HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   New Stick, need help (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=435732)

slightlystoopid 10-28-2007 11:50 AM

New Stick, need help

So I currently am using a Vapor XXX that had the blade broken off so it now has an Easton Z-Carbon CNT blade. At first, my shot was amazing with the new blade. I could lift my slapshot with ease and keep it low when I wanted to. Now, I'm not going to use the slapshot as much as a wrist shot or snap shot during a game, but I still want to keep it decent.
Now, when I take a snapshot with the stick it goes way high and it is wobbly. I don't know if it's me or the stick, but I'm guessing it is just me.
Does anyone have recommendations for a stick with a good balance of a wrist, snap, and slapshot? My XXX gave me a great wrist/snap shot but not as good of a slapshot.
I was looking into a Bauer One90, but it seems to be more of a defenseman's stick. I like the idea of a powerful stick, but I'm more interested in getting off a quick shot on net. I have always been a fan of the Warrior line, but I've never had one before and I'm not sure of which one to get. I was also considering the Vapor XXXX, but I want to try something new.

ATrain24 10-28-2007 07:22 PM

i like the sher-wood one piece sw0 with coffey curve , great stick

Talent Analyst 10-29-2007 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATrain24 (Post 10969819)
i like the sher-wood one piece sw0 with coffey curve , great stick

I used it a games and its good. The curve is scary!!! Just by doing a pass, the puck fly!!

welcomebackwinnipeg 10-29-2007 09:42 PM

What position do you play? I wouldn't suggest a Coffey curve as a D. (Yes, I realize he was a defenseman, but he was one of a kind.) The hook is too much.

Personally I find I can't make a half-decent pass with a big hook. I use an Amonte and I find that that one has way to big of a hook as it is.

I like Datsyuk's curve. It's not too much but not too little. My shots are low, but I can hit top corner if I want. Since I'm a D-man though, I pretty much need the low shot constantly.

LeafFan15 10-29-2007 10:41 PM

im using a sherwood SWD RM7 crosby curve its awesome
:yo:

McNasty 10-30-2007 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slightlystoopid (Post 10964754)
So I currently am using a Vapor XXX that had the blade broken off so it now has an Easton Z-Carbon CNT blade. At first, my shot was amazing with the new blade. I could lift my slapshot with ease and keep it low when I wanted to. Now, I'm not going to use the slapshot as much as a wrist shot or snap shot during a game, but I still want to keep it decent.
Now, when I take a snapshot with the stick it goes way high and it is wobbly. I don't know if it's me or the stick, but I'm guessing it is just me.
Does anyone have recommendations for a stick with a good balance of a wrist, snap, and slapshot? My XXX gave me a great wrist/snap shot but not as good of a slapshot.
I was looking into a Bauer One90, but it seems to be more of a defenseman's stick. I like the idea of a powerful stick, but I'm more interested in getting off a quick shot on net. I have always been a fan of the Warrior line, but I've never had one before and I'm not sure of which one to get. I was also considering the Vapor XXXX, but I want to try something new.

I'm a forward and I love the One90, I have no problem letting quick wristers go, the kick point lets me cork off snappers like its nothing.

stick9 10-30-2007 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slightlystoopid (Post 10964754)

Realistically speaking, when you shop for an OPS you should be shopping for a blade. Nothing will make you hate a stick more then the wrong curve or lie. Find a pattern you like and a lie that works for you and go with it.

When I look at sticks now. I walk along the rack looking at the blades, not the shaft or the name on it. As much as I like the Warrior sticks I own. The blade (Smyth pattern) didn't do much for my game. The face angle and lie didn't really work for me.

Right now I'm using a Vapor XXX-lite tapered shaft and a Warrior Draper blade and I couldn't be happier. I still have plenty of pop on my shots...possibly more and I'm not fighting to get the puck up to the top half of the net. The change in pattern gave me wrist shot back. Something the big toe hook, closed face, and bad lie took away.

IMO the right blade can make or break a stick, no pun intended. ;)

slightlystoopid 10-31-2007 06:46 PM

So I've been asking around, and I've heard great things about the Warrior AK27 shaft/blade combo. What do you all think about it? The only problem I have with it is that it looks sort of bleak, but if the performance is as amazing as I've heard I can deal with it :) .

slightlystoopid 10-31-2007 07:04 PM

Also, I've heard that the Nipple Grip isn't so good on the Warrior's. The only sticks I've ever owned are the Bauer Endure and Vapor XXX, and both had the stick'um grip. My friend told me that Warrior's without the grip are similar to Bauers with stick'um. Is this true?

windflare 10-31-2007 07:12 PM

The AK27 is a good combo. More hefty than Bauer offerings of the same price, but it's fine. The One90 is good - lots of forwards at the NHL level use it, and there really isn't such a thing as a 'defensemen's stick', unless you're talking about weight and durability, and the One90 is a good balance of that. Also consider the RBK 7K shaft/combo, Mission V-Hex/Ion shafts, and the Sherwood Momentum XD Shaft. CCM Vectors are tanks, and they are also one to consider.

slightlystoopid 10-31-2007 07:34 PM

I never mentioned this before but I play offense, usually on the right wing. I really want a stick that has a good balance of durability along with a decent wrist shot

slightlystoopid 10-31-2007 07:36 PM

Basically I'm choosing between the AK27 blade/shaft combo or a Bauer One90. I really want a Warrior stick because I've heard really great things about them.

Cappy76 11-01-2007 08:51 AM

its what you feel most comfortable with. It sucks feeling comfortable with a stick for so long and having it break getting a new one is the worst. Last year I broke my Easton Stealth with a Sakic blade and for some reason every stick ive had since doesnt work for me the way that one did. They seem to have redisigned those sticks and its just not feelin the same aymore:cry:

RangerSteve 11-01-2007 08:56 AM

I just bought a Warrior Dolomite 2 shaft with a Kovalev curve. My (now) back-up is my Easton Synergy 2 with a Daze curve(pretty close to a kovalev). The warrior has a little bit more weight to it but the blade is amazing. I feel like its a lot stronger and I can snap the puck a little quicker.

Jarick 11-01-2007 04:52 PM

Did you change your curve? That will affect your shot for sure.

This is what I've found over the last few months of trying a bunch of different sticks:

1. Most important factor is FLEX. Too stiff and the shots slide across the ice and shooting causes pain, too whippy and the shots come up too high and stickhandling gets tougher. I've found standard shafts seem to add at least 10 to the flex rating, and cutting the stick makes it stiffer as well.

2. Second most important factor is LIE. Too high or too low and you start missing passes and fanning on the puck.

3. Third most important factor is the CURVE. That's preference and what kind of game you want to play. More curve helps add spin and height to your shot, less curve gives better backhand and accuracy. More loft adds height, less keeps them low.

As I said above, my best shots in game were with lower flex sticks, regardless of curve. Most accurate in practice was with stiffer sticks and flatter blades, but in a game it was MUCH tougher to load up a stick and I never got a good shot off.

So the first thing I'd figure out is what flex you like, if you want something stiffer, whippier, or about the same as what you currently have, then pick something with a lie and curve that works for you.

RobertKron 11-02-2007 12:34 AM

I don't mean to be a dick, but it's you, and not the stick. You should be able to get a non-"wobbly" snap shot with pretty much any stick if you're doing it right.

SSM12 11-02-2007 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cappy76 (Post 11014228)
its what you feel most comfortable with. It sucks feeling comfortable with a stick for so long and having it break getting a new one is the worst. Last year I broke my Easton Stealth with a Sakic blade and for some reason every stick ive had since doesnt work for me the way that one did. They seem to have redisigned those sticks and its just not feelin the same aymore:cry:

Naslund is similar, I have a Semin pro stock and it said similar to sakic so I got the dimensions and found a Naslund Nike Bauer one 70 and it feels almost the same, although the Semin Easton Prostock was lighter. So id say give a Naslund a shot, P92 curve on a NB stick

slightlystoopid 11-02-2007 03:26 PM

So I decided to go with the AK27 blade and shaft combo, non-grip. I'm using the Sakic curve right now on the CNT blade, and I like the curve. Although, I am willing to settle with another curve similar to the Jokinen/St. Louis. Does anyone know what curves correspond from the Nike Bauer to Warrior? Specifically St. Louis/Jokinen and Sakic?

sc37 11-02-2007 03:31 PM

Are you sure you want to 'settle' for a Jokinen, St Louis rather than a Sakic...cause none of those are really that similar. Cause then next week we're gonna be getting a thread "Help, which curve to choose? My shot sucks":sarcasm:

Jarick 11-02-2007 05:10 PM

Draper is the closest Warrior to the Sakic.

slightlystoopid 11-02-2007 08:33 PM

Haha yes, my first stick had a Jokinen curve and I still practice with that stick in my basement so I am used to it. My Vapor XXX had a St. Louis curve until it broke and now the Easton has the Sakic. I'm good to go with any of them, and thank you Jarick.