HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Finally (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=44208)

GKJ 01-15-2004 06:39 PM

Finally

I am back in business. My hiatus since before Thanksgiving has ended. For those who don't know, my computer was all messed up and I needed a new one, and it came today. Not having the internet is a major pain in the arse. Much has happened in my absence, so here is everything I've had to say in the past 2 months:

1. Love Mike Comrie, but at the time I think we gave up too much for him. With a first round pick, we probably could have picked up a potential 25-35 goal scorer with good playmaking skills, which with a 3rd rounder I would have given up, but not a 1st, 3rd AND Jeff Woywitka. I think Mike Comrie will be great, he has been so far, but I think we could have gotten him for less. However that is without being able to read various publications where something different was said, I don't know. Without the intnernet, I dont have the luxury of reading the Edmonton Sun without going to Edmonton and buying it. I don't think this means Michal Handzus is out, the Flyers can't afford to trade him for draft picks. I think this is a pre-CBA move. Keith Primeau's contract is up, if they can't (or won't as a CBA tatic) re-sign him, it's not going to leave a hole. This is a lot of centers to have, and the Flyers need to become younger in order to really get better and get back to where we were 7 years ago.

2. How much I missed the internet: I didn't know Eric Chouinard was traded to Minnesota until about a week ago. I think I would have waited until I could throw him in a package to get something else. To trade a 2nd round pick in a good draft, and less than a year later, dish him off for a 5th. That hurts wheather he got enough of a chance or not. I would have held on to him for a little longer. I have seen him play (watching center ice is how i found out he got traded, and then I asked my friend when we traded him, and he said "right after we got comrie" which by then was about a month later.

3. I saw much of Canada during the WJC's. I would have been the first to admit Jeff Carter and Mike Richards played pretty well. I still think Richards is better, and Carter still has to show me more, but I was pleasently suprised with his speed and how much Mike Richards was on the ice (played a lot of first line). The draft had me rather dismayed with the weekend in general, but watching the WJC's, I'm now rather excited with the potential of some guys, Stefan Ruzcika had a rather positive showing (btw--Dion Phaneuf's hit on Rostislav Olesz was mad wicked, for anyone who saw it)

4. The Flyers problem, in my opinion, is that there still isn't enough finishers. Goaltending is a problem, it's not a strength, but it's not why we're losing either. It's the same problem for the last 2 years. No one can score. Comrie is a finisher, Roenick is a finisher as long as he keeps his mouth shut and not complaining to the referees in the middle of play, but no one else has really proven they are true finishers this year. The Flyers are getting shots, lots of them, but that's not to say there aren't too many playmakers, other guys like John LeClair think they have skill and they don't. John LeClair has nothing more than a big body and a big shot (which never EVER hits the net). He can't pass, he can't skate, he can't be a tough guy and he can't play defense. He's Oleg Kvasha 10 years later now. He's never going to score 30 goals again. He's never going to be 100% healthy ever again. All of this and he is still getting 9 million dollars. He can go on waivers and go unclaimed. This is a problem that needs to be fixed with either deferred money, re-neogotiations, or a buyout. Anyways, I think there could either be too much talent or too much frustration, probably both. We have a lot of guys who can score a lot of goals. But I think too many people have the role of goal scorer. We need more of a separation of roles. This guy controls the puck, this guy is the scorer and this guy is the grinder. Someone put it on net and someone put it in. I don't think that's happening. They're getting shots but they're not good shots. They're taking shots hoping something is going to happen, and frankly I don't think they're doing enough to make anything happen down low. Sure they had 49 shots vs. Florida (which I think was a game they played well in)

5. Joni Pitkanen is the 3rd best defenseman on this team. Even with the power play slump (which we all knew was going to happen), he is doing some things that no one else on the team is capable of. One of which is keeping Mark Recchi off the point.

6. I said the Eagles would win 34-24. It was great that they were able to get it together. The 4th and goal stand turned it all around. The 4th and 1 punt made it beleivable. The 4th and 26 made it logical. And Brett Favre's INT in overtime made it happen. This is the playoffs. You don't just heave one up in overtime. I don't care if you're Brett Favre, the team of destiny, and the receivers have been making those plays. That was bound to happen, because Brett Favre is good for one inane "WTF" interception per game. Too bad for him, it was in OT.

DanKordicsFist 01-16-2004 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
.......he is doing some things that no one else on the team is capable of. One of which is keeping Mark Recchi off the point.

Thank you, it's not just me then. :handclap:

Toonces 01-16-2004 06:51 AM

Welcome back GKJ :)

Quote:

1. Love Mike Comrie, but at the time I think we gave up too much for him.

I'm not sure how we could have gotten a player of his caliber for much less. I beleive that Woywitka is going to be a solid defenseman, but I doubt that the first round pick will turn into anybody who will be nearly as good as Comrie. Without that first round pick I bet Comrie goes to Anahiem.

Quote:

I don't think this means Michal Handzus is out, the Flyers can't afford to trade him for draft picks. I think this is a pre-CBA move. Keith Primeau's contract is up, if they can't (or won't as a CBA tatic) re-sign him, it's not going to leave a hole..

I had not thought of that. One thing to consider though is the exelent play of Patrick Sharp. While I don't beleive that he has the offensive upside that Handzus has, Sharp may be able to fill the hole that Handzus would leave in a trade. I hadn't thought about Primeau's contract being a possible motive for keeping him on, but right now Handzus is burried on the fourth line (with everybody healthy) which severely effects his preformance. I'm also not sure that Handzus is quick enough to step in and play Primeau's role on the team.

Quote:

4. The Flyers problem, in my opinion, is that there still isn't enough finishers. Goaltending is a problem, it's not a strength, but it's not why we're losing either. It's the same problem for the last 2 years. No one can score. Comrie is a finisher, Roenick is a finisher as long as he keeps his mouth shut and not complaining to the referees in the middle of play, but no one else has really proven they are true finishers this year. The Flyers are getting shots, lots of them, but that's not to say there aren't too many playmakers, other guys like John LeClair think they have skill and they don't. John LeClair has nothing more than a big body and a big shot (which never EVER hits the net). He can't pass, he can't skate, he can't be a tough guy and he can't play defense. He's Oleg Kvasha 10 years later now. He's never going to score 30 goals again. He's never going to be 100% healthy ever again.

I agree with you in concept, but not your exact wording. The Flyers have plenty of goal scorers, but the problem right now is that they all want to play like Gretz. Perhaps it IS too much talent like you say, or the fact that they have bloated heads from earlier in the season when the goals were coming in bunches. They need to fire the puck and go to the net, no more fancy passes, just get it on net and dig. I absolutely aggree with your assessment on LeClair, he's finished, and it's sad to see. He doesn't have that extra "bounce" in his legs he used to have, and he seems to be taken off the puck very easily now. Gone are the days when LeClair would drag two players on his back from the corner to the net to score a goal, or setup a play.

I don't know anything about football, so I won't comment further ;)

Welcome back GKJ!

GKJ 01-16-2004 07:22 AM

I don't think Handzus stays on the 4th line. I'd like to see him get moved up and play with Primeau on a wing and Kapanen on the other side. Primeau may be out of position, but that would be our best possible shutdown line. I don't think Primeau is any better of a skater than Handzus is, and I think Handzus will be around longer than Primeau will.

This team MUST get younger, I don't care who is captain, or who Hitchcock is in love with on this team. The Flyers are not going to win the Cup with the core we have now as it is.

Overtime 01-17-2004 05:10 PM

5. Joni Pitkanen is the 3rd best defenseman on this team. Even with the power play slump (which we all knew was going to happen), he is doing some things that no one else on the team is capable of. One of which is keeping Mark Recchi off the point.

Care to rescind that statement now? Recchi on the point and its Johnsson, not Recchi who screws up - twice. Then Pitkanen on the PP screws up and its nearly a SH goal against.

GKJ 01-17-2004 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overtime

Care to rescind that statement now? Recchi on the point and its Johnsson, not Recchi who screws up - twice. Then Pitkanen on the PP screws up and its nearly a SH goal against.

Last time I checked Pitkanen was a rookie and Recchi has been in the league for about 14 years.

A play from Kim Johnsson also directly led to the goal that broke the game open on the power play, not to mention we had 2 power play goals. So why are you complaining? Pitkanen has been better on the power play this season than Recchi as a whole to start with.

DanKordicsFist 01-17-2004 05:47 PM

Recchi has had his share of bad decisions/screwups tonight on the point.