HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Need some help: Buying my first pair of skates this week (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=430463)

Nuclear 10-15-2007 04:37 AM

Need some help: Buying my first pair of skates this week

I've been trying to get back in to hockey for awhile now, and I finally decided to buy a new pair of skates to get some practice in. In the past, my feet have always cramped up and went numb from normal skates. With sneakers, Im a 12.5 EE Width (Im 6'2" 190).

Any suggestions for a skate that is under $350 (what I have to spend, I want to get a skate that will last awhile so Im willing to spend more) that's known for a wide foot?

Ive been looking at the Bauer XXV, any opinions on that?

newfish 10-15-2007 06:05 AM

CCM are known to be alittle wider in general, you should try them. Bauer are also quality skates too. If you have a EE foot you will have to order them. Most stores dont carry that many.

brymel 10-15-2007 07:43 AM

Quote:

Ive been looking at the Bauer XXV, any opinions on that?
The pro shop I frequent told me they liked the Bauer XXV's better than the new XXXX's. However what the previous poster said about Bauer's and CCM's is correct. Try also some of the internet sites as they might be a little cheaper. If you want them heat set, that will cost you more if you buy them on line, so you might want to factor that in. Also check out ebay. You might be able to pick up a new pair that is discontinued, such as the Bauer XXXs. Try them all on first and decide which ones feel best.

Bob Clarke Fan Club 10-15-2007 10:12 AM

RBK or Easton...

Easton is pushing out a real light product and will give you a little more width than Bauer. RBK is also a pretty nice boot but has more weight, the durability should be much better though.
The Easton C-8, I believe is around the 350.00 price point. The Vapor's tend to be ok for a wide foot in the EE.

If your shoe size is 12.5 ee be sure to try on a pair of 12 ee's and take into account that they'll loosen and supple with a little heat. Give them 24 hours after the heating before heading out on the ice, can warp some boots depending on the temp when you get to the rink. Good luck, I've been looking and trying on for over a week now. Damn narrow bony feet.:)

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD 10-15-2007 10:58 AM

Kinda OT:

I haven't played in about 4 years so please don't take this the wrong way, but...

Does anybody NOT use Graf skates anymore??

When I used them they treated my feet better than anything Bauer, CCM or at the time Nike produced. It also seemed to help me take longer strides and I was alot stronger on my skates.

Just curious as to why nobody uses them anymore??

-B

FiveThreeEmptyNet 10-16-2007 11:39 AM

I can only speak for Reebok

I have a wide foot and have been very happy with Reebok.

I know your skate is supposed to be a smaller number than your shoe, but it never is like that for me.

I wear a 9 1/2 EEE shoe and a 10 W skate.

RBK3K is very inexpensive, but you can spend more as you move up the ladder toward the 9K. I had a 5K in 10 (but not wide) and had to replace them becuase they were just too narrow for me.

Good luck.

stick9 10-16-2007 02:58 PM

Each brand has it own unique fit. Do yourself a favor and try on a few different brands. Your heart may be set on Bauers, but your feet fit better in CCM's....or vice versa.

The same goes for size. I wear a 6.5 RBK (could use a 6.25 is they made one) but a 7 Graf.

As for weight. Unless you get something with lead holders or concrete soles the difference will be minimal.

For the guy that said his shop said they liked the XXV's over the XXXX's. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they have a crap load of XXV's out back. Just a guess though. ;) Not saying the XXV's are a bad skate.

Buy what fits the best and remember. If they hurt in the store walking around, they will be worse out on the ice.

Grave77digger 10-16-2007 03:01 PM

I bought Mission S500s last year for $100 and they have been great. I went through a pair of Grafs and Bauer 8090s til I found the Missions.

brymel 10-16-2007 05:14 PM

Quote:

For the guy that said his shop said they liked the XXV's over the XXXX's. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they have a crap load of XXV's out back. Just a guess though.
Well actually, I am a girl, and he didn't have the XXV's. It was just his take on the two skates, and as we all know, everyone has a different opinion. We actually went with the new CCM Vector V10. My son absolutely loves them, although he did put up with blisters for a week or so. Very cool looking skates, but also very pricey.

stick9 10-16-2007 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brymel (Post 10798716)
Well actually, I am a girl, and he didn't have the XXV's. It was just his take on the two skates, and as we all know, everyone has a different opinion. We actually went with the new CCM Vector V10. My son absolutely loves them, although he did put up with blisters for a week or so. Very cool looking skates, but also very pricey.

oops so hard to tell that sort of thing.

My bad, I thought the XXV's were the previous boot design. I just saw the price and can see why the guy mentioned them over the XXXX's.

windflare 10-16-2007 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grave77digger (Post 10797303)
I bought Mission S500s last year for $100 and they have been great. I went through a pair of Grafs and Bauer 8090s til I found the Missions.

Wow, you've been spoiled on great skates. The S500 is great, the 8090 is a classic, and Grafs are Grafs.

As for the OP, suggestions would be CCM/RBK, IF your foot is truly wide. However, you should definitely try as many near that price point as you can. The Bauers can fit a wider foot than you'd think. Eastons are not very consistent and are usually quite narrow, but if you can find one that's good in fit, definitely go for it. And if you're one of those lucky guys near stores with Missions... I'd DEFINITELY recommend them. They make some great gear, and their Fuel skates are phenomenal.

Barbara Underhill 10-17-2007 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sm0otHocKeySPeeD (Post 10782264)
Kinda OT:

I haven't played in about 4 years so please don't take this the wrong way, but...

When I used them they treated my feet better than anything Bauer, CCM or at the time Nike produced. It also seemed to help me take longer strides and I was alot stronger on my skates.

-B

Careful... Alot of people still use them, I use them personally. I think you don't see them alot anymore because of the price. Some pro's still use them too.

Also Easton is something I would shy away from, personal opinion here but I've seen guys breaking blades and losing bolts on the blade holders very often. It's not a good system.

stick9 10-18-2007 12:00 PM

Quote:

Kinda OT:

-B

I'd say availability, price and design have held them back a bit.

Grafs have a lot of forward lean. That could be why you felt stronger on your skates and felt like you were taking bigger strides. I felt stronger on my skates when I switched from Graf to RBK. I thought it also improved my balance. Guess the forward lean didn't benefit me.

kingstonmike 10-18-2007 03:32 PM

Quote:

Kinda OT:

-B

I use them and love 'em. They're great skates if you can find a model that fits your foot. In the group of folks that I play pick up with 4 or 5 of us wear Graf's.

Jarick 10-18-2007 03:49 PM

I have Vapor XIX's, the old version of Vapor XXV's. I'm 5'8" 175, been working great for me. I have slightly wide feet and a slightly narrow heel. Just get fit by a good shop and they'll find a skate that works for your feet.

Nuclear 10-19-2007 01:53 AM

Im now looking in to the CCM Vector V8.0. Anyone have any experience with these? My friend with my similar built has these and raves about them. His feet are very wide and likes them so I want to check these out.

donelikedinner 10-20-2007 11:26 PM

buy your skates in the late afternoon or evening because our feet spreadout and widen during the day. don't worry too much about a particular brand as comfort and stability

Ducks 10-21-2007 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuclear (Post 10836949)
Im now looking in to the CCM Vector V8.0. Anyone have any experience with these? My friend with my similar built has these and raves about them. His feet are very wide and likes them so I want to check these out.

I use the 6.0 SE's and like them. They are comfortable and solid. The 8.0's are pretty similar with slightly lighter materials.

TBLfan 10-21-2007 03:21 PM

The widest skates on the market are Eastons and the Flexlite series. Of course you could get a EE width skate and a Supreme or RBK but I'm not a skate shop to find what fits your foot the best. Go and try on some skates.

BTW I wear size 13 in street shoes and a 10.5 NBH Vapor skate.

LilWinger11 10-25-2007 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 10825677)
I have Vapor XIX's, the old version of Vapor XXV's. I'm 5'8" 175, been working great for me. I have slightly wide feet and a slightly narrow heel. Just get fit by a good shop and they'll find a skate that works for your feet.

I have a very similar foot- D width, but B width heel- and I've been really happy with the Vapor VIII. My sneakers are usually a women's 6, and I ended up with a junior 4.5 D skate. I've had them almost a year and they're still in pretty good shape (I'm 5'1", 130ish). I can't overemphasize how important it is to go to a reputable shop where they know how to find the right skate for your particular foot.

bottleCAPS 10-25-2007 02:08 PM

i have an E sized foot and i have some Easton Synergies which are very light and comfy, next pair i look at will probably be a pair of graphs or failing that some RBK pumps.