HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What is Laraque's value?? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=43208)

sensfan18 01-12-2004 11:38 AM

What is Laraque's value??

There has been alot of talk of late about the sens being very interested in Laraque and I would like to get some outside opinion (non-sens fans, non-oil fans) on his worth. Is he worth a decent prospect, a top prospect, a 2nd rounder, a core player....and so on.

Sens fans and Oil fans, feel free to weigh in also, I just want to see what fans without ties to either team think.

BrianBurke 01-12-2004 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sensfan18
There has been alot of talk of late about the sens being very interested in Laraque and I would like to get some outside opinion (non-sens fans, non-oil fans) on his worth. Is he worth a decent prospect, a top prospect, a 2nd rounder, a core player....and so on.

Sens fans and Oil fans, feel free to weigh in also, I just want to see what fans without ties to either team think.

I think for what he offers, a good 2nd rounder or mid-level prospect is fair return. Big George has some flashes of brilliance cycling and doing the spade work down low. And if he can start throwing 'em again, he can be a very useful player. The only thing I'm concerned with is Laracque apparently contracting a bad case of Donald Brashear syndrome. Does he still fight?

oilfan39 01-12-2004 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianBurke
I think for what he offers, a good 2nd rounder or mid-level prospect is fair return. Big George has some flashes of brilliance cycling and doing the spade work down low. And if he can start throwing 'em again, he can be a very useful player. The only thing I'm concerned with is Laracque apparently contracting a bad case of Donald Brashear syndrome. Does he still fight?

Nah. Brashear Syndrome involves an unwillingness to fight, to egg on the opponent to no end, and thus eventually be clubbed over the back of the head.

I don't think Georges gets as many requests as Donald does.

But I do agree that Georges can be terrific down low and along the boards. I wouldn't say he's the puck carrying type.

officeglen 01-12-2004 02:09 PM

Big George, small icetime. 4 sitouts, and then:
Saturday: 2:43 minutes of ice time.
Sunday: 1:55 minutes of ice time.
Posts in this thread before this one: 3
Contract: 3 years at $1.4+ a season, starting at this season.
Value: A draft pick (late 2nd, early 3rd) and so-so prospect if Laraque would likely return to some acceptable 4th line form for another team (and of course more if one thinks he can handle 3rd line wreck havoc duty), but if this is not a coach-player feud, andi instead Big George has big "problems", then nobody is taking him on (pun intended) and his value is dust.

Bicycle Repairman 01-12-2004 02:19 PM

Georges Laraque, in either as a tough guy or fourth-line checkers role, gets paid way too much. I hardly think he would fetch more than perhaps a seventh rounder.

Slats432 01-12-2004 02:26 PM

Always take a Calgary Flames' fan's opinion when talking about the value of Oilers players. That way you will get the most accurate answer. http://www.gsfcc.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/drinkin.gif

Rhett4 01-12-2004 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slats432
Always take a Calgary Flames' fan's opinion when talking about the value of Oilers players. That way you will get the most accurate answer. http://www.gsfcc.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/drinkin.gif

I've always liked Laraque and thought that he was worth a lot more than any other tough guy in the league because he was the premier enforcer. I thought that alone made him something special.

That's hardly the case anymore. His lack of willingness to fight, even when it's sorely needed, turns him into just a big body. From what I've seen and heard, he plays uninterested. A big guy that can forecheck some and play a couple minutes is not worth what he gets paid. That price tag, given what he does now that he's foresaken his enforcer duties, drops his value significantly.

I wouldn't drop more than a 3rd on him.

membleypeg 01-12-2004 02:34 PM

Quote:

Big George has more value than many give him credit for. Bob Clark alone, would probably dish up alot more than a second.

If you're wondering what the Sens would be giving back to Edmonton, then I would guess Rachunek. The oil are short on the back end, and may be dealing Jason Smith at the deadline.

OilerMania83 01-12-2004 02:35 PM

???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicycle Repairman
Georges Laraque, in either as a tough guy or fourth-line checkers role, gets paid way too much. I hardly think he would fetch more than perhaps a seventh rounder.

A 4th for Jason Smith and a 7th for Laraque...

Bicycle Repairman 01-12-2004 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OilerMania83
A 4th for Jason Smith and a 7th for Laraque...

That is correct.

You also need to factor in Big Georges' various public statements regarding his distain for being traded to another city, which brings up possible early retirement. Not many teams would want to touch a player like that. He's virtually untradable if that's the case.

Ozy_Flame 01-12-2004 02:51 PM

Quote:

Always take a Calgary Flames' fan's opinion when talking about the value of Oilers players. That way you will get the most accurate answer.

I'm not so sure BR is your prototypical Flames fan. We don't call him evil Lanny for nothin'!

officeglen 01-12-2004 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by membleypeg
If you're wondering what the Sens would be giving back to Edmonton, then I would guess Rachunek.

Then you would guess wrong. Mucks has already stated he is not trading any of his young starting D, regardless, in this case, of Oil needs.

Spezza 01-12-2004 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by membleypeg
Big George has more value than many give him credit for. Bob Clark alone, would probably dish up alot more than a second.

If you're wondering what the Sens would be giving back to Edmonton, then I would guess Rachunek. The oil are short on the back end, and may be dealing Jason Smith at the deadline.

From an Ottawa standpoint, I doubt Rachunek would be dealt. Would hurt the top 4 too much.

Comparable deal would be the Worrell deal, which is hard to judge because of Neodorst and the Florida's 2nd being involved.

Brad May might be another comparable player.

I think a 2nd at the deadline might be possible from a 'contender'.

Ozy_Flame 01-12-2004 03:11 PM

Yep, I would say a second rounder. We all know what he is capable of, so any doubts about him are generally in response to his sub-par play lately.

Hydroponic Harold 01-12-2004 03:18 PM

I think Georges has more "value" to the Oilers than any other team ..keep him ..he will get his s%#t together someday and will be a dominant force .
Definitely no Brashear syndrome here ..he will drop em anytime and with anyone ..thing is everyone fears him ..he punishes when he fights .

Maybe if he curtailed his street hockey games and radio shows and put his energies where they should be ...he will be the playoff Georges .

oilers_guy_eddie 01-12-2004 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydroponic Harold
Maybe if he curtailed his street hockey games and radio shows and put his energies where they should be ...he will be the playoff Georges .

Playoff Georges only shows up when the planets are in line. He just doesn't seem to have the demeanor to be that guy unless he's mad enough. I'd like to see him on a contender. Maybe a long playoff run would clue him in on how to find the intensity more often. Or maybe some veteran guidance. I dunno. Whatever it's going to take for Georges to get to where he could be, I don't think it's ever going to happen in Edmonton.

Jeffrey 01-12-2004 07:42 PM

I'll give hossa and a 3rd pick for him ... too bad he dont want to play for us .. :rolly: :cry:

The Rage 01-12-2004 08:05 PM

I want to preface this by saying I'm an Oiler fan.

However, I think alot of people need to realize that Georges' recent bad play is probably due to the fact that his comfort level is too high. If he was traded, I think he'd return to the old Georges (I think these trade rumours might also return him to the old Georges). Complacency is common for fighters who have been with one team too long. And make sure of one thing: don't confuse Georges lack of fighting for lack of willingness to fight. Georges ALWAYS goes when someone asks him to. The problem is no one asks him to. And when you have BY FAR the worst penalty killing in the league, you don't want to take an instigator.

The Rage 01-12-2004 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicycle Repairman
That is correct.

You also need to factor in Big Georges' various public statements regarding his distain for being traded to another city, which brings up possible early retirement. Not many teams would want to touch a player like that. He's virtually untradable if that's the case.

I think Georges was exaggerating a little (and I think he has said so himself). He loves the city and fans, and he'll be depressed if he has to go, but he'll get over it.

officeglen 01-12-2004 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rage
I want to preface this by saying I'm an Oiler fan.

However, I think alot of people need to realize that Georges' recent bad play is probably due to the fact that his comfart level is too high.

I understand that's why nobody goes near him - his comfart level is too high ;)

The Rage 01-12-2004 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by officeglen
I understand that's why nobody goes near him - his comfart level is too high ;)

:lol: I need to learn how to type.

Chayos 01-12-2004 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kryoptix
I'll give hossa and a 3rd pick for him ... too bad he dont want to play for us .. :rolly: :cry:

I think EDM would actually do that deal. Sure we get yet another LW, but the pick give us a chance at another player, and Hossa might be effective for us.

Ironchef Chris Wok* 01-13-2004 12:55 AM

Laraque can still beat the living krap out of anybody in the league.

I'd refer to the Worrell trade.

MXPX 01-13-2004 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kryoptix

Replace Hossa by you and everythigs will be fine.
:joker:

Slats432 01-13-2004 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MXPX
Replace Hossa by you and everythigs will be fine.
:joker:

Say what? :joker: