HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rumors from Pantherland (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=43084)

Crossbar 01-12-2004 12:22 AM

Rumors from Pantherland

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/h...ports-panthers

Changes coming?

Since ownership committed to the extra payroll if the Panthers would have been able to pull off the Mark Parrish trade last month, it's safe to say that if they can hang in this tight Eastern playoff race leading up to the March 9 trade deadline, General Manager Rick Dudley will be allowed to make changes.

The two areas Dudley would like to address -- faceoffs and the blue line. Dudley especially believes his defensemen are playing too many minutes, so it would not be surprising if he dangled left wingers Kristian Huselius or Niklas Hagman.

Dudley could be eyeing Ottawa's Curtis Leschyshyn, Edmonton's Eric Brewer, the Islanders' Roman Hamrlik or Philadelphia's Chris Therien. As for a faceoff upgrade, Montreal's Yanic Perreault, consistently the best drawman in the NHL, is reportedly available.

McDonald19 01-12-2004 03:09 AM

For faceoffs:

Jason Krog

2002/2003 he won 60.4% of draws last year.

proposal:

Jason Krog and prospect or draft pick

for

Kristian Huselius

HughJass* 01-12-2004 03:19 AM

First of all, you couldn't move Krog even on paper ;)

Second, why would Dudley set his sites on Leschyshyn, Therien, Perreault? I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but it's not news worthy. If he can pick up Leschyshyn and Perreault without giving up hopefuls then I'm down with that. This team is just a veteran or 2 away from getting the younger players to play more consistent.

McDonald19 01-12-2004 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHurricane16
First of all, you couldn't move Krog even on paper ;)

Well if the Panthers are obsessed with improving on faceoffs then Krog is a good option actually.

HughJass* 01-12-2004 05:23 AM

Ok, but I give more credit to Perreault for the ability to do more than Krog. You can find alot of guy good on draws, but some of them can't do jack more. That's Krog.

degroat* 01-12-2004 05:28 AM

Could someone please tell me what the payroll situation is like in Florida? I'm almost positive that attendance is up in Miami and with the report of the increased local ratings, the team is definately getting a better following. Since this it the case, why would he look to move someone like Huselius when they should have a little money in the offseason to spend on a few reasonable vets.

HughJass* 01-12-2004 05:36 AM

Huselius has been noted as being an extremely soft player, and this extreme softness will keep him from greatness. That's the word I heard, but can Panther fans elaborate? Evrytime I watch a Panthers game I barely notice the guy. I notice Byron Ritchie or Craig McDonald far more than I notice Huselius. That's obscene :)

Any time you can trade something everyone else values more than you do, then you make that trade. But, off course, Dudley is a ******. :p

Darth Milbury 01-12-2004 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDonald19
Well if the Panthers are obsessed with improving on faceoffs then Krog is a good option actually.

Yeah, for a fifth or sixth round pick - not Huselius.

Hyped 01-12-2004 06:45 AM

Any of the guys mentioned could be had for a draft pick. It's not a long-term solution, but more of a band-aid for this year. And if it gets them into the playoffs, then it was well worth it. Perreault's price may actually increase a bit the closer it gets to the deadline as he is widely considered the best face-off man in the league and everyone wants one for the playoffs. He'll also give you 20-25 goals a season (given ice time on one of the top two lines). He's buried on Montreal's 4th line right now and I think Montreal fans are just waiting patiently for him to be moved shortly...

Joey24 01-12-2004 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyped
Any of the guys mentioned could be had for a draft pick. It's not a long-term solution, but more of a band-aid for this year. And if it gets them into the playoffs, then it was well worth it. Perreault's price may actually increase a bit the closer it gets to the deadline as he is widely considered the best face-off man in the league and everyone wants one for the playoffs. He'll also give you 20-25 goals a season (given ice time on one of the top two lines). He's buried on Montreal's 4th line right now and I think Montreal fans are just waiting patiently for him to be moved shortly...

A serious question What makes you think Perrault would help a playoff team's top two lines if he's burried on Montreals depth charts to fourth line duties. That is somthing I would like to hear explained.

NFITO 01-12-2004 06:55 AM

Quote:

all these great things being said about Perrault, and he's a player that Montreal is having a really hard time moving...

he's a top faceoff man, and he gets 20 goals a year... but he's also a liability defensively while making $2.8 mill a year, and can't find time playing above a 4th line (hasn't he also been a healthy scratch this year??).

there are obviously huge drawbacks to his game, and in the end not worth the positives he brings... if he was, he wouldn't be burried on the 4th line in Montreal.

Hyped 01-12-2004 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey24
A serious question What makes you think Perrault would help a playoff team's top two lines if he's burried on Montreals depth charts to fourth line duties. That is somthing I would like to hear explained.

It's explained very easily. He's obviously behind Koivu and he's being outplayed by Ribiero this year. That gets you thrown on the 4th line. And it's not as if I said the Habs would be asking for an incredible amount. All I said was a draft pick. If I was a team like Florida, Atlanta, Nashville, etc., he'd be the type of guy I'd go after for a temporary solution to help get my team in the playoffs. Plain and simple...

NFITO 01-12-2004 07:02 AM

Quote:

It's explained very easily. He's obviously behind Koivu and he's being outplayed by Ribiero this year. That gets you thrown on the 4th line. And it's not as if I said the Habs would be asking for an incredible amount. All I said was a draft pick. If I was a team like Florida, Atlanta, Nashville, etc., he'd be the type of guy I'd go after for a temporary solution to help get my team in the playoffs. Plain and simple...

don't think it's that "plain and simple" really...

even though he's a UFA after this year, he's still got half his contract - or $1.4 mill left on it right now... this isn't small change to pay a guy for faceoff ability.

also it's not a given that he could go into any of those teams and outplay their top 2 centers either to get a top 6 spot...

Mike8 01-12-2004 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
don't think it's that "plain and simple" really...

even though he's a UFA after this year, he's still got half his contract - or $1.4 mill left on it right now... this isn't small change to pay a guy for faceoff ability.

also it's not a given that he could go into any of those teams and outplay their top 2 centers either to get a top 6 spot...

The point is that when Perreault is used properly he's an effective player. He will never be an impact player, but he can certainly boost a powerplay, help on faceoffs, and be used as a stopgap player. He is not a bad player for a rebuilding or transitioning team to use for specific areas.

His contract is fairly steep, but he can also provide a good amount of scoring, in the 20-30 goal range when seeing adequate PP time. Any team that's struggling in the faceoff circle, scoring, or on the powerplay should look to his services. Mainly because he can be had cheap, and his contract's up at season's end.

The reason he hasn't cut it in Montreal is because the team is shedding all its stopgap players. Czerkawski, McKay, Audette, Dykhuis, Traverse are more or less gone. Juneau, Perreault, Kilger are on their way out (possibly not Juneau, we'll see). Younger players are taking their roles, and Ribeiro's taken Perreault's role. That doesn't mean Ribeiro's been better than Perreault; just that the team has committed to its youth and its future, which Perreault (being in his 30s) isn't a part of.

Peter Griffin 01-12-2004 07:49 AM

I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Huselius, he looks like he has the talent to be a good offensive player. The Canucks may be an ideal situation as well, with all the Swedes they already have! I'm hesitant about his grit though. He looks like an extremly soft player, may not be the best fit. In any case, if the Panthers are interested in defenseman, what about Marek Malik? He could log quite a bit of minutes for the Panthers and take some pressure off the younger players. He's solid defensively and has great positioning, but isn't very physical, especially for his size(6'5" 235lbs). He could be a top 4 d-man for the Cats. His salary is $1.65 mil and he is signed for the same ammount for next season as well. Don't know if there would be any interest in him though...

Chayos 01-12-2004 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crossbar

Changes coming?

Since ownership committed to the extra payroll if the Panthers would have been able to pull off the Mark Parrish trade last month, it's safe to say that if they can hang in this tight Eastern playoff race leading up to the March 9 trade deadline, General Manager Rick Dudley will be allowed to make changes.

The two areas Dudley would like to address -- faceoffs and the blue line. Dudley especially believes his defensemen are playing too many minutes, so it would not be surprising if he dangled left wingers Kristian Huselius or Niklas Hagman.

Dudley could be eyeing Ottawa's Curtis Leschyshyn, Edmonton's Eric Brewer, the Islanders' Roman Hamrlik or Philadelphia's Chris Therien. As for a faceoff upgrade, Montreal's Yanic Perreault, consistently the best drawman in the NHL, is reportedly available.

Well the Brewer to FLA thing has been doneto death so i think that is a moot point IMO. Panther fans and oiler fans make bad trade partners so maybe just leave it at that.

Heimy 01-12-2004 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chayos1
Well the Brewer to FLA thing has been doneto death so i think that is a moot point IMO. Panther fans and oiler fans make bad trade partners so maybe just leave it at that.

I disagree. I think Florida is exactly the type of club Edmonton can and would deal with. The Panthers have tons of young, talented and affordable players, both on the roster and in their system. The Oil have a history of dealing for those types. They're in opposite conferences so trades don't come back to bite them, at least not directly.

If, IF Brewer is available I'd expect Dudley to be more than a little interested.

McDonald19 01-12-2004 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Yeah, for a fifth or sixth round pick - not Huselius.

ok Krog for a fifth.

Crossbar 01-12-2004 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heimy
I disagree. I think Florida is exactly the type of club Edmonton can and would deal with. The Panthers have tons of young, talented and affordable players, both on the roster and in their system. The Oil have a history of dealing for those types. They're in opposite conferences so trades don't come back to bite them, at least not directly.

If, IF Brewer is available I'd expect Dudley to be more than a little interested.

Me too and since Dudley's job is (reportedly) on the line I think its possible we could even be willing to dangle our 2004 or 2005 1st rounder in a package deal to make an upgrade such as a Brewer.

Poulinsflakjacket 01-12-2004 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crossbar

If he wants Therien I know there are plenty of people in Philly (myself included) that will drive him down to Florida personally.

I won't even ask for gas money.

Mats NAslund 01-12-2004 01:30 PM

Quote:

Further more Perrault has consistently been a 20 to 25 goal scorer in the NHL not to mention the best faceoff man in the league for several years now. Any team looking to make a run in the playoffs would welcome that type of assett. In Montreal he's being asked to defend which is not his forte. With Koivu playing so well and Ribs being so creative out there with his passing abilities Perrault became expendable. He's still a very useful player to team making run or looking for leadership!

PanthersRule96 01-12-2004 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHurricane16
Huselius has been noted as being an extremely soft player, and this extreme softness will keep him from greatness. That's the word I heard, but can Panther fans elaborate? Evrytime I watch a Panthers game I barely notice the guy. I notice Byron Ritchie or Craig McDonald far more than I notice Huselius. That's obscene :)

Any time you can trade something everyone else values more than you do, then you make that trade. But, off course, Dudley is a ******. :p

He can take a hit but opts to avoid them in order to keep his speed up and try to get directly around a guy which doesn't always work. He had a great game vs. CAL and probably won't be moved soon as his value is low. He still shows flashes of brilliance and is a true enigma. Shvidki IMO would be his replacement if traded. With these rumors, and FLA playing EDM tuesday, there could be a deal. BTW, the reason you notice Ritchie and MCD is because they are agressive forecheckers who play an in your face tenacious style. Huselius is a streaky sniper who can come out of nowhere. FLA probably has no interest in a center except for short term. We have Taticek, Stewart, Kreps, Weiss, Kozlov, Jokinen, Ritchie, Nilson, and McDOnald, and Horton all capable at center and Nedorost. That's almost a team full of centers. if we acquired one, it would be a UFA after this year who we could get for a lower level prospect or pick. Huselius still has it in him to regain form.

Taticek, Hagman, Lilja, Trnka, Huselius,are potentialy all avalible. Only Taticek and Huselius really have a lot of value although Hagman could garner a 3rd or 2nd rounder. I think Huselius will stay and I think Dudley likes Taticek as he traded up to get him. Jokinen may find himself somewhere else as part of a package for Brewer.

What about this.

Jokinen and Hagman and a 3rd rounder

for

Brewer and Rita

or

Jokinen and Taticek

for

Brewer and Rita

Another possible deal could be

1rst in 04 and Taticek

for

Brewer and a 2nd

as Dudley has not been able to scout as much, although I think he will trade for a second as he does not have one this year.

Clash* 01-12-2004 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Huselius, he looks like he has the talent to be a good offensive player. The Canucks may be an ideal situation as well, with all the Swedes they already have! I'm hesitant about his grit though. He looks like an extremly soft player, may not be the best fit. In any case, if the Panthers are interested in defenseman, what about Marek Malik? He could log quite a bit of minutes for the Panthers and take some pressure off the younger players. He's solid defensively and has great positioning, but isn't very physical, especially for his size(6'5" 235lbs). He could be a top 4 d-man for the Cats. His salary is $1.65 mil and he is signed for the same ammount for next season as well. Don't know if there would be any interest in him though...

The only defenseman in Vancouver that would interest the Panthers is Bryan Allen. The Panthershave enough gigantic sized, non physical defensemen in their system. They're in need of someone to clear the crease.

FacelessButcher 01-12-2004 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanthersRule
What about this.

Jokinen and Hagman and a 3rd rounder

for

Brewer and Rita

I like this one the best it sounds pretty reasonable to me provided Jokinen can put up similair numbers to his break out season last year, but the points of concern for me are can Jokinen produce given he will take a smaller amount of ice time in Edmonton then what Keenan afforded him and does he need a Keenesque antagonistic personality pushing him hard to be succesful. Now MacT can definetly be antagonistic but lets face it Keenan is the king of getting under players skin and pushing under-achieving big guys to succeed.

Jokinen hasn't been having that great of a year and is currently projected at 45points over 82 games, I would expect a fringe 1st line center/top of the line 2nd line center for Brewer. At 45 points I am not sure he would even class a 2nd line center but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for the most part on account of poor play of his line mates on the left side, the loss of his mentor, and the common slump of young players following a break-out season.

Jokinen first 15 games with Keenan= 0.667 PPG
last 29 games without Keenan= 0.483PPG
81 games played last year = 0.802PPG (I would expect this give or take 0.05PPG if we can get him to play at this level I am for the deal. Also very goal heavy which is good considering Edmonton already has too many play-makers)

P.S. Who would Florida's number #1 and #2 centers be with Jokinen's departure Weiss? Horton? Kozlov?

Peter Griffin 01-12-2004 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
The only defenseman in Vancouver that would interest the Panthers is Bryan Allen. The Panthershave enough gigantic sized, non physical defensemen in their system. They're in need of someone to clear the crease.

What would the Panthers offer for Allen then? Huselius won't get it done and it would likely take a serious overpayment to get Allen. Guess there isn't a good fit...