HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Warrior AK27 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=430414)

Bunka Gurndeep 10-14-2007 11:16 PM

Warrior AK27

Hey all,

I played my first game with my new stick tonight and all I can say is that it's a lot different than my Easton Stealth (Sakic) that I used to use. I have the Kovalev blade pattern so it's much different than the Sakic pattern I'm used to.

I have much greater stickhandling ability with this stick because it's much shorter than my previous stick. My shooting, however, needs practice now. I used to be able to pick the top shelf/any corner at ease with my Stealth and when I went for the first shot with my Warrior the puck fluttered off the ice :biglaugh:.

I'm pretty sure I just need to get used to the new blade pattern though. Anyone else used one of these sticks?

Qui Gon Dave 10-15-2007 05:15 AM

I've not used the AK27 shaft itself, but I use an Innovative Novius shaft (Warrior bought out Inno on the off chance you don't already know) and have one of the Dolomite Kovalev pattern blades. Been using that combo for almost 2 years now and love it. Every now and again I have a day where my shots pull wide of the net but I think that's cos I lose focus and go for too much power, but most of the time I can hit what I want to hit. At roller hockey training yesterday, I picked the top corner from about 70 feet out with a slapshot :)

It took a little time to adapt to the setup originally but I'm very happy with it these days. Originally my wrist shot kept sailing a over, maybe due to the blade being very open. But I got the knack of it after a little practise.

As for the AK27 shaft, I've heard some people say that it was stiffer than they expected it to be. Did you get the impression that the flex of your stick was what it should be?

Bunka Gurndeep 10-15-2007 11:01 AM

I've heard that it's very stiff as well. I bought the stiffest version (100 flex) but I put alot of weight into my shot to get the power (like Kovy teaches us to use the flexibility of the shaft hahaha). The blade is MUCH more open than my Sakic pattern so I feel it's still going to take some getting used to before I can start sniping again.

WhipNash27 10-15-2007 02:02 PM

I have the AK-27 with the Kovalev blade, it's my favorite stick.

lotus 10-15-2007 02:55 PM

I ALMOST bought a dolomite shaft with a kovy blade, it just looked like a fun pattern. I instead went Synergy ST with Sakic. I always loved the Sakic curve but I still want to try this one out. I'm still deciding between Warrior and TPS for my next stick.

Bunka Gurndeep 10-15-2007 03:05 PM

Going from the Sakic to the Kovalev will definitely take some getting used to...trust me on that! I had a DEADLY shot with the Sakic and the first time I used my Kovalev I am fluttering the puck :biglaugh:

Qui Gon Dave 10-15-2007 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcooke (Post 10781680)
I've heard that it's very stiff as well. I bought the stiffest version (100 flex) but I put alot of weight into my shot to get the power (like Kovy teaches us to use the flexibility of the shaft hahaha). The blade is MUCH more open than my Sakic pattern so I feel it's still going to take some getting used to before I can start sniping again.

I found that working on my snapshot really helped me get a lot out of the Kovalev blade. Where I might wind up a wrist shot before and go for too much power, sending it over, I found my snapshot was more controllable to start with. It's kinda like the Kovalev vid you are on about. I worked on using very little backswing and not much follow through and as long as I avoided angling the top of the blade back too much on the follow through, I found I could pick any spot fairly well. A combination of that and snapshots being easier than wristshots after a wrist injury 18 months ago mean I use the snapshot more often. Not sure if it'll help you any, but it might be a starting point.