HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Theodore: Hart Trophy again@! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=43909)

tinyzombies 01-14-2004 07:25 PM

Theodore: Hart Trophy again@!

Who are the Hart Trophy candidates this year?

Brodeur was up until a couple weeks ago
Theodore
Sundin
Datsyuk?

Spotnick 01-14-2004 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Who are the Hart Trophy candidates this year?

Brodeur was up until a couple weeks ago
Theodore
Sundin
Datsyuk?

Nah... Theodore is not Hart candidate this year, he doesn't have the same impact he had 2 years ago, the team in front of his doesn't rely ONLY on him like in the past... and the shots are lower!

I think Kovalchuk comes to mind as a logical candidate, although he is in a slump right now, maybe Markus Naslund again?

Fish on The Sand 01-14-2004 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spotnick
Nah... Theodore is not Hart candidate this year, he doesn't have the same impact he had 2 years ago, the team in front of his doesn't rely ONLY on him like in the past... and the shots are lower!

I think Kovalchuk comes to mind as a logical candidate, although he is in a slump right now, maybe Markus Naslund again?

Naslund hasn't won it before.

Necrophile 01-14-2004 09:29 PM

Kovalchuk would be a good candidate, but only if the Thrashers make the playoffs.

Physical HABuse 01-15-2004 05:03 AM

I disagree witht he comment that Theodore isn't having the same impact as 2 years ago. I don't think the Habs would be anywhere near the position they are in...without Theodore, and with Garon in the nets. We have won numerous one-goal games...and tied numerous games where he was absolutely solid. Yesterday's game against the Thrashers was an excellent example where he basically stone-walled them in the first period. You can still win the Hart trophy while being on a good team. You are allowed......Gretzky was allowed......Lemieux was allowed....even Hasek was allowed to be on a good playoff team.....and win it. I really do think he makes a huge impact on this team. The next few weeks may show us just how much.

Darz 01-15-2004 05:09 AM

I think there is are no clear cut Hart candidates this year with a group of about 10 or so guys in the running, and I gotta beleive Theodore is one of them. Lots of hockey left in this season and time for a few guys to break out of the pack, but right now, imo, Theodore deserves consideration.

I would say my group right now would include:
Naslund, Kovalchuk, Sundin, Alfredsson, Brodeur, Theodore, Pronger, Sakic, Bertuzzi, and Iginla

Tuggy 01-15-2004 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz
I think there is are no clear cut Hart candidates this year with a group of about 10 or so guys in the running, and I gotta beleive Theodore is one of them. Lots of hockey left in this season and time for a few guys to break out of the pack, but right now, imo, Theodore deserves consideration.

I would say my group right now would include:
Naslund, Kovalchuk, Sundin, Alfredsson, Brodeur, Theodore, Pronger, Sakic, Bertuzzi, and Iginla

All your canadates will get consideration except Bertuzzi :dunno: not sure why you said him....

It's too early to say who is going to win MVP, with 30+ games remaining many things can happen. But if Theo continues his strong play he will have a chance to be a finalist.

habsfan19 01-15-2004 06:04 AM

Theo deserves consideration, without him, we're not 5th in the east right now
just look at a game like last night, no Theo, no win, he bailed them out so many times

Histrion 01-15-2004 06:51 AM

Well, he might be in the top 5 nominate for the award, but I don't think he'll get it. They might as well consider Pronger who is playing a lot and achoring a crappy defense there in St. Louis.

It is hard to predict, especially in January, eh...

tinyzombies 01-15-2004 09:28 AM

We just went through an easy part of the schedule and are looking good, but there are some heavy bumps on the way and it will be up to Theodore to get us through. If he does, I like his chances for MVP again.

Iginla is also a strong contender lately, but he had a slow start, so he has to pile up some numbers in a hurry.

Everyone is talking about Mats Sundin too. Apparently he's been carrying that team along with Belfour especially with all their injuries and still in first place.

JOHNNY V 01-15-2004 02:58 PM

JOE THORNTON :handclap:

AlexandreTheNotSoGreat 01-15-2004 06:20 PM

If Luongo can get the Panthers into the playoffs, he'll have a really good chance of winning the Hart. As it stands now, I doubt he'll be able to carry the team to a playoff spot.

Theodore does deserve consideration right now, but so do many others. I think it's a pretty close right now with players like Naslund, Sakic, Theodore, Brodeur, and Kolvachuk all in the race. Keep in mind that Brodeur does have 9 shutouts so far, and is on pace for a record number of shutouts in a year. That will greatly help him in the voting.

Mathletic 01-15-2004 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHNNY V

I'm all for him, look at the stats when he records a point and we he doesn't

#44_delivers 01-15-2004 06:30 PM

Quote:

id take soooooo many players over him in a second.
and no...
theo doesnt desreve the hart.
too many habs showed a great supporting role this season. there doing good as a team right now.

Darz 01-16-2004 04:12 AM

Quote:

I can see Thornton recieve some consideration, but I think he will need to take his game a level higher for the rest of the year to merit serious consideration.

He definately in my books is one of the best players in the game.

oli500 01-16-2004 06:02 AM

This is a long shot but what about sheldon souray. He gives it all hes got night in night out. Not only does he put up points on the board but also plays great defence. He rimindes me of a certain ray bourque the way he shouts the puck and his ability to read the game.

tinyzombies 01-16-2004 02:21 PM

Quote:

Hell no. Maybe if you feed him some prozac

JOHNNY V 01-17-2004 03:21 AM

Quote:

Hell no. Maybe if you feed him some prozac

And whats THEO on... :p

JOHNNY V 01-17-2004 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oli500
This is a long shot but what about sheldon souray. He gives it all hes got night in night out. Not only does he put up points on the board but also plays great defence. He rimindes me of a certain ray bourque the way he shouts the puck and his ability to read the game.

sheldon sour is no RAY BOURQUE, just compare stats ... :p

Medicine Twin 01-17-2004 03:28 AM

I think the Hart Trophy considerations should lean more towards skaters than goaltenders. With that in mind I don't think Theo is a candidate.

Iginla
Naslund
Thornton
Kovalchuk
Brodeur

... in no particular order.

StanAjax 01-17-2004 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medicine Twin
I think the Hart Trophy considerations should lean more towards skaters than goaltenders.

Why? Today's game is a goaltender's game. The number of great goalies has increased but in each team, the good tenure of the goaltender is a factor in team success.
Just look at Calgary and Kiprusoff...... That's when he arrived that Calgary and Iginla went on fire.
On the opposite, the Flyers nosedived with Hackett's play.....
Etc, etc.......

Medicine Twin 01-17-2004 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanAjax
Why? Today's game is a goaltender's game. The number of great goalies has increased but in each team, the good tenure of the goaltender is a factor in team success.
Just look at Calgary and Kiprusoff...... That's when he arrived that Calgary and Iginla went on fire.
On the opposite, the Flyers nosedived with Hackett's play.....
Etc, etc.......

That's exactly why Hart trophy considerations should lean towards skaters instead of goalies. Everyone who knows anything about hockey knows that the goaltender is the most important player on the ice. It's not fair to skaters to be compared with goalies when it comes to their importance to their team.

tinyzombies 01-17-2004 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medicine Twin
That's exactly why Hart trophy considerations should lean towards skaters instead of goalies. Everyone who knows anything about hockey knows that the goaltender is the most important player on the ice. It's not fair to skaters to be compared with goalies when it comes to their importance to their team.

It's a subjective trophy anyway, but I don't see how you can remove a goaltender from consideration. They are a player on the ice as well. If a defenseman can win it, then a goaltender can. Just because there are different jobs to do and roles to play doesn't mean you can exclude any one job or role.

Team_Spirit 01-17-2004 01:30 PM

Sundin ( how many GWG ? he's really the leader in TOR )
Theodore
Naslund
Iginla

Medicine Twin 01-17-2004 05:49 PM

Quote:

It's a subjective trophy anyway, but I don't see how you can remove a goaltender from consideration. They are a player on the ice as well. If a defenseman can win it, then a goaltender can. Just because there are different jobs to do and roles to play doesn't mean you can exclude any one job or role.

I'm not saying that goalies shouldn't be allowed to win it. Just that the voters should take into consideration that goalies are always the most important player to their team, and try to give skaters more credit for what they do. Otherwise it will end up another Vezina.