HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   rules question regarding faceoff location (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=441668)

Trepanated 11-12-2007 02:32 PM

rules question regarding faceoff location

Suppose the punk is in one team's end, when the buzzer on the game clock goes off accidentally (i.e. it isn't the end of the period or anything). The refs then blow the whistle to sort things out. Where should the faceoff be? In the zone where the puck was, or back out to the neutral zone?

Thanks in advance.

Semper Sens 11-12-2007 03:09 PM

I think it would go to centre ice in those kinds of situations.

Trepanated 11-12-2007 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gc (Post 11173663)
I think it would go to centre ice in those kinds of situations.

I ask because this actually happened in my beer league game last night. I was playing center, the other team sent the puck down to the corner in our zone, when the buzzer went off. The refs had the ensuing faceoff in our zone. By way of explanation, he said "It wasn't their fault." Our goalie replied "It's not our fault either", but the decision had been made.

I checked the NHL rulebook and didn't see anything about this situation, although I certainly could have missed it. I know we have some refs hanging around here though, so I was curious to see what people thought.

jBuds 11-12-2007 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncarbtpmo (Post 11180698)
I ask because this actually happened in my beer league game last night. I was playing center, the other team sent the puck down to the corner in our zone, when the buzzer went off. The refs had the ensuing faceoff in our zone. By way of explanation, he said "It wasn't their fault." Our goalie replied "It's not our fault either", but the decision had been made.

I checked the NHL rulebook and didn't see anything about this situation, although I certainly could have missed it. I know we have some refs hanging around here though, so I was curious to see what people thought.

I'm pretty sure that the play from the last prior faceoff until the sound of the accidental buzzer would become void if the ref blows the whistle. They'd return the puck to the last previous spot, and hold the clock accordingly to so as to not miss any time.

lotus 11-12-2007 11:41 PM

I was pretty positive that in the event of a mistake by an official, it goes back to center ice? no?

RobertKron 11-13-2007 03:04 AM

For mistakes by the official, the faceoff goes to centre.

Gino 14 11-13-2007 06:24 AM

The puck was faced-off correctly in the end zone. It's the same as if icing was inadvertenly called, the face-off is in the end zone.

(f) If the Officials shall have erred in calling an “icing the puck”
infraction (regardless of whether either team is shorthanded)
a last play face-off (end zone face-off spot nearest to the
location of the puck when play was stopped) shall occur.

Why should the team who had the puck in their defending zone gain an advantage because of an error by the timekeeper? They shouldn't, the play stopped in that zone, the face-off remains in that zone.

frito 11-13-2007 12:36 PM

You didn't say if this was a botched icing or if the buzzer just went off during normal play thus causing the stoppage. The USA hockey rulebook states that the faceoff should go to the lsat play of the puck when that occurs. Last play of the puck is basically the last touch of the puck. So where ever it was touched last, that is where the faceoff should occur. If it was a botched icing, then it is in the faceoff circle at the other end.

MikeD 11-13-2007 08:07 PM

You didnt say how much time was left on the clock. If the time device is equiped with an automatic buzzer and it sounds and time stops with time remaining on the clock, the period is over. Generally, this would be any time remaining less than 30 seconds.

If the time keeping device w/ an automatic horn or buzzer malfunctions "last play" is the correct face off location(provided the ref has whistled a stoppage). The automatic sounding device should be DEACTIVATED and manual activation used for remainder of game.

In the situation where the home team is controlling the clock and the time keeper has inadvertently activated the horn(device has a manual activation for horn/buzzer): NOTE: Provided the ref has whistled a play stoppage....they do not have to do so. Most refs would glance at the clock, see it running with significant time remaining and verbally signal the players to continue.... PLAY TO THE WHISTLE.

1) If the home team(play) is in their offensive end, the face off is moved outside to the neutral zone. Home team is disadvantaged

2)If the home team is in their defensive end the face off is "last play" and remains inside the home teams defending zone. Home team gains no respite/advantage.

Stripes 11-13-2007 08:29 PM

The buzzer does not stop play other than at the end of a period. At any other time, only the on-ice officials can stop play.

If the buzzer sounds when it is not supposed to, generally the referee will blow play dead for obvious reasons. When that happens, the faceoff generally goes to the nearest legal puckdrop location to where the puck was when play was blown dead.

Trepanated 11-14-2007 01:22 AM

Thanks for all the replies. To answer some questions, it was an accidental buzzer that I assume was manually triggered by the scorekeeper*. There were about 2 to 2 and a half minutes left in the period as I recall. My league plays in several different rinks in the area, and this was actually the first time I've played in this one, so I don't know much about the scorekeeping system they have there, except to say that based on other things about the rink, it's probably ancient. Anyway, the refs did indeed blow the whistle after the buzzer stopped. From these replies I gather that keeping the faceoff in the end zone was correct.

* I also noticed on the scoresheet that the scorekeeper had the same last name as the person she picked as 1st star of the game (and we are not talking about a terribly common last name here either.) Now, this 1st star did end up with 2 assists, but they weren't brilliant plays, or even memorable in any way, and the 2nd star had 2 goals. So, yeah. Hmmm.