HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Have Habs Fortune changed?? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=43448)

Habs4ever 01-13-2004 07:33 AM

Have Habs Fortune changed??

If you remember in 98 we didn't have many players with much potential even our best player in Recchi was having an brutal season and look at us now We get string of great players in later rounds!

Why couldn't we find any Gem before 98, Since 98 we have found great talent without giving up much in return, things that went right for Les Boys are.

1) Ward was left unprotected but went unclaimed last year in Waiver Draft
2) Garon was put on Waivers but went unclaimed.
3) Souray Was picked up for UFA in Malakhov.
4) Zednik Bulis and Perezhogin were pickedup for Linden and Zubrus.
5) Got Ryder in 9th round
6) Got Markov in 6th Round
7) Got Balej in 3rd Round.
8) Briseboise has taken 180 degree turn
9) Ribeiro was almost lost if he hadn't performed this year he would have been on waivers and lost to other team.
10) Theodore playing like two years ago.
11) Our coaching staff knows what its doing, CJ has really turned this organization around!!

My question to you guys is if all of our guys play to their full potential could we make noise this year, I mean what if Markov starts dominating like last year, even Minnesotta and Anaheim went great distance last year, could this be miracle year for us, as from looks of things we have very good attack and defence in place with unbelievable special unit effort we've been getting as of late.

Guy Caballero 01-13-2004 07:42 AM

That's all good stuff, and while I'd have no objection to a Cinderalla run this year, I'm much more looking forward to the day when we are mentioned in the same breath as New Jersey, Philly, and Ottawa in the East. In other words, when we are the frontrunners for the Cup, not the outside upset pick.

Wildbeliefs 01-13-2004 07:45 AM

I really don't think Markov will do any dominating this year... he really seems off. And as bad as this sounds, I kinda like the fact that he's not playing right now: Komi gets some icetime.

But anyhoo, as for a playoff run: before the season started, I told my buddy that this team had some similar elements to the '93 team and it could possibly surprise in the PO. I started losing faith at the beginning of the season, but as it stands now, I'm sticking to my initial statement. Not to say that they'll win the cup, but they're playing as a team and could easily pull a Minnesota, IMO.

Guy Caballero 01-13-2004 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildbeliefs
I really don't think Markov will do any dominating this year... he really seems off. And as bad as this sounds, I kinda like the fact that he's not playing right now: Komi gets some icetime.

But anyhoo, as for a playoff run: before the season started, I told my buddy that this team had some similar elements to the '93 team and it could possibly surprise in the PO. I started losing faith at the beginning of the season, but as it stands now, I'm sticking to my initial statement. Not to say that they'll win the cup, but they're playing as a team and could easily pull a Minnesota, IMO.

With Theo, the sky's the limit. If he got hot, he could singlehandedly beat Philly or Toronto--even Ottawa. It's nice to know we have that potential ace in the hole, but we can never rely on it. That's what Buffalo did, and they collapsed when Hasek left.

Wildbeliefs 01-13-2004 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
With Theo, the sky's the limit. If he got hot, he could singlehandedly beat Philly or Toronto--even Ottawa. It's nice to know we have that potential ace in the hole, but we can never rely on it. That's what Buffalo did, and they collapsed when Hasek left.

Hmmm.. not sure about Ottawa... :p

Yeah, it's definitely great to have a potential game-stealing goalie. But I don't think we need to just rely on that... it seems to me that we have a lot of good PO performers on the team, or if you will, a lot of character players. And although he's a rookie, I think Ryder would do very well in the POs since he plays with a lot of grit.

RE-HABS 01-13-2004 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildbeliefs
And although he's a rookie, I think Ryder would do very well in the POs since he plays with a lot of grit.

Yeah, I think he will be a clutch player come playoff time or in a big game..he was last season in the AHL and in the AHL playoffs, not to mention he certainly has the confidence now too.

suped 01-13-2004 08:17 PM

Why would anyone want a one hit wonder like anahiem or carolina? I say take the vancouver canuck approach and go into the playoffs with the young guns we have now for them to get experience then keep improving every year to become an elite team while adding the depth from the farm when they are ready for the nhl. Think long term please not a fluke cup every 10 years like the last 20 years with this organization

Go Habs Go 01-13-2004 11:39 PM

At least we don't have Rejean "Mastermind" Houle trading away all our assets for "des joueurs de caracteres" anymore. If he were still around he would've traded Theo or Zednik for a Laperriere.

ShootOut 01-14-2004 02:14 AM

One point for Souray, Ribeiro and Zednik a day keeps this pooler happy...

It's just the hockey gods playing a little with you, really, and somewhat rising your hopes before crashing and tearing them apart even harder than usual.

Not that you should be surprised, though; it did happen before.