HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Destroyed? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=436139)

Roy G Biv* 10-29-2007 01:00 PM

Destroyed?

Anyone ever just get ****ing pancaked in a game? Like seriously demolished?

I did yesterday night. It's a non-contact league, but guys will often passively play the body, which is fine.

So my D-man is looking for an outlet, and I head up ice while looking back at him. He then feathers a perfect suicide-pass, and just as I reach out to snag it, I realize the opposing D-man is just standing still at his blue-line. My head went straight into his chest (he was huge) and I just compressed like a slinky and hit the ground. It was like running into a wall.

The funny thing about getting smoked: I never feel any pain and jump right back up. The only thing going through my mind is "Wow, that must have looked ridiculous" and I have this weird need to see a replay. I could hear the players on the ice let out an "ohhh" as I got nailed, so I'm sure it looked great.

Today I have a strained neck, stiff back, and a huge bruise on my forehead.

Murphy 10-29-2007 01:09 PM

I was in a AJHL training camp as a midget age player and was one of a few guys with a full cage on. I didn't give it much thought at the time as I'd always had to wear one. I got lit into pretty good as being a wuss so I figured I'd show them in scrimmage I wasn't, by rushing into the corner without any regard to protecting myself. The next thing I know is I'm picking myself up off the ice, seeing stars and wondering why I have hockey equipment on, lol. I look around, try to get my bearings and finally figure out that I'm actually in some kind of hockey game.

Looking back I probably had a concussion. I finished the game but can't remember any of it, can't remember much else of training camp actually, other than getting cut, lol.

Ti-girl 10-29-2007 02:47 PM

I was playing men's league which is no checking, but not non contact.

I called for a pass that came up through centre ice, but was behind me. I kicked it to my stick and looked up and BANG. Yep, elbow to the head. I went down like a sack of bricks.

Woke up with three of my teammates around me with my helmet taken off. Sucked.

Then I was playing women's tier one and I got Bergeroned. I turned my back at the last second to protect the puck and got hit from behind. Dented my cage and everything. That was rough, I broke a cheek bone, split my lip. It was nasty. Thank goodness I wore a cage.

sc37 10-29-2007 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy G Biv (Post 10977843)

I did yesterday night. It's a non-contact league, but guys will often passively play the body, which is fine.

So my D-man is looking for an outlet, and I head up ice while looking back at him. He then feathers a perfect suicide-pass, and just as I reach out to snag it, I realize the opposing D-man is just standing still at his blue-line. My head went straight into his chest (he was huge) and I just compressed like a slinky and hit the ground. It was like running into a wall.

The funny thing about getting smoked: I never feel any pain and jump right back up. The only thing going through my mind is "Wow, that must have looked ridiculous" and I have this weird need to see a replay. I could hear the players on the ice let out an "ohhh" as I got nailed, so I'm sure it looked great.

That happened to me once....I got smoked and the ref even commented on my head bouncing like a basketball when I hit. But I felt fine after that collision.

But last night I got nailed pretty bad. It's ironic cause in the lockerroom we all were talking about Bergeron getting hit from behind at a bad angle...and what happens to me? I get hit at a funny angle. Granted it is a no checking league, but we were playing the goons of the division last night. I was leaning in on a poke check to try to get the puck out of our zone, so my head was near the other dudes hip/elbow area. And what does the guy crashing the zone do? Throws his body into me and my head gets smushed into the boards. I felt fine right afterwards, but it was after the game when I was driving home I realized I was confused. I remember seeing myself getting set up to be crushed, but don't remember the hit and only remember having my chincup all up in my face lying on the ice and then talking to the ref after I got up cause he had my stick for some reason....I don't recall ever letting my stick go.

I get home, eat some food and then I start feelin' like Capt'n Jack Sparrow so that was interesting. I feel a bit fuzzy today, but I'm holding off the doctor's office for another day cause idk if it's just a case of the Mondays or if it was the hit.

XweekendwarriorX 10-29-2007 05:41 PM

i was playing in a Golden Horseshoe League game for fort erie and me and some kid from welland were going for a puck in the neutral zone and both at full speed but we had the same thing in mind to hit the hell out of the person who got the puck. well i slowed down hoping he would get the puck first and can lay the hit of the year on him and it back fired as we both had the same plan we just both crushed each other open ice with no regard for our own well being lol. while we were down i layed there wondering *** just happened as he did the same becuase i herd saying *** was that as well. a few seconds later we got up went to the bench he said to me trying to lay me out as soon as i touched the puck i said yeah what about you he responded with a simple i had the same idea. it was the worst hit and collision i was ever in took the wind and what seemed like all my energy out of me.

SoundwaveIsCharisma 10-29-2007 07:24 PM

The only time I've actually gotten flattened is actually memorable and funny. I'm playing against one of my friends, I play my game as a power forward and he's a hard hitting defenseman, the puck slips out from my blueline and is headed to the red line just a little ahead of me. I'm going about full speed and start reaching to corale the puck, I look up, turns out my friend had the same idea and we demolish each other. Gear flew everywhere as potentially the greatest open ice hit in non-televised history took place. The best part is we both got up, embarassingly had to pick up our gloves and helmets and had to listen to our teams respectively telling us to keep our heads up.

welcomebackwinnipeg 10-29-2007 09:38 PM

I play highschool hockey, and there are some players that just look to kill people.

I've been "pancaked" probably 3-4 times this year. I'm a defenseman, and the worst one was when I went to pick the pick up in the corner boards, and as I turned around to make the outlet pass, my head made direct contact with a shoulder. (He had me lined up, no I did not turn around with my head down. I didn't have enough time to do anything.) He hit the side of my head, and my ear got the worst of it. I made the pass, the puck got out of the zone, and I got right back up so the hit really didn't mean ****. It hurt but you obviously have to shake that kind of crap off.

vexXed 10-30-2007 10:28 AM

This is the thing about hockey I like. It doesn't matter how skilled you are, how tough you are, how your trash talk flows, or how much of a pest you are, as you WILL be destroyed at some point. Some more than others, sure, but EVERYONE gets hit hard. It's chaos, and I love it.

Thankfully I haven't been concussed or had any serious injuries as of yet *touch wood* but there was a time my team were playing Oxford in the British universities league. Their team comprises of pretty much all Canadians and Americans studying overseas, so they pretty much rule over a lot of players. I went in to the corner to clear the puck which I do, but as soon as I look up I see this guys shoulder coming full speed to my face. There was no time for me to do anything except close my eyes and think "****." He rattled my head off the boards and I had to skate off when my head was spinning to the bench. Ouch. Was ok after a missed shift though :amazed:

Brunomics 10-30-2007 02:42 PM

;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy G Biv (Post 10977843)

That my friends, is called a buddy pass

woahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh buddy;)

krax 10-30-2007 03:30 PM

Beer league, played D, going full speed from the neutral zone to fetch the puck in my own end. Feeling forchecker in my neck, I fetch the puck, turn slightly left, followed by an abrupt turn to the right. The forward, pretty bad skater did not follow my "deke" he just continued straight. My tight 180 turn ended up my face crashing against his grid :cry:. Blood all over the place, stitches on chin and lips, nose not broken, but pretty out of place, fortunately I lost no teeth. I wear a grid now because of those other grid wearers. Later the guy told me his neck hurt a lot the next day. Poor him...

XweekendwarriorX 10-30-2007 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penguins2010 (Post 10985527)
I play highschool hockey, and there are some players that just look to kill people.

I've been "pancaked" probably 3-4 times this year. I'm a defenseman, and the worst one was when I went to pick the pick up in the corner boards, and as I turned around to make the outlet pass, my head made direct contact with a shoulder. (He had me lined up, no I did not turn around with my head down. I didn't have enough time to do anything.) He hit the side of my head, and my ear got the worst of it. I made the pass, the puck got out of the zone, and I got right back up so the hit really didn't mean ****. It hurt but you obviously have to shake that kind of crap off.

Not to be an ass but if you keep skating and pick the up in the conrer you might not be hit or targeted to much i know when i go into corners i keep my head turned at all times looking behind me and i keep the legs moving to either speed up or slow down to dig it out but a dead stop is hard to recover from becuase the player coming to hit you knows you have no where to go.

SSM12 10-30-2007 08:17 PM

Tried to split 2 D down the middle and I got CRUSHED both of em got me up high. My teamates wouldnt let me live it down because im always being fancy with the puck. Both of the D read it perfectly and dropped my ass, took me a coupla seconds to get up and realize what had happened

welcomebackwinnipeg 10-30-2007 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XweekendwarriorX (Post 10993786)
Not to be an ass but if you keep skating and pick the up in the conrer you might not be hit or targeted to much i know when i go into corners i keep my head turned at all times looking behind me and i keep the legs moving to either speed up or slow down to dig it out but a dead stop is hard to recover from becuase the player coming to hit you knows you have no where to go.

Well I had my head up, turned around, passed the puck and then he smoked me. Like I said, it was the side of my head, so I didn't see it coming.

lotus 10-30-2007 10:30 PM

got totally rocked in a non contact league twice today. First one someone was taking a slapshot, so I stepped up to him, blocked it. But apparently he was aiming for the moon cause his follow through came all the way up and nailed me on the cage pretty hard. Stunned me for a second but didn't knock me down. It was hard though, hurt my head.

Second one I was back checking a real huge guy (probably 235 240 lbs) and im reaching in with my stick smacking his stick, when all of a sudden the elbow comes up and nails me in the jaw, follow through came so strong from the elbow that my head snapped back and hit the ground. I was down for a few seconds but got back up and into the play, which they scored on.

No calls on either of the plays. I was pretty pissed. Tomorrows game is going to be me taking out a lot of aggression :rant:

I wasn't seeing stars or anything so no concussion I suppose, but it hurt and had me a little wobbly. I guess my RBK helmet has gotten me it's money worth so far.

oh, and not me but my teammate got a stick to the groin while screening the goalie (from the goalie) and there was no call, so he did a lap around the net and totally smoked the goalie from behind with a real hard hit. Nobody on the other team stood up for him, they all knew it was coming and pretty well deserved. (the goalie does this a lot, apparently, but I still would have stuck up for him). Double minor on us, cost us the game probably =[

Reckless Abandon* 10-31-2007 02:59 PM

I was pinning some kid along the boards, then I freed the puck and pushed down the ice to a teammate, I turn around only to get nailed by their center. I got my back ****ed up on that little ledge where the boards and glass are seperated.

WhipNash27 10-31-2007 03:37 PM

I've gotten laid out a few times, I'm a small guy, but I always bounce back up. Although I love it when the big guys aren't paying attention and I see them coming at me and they ram into me and fall flat on their ***** and I just keep going. I've even gotten refs to laugh at those.

Ti-girl 10-31-2007 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PruBlue25 (Post 11006499)
I've gotten laid out a few times, I'm a small guy, but I always bounce back up. Although I love it when the big guys aren't paying attention and I see them coming at me and they ram into me and fall flat on their ***** and I just keep going. I've even gotten refs to laugh at those.

Haha I've had one of those where I went through a guy. I'm not huge (5'9, 170 lbs) and I was up against this BEHMOUTH of a defenseman (6'4, 260 lbs) and he went to check me in an open ice hit and instead I lowered my centre of gravity and led with my shoulder and caught him off guard. He fell backwards and I spun away. I ended up passing the puck out infront of the net and my friend chipped it in.

Then the guy I hit comes over and goes "Holy **** girl can you hit!"
"Uh...thanks."
"No problem...so you wanna meet up for a beer sometime?"

pld459666 10-31-2007 07:42 PM

Best hit I ever laid on someone was my own winger

Coming down 2 on 0 thinking it was a breakaway, I'm on the right, he's on the left, we're both coming in on the goalie at full speed. I cut to the left thinking I can beat the goalie to the far post, for some reason my winger cuts from left to right and 2 guys going full speed collide.

My left shoulder nails this guy square in the chest and I send him flying, he's got 4 inches on me and at least 20 pounts at the time (I've gotten a bit round since then) I thought I killed the guy. He was laying in the corner with the wind knocked out of him and the wheezing was frightening.

He got up and after sitting on the bench for the rest of the period (5 minutes) he was ok for the rest of the game.

Great hit, to bad it was not meant to be thrown

xeric716x 10-31-2007 08:27 PM

i destroyed myself, chasing down a lose puck in the corner lost an edge went into the end boards at almost full speed move my head at the last minute and had my shoulder take the hit. separated my shoulder.

The Saurus 10-31-2007 08:45 PM

This was in Junior A:

I went behind my net to retrieve the puck on a powerplay and I never realized a man was coming around the opposite side of the net. I was completely and utterly Wendel Clark'd. I deserved it for not paying attention; thinking they all went off for changes.

The Saurus 10-31-2007 08:53 PM

Oh and another one, also from Junior A:

There was a scrum around the net and a few fights eventually broke out. I was paired with an absolute psycho. He grabbed a hold of my face-mask and ripped it off in one quick and furious motion. I turtled after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y

NJDevs430 10-31-2007 09:00 PM

The biggest hit I was part of so far was when I was going for a puck (I think). I don't really remember if I saw the other guy...but I was determined to get the puck and I ran into this guy.
Biggest noise I've ever heard.
I heard a big "Oooh!" from the bench.
I remember seeing a big distance open up between the two of us as gravity showed me to my seat. I got up as quickly as I could gather myself and apologized profusely. He just smiled and said, "That's why we wear helmets."
When I skated to the bench, one of my teammates asked, "How many hits are you going for tonight?"
"One," I said, "and I wasn't even going for that!"
}:-(>

FLYLine24* 10-31-2007 10:13 PM

I've been destroyed a lot of times since started adult hockey 3 years ago (I got destroy when i was younger as well but i dont remember much from then anyway).

I don't care though, it usually results in a penalty so i'll take one for the team. We have a lot of dirty players in my league so yea...a lot of cheap crap goes on....i don't dish, just receive since im a really good stick handler and i can make people on the other team look really bad....but im happy with getting layed out to draw a penalty ;) (well i'll dish once in awhile if my teams having a bad game and im pissed off)

BTW - i'm 5'9 at 165 pounds.

Chileiceman 10-31-2007 10:56 PM

I'm only like 5'8 and weigh 130 pounds. One time I was skating with the puck with my head down and this guy who's like 6 feet and probably weighs like 220 pounds comes skating at me and just demolishes me. I never saw it coming, but like you say it didn't hurt a bit. I just got back and continued playing.

Grave77digger 10-31-2007 11:20 PM

I got wrecked pretty good tonight in a no check league. I think we were both chasing the puck and turned into each other in full stride, we collided chest on chest but his arms where up high on me and I thought for sure i was about to get another broken nose! I took the worst of it since I have never played contact before and im not sure how to brace for or deliver a hit. I was up and into the play first though and ended with 2 assists. :yo: