HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Mike York (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=43066)

#37-#93-#27* 01-11-2004 08:38 PM

Mike York
 
I know this is beating the dead horse but damn I hate Sather.


http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=43048
Quote:

To Edmonton: Simon Gagne, Dennis Seidenberg, LA's 2nd Round Choice
To Philadelphia: Mike York, Doug Lynch, Edmonton's 1st Round Choice
Quote:

Id rather have York than Gagne...
Quote:

There is no point in even bringing up York's name in a proposal.. he has been our best player this year by a wide margin and does not make that much money. There is absolutely no reason to trade him unless we were presented with a massive overpay which is not going to happen..
Quote:

how about no thanks
York= Oilers' MVP
Quote:

I'm willing to bet Lowe wouldn't trade York for Gagne..
Quote:

will bet Lowe would hang up the phone as soon as another GM says the name "Mike York"
Quote:

York isn't just better than Gagne, but he's much, much better. In fact, I would go as far to say that, if I was Edmonton, I wouldn't move York straight up for Joni Pitkanen.

York is perhaps the most underrated man in the league this year. The guy does anything for the team, never quits, works hard, and is very skilled. Rangers fans know what I'm talking about.
Quote:

Chalk me up under the York > Gagne category. He's been just unreal, and I really don't know where they'd be without him (whatever that's worth). The Oilers have a bright future, and I hope he's a huge part of it.
Quote:

York is a key player to the Edmonton Oilers for years to come and Lowe will not trade this guy. He does everything he's asked and then some. He's solid in every aspect of his game and he's the team MVP so far this season. In order for Lowe to trade York, it would have to be the most heavily sided deal in NHL history and of course it would have to be favored towards the Oilers for that to work. York isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
Just read the comments, I can't believe we traded him for a POS like Poti and no Poti lovers, this is not why I hate Poti it's part of why I hate Sather. When the Sather era is over, this is what I'll remember him for.

NYR469 01-12-2004 07:05 AM

those comments are from edmonton fans who are hugely biased in the situation...

one guy said that he wouldn't trade york straight up for pitkanen, well no offense to that guy but he clearly has zero clue when it comes to evaluating hockey talent cause as much as i like mike york, pitkanen is worth 4 yorks and a 1st rounder

Davisian 01-12-2004 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR469
pitkanen is worth 4 yorks and a 1st rounder

Exaggerating the other way, no?

Is a very good young defenseman worth more than a very good two way player? Yes, but it's the NHL, not a vacuum here..

The Oil already have a few good young defenseman, and with the way York plays, and the level he plays at, he is more valuable to the Oil than another young defenseman (albeit one who's better than the current Oil crop of Brewer, Semenov, Woywitka, Lynch, Horachek and Roy)..

The Oilers, and their fans recognize the value of a fast and versatile player like York much better than the Rangers and theirs..

BLACKBURN 01-12-2004 07:15 AM

I wouldnt trade York for Pitkanen, I obviously have no "clue when it comes to evaluating hockey talent" either. A team full of Yorks is a stanley cup contender, he does everything right, he knows what it takes to win. New Jersey is a team with many York like players in terms of guys with good overall skills and big hearts. Im talking about Madden, Friesen, Pandolfo etc. Trading York was one of the worst trades Sathers made and thats saying something.

sickboy35 01-12-2004 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
I wouldnt trade York for Pitkanen, I obviously have no "clue when it comes to evaluating hockey talent" either. A team full of Yorks is a stanley cup contender, he does everything right, he knows what it takes to win. New Jersey is a team with many York like players in terms of guys with good overall skills and big hearts. Im talking about Madden, Friesen, Pandolfo etc. Trading York was one of the worst trades Sathers made and thats saying something.

in the infanmous words of dr.smith, "oh the pain! the pain dear boy!!"

PotiFan03 01-12-2004 10:16 AM

I do have to admit that Poti has been pretty disappointing this season. The York trade wasn't a total loss. It got us Poti and it helped us get Mike Dunham (using Rem Murray). Also we basically got Jussi Markhanen from the Oilers for free (using Leetch). And I think Markhanen is probably more valuable to the Rangers right now than York would be.

As good as York is, where is his team? In last place...

SingnBluesOnBroadway 01-12-2004 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PotiFan03
I do have to admit that Poti has been pretty disappointing this season. The York trade wasn't a total loss. It got us Poti and it helped us get Mike Dunham (using Rem Murray). Also we basically got Jussi Markhanen from the Oilers for free (using Leetch). And I think Markhanen is probably more valuable to the Rangers right now than York would be.

As good as York is, where is his team? In last place...

Markkanen more valuable to the Rangers than York would be? I think you will be hard pressed to find another fan to agree with that statement.

And what does the Oilers being in last place have to do with York alone?

Bluenote13 01-12-2004 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PotiFan03
I do have to admit that Poti has been pretty disappointing this season. The York trade wasn't a total loss. It got us Poti and it helped us get Mike Dunham (using Rem Murray). Also we basically got Jussi Markhanen from the Oilers for free (using Leetch). And I think Markhanen is probably more valuable to the Rangers right now than York would be.

As good as York is, where is his team? In last place...

Eww, you should get flamed on this one, but i'll stay out of it :p

Av-merican 01-12-2004 12:08 PM

Amazing that Slats actually got away with NOT giving up York in exchange for Pavel Bure--I remember a lot of people saying that that was what it would take to wrest the Russian Rocket from Florida. At least then you could say they got a marquee player in return for York. Instead, the Rangers have an overrated offensive defenseman. He was booed out of Edmonton for a reason, folks.

Would the Rangers be contenders with York? Maybe, maybe not. But too often the Rangers stupidly give up the kind of player York is too often--a good, hard-working player with leadership abilities. Leave it to Slats to break up a good thing when he had it. The reason the FLY Line didn't do much in the 2nd half of the season wasn't because of York, it was because of Lindros and Fleury. Both completely disappeared in the latter half of that season. It took Eric up until now to get his game back and Fleury...well, you know what happened there...

Son of Steinbrenner 01-12-2004 01:33 PM

The upside for poti at the time was higher than york. poti has talent but i am not his biggest fan and wouldnt mind him being traded. I hated york when he was here. a horrible second half player. a guy that just cant take 82 games of hockey. lets see how yorks second half is this season!

True Blue 01-12-2004 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jar jar links
The upside for poti at the time was higher than york. poti has talent but i am not his biggest fan and wouldnt mind him being traded. I hated york when he was here. a horrible second half player. a guy that just cant take 82 games of hockey. lets see how yorks second half is this season!

You just knew that as the residend Sather apologist, Glenjar would ride in to the rescue. EVERYONE else acknowledges the Poti/York trade as an utter failure, EXCEPT Glenjar. He won't even admit Sather's fault here. Amazing.

FACEMAN 01-12-2004 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PotiFan03
I do have to admit that Poti has been pretty disappointing this season. The York trade wasn't a total loss. It got us Poti and it helped us get Mike Dunham (using Rem Murray). Also we basically got Jussi Markhanen from the Oilers for free (using Leetch). And I think Markhanen is probably more valuable to the Rangers right now than York would be.

As good as York is, where is his team? In last place...

Poti is disappointing you this year?? Oh his -6 last didn't disappoint you? Oh guess it was the goalies fault or his partners. It doesn't disappoint you that he is a wuss?? He has the longest stick in the league for a reason. He's afraid to go into a corner and get the puck. What elss:

Booed off the Oil
Career minus player
Disappears in the playoffs
Purse Swinger
Can't clear an ant out of the crease

The guy can't hold Yorks jock strap.

Your main argument that we got Jussi is not even valid. The Poti deal has NOTHING to do with JUSSI. So a backup goaltender for the last place Oilers the same team did not want him, is better than their BEST player MIKE YORK?? Ok great argument. Get a shovel because you'll need it to dig yourself out.

Kvashinator12 01-12-2004 02:37 PM

Any
 
player on my roster for York. He is exactly what the Isles are dying for.

dedalus 01-12-2004 03:06 PM

Personally I'm glad York is gone. Just another stupid Neil Smith draft pick that we traded for a GLEN SATHER draft pick!!!!!

And speaking if that, when are we going to get rid of that annoying Jamie Lundmark?

Son of Steinbrenner 01-12-2004 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
You just knew that as the residend Sather apologist, Glenjar would ride in to the rescue. EVERYONE else acknowledges the Poti/York trade as an utter failure, EXCEPT Glenjar. He won't even admit Sather's fault here. Amazing.

Why do i have to agree with you? I said at the time poti was thought to have a higher upside than York? He did! York IS an awful second half player! His stats dont lie. Poti i really am fed up with and would love to trade. At the time of the trade it was a good deal for the Rangers. Did the Rangers make a bad deal? Yes they did. They should have traded York for more than Poti.

nyr5186 01-12-2004 03:35 PM

If you guys remember, it was first rumored that Dvorak would be the one to go to Edmonton for Poti. But then Dvorak blew out his knee, which also was the reason Rucinsky was brought in here. So if Dvorak doesnt blow out his knee, York is still here, Carter isnt traded for, and Malhotra might still be here (although Rucinsky has certainly been one of the bright spots). But really its not wise to use hypotheticals because the guys involved might have been used in other trades.

Just to reminisce about York for a second. I remember his final game as a Ranger. It was a 5-4 loss against Detroit in OT I think. I remember him stepping off the Garden ice for the last time and just praying that this wasnt the last time I'd see him in a Ranger jersey. Unfortunately, that wasnt the case and he was traded the next day.

And why was I not surprised by Glenjar's comments? Next thing we know he'll clame that Sather's system was the key component in the 1980's Oiler dynasty and that Gretzky and Messier were overrated. And let me guess, there are no American soldiers in Baghdad! You will show us. IN ONE HOUR! :shakehead

klingsor 01-12-2004 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dedalus
And speaking if that, when are we going to get rid of that annoying Jamie Lundmark?

"Not soon enough" if I'm Lundmark.

pld459666 01-13-2004 01:41 AM

.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr4life5186
If you guys remember, it was first rumored that Dvorak would be the one to go to Edmonton for Poti. But then Dvorak blew out his knee, which also was the reason Rucinsky was brought in here. So if Dvorak doesnt blow out his knee, York is still here, Carter isnt traded for, and Malhotra might still be here (although Rucinsky has certainly been one of the bright spots). But really its not wise to use hypotheticals because the guys involved might have been used in other trades.

Just to reminisce about York for a second. I remember his final game as a Ranger. It was a 5-4 loss against Detroit in OT I think. I remember him stepping off the Garden ice for the last time and just praying that this wasnt the last time I'd see him in a Ranger jersey. Unfortunately, that wasnt the case and he was traded the next day.

And why was I not surprised by Glenjar's comments? Next thing we know he'll clame that Sather's system was the key component in the 1980's Oiler dynasty and that Gretzky and Messier were overrated. And let me guess, there are no American soldiers in Baghdad! You will show us. IN ONE HOUR! :shakehead


Not for nothing, but York still hasn't shed the 2nd half MIA lable yet.

The 3 years he was in NY the points stopped coming after the new year rang in.

I believe that it's a matter of time before he gets the college season out of his system, but to be honest that should have happened already.

Would I reverse the trade? in a heartbeat but Jar-Jar's comments have some merit.

JR#9* 01-13-2004 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pld459666
Not for nothing, but York still hasn't shed the 2nd half MIA lable yet.

The 3 years he was in NY the points stopped coming after the new year rang in.

I believe that it's a matter of time before he gets the college season out of his system, but to be honest that should have happened already.

Would I reverse the trade? in a heartbeat but Jar-Jar's comments have some merit.

He was doing great in Edmonton last yr and then he broke his wrist and came back to play with it still broken and in a cast.


This is the bottom line on York----Anybody that doesn't see that this guy is a poster boy for everything a hockey player should be is out oif their minds.

The guy does it all and if he were a few inches taller he'd even be at a higher level but even with his size shortcoming NOBODY in the NHL players with a bigger heart nor does anybody give more effeort on the ice---PERIOD!

He is the guy you go to the game and tell you son"just watch what that #16 does.Watch how the feet are constantly moving and everey shift is played like it's his last.THAT is how you play this game!!!!"

And it's not just fans and coaches that see it--the story about how Brooks went to all the players in the tryouts for the 2002 olympics and told the leaders to evealuate him over the next few days and come back with an answer as to whether he was a checker that can score or a scorer that can check and whether or not they wanted him on the team and to give an answer within a few days.

Well within 2 days the leaders on the team including Roenick came back to Herb Brooks and stated that Mike York was both of those roles and that they w/o a doubt wnated him on the squad as he was a "warrior" and the type of player needed on successful teams.

As for the trade it has worked out to be simply brutal and it gets worse by the day.Jar-jar downplaying what he would bring to this yrs NYR squad is a joke.

How many nights have we lacked the energy?You think York would've had an impact on that?You bet your a$$ he would.The guy never took shifts off let alone entire nights.

We lack speed as a team.You think him moving around the ice at 100mph would've helped greatly in this area?Once again it's a no-brainer.Not many guys have this guys wheels and few if any are as effective at getting in on guys on the forecheck and applying pressure, something this team certainly lacks.

And this guys versatility is awesome.Can play any one of the 12 with equal effectiveness and his tenacity would be a godsend in this lineup.Put him on Eric or Bobby's wing and watch the line takeoff.

This is the hockey trade I most regret and get sick about as this guy may have not been a franchise player but he would certainly have been a cornerstone that I would've loved to have around for 10-12-15 yrs in a blueshirt.

Lowe fleeced Slats bottom line.

#37-#93-#27* 01-13-2004 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR469
those comments are from edmonton fans who are hugely biased in the situation...

one guy said that he wouldn't trade york straight up for pitkanen, well no offense to that guy but he clearly has zero clue when it comes to evaluating hockey talent cause as much as i like mike york, pitkanen is worth 4 yorks and a 1st rounder

The ironic part is the person suggesting Pitkanen for York is a <b>Vancouver Canuck fan.</b> Also a admin so I'd think he has a clue. And what does it matter they are extremely bias? A Flyer fan proposed Gagne for York yet they all turned it down and made glowing comments on York as a player.

mugu 01-13-2004 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR469
those comments are from edmonton fans who are hugely biased in the situation...

one guy said that he wouldn't trade york straight up for pitkanen, well no offense to that guy but he clearly has zero clue when it comes to evaluating hockey talent cause as much as i like mike york, pitkanen is worth 4 yorks and a 1st rounder

ummmmm well no how is a 100 goals and a 1st rounder worth one player oh sorry you must be comparnig pitkanen who is excellent no doubt to teh huge overpay that flyers made for lindros scenario

Edge 01-13-2004 01:11 PM

lol being an admin doesnt mean you know much, it just means your very good at not rocking the boat with anyone.

As for york, well i stay by my original stance.

His supporters will always make him better then what he is and his ditractors will always make him less than what he is.

My stance? Somewhere in the middle. He is a heart and soul player and one that is a nice support player, but due to injuries, fatigue, other areas has NEVER done into the second half of the season as an effective player. His guts are admirable but the production just isnt there in the second half.

On that note, i wouldnt have traded york for poti, but i'm also not convinced that york would ever be healthy enough to be a factor when it comes playoff time.

it's kinda like mike gartner. great person, great player but not someone you have as a core player if you're gonna win the cup.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 01-13-2004 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
lol being an admin doesnt mean you know much, it just means your very good at not rocking the boat with anyone.

Damn! Found out at last!
:D

Edge 01-13-2004 01:20 PM

lol, nothing personal.

speaking as a collective whole.

I just remember better days for this site, back before big swinging you know whats came around who had little or not knowledge of the history of the site and it's core.

But i can't complain, it was fun. I'm just ready to explore other things, married in may, new house in june, new job in june, just dont have the time to fight the good fight anymore.

lol so i guess that was my retirement speech. thank you and goodnight. :p

jadeddog 01-16-2004 02:10 PM

hey all, over at the oiler board this thread caught our attention... and i found it an interesting read, so i thought id put my 2 cents in on it

ill start by saying that york has been our MVP this year, and was one of our 3 best players last year as well.... now he *does* trail off a bit at the end of the season (he got 10 points in the last 20 games of the season last year, while that isnt bad, it isnt great either).... this year though he has 6 points in the first 8 games of the new year, so it looks like he might do fairly well in this years 2nd half

now as far as who won the trade... i think that you have to go by which team has gotten the most out of the player, and i dont think there is much argument that york has been better for edmonton than poti has been for NY


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.