HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Roenick Water Bottle incident (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=43595)

Big Mama* 01-13-2004 06:47 PM

Roenick Water Bottle incident

Should Roenick be suspended for throwing his water bottle at ref. He would have to miss Fridays game against the leafs. Well it will be interesting to hear Colin Campbell on this issue. Please note the question before voting. Five games should be minimum. Worse than Tucks harmless charge at Sens bench.

Leaf Lander 01-13-2004 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother Tucker
Should Roenick be suspended for throwing his water bottle at ref. He would have to miss Fridays game against the leafs. Well it will be interesting to hear Colin Campbell on this issue. Please note the question before voting. Five games should be minimum. Worse than Tucks harmless charge at Sens bench.

how does this relate to the leafs

or should we not really worry about it not being leafs stuff

anyways if he threw a water bottle at a ref he will get suspended

no doubt

Big Mama* 01-13-2004 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilmour's Way
how does this relate to the leafs

or should we not really worry about it not being leafs stuff

anyways if he threw a water bottle at a ref he will get suspended

no doubt

Ah because the leafs are playing the Flyers back to back on the weekend and Roenick not in the lineup is a big hole for the Flyers. Just as a missing Sundin before Sens game was big news for Sens fans.

Leaf Lander 01-13-2004 07:19 PM

Quote:

Ah because the leafs are playing the Flyers back to back on the weekend and Roenick not in the lineup is a big hole for the Flyers. Just as a missing Sundin before Sens game was big news for Sens fans.

lets hope he is on his mini vacation by that time :D

leafaholix* 01-13-2004 07:43 PM

He should get more then 1 game.

And he will be fined for his comments after the game.

thrill_me_mogilny 01-13-2004 08:33 PM

I don't mind the occasional fight but throwing stuff at the refs is cause for punishment. Ban the bugger for 5.

Mess 01-13-2004 11:20 PM

5 games????

You thought Sundin got cheated by missing one for throwing a SHARP STICK into the crowd...

and now Roenick throws a watter bottle on the ice from about a million miles away from the refs on the opposite side of the ice and it rolls over to them and he get 5 games..

What gives... Don't you hear yourself..

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...27&hubName=nhl

wasting time 01-14-2004 03:33 AM

Roenick cracks me up.

Joey24 01-14-2004 03:38 AM

U can't blame JR for being pissed. First he gets hacked by his own teammate and then he gets cracked in the face right infront of the ref and no infraction was called. The refs are fast to call a little hooking penalty behind the play or a tripping penalty that is extreme borderline but when they are right infront of a play that causes damage to a player like the Nolan eye injury or this incident with JR they fail to make a call. I think JR will get fined and maybe a 1 game suspension anything more would be bs imo.

shakes 01-14-2004 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Messenger
5 games????

You thought Sundin got cheated by missing one for throwing a SHARP STICK into the crowd...

and now Roenick throws a watter bottle on the ice from about a million miles away from the refs on the opposite side of the ice and it rolls over to them and he get 5 games..

As with Sundin's letal :shakehead stick incident, this is all woulda coulda shoulda. So if Roenick was half a million miles away, would this have been more outrageous? Maybe you think its ok just to hit the refs with a water bottle, but certainly not a stick.

Do you hear yourself? Abuse of an official is still abuse of an official and he should punished appropiately and a suspension is definately warranted, maybe not 5 games but certainly more than one.

Big Mama* 01-14-2004 04:02 AM

Quote:

5 games????

I didn't think Sundin was cheated, but I do think that Campbell screws the leafs. I think throwing a water bottle on to the ice and spitting on a ref can be compared to Tucker punching guys on the Sens bench. Tuck got 5 games. Lets see what Campbell does, it will be interesting.

Epoch 01-14-2004 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey24
U can't blame JR for being pissed. First he gets hacked by his own teammate and then he gets cracked in the face right infront of the ref and no infraction was called. The refs are fast to call a little hooking penalty behind the play or a tripping penalty that is extreme borderline but when they are right infront of a play that causes damage to a player like the Nolan eye injury or this incident with JR they fail to make a call. I think JR will get fined and maybe a 1 game suspension anything more would be bs imo.

:handclap:

DutchLeafsfan 01-14-2004 06:44 AM

Quote:

5 games????

I don't think the NHL cares about the fact that he was far away. They'll probably look at his intention, hitting the ref with a bottle, which is something they will not be pleased about.

Around in 67 01-14-2004 06:51 AM

Quote:

yes, but he won't get 5 games, I don't think. 1 game and a fine for his after game comments is what I would bet.

ACC1224 01-14-2004 07:06 AM

Hasn't this happened before? There must be a precedent set already. I'm going to the game Saturday so I hope he will be in the lineup for that, he's a fun player to watch.

Flyers26 01-14-2004 07:12 AM

No way he gets 5 games.
He'll get a slap on the wrist, and a fine. If any suspension happens, I would bet it would be a game, but I doubt that happens.
Sorry, but you'll see JR in the lineup this weekend!!!

SOB RULES!!!

DutchLeafsfan 01-14-2004 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyers26
No way he gets 5 games.
He'll get a slap on the wrist, and a fine. If any suspension happens, I would bet it would be a game, but I doubt that happens.
Sorry, but you'll see JR in the lineup this weekend!!!

SOB RULES!!!

IMO the most logical result would be a one game fine, just like Sundin. Just to set an example that you're nto supposed to do that kind of stuff...

Mess 01-14-2004 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakes
As with Sundin's letal :shakehead stick incident, this is all woulda coulda shoulda. So if Roenick was half a million miles away, would this have been more outrageous? Maybe you think its ok just to hit the refs with a water bottle, but certainly not a stick.

Do you hear yourself? Abuse of an official is still abuse of an official and he should punished appropiately and a suspension is definately warranted, maybe not 5 games but certainly more than one.

Your way off base here...

I don't condon what Roenick did .. I do think he should get suspended..Absolutely..

but my post was for the poster Mother Tucker , who believes that the league is treating Leafs unfairly in the punishment department and that Sundin stick throwing incident was used as an example... where he thought the suspenension from the League was unjust and then when another incident happens he wants that player suspended for 5 games minimum...

My other point was that if you compared the two situations as to which was more dangerous ...Sundin's would certainly win ...as a plastic water bottle thrown on the ice certainly can not injure a fan or even really hurt anyone ...particularly this one...

Had he thrown that at a player who high sticked him, rather than an official then I also believe his suspension/fine would be different ..but the league needs to protect the refs and the penalty will be just .... but take a look at Roenick after the game and after receiving 2 high sticks, one by his own player that he didn't realize and NO penalties ..He was pissed off ..lost his cool and will pay the penalty..

Mess 01-14-2004 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Around in 67
yes, but he won't get 5 games, I don't think. 1 game and a fine for his after game comments is what I would bet.

Yes that was exactly my point...

Big Mama* 01-14-2004 10:26 AM

Quote:

Your way off base here...

I don't condon what Roenick did .. I do think he should get suspended..Absolutely..

but my post was for the poster Mother Tucker , who believes that the league is treating Leafs unfairly in the punishment department and that Sundin stick throwing incident was used as an example... where he thought the suspenension from the League was unjust and then when another incident happens he wants that player suspended for 5 games minimum...

My other point was that if you compared the two situations as to which was more dangerous ...Sundin's would certainly win ...as a plastic water bottle thrown on the ice certainly can not injure a fan or even really hurt anyone ...particularly this one...

Had he thrown that at a player who high sticked him, rather than an official then I also believe his suspension/fine would be different ..but the league needs to protect the refs and the penalty will be just .... but take a look at Roenick after the game and after receiving 2 high sticks, one by his own player that he didn't realize and NO penalties ..He was pissed off ..lost his cool and will pay the penalty..

Actually comparing Tucks 5 games or his two gamer or Domis suspension for hitting Arvedson or Belaks two for having the audacity to let Witt run into his elbow. Those incidents are not worse than Roenick throwing a water bottle at a ref and spitting blood on him. Of course Campbell was only going to give him a game. That is the way Campbell handles NHL justice. The leafs always get the sort end of the stick with him. That should be obvious now. My guess Tuck gets 5 games if he does the same thing.

Wow a player lost his cool. But Roenicks intent was easy to discern he had to pick up the water bottle and throw it. Sundin was discarding his stick after it was broken.

There is good news. You only get one game if you abuse an official. I hope Nolan throws a water bottle at an official next time he gets his eye poked with a sharp stick.

Leaf Lander 01-14-2004 11:48 AM

Roenicks pic is on tsn.ca/nhl front page as we speak lol too funny

he deserves art least 3 games for challenging the official -
1 game for his pathetic face and -
1 game for throwing the water bottle like a girl :lol:

thus 1 game seem fair to me! :yo:

Courage* 01-14-2004 12:39 PM

The Sundin suspension was influenced by the League's fear of liability lawsuits. Misconduct on the part of the players on the ice towards officials is 'serious', but not as serious as a multi-million dollar injury suit against the league if Sundin's stick had hurt anyone badly. That was the real motivation behind the decision.

Big Mama* 01-14-2004 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courage
The Sundin suspension was influenced by the League's fear of liability lawsuits. Misconduct on the part of the players on the ice towards officials is 'serious', but not as serious as a multi-million dollar injury suit against the league if Sundin's stick had hurt anyone badly. That was the real motivation behind the decision.

I agree the safety and integrity of the refs is second to multi-million dollar lawsuit.
Of course Roenick has been suspended before not Sundin. Roenick popped off about refs after game (don't blame him) Sundin never does such a thing.

p.l.f. 01-14-2004 01:22 PM

they should have taken the official off on a stretcher :handclap:
to make it look good :joker:

Charge_Seven 01-14-2004 02:20 PM

Intent vs Accident?

Those who are saying Roenick deserves the same as Sundin should think about the two situations, first of all, they're so far away from each other in actions that they're not comparable. Sundin through his stick, clearly over the boards, in a momentary mental lapse. He then appologized, and admitted to being in the wrong (as far as I saw). Roenick was high sticked, clearly, and was right about his situation, however, he then attempted to assault a league official, verbally, and physically (water bottle...still assault...). Roenick was trying to hit someone, Sundin was not. Roenick then carried on after that game, attacking the NHL on a whole.

I don't know about 5 games, I'm not going to hazard a guess about how many he should have gotten, but to say 2 would make me sound bias (Leafs games are the next two). Does anyone know of any previous attacks on referee's that have resulted in suspensions? I'd love to know the precedent.

Ah well, having the referee insulting, borderline dirty Roenick in the lineup Saturday is probably better for the Leafs anyways. Telling a ref to go ******* himself can't help you.