HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What could Pittsburgh's #1 fetch? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=43787)

Steve Latin* 01-14-2004 11:11 AM

What could Pittsburgh's #1 fetch?

Assuming that a trade is made before the lottery, what would a team be willing to part with to take a gamble at Ovechkin? Would this pick be enough to fetch a highly touted young player that has not lived up to expectations (Lecavalier) or is currently struggling (Gaborik)?

S L

degroat* 01-14-2004 11:28 AM

Too bad Mario couldn't afford Demitra.

McDonald19 01-14-2004 11:57 AM

keep the pick...build around Ovechkin and Fleury...

Lambert Closse 01-14-2004 11:59 AM

Ovechkin

THE END

King Fish 01-14-2004 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lambert Closse

Ovechkin

THE END

I think he meant what would other teams offer for Pittsburgh's first pick. I would offer Gange and a 3rd round pick. Hitch's system does not seem to fit with his style. Before the new defensive system he was progressing very well with 33 goals in 2000-2001. He could be a 30+ goal scorer with Pittsburgh easily.

spence___ 01-14-2004 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Fish
I would offer Gange and a 3rd round pick.

good for you

loveshack2 01-14-2004 04:55 PM

Considering that that pick is the most likely pick to be Ovechkin they could likely get almost anything they wanted for it.

Aside from the obvious young superstars like Kovalchuk, Gaborik, Thorton, etc. I dont think there's much they wouldnt be able to get for it if they put it on the market.

rnyquist 01-14-2004 04:55 PM

Quote:

I think he meant what would other teams offer for Pittsburgh's first pick. I would offer Gange and a 3rd round pick. Hitch's system does not seem to fit with his style. Before the new defensive system he was progressing very well with 33 goals in 2000-2001. He could be a 30+ goal scorer with Pittsburgh easily.

Gagne and a 3rd for a franchise player, possibly the best prospect since Lemieux, and all you offer is Gagne and a 3rd?! you're ******** I swear it, have that looked at tomorrow. If you wanted the 1st your going to be giving up Gagne, Pitkanen and your 2nd, at least

HeHateMeFrisbee 01-14-2004 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnyquist
Gagne and a 3rd for a franchise player, possibly the best prospect since Lemieux, and all you offer is Gagne and a 3rd?! you're ******** I swear it, have that looked at tomorrow. If you wanted the 1st your going to be giving up Gagne, Pitkanen and your 2nd, at least

tell him his propasal sucks, but the insults arent cool.

King Fish 01-14-2004 05:18 PM

Quote:

Easy chief, did you watch the WJC? Best prospect since Lemieux? You're not going to get much more than a 30 goal scorer under 23 because we are talking about a PROSPECT! Have you been watching the draft in the last few years? Should we throw in Comrie and Williams too...clown.

rnyquist 01-14-2004 05:20 PM

Quote:

Easy chief, did you watch the WJC? Best prospect since Lemieux? You're not going to get much more than a 30 goal scorer under 23 because we are talking about a PROSPECT! Have you been watching the draft in the last few years? Should we throw in Comrie and Williams too...clown.

THis isn't just any prospect here, I mean the kid played in the Russian super league at 16, a league considered by many BARELLY a step down from the NHL, and he dominated at 16. He was among the top scoring of the WJC every year AND he plays a tough physical game, something not many russian forwards do. The kid is amazing, franchise, you really haven't done your research on this kid obviously.........clown :joker:

King Fish 01-14-2004 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence___
good for you

full of whit.

Winston Wolf 01-14-2004 05:33 PM

Quote:

THis isn't just any prospect here, I mean the kid played in the Russian super league at 16, a league considered by many BARELLY a step down from the NHL, and he dominated at 16. He was among the top scoring of the WJC every year AND he plays a tough physical game, something not many russian forwards do. The kid is amazing, franchise, you really haven't done your research on this kid obviously.........clown :joker:

If you think the Russian Super League is "BARELY" (only one L ;) ) a step down from the NHL, then I think you're the clown. The NHL is superior to every other league in the planet.

And yeah, he's just the flavor of the year (I do think Ovechkin will be good, but people HIGHLY overrate prospects here) two years ago it was Bouwmeester, before that it was Lecavalier, before that it was Thornton, before that it was Daigle, and before that it was Lindros. Next year it will be Crosby, and so on....

All of them had the same kind of hype as Ovechkin (if not more.) As much as everyone thinks he's a once a decade prospect; he's not.

King Fish 01-14-2004 05:41 PM

Quote:

He is an excellent talent and goal scorer but he does NOT play physical and he floats like most russian scorers. I can't believe you watched the tournament and are calling Ovcheckin physical. He is a very good PROSPECT! I don't think teams will be willing to give up anywhere near what you think he will command. Do you honestly think Philadelphia would give up Gagne and Pitkanen for Pittsburgh's #1. I guess we agree to disagree.

not quite yoda 01-14-2004 05:47 PM

Quote:

He is an excellent talent and goal scorer but he does NOT play physical and he floats like most russian scorers. I can't believe you watched the tournament and are calling Ovcheckin physical.

Ovechkin does not fight but he is physical. He is big, he hits and goes into the corners. He patterns his game after Owen Nolan's. Is Owen Nolan physical?
And the only "floating" he does is when he levitates over the ice.

Big McLargehuge 01-14-2004 06:00 PM

To put it bluntly, more than anyone would be willing to give up.

jumptheshark 01-14-2004 06:04 PM

Whomever gets the guy--they must have the ability to wait for the guy. So far he has not shown the stuff that says he will not make an immidiate impact-----

Darth Milbury 01-14-2004 06:05 PM

As an Islander fan, I'd offer Trent Hunter and Matias Weinhandl

Darth Milbury 01-14-2004 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lloyd Wright
As the worlds greatest architect i'd like to add my two cents on this one. As an isles fan i'd think twice about trading 2 potentially very good 1st liners for the chance of drafting this Ovechkin...Of course this is all MHO....

Frank Lloyd Wright

Actually, I think the Isles would have to add a 2nd rounder to that package.

Habsfunk 01-14-2004 06:32 PM

In 2001 the Montreal Canadiens offered Andrei Markov, Mathieu Garon, Richard Zednik and the 8th and 25th picks overall for Ilya Kovalchuk. Atlanta turned this down saying they wanted Theodore instead of Garon.

I imagine it would take a similar package to get Ovechkin, if not more.

loveshack2 01-14-2004 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsfunk
In 2001 the Montreal Canadiens offered Andrei Markov, Mathieu Garon, Richard Zednik and the 8th and 25th picks overall for Ilya Kovalchuk. Atlanta turned this down saying they wanted Theodore instead of Garon.

I imagine it would take a similar package to get Ovechkin, if not more.

That was *after* the lottery though I believe. So Montreal knew exactly who they'd be getting with that pick. The starter of this thread clearly stated that this theoretical trade would be taking place *before* the lottery. So even though you'd have statistically the best chance of getting the #1 overall there would still be an element of risk involved.

Hextall27 01-14-2004 07:01 PM

Buffalo tried to give Satan, Biron and their first round pick for Kovalchuck. So would pittsburgh do a similar deal this year? what if $ wasnt an issue.

me2 01-14-2004 08:17 PM

Quote:

Hmmmmm.

1) How many elite can't miss prospects have blown the NHL away? (ie Lecavalier? Nope. Spezza? Nope. Kovalchuk? Pipped Spezza at the draft and has been brilliant etc). For every prospect that lives up to potential there are more that don't.

2) Who said the #1 is going to the Pengs. There is at least a 50% chance it doesn't.

If Overchkin becomes everything he is hyped to be AND the pengs pick drafts him then may Gagne, Pitkanen and your 2nd isn't enough. But Gagne, Pitkanen and your 2nd is a hell of a lot for give up for a 25% chance the pick turns out.

Jacob 01-14-2004 08:29 PM

But it's not Ovechkin or nothing. If you lose, you still get Malkin.

clefty 01-14-2004 08:45 PM

If I were Penguins GM, I wouldn't even listen to any offer that doesn't resemble the Lindros trade. Even then, the offer would have to be better than that of the Lindros trade.

It doesn't matter anyway. Suffice to say, the Penguins #1 pick will not be traded away.