HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Carter (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=43301)

nyr5186 01-12-2004 04:06 PM

Carter
 
In 37 games, he has 8 goals and 6 assists, and a -9 rating. IMO, he's been the biggest Ranger dissapointment this year. Sure Kovalev isnt scoring goals, but he's involved seemingly every game and has racked up a bunch of assists. Hlavac and Nedved have at least shown effort. Carter on the other hand is invisible every game and has done nothing but hurt his team on both ends of the ice. Im really surprised he hasnt been criticized more.

What do you think his problem is? Is it linemates? Is it just that he's out of shape? Or has he just settled into the Garden Retirement Home like so many past Rangers have? I cant figure it out. He's not even close to the player he was in Edmonton and Boston. What should Sather do with him? I prefer benching, but obviously Sather doesnt think that accomplishes anything (unless you're under 26). He'd rather just wait out the season and blindly hope that he turns it around on his own. :mad:

klingsor 01-12-2004 04:13 PM

I think he put on weight to play in the physical East. He's lost some quickness and doesn't really look any stronger.

I know Alex has struggled on the point, but I find it hard to believe Sather's using Carter there.

ihatenewjersey 01-12-2004 04:13 PM

sorry to turn this into a kovaletdown thread but, kovalev had played 5 more games than carter and gets appox 5 more minutes of ice time a game and has less goals than carter, kovalev's a bum

almost forgot kovalev leads all our forwards w/ ice time

klingsor 01-12-2004 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihatenewjersey
sorry to turn this into a kovaletdown thread but, kovalev had played 5 more games than carter and gets appox 5 more minutes of ice time a game and has less goals than carter, kovalev's a bum

almost forgot kovalev leads all our forwards w/ ice time

You also forgot to mention that he leads the team in scoring.

I realize that's irrelevant because he's paid to score goals and he hasn't done that. Therefore, he is unquestionably a bum. Certainly not as good as Carter or Hlavac for that matter.

Brooklyn Ranger 01-12-2004 05:47 PM

I think Carter has shown a lot of effort (except for the first couple of games). He just seems slightly out of synch. Maybe it's the weight he put on, maybe he's just not in the right groove, it's hard to tell. But it appears that he's just a little slower than last year. It's probably time to try him with Lindros again.

ihatenewjersey 01-13-2004 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klingsor
You also forgot to mention that he leads the team in scoring.

I realize that's irrelevant because he's paid to score goals and he hasn't done that. Therefore, he is unquestionably a bum. Certainly not as good as Carter or Hlavac for that matter.

kovalev doesn't it make it look like hes trying, he skates around w/ his head up his a$$

pld459666 01-13-2004 03:34 AM

.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by klingsor
I think he put on weight to play in the physical East. He's lost some quickness and doesn't really look any stronger.

I know Alex has struggled on the point, but I find it hard to believe Sather's using Carter there.


Carter was used on the Point in Edm and it worked.

He has a heavy shot from the point, and it's normally accurate.


As a whole I don't think that this team works as hard as they should. Even in the games they win I always feel like they get outworked and that their talent is what gets them b in certain situations.

In Edm, the guys that Carter played with worked very very hard and he was able to cash in on that work. He's not been playing with that same type of player which leaves him to his own devices and exposes him as a medicore player which is what most Edmonton Fans have been calling him since well before the trade.

There's some occassions where he can actually stickhandle through the defence, but this is the NHL and those defenceman can and usually do recover enough to block any real scoring threat.

Carter is a garbage goal guy and if the garbage is not there to take out, he's going to suffer from it.

kazo 01-13-2004 05:19 AM

Carter has always been known as a floater who works when the mood strikes him which, in NY, has not been very often.

Bluenote13 01-13-2004 05:25 AM

Yeah he can play pointm on the PP, but did you see the game Sunday, he passed on every oppurtunity to shoot from the point, the same old same old on this team. Every player tries to be too fancy, each guy tries not to look selfish,they never shoot.

Edge 01-13-2004 01:06 PM

Carter is playing EXACTLY the way he did in emonton, the ONLY difference is he is not playing on the top line and so his many weaknesses arent hidden.

You project his numbers and it comes close to 20 goals and 40 points over an 82 game season. many come in spurts. that's about right for anson, the only difference was the in edmonton he could get away with that crap, here he really can't.

this is exactly why i wasnt thrilled when he came here in the first place.

Bruwinz37 01-14-2004 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
Carter is playing EXACTLY the way he did in emonton, the ONLY difference is he is not playing on the top line and so his many weaknesses arent hidden.

You project his numbers and it comes close to 20 goals and 40 points over an 82 game season. many come in spurts. that's about right for anson, the only difference was the in edmonton he could get away with that crap, here he really can't.

this is exactly why i wasnt thrilled when he came here in the first place.

Exactly the way he was in Edmonton....in Boston....and round and round we all go. Bottom line...he sucks because he doesnt try....yet is always a holdout. He is just worse this year than in others...but same MO.

I am glad we dont have to deal with this egotistical SOB anymore. Good riddance to him and good luck trading the overrated piece of garbage.

dem 01-14-2004 11:01 AM

I got this from the Oilers board...
Stats since the trade. A little funny.. or sad.. you decide :p

CARTER...49-9-10-19, 18 PIM, -10, 74 SOG, 12.2% shooting
CROSS....48-8-11-19, 46 PIM, +10, 64 SOG, 12.5% shooting

Davisian 01-14-2004 11:09 AM

Cross
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dem
I got this from the Oilers board...
Stats since the trade. A little funny.. or sad.. you decide :p

CARTER...49-9-10-19, 18 PIM, -10, 74 SOG, 12.2% shooting
CROSS....48-8-11-19, 46 PIM, +10, 64 SOG, 12.5% shooting

Not to mention that Kasparaitis is just now rounding into form after losing Cross as the best match for his partner..

AND

While his offense was atrocious here, Dvorak's speed is SORELY missed, and yet to be replaced..

JR#9* 01-14-2004 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davisian
Not to mention that Kasparaitis is just now rounding into form after losing Cross as the best match for his partner..

AND

While his offense was atrocious here, Dvorak's speed is SORELY missed, and yet to be replaced..

Both great points Davisian and at this point I'm sure everybody would like to undue the 2 Edmonton trades which have turned out to be total debacles IMO.

Dvorak's speed along with York's are sorely missed and was never replaced and is probrably our biggest weakness after the inconsistency.

And Cross was a good fit, make that a great fit w/Darius on the 3rd pair.

tony 01-14-2004 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davisian
Not to mention that Kasparaitis is just now rounding into form after losing Cross as the best match for his partner..

AND

While his offense was atrocious here, Dvorak's speed is SORELY missed, and yet to be replaced..

his offensive in edmonton, dvorak's that is, continues to be atrocious. 7 18 25 in 44 games. somethin' tell me he'd be just as disappointing here as carter except he'd do it at a higher tempo.

Davisian 01-14-2004 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony
his offensive in edmonton, dvorak's that is, continues to be atrocious. 7 18 25 in 44 games. somethin' tell me he'd be just as disappointing here as carter except he'd do it at a higher tempo.

Which would be fine as long as he continued to kill penalties well and let his speed create some room.. I think he's miscast as an offensive player, he's a defensive player who can occasionaly put up a few points..

JR#9* 01-14-2004 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony
his offensive in edmonton, dvorak's that is, continues to be atrocious. 7 18 25 in 44 games. somethin' tell me he'd be just as disappointing here as carter except he'd do it at a higher tempo.

Dvorak has played well and competed very hard out there and was generating scoring chances but not burying them.The guy isn't a natuaral finisher but he is a good 2-way player who's speed would be a great addition to the NYR's as that is one of if not their biggest shortcoming.

And 7-18-25 in 44 games are better than what Anson has given us not to mention that Anson has displayed zero chemistry with any of our centers and Devo-Nedved would be more effective on a line togther then Carter-Nedved currently are.

Barnaby 01-14-2004 12:49 PM

At first I felt that we overrated Carter, but the trade was still a good move. I figured he'd come in and put up 25 goals, throw some solid hits and be a complete player. The epitome of a nice second line winger. Unfortunately I am at the point where I think Dvorak could have given us more. At least he could kill penalties and create some extra room for Nedved with his speed. I would definately test the market for Carter and if I could get fair market value for him then I would make the move. There are plenty of teams out there looking for an affordable offensive winger. For instance, I think he could do very well with a team like Atlanta or send him back west. I would look for a young player like the Ducks could offer, or a stay-at-home d-man thats not too old. Carter is just not a good fit here... he is giving us NOTHING.

Mowzie 01-14-2004 03:05 PM

Dvorak's stats dont do him justice. he struggled early due to the fact that his wife has their baby pre-maturely, so the first part f the season was difficult and you could tell on the ice that he was having problems. since then though, hes been amazing, he does it all, consistently, and has great chemistry with Torres and York on our top line. Cross who at the time seemed like a throw in has been solid in Edmonton since his arrival and is on pace for a career year in about every offensive catergory, while still doing the job defensively.

The Rangers are career killers, right now, you could offer Poti and Carter for York and I would tell you to through in your 1st rounder. same goes for Dvo. The Rangers mgmt have created a fantasy league, like some sort of ultimate hockey pool team, but chemistry cant be found on paper, its found on the ice. You better hope Messier doesnt break a hip.

#37-#93-#27* 01-14-2004 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mowzie
Dvorak's stats dont do him justice. he struggled early due to the fact that his wife has their baby pre-maturely, so the first part f the season was difficult and you could tell on the ice that he was having problems. since then though, hes been amazing, he does it all, consistently, and has great chemistry with Torres and York on our top line. Cross who at the time seemed like a throw in has been solid in Edmonton since his arrival and is on pace for a career year in about every offensive catergory, while still doing the job defensively.

The Rangers are career killers, right now, you could offer Poti and Carter for York and I would tell you to through in your 1st rounder. same goes for Dvo. The Rangers mgmt have created a fantasy league, like some sort of ultimate hockey pool team, but chemistry cant be found on paper, its found on the ice. You better hope Messier doesnt break a hip.

It's just by accident that Poti and Dvorak had their best seasons on the Rangers. You offered up facts to support your claims and sound logic, thanks for stopping by.

Funny how there are still excuses for Dvo, reminds me of last year.

The Rage 01-14-2004 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
It's just by accident that Poti and Dvorak had their best seasons on the Rangers. You offered up facts to support your claims and sound logic, thanks for stopping by.

Funny how there are still excuses for Dvo, reminds me of last year.

Last year did D-vo's new born son had to spend a month in hospital after he was born? Get real, D-vo has had to face some very tough cirumstances this year and has come through with flying colours. He's been our second best forward (behind York). His numbers haven't been their, but he provides all the intangibles. He's a great player. Fire Sather.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 01-14-2004 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mowzie
Dvorak's stats dont do him justice. he struggled early due to the fact that his wife has their baby pre-maturely, so the first part f the season was difficult and you could tell on the ice that he was having problems. since then though, hes been amazing, he does it all, consistently, and has great chemistry with Torres and York on our top line. Cross who at the time seemed like a throw in has been solid in Edmonton since his arrival and is on pace for a career year in about every offensive catergory, while still doing the job defensively.

The Rangers are career killers, right now, you could offer Poti and Carter for York and I would tell you to through in your 1st rounder. same goes for Dvo. The Rangers mgmt have created a fantasy league, like some sort of ultimate hockey pool team, but chemistry cant be found on paper, its found on the ice. You better hope Messier doesnt break a hip.

Really classy Messier comment. Thanks for that.

While I don't doubt that having child born prematurely was not easy on Dvorak, it does not explain his lack of production for the three seasons.

And if the Rangers chemistry is bad, it must be equally bad with the Oilers. They have 3 fewer points than the Rangers do.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 01-14-2004 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rage
Last year D-vo's new born son had to spend a month in hospital after he was born? Get real, D-vo has had to face some very tough cirumstances this year and has come through with flying colours. He's been our second best forward (behind York). His numbers haven't been their, but he provides all the intangibles. He's a great player. Fire Sather.

Again whatever tough times Dvorak has had in Edmonton it does not explain the previous three seasons. Maybe, just maybe, the 30 goal, 60 point season was the exception not the rule. Intangibles are nice. But so are goals.

The Rage 01-14-2004 06:38 PM

The Torres-York-Dvorak line is the only thing keeping us from being where the likes of Chicago are now. That line is getting results, and Dvorak is an integral part of that line. Why does Dvorak himself not get results? I honestly can't explain that, but his hard work and speed get the other two going, and those two are the ones who are racking up the goals. Either way, our team is getting goals as a result of Dvorak's work.

Ronnie Bass 01-14-2004 07:05 PM

I've never ever been a big fan of Carter, always thought he was overrated, can't remember who he got traded for (Dvorak?) but I do recall thinking when I heard the Rangers got him "Oh yeah this ain't going to work.".


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.