HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Tootoo is an unwelcome distraction, IMHO (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=430319)

darth5 10-14-2007 05:24 PM

Tootoo is an unwelcome distraction, IMHO
 
Bobby Mac on the latest Tootoo drama:
http://www.tsn.ca/tsn_talent/columnists/bob_mckenzie/

I have to say I've grown tired of defending him. He is occupying a roster spot in a counterproductive manner now. I think you can only have room for one offensively challenged banger on your team and I think that is Hordichuk. This might not be the foremost problem for our team right now but I think it needs to be dealt with. Tootoo is a distraction for a team that needs less distractions now, more than ever. I say he should go, if we can get any kind of return for him.

Paincakes 10-14-2007 05:31 PM

Agreed.

crossxcheck 10-14-2007 06:05 PM

I hated him being on the team this year to begin with. I have been sick of him since the beginning of his second season.

triggrman 10-14-2007 06:43 PM

All Tootoo did was hit a player coming around the net with his head down.

darth5 10-14-2007 06:55 PM

This time, that is. But having this guy on the roster is just another bullseye for this team. Every 5 games, here si another incident to get everyone riled up. I could deal with it if he was lighting the lamp or igniting a team rally, but I just don't see any of the 'benefits' the disturber type is supposed to bring.

xEx 10-14-2007 07:06 PM

I really don't believe its a distraction to the team. But I guess if he was going to be traded now would be the time. He's off to his best ever start in the NHL.

I would recommend you let him do something wrong first before you start defending him. As far as I know all he's done wrong is had a couple of minor penalties.

jstreet 10-14-2007 08:43 PM

I disagree. I think he should be buried on the 4th line and he can make some idiotic plays, but he is a useful tool.

The reason I say so is because I know how Id feel if we traded him to another team abd then had to play against him. Do you want him running around banging our players like he does?

In The Flesh 10-14-2007 09:20 PM

I like Tootoo, and if the Preds are willing to part ways with him, teams will snatch him up.

Paranoid Android 10-14-2007 11:24 PM

At this point in time, if we traded tootoo, fans in Nashville would go nuts. He was voted "best player" by some crap newspaper that polled fans. People love him. And if there's one thing we need more right now is more fans. The benefit of his popularity far out weighs his lack of skill.

And his latest hit is just a bunch of hype. There is a reason why there was no penalty and no suspension. It was legal. Look at videos from the 90s and there are much worse looking hits that people praise. For once, I can finally say, his hit was legal.

But he doesn't need to be playing on the 2nd freakin line with Arnie and JP. 4th line, minimum minutes.

Paincakes 10-14-2007 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predanerd (Post 10779541)
At this point in time, if we traded tootoo, fans in Nashville would go nuts. He was voted "best player" by some crap newspaper that polled fans. People love him. And if there's one thing we need more right now is more fans. The benefit of his popularity far out weighs his lack of skill.

And his latest hit is just a bunch of hype. There is a reason why there was no penalty and no suspension. It was legal. Look at videos from the 90s and there are much worse looking hits that people praise. For once, I can finally say, his hit was legal.

But he doesn't need to be playing on the 2nd freakin line with Arnie and JP. 4th line, minimum minutes.

Agreed with 4th line minutes but

Its great if the love the guy, but voting him best player, who the hell?

hillbilly 10-15-2007 11:50 AM

He'll never be anything more then a 3rd line player. That doesn't bother me. That being said he's not even that yet. However he's a good 4th line player. A physical presence that is needed. He is a fan favorite in Nashville and Nashville is in no position to be trading away fan favorites. So as long as he's just getting around 8 or 9 minutes a game. I don't see what all the complaints are for?

crossxcheck 10-15-2007 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbilly (Post 10782822)
He'll never be anything more then a 3rd line player. That doesn't bother me. That being said he's not even that yet. However he's a good 4th line player. A physical presence that is needed. He is a fan favorite in Nashville and Nashville is in no position to be trading away fan favorites. So as long as he's just getting around 8 or 9 minutes a game. I don't see what all the complaints are for?

my complaints are how Trotz mix and matches lines non-stop and you'll see a line of tootoo/arnott/dumont. It's ridiculous. I'm fine with him being a 4th liner that mucks it up, but the idea that he is going to develop his offensive game like scott walker did is not going to happen. He's an agitator and he'll never be anything else. Put him on the ice with hordichuk and smithson for less than 9 minutes a game and be done with it.

hillbilly 10-15-2007 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossxcheck (Post 10782976)
my complaints are how Trotz mix and matches lines non-stop and you'll see a line of tootoo/arnott/dumont. It's ridiculous. I'm fine with him being a 4th liner that mucks it up, but the idea that he is going to develop his offensive game like scott walker did is not going to happen. He's an agitator and he'll never be anything else. Put him on the ice with hordichuk and smithson for less than 9 minutes a game and be done with it.

Then why do you want him traded for something that isn't his fault?

lstcyr 10-15-2007 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossxcheck (Post 10782976)
my complaints are how Trotz mix and matches lines non-stop and you'll see a line of tootoo/arnott/dumont. It's ridiculous. I'm fine with him being a 4th liner that mucks it up, but the idea that he is going to develop his offensive game like scott walker did is not going to happen. He's an agitator and he'll never be anything else. Put him on the ice with hordichuk and smithson for less than 9 minutes a game and be done with it.

And what harm did he do when we were playing so poorly? Seriously.

FanGirl10 10-16-2007 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calhoun (Post 10779570)
Agreed with 4th line minutes but

Its great if the love the guy, but voting him best player, who the hell?


No clue how they do this, but the Rage probably asked 10 people off the street if they could even NAME a Pred. Voila, there you go.

Basher 10-16-2007 03:44 PM

Or their favorite player - I hear that all too often.

jstreet 10-16-2007 10:06 PM

;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Basher (Post 10797790)
Or their favorite player - I hear that all too often.

who else gives you a reason to toot a whistle every time they hit the ice?

Basher 10-16-2007 11:09 PM

toooooooooooooooooooooooootooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Enoch 10-17-2007 07:34 AM

I'm not a fan of Tootoo, and I think his spot on the lineup can be easily replaced.

That said, I think there is definitely a double standard in this league. If you are skilled AND you can hit, well, your just about the best player in the league......media outlets love you......you can do no wrong, etc., etc., etc. However, if you hit hard while residing on the third/fourth line, well then your a scrub that needs to get kicked out of the league.

Take Dion Phaneuf for example. He has delivered some of the nastiest hits the past few years, but is he criticised? No. He is praised. He hits with his shoulder, into the heads of onrushing forwards at least 3-4 times a year, but you do not see people writing essays on why he should be out of the league.

This league doesn't know what it wants to do. It wants hitting to remain, just not to the head, but the rules do not protect the players....it favors the hitters. Until there is a drastic change in the way hitting is approached, these things are fair and legal. Tootoo may be considered a clown by other teams, but there are also 29 other teams in the league that throw hits in the same manner.....don't let their beat writers fool you.

Dr. Fire 10-17-2007 08:03 AM

I think there is a big difference between "hitters" and Tootoo. As a fan of another team, obviously I think Tootoo is a guy that crosses the line way to often. The sad thing is that Tootoo is a good hitter. If it stopped there, I think that he would get way more respect around the league. But, he crosses the line into goonery that totally spoils the good aspects of his game.

Often times fans of other teams will call Hordichuk, or Shelley goons. That is not correct. Those two players are "enforcers" who play within the accepted "codes" of enforcers. They serve a purpose, albeit, a somewhat diminished purpose in today's NHL. I think real fans know this and appreciate their efforts. I have seen Darcy lay some hard hits on guys, but they have almost always been good, clean hits. Tootoo, on the other hand runs around acting like a head hunter. That is the distinction I see between those type players.

Anyway, that is why Tootoo is so despised. As soon as he gets on the ice it isn't if, but when will he try to take somebody's head off.

Finnpin 10-17-2007 01:42 PM

Trade Tootoo and call up Pihlström!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.