HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Shoulder pain? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=432125)

lotus 10-19-2007 06:16 AM

Shoulder pain?

I have a lot of stiffness and soreness in my left shoulder. It arose yesterday (which was a day after a game) and it wasn't very bad. Today now, it's very stiff and it hurts my shoulder to raise my arm to an even level with my shoulder.

I have been taking a lot more slap shots recently, and I shoot left. Could my form be off or something?

And should I be worried? Take the week off from anything strenuous?

I've heard horror stories about people with minor injuries, not realizing it so they keep going, and then end up tearing something and are out the whole year. So, better safe than sorry I figure and I should ask around.

also note I have not been weight training. Though I really should and plan to be.

vivianmb 10-19-2007 07:17 AM

i wrecked my throwing shoulder in 2003. stepped on the goalies stick at top speed,and hit the boards( he tried to poke check my breakaway). dislocated AND seperated. 4 months of re-hab.( i still think they should have fixed it with surgery, but i lived in the us then. up here it would've been fixed right.)i cant really throw that good anymore.and the stiff stick i use doesnt help when i shoot.
i recommend a stick with more flex. let the stick absorb the impact.

Crosbyfan 10-19-2007 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lotus (Post 10837484)
I have a lot of stiffness and soreness in my left shoulder. It arose yesterday (which was a day after a game) and it wasn't very bad. Today now, it's very stiff and it hurts my shoulder to raise my arm to an even level with my shoulder.

I have been taking a lot more slap shots recently, and I shoot left. Could my form be off or something?

And should I be worried? Take the week off from anything strenuous?

I've heard horror stories about people with minor injuries, not realizing it so they keep going, and then end up tearing something and are out the whole year. So, better safe than sorry I figure and I should ask around.

also note I have not been weight training. Though I really should and plan to be.

Rest (reduce slapshts especially the wind up) and ice it 10-15 minutes right after you come off thee ice and again after it warms up (by itself) after at least 45 minutes, as often as you like. Anti inflammatories may help. But lay off it/ease up on it for a while depending on the severity.

Also warm it up slowly before you use it.

McNasty 10-19-2007 12:51 PM

Is it just soreness and stiffness afterwards, is there any pain or discomfort while your shooting? if it's the latter take some time off otherwise just warm it up and ice it like Crosbyfan said and you will be fine

lotus 10-19-2007 01:01 PM

Well, i realized when i elevate my elbow to about head height, and then lower my arm, i get a slightly annoying "click" sound / feeling in my shoulder, kind of like a hip flexor issue I had a while back.

I'm not sure if it interferes with my shot since I haven't been on the ice since it started bothering me. The pain however seems to come when moving my arm in an upward motion, so I wouldn't think that would hurt it.

My windup on my slapshot definitely is larger than I want it to be. I know for a fact my form isn't great, so I'd like to improve it and figured it may be the cause of this.

It's more stiff and sore than painful. I wouldn't even say it hurts, it's just a nagging, really really annoying feeling. I guess I confused that with pain. It sure as hell pisses me off though.

The soreness and stiffness has gotten better through the day, so I may have overreacted.

Ti-girl 10-19-2007 01:28 PM

Well, I'll ask you the same thing I ask my athletes.

Is it sore or is it hurt?

I had a "sore" shoulder that actually ended up being a "hurt" one. While I thought I was doing myself a favour by not complaining and taking a rest, I ended up effing it up even more.

Use the RICE method.

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevate

If it gets any worse, see a doctor or chiropractor. It could be a RSI (repetative stress injury) or it could be something like tendonitis.

PS: Now my shoulder is like ground beef. There is no tendons or ligaments holding it together and surgery is inevitable. I have to wear a brace on it when I play any type of sports and I've seperated it about 15 times since the injury and dislocated it even more. Its not worth it.

Ti-girl 10-19-2007 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lotus (Post 10837484)

Case right here.

McNasty 10-19-2007 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lotus (Post 10841208)
Well, i realized when i elevate my elbow to about head height, and then lower my arm, i get a slightly annoying "click" sound / feeling in my shoulder, kind of like a hip flexor issue I had a while back.

I'm not sure if it interferes with my shot since I haven't been on the ice since it started bothering me. The pain however seems to come when moving my arm in an upward motion, so I wouldn't think that would hurt it.

My windup on my slapshot definitely is larger than I want it to be. I know for a fact my form isn't great, so I'd like to improve it and figured it may be the cause of this.

It's more stiff and sore than painful. I wouldn't even say it hurts, it's just a nagging, really really annoying feeling. I guess I confused that with pain. It sure as hell pisses me off though.

The soreness and stiffness has gotten better through the day, so I may have overreacted.

Well what happens to me is when I rotate it backwards my shoulder blade actually grinds because I dislocated it so bad, I just popped it back in and assumed everything would be fine. Now I have ligament damage and I will eventually need surgery. I would definitely take it easy and would consult a doctor

lotus 10-19-2007 05:24 PM

Yeah I'm taking the entire weekend off of hockey. Will probably play Monday though, unless it has not gotten much better. In which case I will go to a doctor.

I have two concerns right now:

1) What is the click in my shoulder? What does / could it mean?

2) What could have caused this? I feel like I actually might have done the same thing last year, only it was a lot worse than this. Remembering this is what scares me, that its a similar feeling. Though then it was pain, definitely pain, now it is soreness with a click.

Thanks a lot everyone, I'd die if I had a major injury. Hockey is my life right now next to the GF and inevitable school work.

The n00b King * 10-19-2007 07:48 PM

could be your rotator cuff

i've got this issue too (although it doesnt click)

i cant lie on my left side because of the pain.

if it hurts the same amount after at least a week, go see a doctor (or at least a physio therapist)

MikeD 10-20-2007 08:57 AM

in amny cases, the click is simply a tendon/lig that is pulling over a boney protrusion. When you bend the arm it clicks as it pops over that protrusion. The injury could be from something as minor as falling onto that shoulder or delivery of a check. GO TO THE DOCTOR.

No swelling in hte area? Forget ice and use moist heat wraps. Get a towel damp(not dripping) and microwave it. Wrap that hot towel in another dry to prevent burns. Increase blood flow to the area will speed healing. Try to limit use of the shoulder.

vivianmb 10-20-2007 10:47 AM

i get the click in my hip where my right leg connects to it. if i lift my right leg to 90 degrees it clicks. welcome to getting old. soon we'll trade you for an old puck bag;)

lotus 10-20-2007 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeD (Post 10850771)
in amny cases, the click is simply a tendon/lig that is pulling over a boney protrusion. When you bend the arm it clicks as it pops over that protrusion. The injury could be from something as minor as falling onto that shoulder or delivery of a check. GO TO THE DOCTOR.

No swelling in hte area? Forget ice and use moist heat wraps. Get a towel damp(not dripping) and microwave it. Wrap that hot towel in another dry to prevent burns. Increase blood flow to the area will speed healing. Try to limit use of the shoulder.

MikeD you're always full of such great information =D

The moist heat wrap idea sounds remarkably soothing, I'll have to try that one day.

Today the shoulder is not sore or stiff at all really, I would say the feeling is 95% gone. I still get the click but only if I raise my elbow well above head height and keep the elbow facing out (to my left).

I'll give it one more day before I decide to go to the doctor. That or if it happens again, or someone seriously suggests I still go despite the chance of it being 100% fine (feeling) tomorrow.