HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tarnstrom Deadline Proposal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=44348)

Steve Latin* 01-16-2004 10:07 AM

Tarnstrom Deadline Proposal

According to McKenzie, Atlanta wants to get defensive help for a playoff run. Looking at their roster, the only offensive d-man they currently have is Kaberle. Would Tarnstrom be a good fit? He's relatively young (28), reasonably priced (~1 million) and adequate defensively (especially if paired with a more physical player). What would Atlanta be willing to give up?

Proposal

To Atlanta: Dick Tarnstrom, Pittsburgh's 2nd round pick.
To Pittsburgh: Patrick Stefan, Jim Slater

Thoughts?

S L

RoyIsALegend* 01-16-2004 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Latin

The Penguins make this deal if it's on the table, in my opinion.

Steve Latin* 01-16-2004 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
The Penguins make this deal if it's on the table, in my opinion.

I would too. But being a Pens fan, I wonder if it's biased in their favor. It hurts Pittsburgh a lot to lose Tarnstrom, but we have young guys coming up that might be able to fill his role.

Slater would be the centerpiece of the deal. He has 13 goals and 18 assists in 13 games this season. Nice numbers, but it remains to be seen if he can fit in at the NHL level. His skating and offensive upside aren't in question, but his size is. He's only 180 pounds... I don't know if his gritty game will work when the defenders have 30 pounds on him.

Despite being a former number one pick in a weak draft year, Stefan really hasn't panned out to much. I can't imagine his value is really high. If he can learn to use his size, I can see him being a decent 2nd line center in the Robert Lang mold.

Looking over Atlanta's stats, Kaberle only has 1 goal. The rest of his points are assists. It looks like they can use a guy with a bigger shot at the point. Pittsburgh's 2nd should be a pretty high pick this year, and Atlanta can replenish some of the quality youth it loses in this deal.

S L

neelynugs 01-16-2004 10:26 AM

too much to ask for IMO. slater is a great young prospect, and stefan still has that potential thing going for him. maybe you'd get slater for tarnstrom, but i don't think atlanta would do it.

Big McLargehuge 01-16-2004 11:00 AM

Drop Slater and it's probably more likely.

Stefan, limited results or not, did go first overall not long ago...

hockey_nut 01-16-2004 11:08 AM

The Pens would jump on that... however... Tarnstrom is a huge defensive liability, since he doesn't know the meaning. I could see the Thrashers going for someone like him, but they'd probably want a defensive minded guy for post-season play... a la Richard Matvichuk.

Bruwinz37 01-16-2004 11:17 AM

Quote:

According to McKenzie, Atlanta wants to get defensive help for a playoff run. Looking at their roster, the only offensive d-man they currently have is Kaberle. Would Tarnstrom be a good fit? He's relatively young (28), reasonably priced (~1 million) and adequate defensively (especially if paired with a more physical player). What would Atlanta be willing to give up?

Proposal

Thoughts?

S L

IMO Atlanta gives up far too much.

Steve Latin* 01-16-2004 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
Drop Slater and it's probably more likely.

Stefan, limited results or not, did go first overall not long ago...

What about dropping Stefan, and moving the Pens second to a 3rd or a 4th?

It would be:

To Atlanta: Pen's 3rd, Tarnstrom
To Pittsburgh: Slater

S L

nikolai19 01-16-2004 11:27 AM

Sorry to pee on your parade Pens fan

I wonder if Atlanta would be interested in Jaroslav Modry. Free agent at years' end, but pretty good defensively and a great PP point man.

Modry for Slater straight up

or

Modry and a 3rd for Tarnqvist

Peter Sidorkiewicz 01-16-2004 02:41 PM

Atlanta does need D but not really an offensive style d-man like Tarnstrom or Modry. We need a veteran leader that can take care of business in our own zone especially with Andy Sutton out and Chris Tamer and Tomas kloucek regularly missing games. We already have offensive type d-man on the team such as Kaberle, Tremblay, Tjarnqvist and Foster who's playing in the AHL.

Tarnstrom and a 2nd for Stefan and Slater is a horrible deal for Atlanta. Slater is a top prospect who is currently having a great season in college so I very much doubt Atlanta will trade him before having a real good look at him in the pros. Stefan has been and important contributor to the thrashers this year playing mainly on the 2nd/3rd line. He's our best defensive forward and still young so he still has time to reach his offensive potential. Trading him, believe or not will leave are huge hole in the lineup that currently no in our team could fill. Atlanta will definately listen for offers for him but we need something back in the proposal that is capable of filling his role. Also I still not convinced whether Tarnstrom will be effective as he is in Pittsburgh. In Pittsburgh he is their no1 d-man playing a lot of minutes. In Atlanta he will likely to slot in the 2nd or 3rd defensive pairing plus PP time. Also Tarnstrom being 29 doesn't help the deal given that we are giving up two young good players and not getting one young player back. Although the 2nd round pick is a high one their is no guarantee who we draft will ever make it.

Modry and a 3rd for Daniel Tjarnqvist.... I think Atlanta might go for that.

Big McLargehuge 01-16-2004 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockey_nut
The Pens would jump on that... however... Tarnstrom is a huge defensive liability, since he doesn't know the meaning. I could see the Thrashers going for someone like him, but they'd probably want a defensive minded guy for post-season play... a la Richard Matvichuk.

Common misconception, while Tarnstrom is no Norstrom he is a solid defensive player, much more so than the average offensive defenseman.

clefty 01-16-2004 05:22 PM

Quote:

Common misconception, while Tarnstrom is no Norstrom he is a solid defensive player, much more so than the average offensive defenseman.

I agree. His coverage is pretty good, and he'll get in there are block shots for you and can do a sound job on the PK. He's far from perfect, but he's not totally inept in his own end. His major shortcoming is his physical game. He simply doesn't have one.

Big McLargehuge 01-16-2004 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clefty
I agree. His coverage is pretty good, and he'll get in there are block shots for you and can do a sound job on the PK. He's far from perfect, but he's not totally inept in his own end. His major shortcoming is his physical game. He simply doesn't have one.

Which isn't suprising for an offensive defenseman.

He's a PP QB who creates offense and prevents it fairly well on the other side of the ice.

I think the board came to his worth being around an early/mid second rounder a few weeks ago.

So that's the first pick in the second round(most likely) and a guy worth a second rounder for Stefan and/or Slater, naturally I'd like Stefan more.

I think Morozov would be a good player to make a deal around too. He has all the talent in the world, like Stefan, but really hasn't done all that much.

Morozov and a second for Stefan perhaps?

Peter Sidorkiewicz 01-16-2004 07:03 PM

Quote:

Morozov and a second for Stefan perhaps?

I'll go for that as an Atlanta fan but can I offer Pittsburgh our 2nd round pick for Kris Beech too? it will end up something like this.

To PIT: Patrik Stefan, ATL's 2nd Round Pick 2004
To ATL: Alesey Morozov, Kris Beech, PIT's 2nd Round Pick 2004.

clefty 01-17-2004 03:48 PM

Nah, you would have to include a good prospect to get Beech.

Although, I'd gladly give up Morozov and Vancouver's 2nd for Stefan.

dats-13 01-17-2004 04:35 PM

Pittsburgh's second is basiccly a first-round pick, to valuable to a rebuilding franchise like pittsburgh IMO...

jmelm 01-17-2004 08:32 PM

Quote:

Proposal

Thoughts?

S L

We can afford Tarnstrom, he is signed at a very reasonable price. He is one of the only good defenseman we have. He is amazing offensively, and reliable defensively, and he is young enough we could keep him for the next 5-8 years.

He should not be traded at all, IMO, unless the offer is mind-blowing or just too good to turn down.

This deal sucks, big time.

baldsince16 01-18-2004 08:06 AM

How about this proposal?
Pens-Tarnstrom, 3rd rounder/Morozov
Thrashers-Stefan, Exelby
Tarnstroms defensive liabilty would not be an issure if he could greatly improve your power play. Which he would, he was on a pace for an incredible season when put together with Mario and Kovy on the power play. I can imagine if he is paired with Kovulchuk and Heatly, that would make a very dangerous power play. As for Morozov, he was on his way to reaching his potential playing on a line with Kovy and Straka, until he broke his wrist. If you put him on a line with Kovulchuk alone he would become what everyone thought he would be. Morozov has great playmaking ability and a wicked wrist shot. Both guys are around the same age and would waste the better part of the careers in Pittsburgh seeing that Edzo's system is not offensive oriented. By the time the rest of the Penguins talent comes to fruition their betters years are behing them. I would like to get something better for Morozov, but his numbers this year won't allow it.

SuburbanRhythm 01-18-2004 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dats-13
Pittsburgh's second is basiccly a first-round pick, to valuable to a rebuilding franchise like pittsburgh IMO...

Agree...if they make a move, and include a 2nd, it will be VAN's, from the Hedberg deal.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina 01-18-2004 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woobie82
Agree...if they make a move, and include a 2nd, it will be VAN's, from the Hedberg deal.

I agree. I only want Pittsburgh's 2nd moved if a great deal comes along, or if it involves a first round pick coming the other way.

Peter Sidorkiewicz 01-18-2004 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baldsince16
How about this proposal?
Pens-Tarnstrom, 3rd rounder/Morozov
Thrashers-Stefan, Exelby
Tarnstroms defensive liabilty would not be an issure if he could greatly improve your power play. Which he would, he was on a pace for an incredible season when put together with Mario and Kovy on the power play. I can imagine if he is paired with Kovulchuk and Heatly, that would make a very dangerous power play. As for Morozov, he was on his way to reaching his potential playing on a line with Kovy and Straka, until he broke his wrist. If you put him on a line with Kovulchuk alone he would become what everyone thought he would be. Morozov has great playmaking ability and a wicked wrist shot. Both guys are around the same age and would waste the better part of the careers in Pittsburgh seeing that Edzo's system is not offensive oriented. By the time the rest of the Penguins talent comes to fruition their betters years are behing them. I would like to get something better for Morozov, but his numbers this year won't allow it.

Forget It! Exelby is off limits plus we don't want any defensive liabilities on this team. We still have Kaberle, Kovalchuk, Tremblay and Heatley capable of playing the point of the PP.

btn 01-18-2004 05:06 PM

With Kovalchuks play the Thrashers now have two forwards that can play the PPQB spot, so that is not a big concern.

The main problem is their lack of a true offensive defenseman(sorry Peter). Tremblay is finally playing his way off of the Thrashers, and Kaberle is a very well rounded player but I would not call him terribly offensive minded.

The Thrashers IMO have perhaps too many "tough guy" defensive d-men. Sutton, Majesky, Exelby, Tamer, and have added both JLGP and Kloucek this year, the last thing they need is yet another one.

Tarnstrom would be a welcome addition to the team. The problem is the Thrashers are not terribly deep on prospects. Stefan is the Thrashers best defensive forward, so I do not see him going anywhere. Slater is probably the Thrashers most valuable non-NHL asset other than Lehtonen and Coburn.

Slater-Tremblay for Tarnstrom-middle of the pack forward prospect

baldsince16 01-18-2004 06:12 PM

"We still have Kaberle, Kovalchuk, Tremblay and Heatley capable of playing the point of the PP"
I can see that, Atlanta is converting power plays at a whopping 14.2%(20th in the league). Trust me, Tarnstrom isn't as much as a liability as you think. You have to remember he is playing with Marc Bergevin, Drake Berehowsky, and Josef Melichar. Tarnstrom could definitely help out on the point. When he was Lemieux and Kovy at the begining of last year they were converting at over 30% last year. Then he hurt his foot and the rest is history.

baldsince16 01-18-2004 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btn
With Kovalchuks play the Thrashers now have two forwards that can play the PPQB spot, so that is not a big concern.

The main problem is their lack of a true offensive defenseman(sorry Peter). Tremblay is finally playing his way off of the Thrashers, and Kaberle is a very well rounded player but I would not call him terribly offensive minded.

The Thrashers IMO have perhaps too many "tough guy" defensive d-men. Sutton, Majesky, Exelby, Tamer, and have added both JLGP and Kloucek this year, the last thing they need is yet another one.

Tarnstrom would be a welcome addition to the team. The problem is the Thrashers are not terribly deep on prospects. Stefan is the Thrashers best defensive forward, so I do not see him going anywhere. Slater is probably the Thrashers most valuable non-NHL asset other than Lehtonen and Coburn.

Slater-Tremblay for Tarnstrom-middle of the pack forward prospect

I am not a big fan of Tremblay but I can see this
Slater/Tremblay for Tarnstrom/Murley

DJ Spinoza 01-18-2004 08:57 PM

How about just moving Tarnstrom to Atlanta for a second round pick. Maybe even first, it might be near the end. I guess it depends on if Atlanta is interested in Tarnstrom. I think they could use him.

Pittsburgh at this point would be foolish to give up any of it's higher picks or prospects who looks great so far, even for Stefan. They can and probably will dump Tarnstrom off pretty cheaply.

How about Tarnstrom for Karl Stewart? Maybe pick(s) can be added. :dunno:

I don't see Atlanta moving Stefan at this point. I'd love to have him, but I just don't think it will happen. Stewart is a pretty quick and very hard working two way player, the type of player I think Edzo would like and the Penguins would be likely to add to their team. Young and cheap, too.