HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Roenick Suspended One Game (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=43757)

Winston Wolf 01-14-2004 10:15 AM

Roenick Suspended One Game

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=68024

He'll miss the home game against Toronto.

Dr Love 01-14-2004 10:17 AM

JR deserved the suspension, but Blaine Angus should sit for a game or two without pay as well. Players don't play well, they sit on the bench and get time to think about it. I see no reason why refs shouldn't.

Big Mama* 01-14-2004 10:33 AM

It helps when your team and GM is in Colin Campbell's good books. If Tucker had done the same thing he gets 3 games for sure.

swflyers8* 01-14-2004 10:46 AM

At least he is there for the second one. Hopefully, playing at home against the Laffs...I mean Leafs will get the guys pumped up. They are but need to get up a little more for this one. Maybe Lappy or Preems will make a surprise appearance.

I agree w/ the statement about Angus. The guy is horrible. Always has been.

Quote:

It helps when your team and GM is in Colin Campbell's good books. If Tucker had done the same thing he gets 3 games for sure.
That's Darcy fault. I don't think anyone being close w/ Campbell would help Darcy. He ruined any creditibility he ever did have with the antics he has pulled in the past.

Brad* 01-14-2004 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
JR deserved the suspension, but Blaine Angus should sit for a game or two without pay as well. Players don't play well, they sit on the bench and get time to think about it. I see no reason why refs shouldn't.

That's a good point Dr Love, I've never thought of it that way. Perhaps you should write a letter to league offices?

:)

Dr Love 01-14-2004 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersPhantoms33
That's a good point Dr Love, I've never thought of it that way. Perhaps you should write a letter to league offices?

:)

You know what, that's not a bad idea. It certainly can't hurt. Sometime this week when I get some time to sit down and organize my thoughts, I'll write a letter to the league about how maybe the refs should be sat. I'll even share it here.

Big Mama* 01-14-2004 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swflyers8
At least he is there for the second one. Hopefully, playing at home against the Laffs...I mean Leafs will get the guys pumped up. They are but need to get up a little more for this one. Maybe Lappy or Preems will make a surprise appearance.

I agree w/ the statement about Angus. The guy is horrible. Always has been.

That's Darcy fault. I don't think anyone being close w/ Campbell would help Darcy. He ruined any creditibility he ever did have with the antics he has pulled in the past.

Check that he would have received 5 games. And Roenick has credibility? No he plays for the favoured flyers. Didn't he high stick his good buddy Amonte? Tuck has never done that. He just likes to charge opposing benches. If JR did that he would be a hero without suspension.

paxtang 01-14-2004 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother Tucker
Check that he would have received 5 games. And Roenick has credibility? No he plays for the favoured flyers. Didn't he high stick his good buddy Amonte? Tuck has never done that. He just likes to charge opposing benches. If JR did that he would be a hero without suspension.

Well obviously, you aren't a homer so I don't need to explain any of it to you, but for one the league does bring reputation into acount when they decide suspensions. Whether that is right or wrong is debateable. I don't understand, however, how you can compare two completely different situations and somehow insinuate that Tucker got a raw deal while Roenick get's off easy. How highsticking Amonte have any bearing here? Tucker has been known to be a loose cannon, and unlike most Flyer's fans I like him, but that kind of stuff will get you suspended. Charging the other team's bench instead of just waiting till that player is on the ice to fight him is a dumb move, and anything involving coming off a bench or onto one and fights=lenghthy suspension.

Flyman 01-14-2004 11:23 AM

JR deserves this suspension, no doubt about that.
But I agree with his comments.
Now, he's gonna miss a huge match against the Laffs and it was not the perfect moment for this. I hope the team will regroup to face this loss...

DanKordicsFist 01-14-2004 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyman
JR deserves this suspension, no doubt about that.
But I agree with his comments.
Now, he's gonna miss a huge match against the Laffs and it was not the perfect moment for this. I hope the team will regroup to face this loss...

The Flyers won't win or lose based on if JR is in or not. He hasn't been very effective offensively and the goaltending and D need to be much stronger regardless of who is in or out. When I say D I mean ALL the players giving the effort. They played with some amount of urgency or desperation at the end of last night, but they need 60 minutes of good play. The team CAN make up for the goaltending, see Oct and NOV, Lapointe and Primeau will help, but EVERYONE needs to get on board.

Blindside9711 01-14-2004 01:18 PM

Quote:

Good god. This is a Flyers board, does Daisy Tucker play for the Flyers? I'm glad he doesn't. Quit trolling and cry to your Leaf boardmates.

Toonces 01-14-2004 01:44 PM

One game + $91,463.41

http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/pr...chive/1395.asp

Rex88 01-14-2004 01:46 PM

I saw the game and the water bottle was not even close to the guy.
I thought he would get two games but one is not crazy.
Also, for your benefit, you can launch your stick into the crowd when angered for a one game suspension.
Agree the instigator rule is awful.

Brad* 01-14-2004 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerwilliams
difference between the two sundin had a mental block and i agree with his suspension, roenick should get 10 games FOR NOT HITTING ANUS OOPS ANGUS IN THE FRIGGIN HEAD :yo:

Why was Sundin's stick tossing incident any less dangerous because he had a 'mental block'?

stanley 01-14-2004 02:09 PM

I don't know, FP, but if I ruled the world, anybody using emoticons rather than a written language would be taken out back and beaten with pointed sticks. Well, maybe stabbed with pointed sticks, or beaten with unpointed sticks. Does anybody think a pointed stick would be a better beating tool than a regular unpointed stick? I does have less mass, meaning one could get more speed when swinging, although the momentum would be compromised somewhat by the lower mass. I'm confused.

As for the Flyers being a favorite of Colin Campbell, let it be known that I question that notion. I wish I could find the text, but I recall that Clarke and Campbell have an on-ice history together that doesn't lead one to believe they're the best of friends.

"Favored Flyers" - that's a good one. While I don't subscribe to the notion that they're hated by NHL officials, I certainly don't see how they're favored. I think they're a team that really suffers from the lack of obstruction calls, particularly interference on forechecking forwards by the defenseman not chasing the puck on dump-ins. I really wish the NHL would start calling interference, but I also put a lot of hope into getting a pony and fire engine for Christmas, so I'm not counting on it.

Inquirer article: http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...ey/7711148.htm

At least it's positive to read that the organization is not imploding off the ice.

Brad* 01-14-2004 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanley
I don't know, FP, but if I ruled the world, anybody using emoticons rather than a written language would be taken out back and beaten with pointed sticks. Well, maybe stabbed with pointed sticks, or beaten with unpointed sticks. Does anybody think a pointed stick would be a better beating tool than a regular unpointed stick? I does have less mass, meaning one could get more speed when swinging, although the momentum would be compromised somewhat by the lower mass. I'm confused.

Generally, whenever I beat my children I go the route of the pointed stick. After the beating I take extra enjoyment in using the pointed end to taunt them. Brats.

Quote:

As for the Flyers being a favorite of Colin Campbell, let it be known that I question that notion. I wish I could find the text, but I recall that Clarke and Campbell have an on-ice history together that doesn't lead one to believe they're the best of friends.

"Favored Flyers" - that's a good one. While I don't subscribe to the notion that they're hated by NHL officials, I certainly don't see how they're favored. I think they're a team that really suffers from the lack of obstruction calls, particularly interference on forechecking forwards by the defenseman not chasing the puck on dump-ins. I really wish the NHL would start calling interference, but I also put a lot of hope into getting a pony and fire engine for Christmas, so I'm not counting on it.

Inquirer article: http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...ey/7711148.htm

At least it's positive to read that the organization is not imploding off the ice.

The problem with NHL refs today is the consistency from night to night, itís terrible. How is one supposed to know the limits when something that is called one night wonít be called the next?

Maybe thatís inevitable, I donít know. Itís sure frustrating though, and Iím not even a player.

Brad* 01-14-2004 02:19 PM

Quote:

diff. is roenick knew exactly what and where he wanted to throw that bottle, other then that they have to go to 1 ref and let guys police themselves , let jeremyb deck the guy who **** up his face

One of the players who high-sticked him was Sami Kapanen, so I'm not sure that logic is going to work.

sluggo* 01-14-2004 02:38 PM

The Flyers won't win or lose based on if JR is in or not

You say that now, but after the Leafs kick their ***** in game 1 all the Flyer fans will be crying "if we had had JR we would have won".

Winston Wolf 01-14-2004 02:40 PM

Quote:

I don't know, FP, but if I ruled the world, anybody using emoticons rather than a written language would be taken out back and beaten with pointed sticks. Well, maybe stabbed with pointed sticks, or beaten with unpointed sticks.

:shakehead

:D :p

Winston Wolf 01-14-2004 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sluggo
The Flyers won't win or lose based on if JR is in or not

You say that now, but after the Leafs kick their ***** in game 1 all the Flyer fans will be crying "if we had had JR we would have won".

Ok sluggo, now crawl back into the hole you came from.

lafite 01-14-2004 03:45 PM

Quote:

diff. is roenick knew exactly what and where he wanted to throw that bottle, other then that they have to go to 1 ref and let guys police themselves , let jeremyb deck the guy who **** up his face

Surely the suspension was more for his tirade after the game where he named the Ref about 8 times, punctuated by a whole bunch of words that sounded like "beep" on the interview. He threw in a pretty good shot at the NHL while he was at it. I think there were a lot of players throughout the league that were glad he said what he did, but I thought he would get more. Maybe the league is hard pressed to argue his point.

stardog 01-14-2004 03:51 PM

Quote:

I'm neither a Flyer fan or a Toronto fan but I find this incredibly odd that you are comparing J.R's credibility to that of Darcy Tucker.
I have watched him play for a number of years, and the antics this guy has pulled in that time give him a well deserved dose of bad credibility.
To defend that is just plain wrong, as it is indefensable. Perhaps J.R has pulled his share of stunts over his career, but Tucker has gone above and beyond that throughout his.
Besides the fact that JR has always been an all star calibre hockey player while Tucker's first few years in the league he was a sideshow with a pea brain and little NHL calibre talent.
It is only in the last couple of years that he has been able to prove that he can actually play the game, but his reputation preceeds him, and well so.

stardog 01-14-2004 03:56 PM

Quote:

difference between the two sundin had a mental block and i agree with his suspension, roenick should get 10 games FOR NOT HITTING ANUS OOPS ANGUS IN THE FRIGGIN HEAD :yo:

No he shouldn't. One game is sufficent. Two years ago Kovalev shot the puck at a referee, after a goal was scored and it hit the ref in the back. It was pretty funny, but he got a one gamer also I believe. Precedent set.

DJ Spinoza 01-14-2004 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love

Agreed. Good luck writing the letter. I'll check back to see that letter.

Hope the NHL doesn't try to suspend you from going to any games, though. ;)

jplush76 01-14-2004 06:08 PM

I'm glad JR will be sitting, man let the guy heal that face up a little.