HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rumour: Boston interested in O'Neill (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=44055)

ginner classic 01-15-2004 09:27 AM

Rumour: Boston interested in O'Neill

I heard this yesterday morning (Wednesday) on the Team 1040 in Vancouver while driving my girl to work. Have not heard it since then and was wondering if anyone else heard this and if there is any news out of Boston or Carolina to confirm this. One would think Sammy would be going the other way. I think Hill and O'Neill (the package Nux fans have been interested in) for Sammy and a D prospect would be in the ballpark.

Histrion 01-15-2004 09:51 AM

I don't think I'd trade Samsonov and a d-man for O'Neill and Hill, I think that Samsonov has too big of an upside to trade him when his value isn't that high compared to the talent he really has.

BronxBruin 01-15-2004 10:17 AM

There was a rumor about a week ago about a deal involving Brian Rolston and Jeff O'Neill. I'm sure the Hurricanes would probably have more interest in Samsonov than the UFA-to-be Rolston. From the B's point of view, they have two big wingers in Murray and Knuble (though they are both UFA's as well) while Samsonov is really their only skilled playmaker on the wings. So it could be argued that Boston needs Samsonov more than they need O'Neill. Otherwise, the value seems pretty fair.

Bruwinz37 01-15-2004 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginner
I heard this yesterday morning (Wednesday) on the Team 1040 in Vancouver while driving my girl to work. Have not heard it since then and was wondering if anyone else heard this and if there is any news out of Boston or Carolina to confirm this. One would think Sammy would be going the other way. I think Hill and O'Neill (the package Nux fans have been interested in) for Sammy and a D prospect would be in the ballpark.

I doubt Samsonov would be going the other way but you never know.

I do believe there is interest on the part of the Bruins to get O'Neil. It was reported by Russ Conway who is not a BS rumor monger at all.

ginner classic 01-15-2004 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
I doubt Samsonov would be going the other way but you never know.

I do believe there is interest on the part of the Bruins to get O'Neil. It was reported by Russ Conway who is not a BS rumor monger at all.

Does Conway write in the Herald or Globe? Never heard of him before.

blurbruin 01-15-2004 10:56 AM

Quote:

Eagle Tribune

ginner classic 01-15-2004 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blurbruin
Eagle Tribune

Found it....."Word here is that the Carolina Hurricanes are trying to put a deal together with the Bruins for Brian Rolston and P.J. Axelsson. Carolina's Jeff O'Neill and Jarislav Svoboda are trade bait. ..."

Thanks

bleedgreen 01-15-2004 11:54 AM

as a canes fan, ive been hearing oneill to bruins rumours for a couple of years now. I dont thinkthey come from carolina-not exactly trade rumour central - and i think there has to be something to it. Supposedly the bruins almost traded anson carter for him a couple years ago. I think the Bruins want him, and are waiting for the canes to get antsy and just give him away. I think he would be a good Bruin, though as an old whale fan- it would be tough to see him in the uniform. I would rather see the canes go after a young bruin defenseman for him than samsonov. sammie alone isnt going to make the canes score.

Les Ouragans 01-15-2004 11:59 AM

Thought I like both players, I'm not sure I see how Rolston and Axelsson make Carolina a better team. I do think O'Neill may end up elsewhere - maybe pending the next three games which are the whole season for the Canes...maybe not - but don't think O'Neill will go in any salary dump-based move, its going to have to be more strategic move to get him. He doesn't make THAT much. We'll have to get something that provides us a core guy.

Bruwinz37 01-15-2004 12:08 PM

Quote:

Young man you best brush up on your hockey history!! :teach:

Russ Conway was the man that is responsible for the fall of Alan Eagleson as head of the players union.

If you next question is Alan Eagleson you might get detention! ;)

Bruwinz37 01-15-2004 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedgreen
as a canes fan, ive been hearing oneill to bruins rumours for a couple of years now. I dont thinkthey come from carolina-not exactly trade rumour central - and i think there has to be something to it. Supposedly the bruins almost traded anson carter for him a couple years ago. I think the Bruins want him, and are waiting for the canes to get antsy and just give him away. I think he would be a good Bruin, though as an old whale fan- it would be tough to see him in the uniform. I would rather see the canes go after a young bruin defenseman for him than samsonov. sammie alone isnt going to make the canes score.

That would be Bruins MO. They often find players they like and will continually be in the running for that person every time their name pops up (Tom Poti says hi).

I think O'Neil would be great on Joe's wing. It would all depend on what the Canes wnat though.........because if it is Samsonov then no go.

Adam West 01-15-2004 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caneflyer
Thought I like both players, I'm not sure I see how Rolston and Axelsson make Carolina a better team. I do think O'Neill may end up elsewhere - maybe pending the next three games which are the whole season for the Canes...maybe not - but don't think O'Neill will go in any salary dump-based move, its going to have to be more strategic move to get him. He doesn't make THAT much. We'll have to get something that provides us a core guy.

rolston and axelsson are far more valuable than their point totals might lead you to believe. as much as id like to see oneill become a bruin i wouldnt want it to come at the cost of axelsson he means way too much to this team.

bleedgreen 01-15-2004 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmir
rolston and axelsson are far more valuable than their point totals might lead you to believe. as much as id like to see oneill become a bruin i wouldnt want it to come at the cost of axelsson he means way too much to this team.

ditto oneill

ginner classic 01-15-2004 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
Young man you best brush up on your hockey history!! :teach:

Russ Conway was the man that is responsible for the fall of Alan Eagleson as head of the players union.

If you next question is Alan Eagleson you might get detention! ;)

of course....what the heck was the name of the book, Penalty Box??? It was Conway and a female author. Been a while. I heard him interviewed on Sportstalk in Vancouver in 91 or 92 after the book came out.

EDIT: Nevermind....Game Misconduct....does not list a female writer as well but I am sure he had a co-author, or was there another Eagleson expose at the same time?

Magnus Fulgur 01-15-2004 05:59 PM

So So

I'm all for the Bruins ditching Rolston and his heartless touchy-feely version of soccer on skates. He's a center who's lousy on faceoffs, wont go anywhere near the crease, and isn't a playmaker. And he can't check! He has good value as a PP and PK guy, but that's it. And is shot is very hard and very innacurate. We've needed a 2nd line center all year, and Green and Bergeron have filled in, while Rolston has done nothing to step up and take that mantle. Lousy lazy loser.

However, the B's should hold on to Axelsson by all means. If they want Svoboda, they're better off giving up Huml or Huml and a pick to get the deal done.

Strafer 01-15-2004 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wickedbsfan
I'm all for the Bruins ditching Rolston and his heartless touchy-feely version of soccer on skates. He's a center who's lousy on faceoffs, wont go anywhere near the crease, and isn't a playmaker. And he can't check! He has good value as a PP and PK guy, but that's it. And is shot is very hard and very innacurate. We've needed a 2nd line center all year, and Green and Bergeron have filled in, while Rolston has done nothing to step up and take that mantle. Lousy lazy loser.

However, the B's should hold on to Axelsson by all means. If they want Svoboda, they're better off giving up Huml or Huml and a pick to get the deal done.

Correction! Rolston is not a center! He was converted from LW a couple of years ago I think by Robbie Ftorek. With the right personnel he really shines (PJ) but of cours he has his detractors. Yes his faceoffs leave something to be desired but so would Samsonov if he were to convert to center. Playing center requires alot more responsibility than his natural position so how about cutting him a little slack! :teach: