HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Popular trading targets on Thursday Night (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=44263)

officeglen 01-16-2004 05:00 AM

Popular trading targets on Thursday Night

"Big George" Laraque - did not play. Value dropping. Contract hinders movement - why did KLo sign him to a 3 year deal? In order to move him will the Oil agree to pay part of year 2 and 3 if he is a bust?

Jeff "O'no" O'Neill - Bob McKenzie of TSN says he's on the open market - in a 5-4 loss had 19:07 of ice time (coach still likes him) with 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 shots on net, -1 and a two minute penalty for interference. Value dropping. Problem with trading him is the Canes need the same thing but improved back in return - a scoring winger. However trading coaches did nothing.

Vincent "the Prince" Lecavalier - 15:49 of ice time, 0 goals, 0 assists, 4 shots on net, 0 plus/minus in the 5-4 win. For comparison Richards had 21:11 of ice time with 1 goal, 2 assists, +1, 3 shots on net. Value steady if you accept Richards is the Tampa #1. For season comparison, Fredrik Modin (21:42 of ice time last night) has 25 points, +16, Lecavalier has 23 points, -3.

Radek "Bonkers" Bonk - After a two assist night Tuesday, Bonkers had 18:34 of ice time, 0 goals, 0 assists, -2, 3 shots on goal, 2 minutes for tripping, in a 4-4 kiss your sister. Spezza was 0-0, +1 in 19:37 of ice time.

So that leaves Big George with the big sitout, and fans developing a big Bonk-Lecavalier-O'Neill blockbuster.

WhoIsJimBob 01-16-2004 05:23 AM

Quote:

Jeff "O'no" O'Neill - Bob McKenzie of TSN says he's on the open market - in a 5-4 loss had 19:07 of ice time (coach still likes him) with 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 shots on net, -1 and a two minute penalty for interference. Value dropping. Problem with trading him is the Canes need the same thing but improved back in return - a scoring winger. However trading coaches did nothing.
I'm still wondering if a deal centering around Satan for O'Neill could happen.......

Ajacied 01-16-2004 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bob
I'm still wondering if a deal centering around Satan for O'Neill could happen.......

Why on God's green earth would the Canes expose O'Neill, just to aquire Satan, while in fact the reason O'Neill could be had, is since he's too old for the team's future plans? What makes you think Satan, who's older, would be in the interest of the Canes when they are trying to deal their franchise player because he's too old, at just 27..

Team Dandenault 01-16-2004 06:26 AM

The Whalercanes have gotten rid of nearly every good or great player they've ever had. Shanahan, Pronger, Burke, Holik, etc, etc... It would come as no shock to me to see them toss another one away. Jim Rutherford is just godawful. And I doubt the Sabes would even have to give up a player of Satan's caliber to get O'Neill.

Habsaku 01-16-2004 06:30 AM

The first three would be welcomed on the Habs, how about a deal centered around Buturlin, Traverse and Rivet?

What would it take to get Laraque and O'neil? Draft picks? Lower or top tier prospects? Established NHlers(Zednik lets say).

WhoIsJimBob 01-16-2004 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modano = God
Why on God's green earth would the Canes expose O'Neill, just to aquire Satan, while in fact the reason O'Neill could be had, is since he's too old for the team's future plans? What makes you think Satan, who's older, would be in the interest of the Canes when they are trying to deal their franchise player because he's too old, at just 27..

I figured that the Canes would have a hard time moving O'Neill strictly for futures and might be interested in a move like this to try and shake up the offense for the remainder of this season.

If the Canes are pulling the plug on this year, I'd start wondering if the Sabres might consider something centering around Pyatt for O'Neill.

Ruff doesn't seem to be too happy with Pyatt right now and would love to get a guy like O'Neill for the stretch run.

Although, the money would get in the way.

I wonder if something like this could work:

O'Neill and Storr to Buffalo
Pyatt and Biron to Carolina

Vagrant 01-16-2004 06:43 AM

Quote:

O'Neill and Storr to Buffalo
Pyatt and Biron to Carolina

If O'Neill was to be moved, it would have to be something more in the way of team needs than that deal is. Weekes, while not spectacular, has put up some very attractive numbers this season with last night aside. I honestly don't think that goaltending is the major problem with this team. Team defense is good, but pretty old. Scoring is about the worst in the league and the powerplay IS the worst in the league. Clicking at a rate just over 10%. You're not going to win very many games like that.

While Pyatt is pretty tempting in a deal from the 'Canes perspective, we already have a player who is doing Pyatt's job better than he is. Erik Cole, while not the prototypical power forward, is playing a game a lot like one. Pyatt honestly hasn't proven much to sugguest that his stock is on the rise. To the contrary, he's been pretty brutal for stretches during his young career.

Also, why Buffalo would want Jamie Storr is beyond me. With the glut of goaltenders already in the system, you would think that any deal moving Biron would simply be to gain some breathing room from the log jam they've already created in their minor league system. Ryan Miller and Mika Noronen would be a more than capable tandem and i'm not sure that Jamie Storr would have much of a place to go. I'm pretty sure he would have to clear waivers to be sent down to the AHL affiliate so i'm not exactly sure how much sense it would make for the Sabres to take on his salary for a less than lateral move of having him replace either Miller or Noronen in the backup position. Not to mention the fact that Jamie Storr has been pathetic in his brief tenure with Carolina. I think the next stop is overseas for the poor guy. It's a shame too because he seems like a great person.

I think that Carolina is looking for a return similar to the one recieved for Sami Kapanen last season amiss all his turmoil. Perhaps a little more attractive than that. I'm pretty confident that it's going to take a top level prospect to draw the type of return that JR is looking for. I think the Canucks could possibly have what it takes with R.J. Umberger and Byron Allen. That type of deal would whet the appetite of many a 'Canes fan and i'd have to say i'm one of them. As much as I love Jeff O'Neill, that is a deal that is more geared towards the direction this team is going in under Laviolette.

officeglen 01-16-2004 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsaku
The first three would be welcomed on the Habs, how about a deal centered around Buturlin, Traverse and Rivet?

How about a solar system centered around pluto? Doesn't work.

WhoIsJimBob 01-16-2004 06:52 AM

Miller hasn't shown he's ready to be a back up this year.

I only threw Biron and Storr in the deal to balance out the salaries a bit.

And the deal was based on the premise set forth by M=G that the Canes wanted to get younger in an O'Neill deal.

I guess you could probably substitute Kotalik or Afinogenov for Pyatt if you so desired........

Vagrant 01-16-2004 06:57 AM

Quote:

Miller hasn't shown he's ready to be a back up this year.

I only threw Biron and Storr in the deal to balance out the salaries a bit.

And the deal was based on the premise set forth by M=G that the Canes wanted to get younger in an O'Neill deal.

I guess you could probably substitute Kotalik or Afinogenov for Pyatt if you so desired........

Afinogenov or Kotalik would be a dream. Especially Afinogenov. He's exactly the type of forward that this team needs and if he were up for grabs in an O'Neill deal i'd be happy to have him. He's shifty and can single handedly create offense.

How about O'Neill and Svoboda for Afinogenov and Kotalik?

WhoIsJimBob 01-16-2004 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caniacforever
Afinogenov or Kotalik would be a dream. Especially Afinogenov. He's exactly the type of forward that this team needs and if he were up for grabs in an O'Neill deal i'd be happy to have him. He's shifty and can single handedly create offense.

How about O'Neill and Svoboda for Afinogenov and Kotalik?

That deal has the Sabres taking on way more salary than I'd expect Golisano to OK right now. That would add about $1 million to the Sabres payroll for the rest of the season and I'm not sure that the upgrade would be enough to get Golisano to bite.

Plus, I doubt the Sabres would move Kotalik and Afinogenov in one deal. I don't think that the Sabres would be willing to part with that much of the young core of the team to try and make the playoffs this year.

Habsaku 01-16-2004 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by officeglen
How about a solar system centered around pluto? Doesn't work.

Can't people be sarcastic anymore?

officeglen 01-16-2004 07:26 AM

They can be but if a Habs fan suggesting a "trade" might want to add one of these -> ;)