HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   balej , beside older players... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=43679)

goalchenyuk 01-14-2004 06:16 AM

balej , beside older players...

i was looking to the stats of Balej who is the 3 th leader of the ahl , when i realised that the AHL stats give also more details about the players when you clik on their names

what a surprise , when i realise how older are the other leaders of the league...

RK PLAYER TEAM POS GP G A PTS
1 Rosa, Pavel MCH RW 41 17 29 46 jun 1977
2 Zalesak, Miroslav CLE RW 38 21 24 45 jan 1980
3 Balej, Jozef HAM RW 43 23 20 43 feb 1982
4 Hamilton, Jeff BRI RW 36 25 17 42 sep 1977
5 Perrin, Eric HER C 42 16 25 41 nov 1975
6 Law, Kirby PHI RW 40 16 24 40 1977
7 Kelly, Steve MCH C 33 11 29 40 1976
8 Beaudoin, Eric SAN LW 35 17 21 38 1980
9 Pominville, Jason ROC RW 36 17 18 35 nov 1982
10 Skalde, Jarrod UTA C 38 15 20 35 1971

impressive !
by the way , for those who saw him , could he be a good liner for Ribeiro ( i imagine the long pass ) or he would be to fast to play with him ?

goalchenyuk 01-14-2004 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark0v
by the way , for those who saw him , could he be a good liner for Ribeiro ( i imagine the long pass ) or he would be to fast to play with him ?

no comments anybody ?:dunno:

KILLger 01-14-2004 03:13 PM

Quote:

i was looking to the stats of Balej who is the 3 th leader of the ahl , when i realised that the AHL stats give also more details about the players when you clik on their names

what a surprise , when i realise how older are the other leaders of the league...

RK PLAYER TEAM POS GP G A PTS
1 Rosa, Pavel MCH RW 41 17 29 46 jun 1977
2 Zalesak, Miroslav CLE RW 38 21 24 45 jan 1980
3 Balej, Jozef HAM RW 43 23 20 43 feb 1982
4 Hamilton, Jeff BRI RW 36 25 17 42 sep 1977
5 Perrin, Eric HER C 42 16 25 41 nov 1975
6 Law, Kirby PHI RW 40 16 24 40 1977
7 Kelly, Steve MCH C 33 11 29 40 1976
8 Beaudoin, Eric SAN LW 35 17 21 38 1980
9 Pominville, Jason ROC RW 36 17 18 35 nov 1982
10 Skalde, Jarrod UTA C 38 15 20 35 1971

impressive !

Most of those guys are career AHLers IMO...

Balej would be just like Zednik on Ribs' line, I'd say they're about the same player (but Z is more agressive, at times).

goalchenyuk 01-14-2004 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLger

Balej would be just like Zednik on Ribs' line, I'd say they're about the same player (but Z is more agressive, at times).

i was sure that Balej was really more faster than Zednik ...am i wrong ?

habsfansam 01-14-2004 06:21 PM

Quote:

i was sure that Balej was really more faster than Zednik ...am i wrong ?

No, you are very correct... in pure skating, zed would be left behind. Skating with the puck is slightly different, so they might be closer there. I haven't seen much of Balej recently to be able to compare game speed.

Anyone?

goalchenyuk 01-14-2004 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habsfansam
No, you are very correct... in pure skating, zed would be left behind. Skating with the puck is slightly different, so they might be closer there. I haven't seen much of Balej recently to be able to compare game speed.

Anyone?

i really have flash of Yvan Cournoyer when i hear about the speed of Balej ; for those who remember Cournoyer , you know how his speed deserved him to catch the long pass...so with the great vision and playmaking of Ribeiro , i can imagine ...

gohabsgo2010 01-14-2004 06:48 PM

Even if he can't fly like Zednik :D , I'm sure Balej will have a great chance to make us all proud pretty soon. Bob Gainey's a man of his word. When he says Josef Balej is going to get a chance, than he means it.

http://ca.yimg.com/i/cf/reuters/2002...1141432353.jpg

montreal 01-14-2004 06:58 PM

Balej if on the Habs would be the fastest player on the team I would think. He's very fast and has impressive exceleration. He seems faster then Zednik, but Zed has way more power in his stride and way more balance, which makes a major difference. Balej, imo will have trouble along the boards and in the corners due to his lack of strength. I like that he doesn't take being pushed around or slashed, as he seems sort of chippy at times, but I'd love to see the kid get stronger both upper and lower body. Still with the speed and shot he has, he's got a lot going for him. :handclap:

goalchenyuk 01-14-2004 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal
Balej if on the Habs would be the fastest player on the team I would think. He's very fast and has impressive exceleration. He seems faster then Zednik, but Zed has way more power in his stride and way more balance, which makes a major difference. Balej, imo will have trouble along the boards and in the corners due to his lack of strength. I like that he doesn't take being pushed around or slashed, as he seems sort of chippy at times, but I'd love to see the kid get stronger both upper and lower body. Still with the speed and shot he has, he's got a lot going for him. :handclap:

didn't he gain some pounds last summer ? i think i read that he 's now at 195 lbs

montreal 01-14-2004 08:17 PM

Quote:

didn't he gain some pounds last summer ? i think i read that he 's now at 195 lbs

Don't believe everything you read. ;) I don't know what he ways, but he looks very skinny in person. I'd say he looks more like 180-185 maybe. He can create room for himself along the boards/corners in the AHL, but I don't know how he will fare in the NHL where his speed will come in handy but his strength is a concern, imo.

Rahan 01-15-2004 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal
Don't believe everything you read. ;) I don't know what he ways, but he looks very skinny in person. I'd say he looks more like 180-185 maybe. He can create room for himself along the boards/corners in the AHL, but I don't know how he will fare in the NHL where his speed will come in handy but his strength is a concern, imo.

Actually, he did add weight during the summer, about 15 pounds.. And I believe it because the commentators on sportsnet said it and told it showed :P

montreal 01-15-2004 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahan
Actually, he did add weight during the summer, about 15 pounds.. And I believe it because the commentators on sportsnet said it and told it showed :P

I was right behind him twice, and I'll say he's not 195 imo. He could have gained 15 pounds, but I don't see it. 15 pounds is a lot of weight to add over one summer and makes it tougher (on your lower muscles) to keep the same rate of speed. I'd say he does look bigger, but not much and not 15 pounds. Either way, he still looks skinny upper body and lower body, which is a concern to me. I don't pay attention to commentators that much. I look and form my own opinions, and they aren't always right just like everyone else. He is tall but I think he has skinny arms for sure. Does't hurt his shot any that's for sure.

HCH 01-15-2004 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLger

It doesn't matter whether they are career AHLers or not, the fact remains that Balej is near the league lead in scoring and he is doing it at a relatively young age. And Balej is going to continue to improve from here, which means he likely won't be a career AHLer.

As for the comparison with Zednik, they aren't even close to being the same player. Balej is much more of a finesse player while Zednik tries to use his strength to get around the defense. I also think Balej handles the puck with more skill (better stickhandler) and is more creative. About the only similarity is that they both love to shoot the puck.