well. Second is his pinpoint accurate shot. On the first goal he scored, he was just so accurate that Boucher had no chance whatsoever. It was by him before he knew it was even there. Third is his ability to make the players around him better. He's a good fit with Benny Street because Turris is the just the kind of guy that can get a player like Street going. Street is a very good player in his own right but last year part of what he struggled with IMO was not having that team that he could feed off of and vice versa. I think Turris will be that guy and that should make Benny even better this year. In turn, I think Benny will make Kyle better too.

Brendan Smith: I absolutely love the way this kid skates. He's strong on his skates but he moves almost effortlessly and he was quite impressive in his transitioning. I also really like his patience with the puck. He almost never rushed to get rid of the puck, that was particularly evident on the power play.

Ryan McDonagh: Quite honestly I was expecting to see a lot more from him than I did. I guess having seen him with Cretin Derham-Hall a few times last season, I kind of knew what to expect to see from Ryan, so maybe that had something to do with it. The two things I did notice was he looks stronger and he was very sound in his own end. He didn't try to get fancy but kept things pretty simple. I think more of Ryan's capabilities will emerge even more as the year goes along.

Podge Turnbull: I like his play along the boards and in front of the net. I can see him making his collegiate living scoring the so-called "garbage" goals. He takes the punishment to make the play and you've gotta love a guy that will do that. What really impressed me about Podge in this game was the fact that he seemed to always keep his feet moving. It drove the RMU players crazy and even drew a penalty. He's also got good hustle and isn't afraid to get into the difficult areas to make plays.

Cody Goloubef: This kid is a pup (17 years old) and was just so poised with the puck. That was what impressed me abouut him. It's very evident that he's still learning the game at this level, but I like his upside. He likes to join the play, but he'll need to learn when to do it and not to do it and I think in time he will.

Patrick Johnson; Patrick was really fun to watch. A little guy with some fire. It seemed like he wanted to take on everybody out there. You've gotta love his intensity, enthusiasm and competitive spirit.

Bucky Ducky 10-20-2007 10:25 AM

Let's hope Bucky keeps it going tonight!

JeromeHP 10-20-2007 12:45 PM

nice report on mcdonagh oilers chick thanks, good for him to get his 1st ncaa goal (habs fan still waiting for David fischer 1st goal lol)

i only saw him played at the u-18 last year, but how is his physical game?

does he look similar to former badgers ryan suter?

RabidBadger 10-20-2007 01:45 PM

Some personal observations:

1) The Badgers Team overall: This is going to be a really fun team to follow this year. What I was most impressed with was the fact that this year's team is moving ALOT better (read that more mobile) than they were last season. I noticed this especially in how quickly they transitioned. The passing, while it still needs some work, was pretty crisp and even more importantly quicker. Also, the defense this season is much more active than it was last season.

Kyle Turris: This guy is absolutely sick!!!! Can you say WCHA Rookie of the Year?

There were three things in particularly that really jumped out at me about Turris. First is unbelievable vision. He sees and assesses plays incredibly well. Second is his pinpoint accurate shot. On the first goal he scored, he was just so accurate that Boucher had no chance whatsoever. It was by him before he knew it was even there. Third is his ability to make the players around him better. He's a good fit with Benny Street because Turris is the just the kind of guy that can get a player like Street going. Street is a very good player in his own right but last year part of what he struggled with IMO was not having that team that he could feed off of and vice versa. I think Turris will be that guy and that should make Benny even better this year. In turn, I think Benny will make Kyle better too.

Brendan Smith: I absolutely love the way this kid skates. He's strong on his skates but he moves almost effortlessly and he was quite impressive in his transitioning. I also really like his patience with the puck. He almost never rushed to get rid of the puck, that was particularly evident on the power play.

Ryan McDonagh: Quite honestly I was expecting to see a lot more from him than I did. I guess having seen him with Cretin Derham-Hall a few times last season, I kind of knew what to expect to see from Ryan, so maybe that had something to do with it. The two things I did notice was he looks stronger and he was very sound in his own end. He didn't try to get fancy but kept things pretty simple. I think more of Ryan's capabilities will emerge even more as the year goes along.

Podge Turnbull: I like his play along the boards and in front of the net. I can see him making his collegiate living scoring the so-called "garbage" goals. He takes the punishment to make the play and you've gotta love a guy that will do that. What really impressed me about Podge in this game was the fact that he seemed to always keep his feet moving. It drove the RMU players crazy and even drew a penalty. He's also got good hustle and isn't afraid to get into the difficult areas to make plays.

Cody Goloubef: This kid is a pup (17 years old) and was just so poised with the puck. That was what impressed me abouut him. It's very evident that he's still learning the game at this level, but I like his upside. He likes to join the play, but he'll need to learn when to do it and not to do it and I think in time he will.

Patrick Johnson; Patrick was really fun to watch. A little guy with some fire. It seemed like he wanted to take on everybody out there. You've gotta love his intensity, enthusiasm and competitive spirit.[/QUOTE]

This team does seem to have a better mix of components than last year, for sure. Now that there is an offense I would like to see a more aggressive power play ala Denver with players passing and slicing to the net rather than keeping it on the perimeter. They have great puck movement but the skaters don't seem to move a great deal on the PP. Blake Geoffrion needs to ramp it up and take pressure off the Turris line. The D looks like it has good depth and, like you said, is more mobile. I saw more d-men sneaking in for close shots in the 1st two games than I did all of last year. We'll have to see if the D stands up to the footspeed of NoDak and CC pretty soon.

Yes, Turris IS the man. I expected good playmaking from him but what surprised me is what a finisher he is. He makes the goalie make the save and makes the most of his chances. He's on pace for some Mike Eaves/Dany Heatley freshman stats.

I agree McDonagh has not been mind-blowing, but I'm impressed with what I see so far. The good thing is that he doesn't try too much and makes smart plays. As far as his physical game, Markov Fan, think Matt Greene with an offensive upside. Last year your other habs prospect, David Fischer, looked uncomfortable in the first half of the season; got outmuscled, made errant "panic" passes in his own zone before he settled in. McD looks settled in already.

Last night was a good win: Bob Morris beat BU and roundly beat Wayne State. They are a good team.

JDevils3 10-20-2007 11:43 PM

The Street-Turris-Davies line is amazing. They look great so far this season.

RabidBadger 10-21-2007 02:15 AM

Blake Geoffrion has answered my call with a 5 point night. There is officially offensive depth. I hate that there is an extra week between games while the Badgers are on a tear.

Oilers Chick 10-21-2007 03:00 AM

One more thing I'll add and forgot to mention in my last post.

IMO, the most improved player I think is going to be Kyle Klubertanz. He's one of the leaders on this team this year and in last night's game he is showing that can lead and lead by example. With the Badgers defense being so young, I think Kyle is a nice stablizing presence back there. He has shown me a lot more in just last night's game, than he showed me in most of the games that I saw him in last year...and I saw a ton of Badgers games last year. I think he's matured a lot and he'll be a good role model for all the youngsters back there.

BTW, the RMU player I forgot to mention that I was referring to was their goalie Christian Boucher. Sorry about that. :blush:

Riggins 10-21-2007 03:27 PM

What are the D pairings like and which defensemen get PP time? Thanks.

Oilers Chick 10-21-2007 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steadfast (Post 10867578)
What are the D pairings like and which defensemen get PP time? Thanks.

Well in Friday night's game it looked like this:

Smith-Klubertanz
Drewiske-Goloubef
McDonagh-McBain

If memory serves me correctly, Smith and Klubertanz (especially) and McBain saw the bulk of PP time. Although I do recall the other three seeing time there as well.

I didn't see Saturday night's game, so I can't tell you how it looked, and if it was the same or not. Sorry.

Bucky Ducky 10-28-2007 01:20 PM

I definately expect at least 1 win over MTU this comeing weekend.

Go Bucky!

RabidBadger 10-28-2007 08:26 PM

Should be a good series. I'm glad it's in our barn since Tech has the lift of beating NoDak on their home turf. I expect the 2nd game beating NoDak gave them will make them more focused on what they need to do to win.

Staying out of the penalty box will be key; The Badgers have a staggering 40 penalties in the 1st 4 games. They will have to be more disciplined against teams like Tech and NoDak.

RabidBadger 11-03-2007 03:26 PM

The Huskies are putting together a nice year for themselves...that was a quality win for them last night being outshot and on the road. Two things that impressed me was Teslak's performance; he can win big games, and the fact that the Badgers big scorers were essentially neutralized. Shane Connelly needs to come up big tonight to salvage a split.

Bucky Ducky 11-03-2007 05:47 PM

I was at the game last night, the officials were terrible, no doubt but Wisconsin has got to play better. They seem to want to set up the perfect play. SHOOT THE PUCK!

RabidBadger 11-04-2007 11:42 AM

Tech is going to be trouble this year; I was happy with the split. Next weekend will be the biggest series yet. They'll need to play some serious hard-hitting Badger style hockey to disrupt NoDak's big guns.

I am calling Shane Connelly's number to be the difference maker in this series.

RabidBadger 11-06-2007 11:38 PM

Only 2 1/2 days until NoDak. This is my favorite series the Badgers play. It is always intense old time hockey...."like Dit Clapper and Eddie Shore" for any "Slap Shot" fans. A split will be nice, a sweep will establish the team as a contender.

For those of you not paying attention the Badger women are 8-1-1 to start the quest for a 3-peat. Mark Johnson has a record of 156-30-15 (.780) which is phenominal by any standards.