HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Trading Conroy (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=43681)

FLAMESFAN 01-14-2004 06:24 AM

Trading Conroy

Sure he will have value at the trade deadline, but it's this exact reason why we should keep him for the playoffs!
He has shown he can play against the best lines out there, shut them down, even outscore them. I think he would be a huge part of the Flames in the post season.
I said the same thing about Niedermayer last year, and look what he did. You cannot overstate the importance of a great checker with skill at playoff time.

Sec of Partying Down 01-14-2004 08:18 AM

If the Flames are in a playoff spot come March then I can't see the Flames trading him unless the return is really good like a Scott Gomez. But if the Flames aren't I see him going for around a 2nd round pick.

looooob 01-14-2004 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN
Sure he will have value at the trade deadline, but it's this exact reason why we should keep him for the playoffs!
He has shown he can play against the best lines out there, shut them down, even outscore them. I think he would be a huge part of the Flames in the post season.
I said the same thing about Niedermayer last year, and look what he did. You cannot overstate the importance of a great checker with skill at playoff time.

IF the Flames make the playoffs having 2 good defensive centers like Conroy and Yelle will be a huge benefit as it allows you to match up against the top seeded teams who often roll 2 great lines.

I'm thinking that (if budgets allow) we'll probably keep Conroy as our own 'rentaplayer' (like Marchant in Edm last year) unless we got a mindboggling trade offer

FLAMESFAN 01-14-2004 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weiser Wonder
If the Flames are in a playoff spot come March then I can't see the Flames trading him unless the return is really good like a Scott Gomez. But if the Flames aren't I see him going for around a 2nd round pick.

OK - I agree, If the Flames miss the playoffs (better *** not!) then he should be traded. But if we make it, I hope to hell he's part of it.

Badger Bob 01-15-2004 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looooob
I'm thinking that (if budgets allow) we'll probably keep Conroy as our own 'rentaplayer' (like Marchant in Edm last year) unless we got a mindboggling trade offer

Might've said more or less the same thing once or twice over the months myself. ;) Nobody's going to offer anything mind-boggling, even though it wouldn't be a huge surprise to see him in a Devils uniform at some future date. For some reason or another, doofy trade proposals keep popping up in reference to Conroy. Why would the Flames want to trade him, unless they were out the deadline?

The main reason another team would want him would be to perform in exactly the same role he would, if he remained in Calgary. He also has the right attitude, and would definitely elevate his game under playoff pressure (i.e Selke-caliber). Our own "Rent a Player" is the perfect analogy. He'll be returning from injury at just the right time, and adds depth up the middle. A few of the Western teams might not be ecstatic about the prospect of facing the a healthy lineup including both Yelle & Conroy. This neutralizes the other's teams scoring lines dramatically, and opens up the ice for Iginla & Donavan.

Flames Draft Watcher 01-15-2004 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger Bob
Why would the Flames want to trade him, unless they were out the deadline?

If they had approached him about extending his contract and he didn't want to and the Flames wanted something more for him in the summer than the compensation pick we'd get when he left as UFA (3rd rounder or lower in all likelihood) then that would be reason to trade him IMO.

I can see it going either way really. I have no doubt Sutter will listen to offers and I also have no doubt that a few teams out there would want him for the playoffs. It will probably depend on what type of offers Sutter will get. If an offer isn't substantially better than the pick we would end up with if he left then there's no reason to move him. And if they feel he will re-sign then there's no reason to move him either.

Cactus Jack 01-15-2004 01:17 PM

Rarely do trades now a days net you good value. No one is willing to offer fair value, and I don't think we'll get much for Conroy in March. Keep him. And I'd like to try and resign him, maybe at a little bit of a pay cut. If he stays, he may have a reduced role. With your top two centers being Lombardi and Reinprecht, it's not a step down from conroy. And with Yelle and Betts, I think Calgary has solid centers. Conroy would be valuable for the strech run, but for next year, I think the money would be best spent elsewhere.

kruezer 01-15-2004 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger Bob
Might've said more or less the same thing once or twice over the months myself. ;) Nobody's going to offer anything mind-boggling, even though it wouldn't be a huge surprise to see him in a Devils uniform at some future date. For some reason or another, doofy trade proposals keep popping up in reference to Conroy. Why would the Flames want to trade him, unless they were out the deadline?

The main reason another team would want him would be to perform in exactly the same role he would, if he remained in Calgary. He also has the right attitude, and would definitely elevate his game under playoff pressure (i.e Selke-caliber). Our own "Rent a Player" is the perfect analogy. He'll be returning from injury at just the right time, and adds depth up the middle. A few of the Western teams might not be ecstatic about the prospect of facing the a healthy lineup including both Yelle & Conroy. This neutralizes the other's teams scoring lines dramatically, and opens up the ice for Iginla & Donavan.

I agree, I mean, depending on the financial situation, just think if the Flames played the Av's in the 1st round they could nuetralize Forsberg AND Sakic (well, you know what I mean ;)) I think Conroy can still put up numbers too, I would like to just keep him and try to re-sign him because the chances are he may not be worth alot and the open market may not be that excited this summer (barring an early end to the CBA) He may be keepable, plus if he walks over the summer and then the CBA changes everything, it might not be that big a deal as the whole league could be in turmoil theoretically. I wouldn't mind seeing him with Donovan and Reinprecht perhaps?

Ozy_Flame 01-15-2004 08:56 PM

I hear Jeff O'Neill is available. He would be a good replacement for Conroy not only for the post-season, but also for the future. His price is relatively cheap for a first line center, and he might fit into the Sutter system. I'd say if we can dump Conroy, and trade away a bit of youth (which Carolina would probably want) in a package for the guy, by all means do it!

Badger Bob 01-16-2004 04:06 AM

Another issue we have to keep in mind, if there are potential deadline deals, is the chemistry which has to be maintained. At least we know that the GM & coach are on the same page. ;) The team was able to continue to play well despite injuries to key players. It kind of overstates the obvious, but any trade has to be the right fit.